Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='dwhelan']Same here and when I try to go back and re-enter the code -- it says it is no longer valid.[/quote]

Don't worry, just follow these steps:

1. Launch the Xbox Dashboard
2. Sign into your Profile
3. Go to the Marketplace blade
4. Select “Account Management”
5. Select “Download History”
6. Under the “Games” section, select “Gears of War 2 Gold-Plated Lancer Assault Rifle”
7. When the blade appears, select “Download Again”
8. Wait until the “download complete” confirmation toast appears

If you're already on NXE:

1. Launch the Xbox 360 Dashboard
2. Sign into a Profile
3. Go to the My Xbox channel
4. Select your profile (second selection) and press A
5. Select “Account Management”
6. Select “Download History”
7. Under the “Games” section, select “Gears of War 2 Gold-Plated Lancer Assault Rifle”
8. When the blade appears, select “Download Again”
9. Wait until the “download complete” confirmation toast appears

I’ve heard reports of people having to try re-downloading it a couple of times, so if you still get an error, please wait a few minutes and try again. Also, try deleting the original download, and THEN re-downloading it. As long as you entered the code and initiated the original download, deleting this won't cause any re-download issues.

Of course not. Me and my hot asian wife will co-op this on insane. You guys can play with your boys over live *wink*.

Course I'm still not getting it to Xmas, but thats because I'm too poor right now/outta budget.

Well good luck.

Horde is so very fun. The AI implements human strategies, such as lobbing grenades over the wall in the center portion of Pavilion as a countermeasure to my team camping the area. Oh, and Gears 2 looks amazing. The level of detail borders disorder.

I want a gold lancer code I don't care about the other weapon. so if someone has an extra lancer code hook me up please.

Really loving the campaign so far, and of course having a blast with CAGs, GoodBurp, Hitman, DCriminal, just to name a few. Meat Flags pretty interesting.

[quote name='moojuice']Is Hardcore even really that hard? Granted, I just finished the Hospital, but it seems way too easy.[/QUOTE]

It's a good difficulty to start off on.

Admittedly, horde is harder than I thought it was going to be.
I got to level 20 or so and we all died when I thought we were going to at least make it to 30s...
Gears of War 2 is awesome.

im pretty damn pissed about not being able to find GoW2 LE anywhere. i was so looking forward to getting it. it ruined my great day..

[quote name='moojuice']Is Hardcore even really that hard? Granted, I just finished the Hospital, but it seems way too easy.[/quote]

It did seem a little easy at first, but I'm sure it will be harder towards the end. Especially if there's another battle like the one at the end of the first game. General RAAM is, to this day, one of the most ridiculously difficult boss battles I've ever fought. I was never able to bet it on insane, and hardcore took me 30-40 tries.

I hate seeing games where the kills are 80% chainsaw. Least a shotgun requires you to aim, Chainsaw requires you to smash a button/run into someone and hold B

Yeah I'm getting occasional "Could not connect to Host" errors in matchmaking which seperates me from my friends. I had this exact same error in Gears 1 and they fixed it via a patch and now they went and broke it again.

Well I got a surprise today. A coworker got Gears and doesn't like online play so he's never hooked up his XBOX to Gold in the 2 years he's had it. He pre-ordered from Gamestop and picked it up today while we were at work. They had saved him one of the midnight launch gold hammerbust cards as well as the exclusive theme for pre-ordering at Gamestop. Since he doesn't go online he offered them to someone and guess who has those cards and his extra map pack card now? :)

[quote name='dastly75']Yeah I'm getting occasional "Could not connect to Host" errors in matchmaking which seperates me from my friends. I had this exact same error in Gears 1 and they fixed it via a patch and now they went and broke it again.[/quote]
I am getting "connect reset by remote parties" or something like that, over and over.

I also had to DL the damn gold lancer 5 times before it went through. Of course the giant map pack went through first try.

[quote name='-BigC-']I hate seeing games where the kills are 80% chainsaw. Least a shotgun requires you to aim, Chainsaw requires you to smash a button/run into someone and hold B[/quote]You mean...every game where the kills are 80%+ chainsaw kills?

Wow, they COMPLETELY fucked the online aspect of Gears. Death by enviornment, really? The gas in Garden is one thing, but now snow and hail? Wow. Add that to the fact that they changed all the weapons for the "casual" gamer and screwed over all the loyal gamers! It's sad. I'll be spending my time on CoD5.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Wow, they COMPLETELY fucked the online aspect of Gears. Death by enviornment, really? The gas in Garden is one thing, but now snow and hail? Wow. Add that to the fact that they changed all the weapons for the "casual" gamer and screwed over all the loyal gamers! It's sad. I'll be spending my time on CoD5.[/quote]

Sorry my friend, but CoD:W@W is even worse. You just run, run... more running. And finally kill. Then, when you think you're good, you spawn right next to an enemy or they spawn next to you and death comes much quicker. I think it's garbage.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Wow, they COMPLETELY fucked the online aspect of Gears. Death by enviornment, really? The gas in Garden is one thing, but now snow and hail? Wow. [/quote]As I stated before in this thread, that shit is very easy to avoid if you look for the signs of their arrival:

Hail - the light rain comes down for 10 seconds before the razor hail begins.
Avalanche - the town sirens go off, giving you a 5 second warning of the incoming avalanche.
Security - (although it's not really "weather") the computer warns you 5 seconds before the laser gates come back on.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Add that to the fact that they changed all the weapons for the "casual" gamer and screwed over all the loyal gamers! It's sad. I'll be spending my time on CoD5.[/quote]What changes are you referring to?

I'm liking this game. All of the additions they made are working out great, and Hoarde has been a lot of fun, but I haven't played it too much yet. The campaign has been great so far, but I'm going to try and ignore the info collecting the first time through since it was breaking up the action too much.

I think submission is a great new mode, but my team couldn't figure out where to take our guy and score it. I love CTF, though, and the meat flag makes it unique.

I don't see how any fans from the Gears 1 multiplayer could be upset with Gears 2. It's the same thing, with just a few small changes.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Add that to the fact that they changed all the weapons for the "casual" gamer and screwed over all the loyal gamers! It's sad. I'll be spending my time on CoD5.[/quote]

What? They changed a few weapons up a bit and added a few new ones, but a majority of them are nearly identical to the way they were in Gears 1.

The torque, boom, boltok, frags, and pistol are exactly like they were in the first. The lancer and hammerburst were changed for the better. Shotty/snipes were toned down, like they should have been.

The one weapon they maybe changed too much was the dawn.

Trak/x/Zew...is the best way to use an Ink Grenade is to tag someone with it? I can't seem to do much damage just throwing it at someone.

Menik...sorry I ignored the invite, I've been going through co-op with my friend.

I got the limited edition.. but it doesnt seem to want to give me the lancer. I got the 5 old maps... but I get wierd messages about "not being able to download product at this time" and stuff...

anyone else get this?

I'm up for doing a round at Horde at noon if anyone is interested. Just make it easier than Hardcore. I'm sick of being stuck at Hardcore difficulty in random matches.

Mine shipped from amazon on the 5th but due to the super saver shipping wont be here till around the 14th. However it is in Hazzlewood(SP?) MO last I checked and they said it was there the 5th. I live in granite city IL about 20 minutes or so outside of St. Louis MO so I hope to get this today. Chances are I wont get it till monday and wont be able to play it till next thursday night or friday. I just hope this doesn't end up like the last 2 games I bought and had high expectations for.

[quote name='seanr1221']Trak/x/Zew...is the best way to use an Ink Grenade is to tag someone with it? I can't seem to do much damage just throwing it at someone.

Menik...sorry I ignored the invite, I've been going through co-op with my friend.[/quote]

The ink grenade isn't the best weapon to use offensively unless you're playing an objective game like KotH or Submission. It's useful in those gametypes because it can block the objective spot and end up killing a bunch of people.

That being said, 95% of the time I throw it. If you tag them though, you'll likely at least down them. If you down them with it and it's execution, you can't get in to execute them without hurting yourself in the process.

[quote name='seanr1221']Trak/x/Zew...is the best way to use an Ink Grenade is to tag someone with it? I can't seem to do much damage just throwing it at someone.[/quote]No, I never tag anyone with it - but it's best usage depends on the gametype:

For Elimination style matches (Execution, Warzone, Guardian) I think it's best planted on walls as a defense mechanism (since your poison can't hurt teammates but can give you a major edge over any rush coming your way). I'm a big fan of distractions in this game (with the goal of grabbing a power weapon to win me the match), so using the poison as a deterrent that allows you to run down in the water on River and grab the Boomshot, for example, isn't a bad way to use it either. Sometimes in Elimination games, the poison is kind of like the smoke grenade from Gears 1 for me - more of a deterrent/distraction than a "weapon" per se.

In non-Elimination style matches (Submission, KotH, Annex) I've found that they are more of an offensive style weapon - especially in the hills/zones you have to capture. When you throw a poison grenade in a circle any opposing team member will obviously get hurt, but all your teammates can rush into the area and take it without suffering the poison effects. This can also be used once your team has the hill/zone to protect them from any invading enemies (again, a deterrent). If you throw/plant a poison near the enemy team when they have the meatflag, the damage done to them will cause the meatflag to drop out of their hands and knock them down as well. If you wanted to protect your meatflag capture spot with a poison grenade, that would work, too.

[quote name='help1']Is matchmaking still broken as shit? I was stuck playing against bots because it was taking forever last night.[/quote]How many people were you in a party with? If you have two people, do Wingman (as there are very few parties of three). If you have three people, wait for/find a fourth because the search time is ridicuolous. If you have four, your wait will be better, but still not very fast. If you have five, it's lightning fast.

[quote name='Trakan']The ink grenade isn't the best weapon to use offensively unless you're playing an objective game like KotH or Submission. It's useful in those gametypes because it can block the objective spot and end up killing a bunch of people.

That being said, 95% of the time I throw it. If you tag them though, you'll likely at least down them. If you down them with it and it's execution, you can't get in to execute them without hurting yourself in the process.[/quote]

Trak is right. The ink is good to stick near objectives or potential objectives. If you are playing Annex you can pretty much guess where the next circle is going to be and give your team an advantage in getting that area.

That said, he is right about throwing it. Throwing it on a power weapon is also a good move if there is a fight. Basically it all depends on the flow of the match and where the fight is going down.

Loving the game so far. Put 7-8 hours in to the campaign on Hardcore in splitscreen with a buddy yesterday. Game is much larger is scale/more epic compared to the first one and the graphics are damn impressive.

Can't wait to get some more time in. Will probably start up a solo campaign on normal just to play through the game not in split screen, as well as checking out horde and the regular online mode. Will have to wait until tonight though as I have to get some work done first for a conference next week.

[quote name='help1']Is matchmaking still broken as shit? I was stuck playing against bots because it was taking forever last night.[/QUOTE]

It's going to be "broken as shit" for you for a long time.

This is really odd, every time I go to play some solo campaign the option is greyed out in the menu and it will not let me pick it. It seems random, because when it happens I reset the xbox then I can select it no problem.

Had a blast last night, played from 10:30-4. It would have been 3(pm)-4(am) but I worked until 10.
I'd be playing right now, but I have a shift at 2 :(
For those that are on my friends list, when I'm playing campaign and I'm joinable, feel free to come in!

I LOVE the Whats Up? feature that allows you to see what everyone playing GOW 2 is doing and it makes it VERY EASY to invite people.

[quote name='Trakan']Shotty/snipes were toned down, like they should have been.[/quote]

The damn shotgun just seems to be too powerful/accurate given that last night and this morning there were 2 people that killed me with a single shotgun blast to the head. I can understand point blank but half the time they were about 10 ft away from me.

Forgot to mention a bad glitch we ran into. My buddy got stuck on cover and couldn't shoot or move off from it.

I just fought on and got to the next checkpoint to warp him ahead. It did, but he was still stuck crouched down adn couldn't move or shoot even though he wasn't on cover any more. :D Just had to reload to that checkpoint I'd just hit and that fixed it.

There was also a time after a fire fight that Baird was just floating about 3 feet in the air like he was standing on a rock or something that wasn't there.

But those are pretty minor and didn't detract from the fun much at all.

I really wish I could get into a game that wasn't laggy.

I'm sick of running and having it hiccup every couple steps.

I opened up my ports since I was running on a new router, but still - no dice.

bread's done
Back