Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Am I forgetting something?

In the EGM review 2 of the reviewers mention something like "a platforming stage that could've been ripped right out of Super Mario" is in Gears 2. WTF are they talking about? Where you ride the Brumak? What am I forgetting here?

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Am I forgetting something?

In the EGM review 2 of the reviewers mention something like "a platforming stage that could've been ripped right out of Super Mario" is in Gears 2. WTF are they talking about? Where you ride the Brumak? What am I forgetting here?
[/QUOTE]

Maybe it was:
The part where you're in the giant worm avoiding the grinding teeth? That's about my only guess other than yours

missed out on chac's invite

that's cool though

gripes:
-wtf is up with the chainsaw. it revs up way too fast and has ridiculous range. i'll be shotgunning someone and then it's roll cancel into chainsaw, what a bunch of bs.

-shotgun still feels random. i got 1 shot killed by it several times for no reason, i wasn't even that close.

i like the game though
but i hate playing with pickup partners, would like it if more people realized the awesomeness of the hammerburst. just like halo3 and all the AR noobs.

[quote name='tgk2044']Maybe it was:
The part where you're in the giant worm avoiding the grinding teeth? That's about my only guess other than yours
[/QUOTE]

You know, I totally agree with that now that I think about it
It totally reminds me of having to run fast underneath the Thwomps or Game Over. It might be something else, but I got to admit I think you got it right.

[quote name='kainzero']

i like the game though
but i hate playing with pickup partners, would like it if more people realized the awesomeness of the hammerburst. just like halo3 and all the AR noobs.[/QUOTE]
I totally like the hammerburst better. But in many matches, everyone just runs around and chainsaws and you have to have the lancer to compete, as things are now.

[quote name='IOnceWasLegend']Also, did anybody listen to the message after the credits?[/quote]

Yes. I would've missed it if I weren't waiting for some Cole Train rap to start. The credits need more Cole Train :(

[quote name='kainzero']

gripes:
-wtf is up with the chainsaw. it revs up way too fast and has ridiculous range. i'll be shotgunning someone and then it's roll cancel into chainsaw, what a bunch of bs.

but i hate playing with pickup partners, would like it if more people realized the awesomeness of the hammerburst...[/quote]

ROLL BACK. Walking speed has been slowed down considerably. The tornado pull effect of Gears 1 chainsaw also has been removed. It is so easy to roll back and escape now because of lessened range and walking speed. I don't worry about chainsaw. In fact, I love it when people run up to chainsaw because they think everyone has a Lancer, which I only use Hammerburst. Remember, it only takes two quick shots of Hammerburst to disrupt their chainsaw animation so unless they can react quickly enough to let go the chainsaw button, it's a free down. If it's a super close range fight, you also have melee whereas the Lancer has shit. If you can time it correctly, you can make a chainsawer walk right into your hit and disrupt them. But this is more of a last ditch effort. The timing window is very small.

[quote name='nintendokid']ROLL BACK. Walking speed has been slowed down considerably. The tornado pull effect of Gears 1 chainsaw also has been removed. It is so easy to roll back and escape now because of lessened range and walking speed. I don't worry about chainsaw. In fact, I love it when people run up to chainsaw because they think everyone has a Lancer, which I only use Hammerburst. Remember, it only takes two quick shots of Hammerburst to disrupt their chainsaw animation so unless they can react quickly enough to let go the chainsaw button, it's a free down. If it's a super close range fight, you also have melee whereas the Lancer has shit. If you can time it correctly, you can make a chainsawer walk right into your hit and disrupt them. But this is more of a last ditch effort. The timing window is very small.[/QUOTE]

Your rollback suggestion does work, maybe half the time. Because much of the time someone is trying to chainsaw me, I have a piece of cover or wall right behind me.

Another thing I realized really helps with chainsaw happy groups is body shields. They can't be chainsawed through. It's hilarious to watch someone revving their chainsaw at you and nothing is happening while you pistol shoot them/pistol whip them in the face.

That level that was "ripped out of Mario" was funny as hell, me and my friend were playing co-op and humming one of the mario theme songs.

I started using the lancer last night, it feels like the stopping power is a lot better on it because of the ammount of bullets it fires. It feels like it is a lot better vs the chainsaw rush then the Hammerburst

[quote name='nintendokid']ROLL BACK. Walking speed has been slowed down considerably. The tornado pull effect of Gears 1 chainsaw also has been removed. It is so easy to roll back and escape now because of lessened range and walking speed. I don't worry about chainsaw. In fact, I love it when people run up to chainsaw because they think everyone has a Lancer, which I only use Hammerburst. Remember, it only takes two quick shots of Hammerburst to disrupt their chainsaw animation so unless they can react quickly enough to let go the chainsaw button, it's a free down. If it's a super close range fight, you also have melee whereas the Lancer has shit. If you can time it correctly, you can make a chainsawer walk right into your hit and disrupt them. But this is more of a last ditch effort. The timing window is very small.[/quote]

Good advice, but the "tornado pull effect" is still there. I've gotten a few bullshit deaths because of it.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I totally like the hammerburst better. But in many matches, everyone just runs around and chainsaws and you have to have the lancer to compete, as things are now.[/quote]

So.....are you saying that the MP is kinda like it was in Gears 1? With circule strafe shotgunning all the time and chainsaws?

teamshot hammerburst changes the dimension of the game from the shotgun battles in GoW1.

but no one does it.
in my last few matches i got like 30 downs and 2 kills because no one understands it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']So.....are you saying that the MP is kinda like it was in Gears 1? With circule strafe shotgunning all the time and chainsaws?[/QUOTE]

No, circle strafing isn't a very viable mechanic unless you are the host.

[quote name='Trakan']Good advice, but the "tornado pull effect" is still there. I've gotten a few bullshit deaths because of it.[/quote]
Indeed.

[quote name='thrustbucket']No, circle strafing isn't a very viable mechanic unless you are the host.[/quote]

Indeed. I have yet to see any shotgun strafing. Multiplayer doesn't really work like that anymore.

If any CAG is still playing GoW1, I'm playing the campaign on Insane. For some reason, I haven't gotten the achievements for it (even though I completed it, I must not have logged on my live account or something). Anyhow, I'm doing a re-run of it, so if any CAG hasn't gotten the achievements for GOW1 Insane difficulty, now might be your chance!

PM me.

I just wasted twenty minutes waiting for the credits, for som crappy voiceover. I thought it would be a cinematic. Oh well.

Add me to play: XxLayziebonesXx

Just beat it with my friend and goddammit
can any title have a complete ending that doesn't leave it wide ass open for a sequel?
. Other then that, it was fun while it lasted and head shots (and hammer of dawn) never get old.

I wish more games looked at mass effect because
they have the open ended ending in that game but they concluded and wrapped up that entire chapter without hanging, unlike gears >_< damn it!

Looks like another two years or so before we
get a complete ending or better yet another cliffhanger. A Part of me wants to hate this game just for that, but it's sooooo polished and fun no matter how I try to slice it. That and the character development (specifically with Dom) was something I wasn't expecting and was pleasantly surprised by.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I wish more games looked at mass effect because
they have the open ended ending in that game but they concluded and wrapped up that entire chapter without hanging, unlike gears >_< damn it!
[/QUOTE]

Ehh. I thought Gears 2 wrapped up fine, yeah it left a cliffhhanger, but it was enough of a conclusion for me to be satisfied.

Hearing Adam Fenix at the end of the credits was pretty cool and got me excited for Gears 3. 'Cept I thought his voice was really weird and wasn't what I would've imagined at all.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Ehh. I thought Gears 2 wrapped up fine, yeah it left a cliffhhanger, but it was enough of a conclusion for me to be satisfied.

Hearing Adam Fenix at the end of the credits was pretty cool and got me excited for Gears 3. 'Cept I thought his voice was really weird and wasn't what I would've imagined at all.
[/quote]

I do agree
I do wish though that studios stop having "cliffhanger' crutches in their games...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I do agree
I do wish though that studios stop having "cliffhanger' crutches in their games...
[/QUOTE]

No More Heroes.

Hit me up guys if you want to play HORDE. Tons of fun with a good group.

Also, I just beat the game and thought it was a blast.

[quote name='R1V3R5']Hit me up guys if you want to play HORDE. Tons of fun with a good group.

Also, I just beat the game and thought it was a blast.[/quote]

I need to go through horde 37-50. Add me if your up for it gt: genfuyung

So you think stores will get more copies in at some point? How long was the LE for the original GoW available for? If I can get it for a cheaper price at a later date I'd rather wait.

Last night got into a game of submission on blood drive. The meatflag somehow went up into the air further and further. You could shoot him, he could shoot you. Then he eventually disappeared. We then spent 45 minutes killing each other, hoping it would reset, till I got bored.

Damn...lots of shitty wingman matches last night...at one point I got downed and there was no one around me...the blood logo indicator didn't even come on...I just fell, then someone from a few yards down saw me came up to me and finished me off...that was pretty whack.

Also starting to see the host advantage a lot more now...a host shotty can take you down with two shots at a long distance while a non-host shotty needs 3 or 4 shots at long range. Shit sucked last night...haven't been so pissed in a while...stopped and played Banjo-Kazooie...all was good :D

bread's done
Back