Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='ZForce915']Question about the box art. I just bought this from a guy in Canada and my box art has the english/french text all over it (similar to how a lot of the Nintendo games look). Is that standard across the board?[/QUOTE]

No the US GOW2 back cover is all English. Nintendo is just too lazy to print different covers for different regions.

If anyone wants to play I will be one for at least 3 hours.

11:30 Central time at least its 8:30 right now.

I will play any mode I don't care

[quote name='Owen']No the US GOW2 back cover is all English. Nintendo is just too lazy to print different covers for different regions.[/QUOTE]

Lousy Canadians. Oh well, it all plays the same.

Alright for the "kill someone with every single weapon" cheesemint is the last gun on the last level or something? I have had 14/15 for at least 3 levels and I cant figure out what gun I havent used.

Hammer of dawn is the only thing I can think of and I havent seen a part that I was suppose to use it on.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Alright for the "kill someone with every single weapon" cheesemint is the last gun on the last level or something? I have had 14/15 for at least 3 levels and I cant figure out what gun I havent used.

Hammer of dawn is the only thing I can think of and I havent seen a part that I was suppose to use it on.[/QUOTE]

You definitely have to use the Hammer of Dawn to complete that achievement. There were multiple parts from what I remember where the HoD was usable in the last couple of levels

[quote name='Soodmeg']Alright for the "kill someone with every single weapon" cheesemint is the last gun on the last level or something? I have had 14/15 for at least 3 levels and I cant figure out what gun I havent used.

Hammer of dawn is the only thing I can think of and I havent seen a part that I was suppose to use it on.[/quote]

[quote name='MastaGamer']You definitely have to use the Hammer of Dawn to complete that achievement. There were multiple parts from what I remember where the HoD was usable in the last couple of levels[/quote]

You pick up the hammer of dawn about halfway through act 5. From there you can use it at any point in the rest of the act
except for the part where you ride the brumak of course
and you should get credit for it.

Did you get the one for the ink grenades? That's the one me and lots of other people tend to miss.

[quote name='StarKnightX']You pick up the hammer of dawn about halfway through act 5. From there you can use it at any point in the rest of the act
except for the part where you ride the brumak of course
and you should get credit for it.

Did you get the one for the ink grenades? That's the one me and lots of other people tend to miss.[/quote]

Nope I got that one. It must be HoD because I havent used it yet this game. I didnt know if it was actually in this game or not.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Nope I got that one. It must be HoD because I havent used it yet this game. I didnt know if it was actually in this game or not.[/quote]

The HoD should be around the skirmish you fight just before you reach the sinkhole I believe , which in turn is I think right after the part where you and dom split up through the streets/parking garage. Anya even mentions something about the hammer being brought online around that point.

The easiest way I think would be to just listen for when Anya makes a mention about it then check around that area , you should find it. Then just fry some of the incoming locusts with it and that should do it.

[quote name='ZForce915']Question about the box art. I just bought this from a guy in Canada and my box art has the english/french text all over it (similar to how a lot of the Nintendo games look). Is that standard across the board?[/quote]

Canada has a French part to it so I'm going to assume that the guy was from Quebec? If he was from there that could explain the French text.

[quote name='StarKnightX']The HoD should be around the skirmish you fight just before you reach the sinkhole I believe , which in turn is I think right after the part where you and dom split up through the streets/parking garage. Anya even mentions something about the hammer being brought online around that point.

The easiest way I think would be to just listen for when Anya makes a mention about it then check around that area , you should find it. Then just fry some of the incoming locusts with it and that should do it.[/quote]

Seconds after you posted this I got the HoD and the cheese. Thanks everyone.

Just beat it. It was decent.

I am going to wait for a full wiki page to even go into the plot...which confused the hell out of me.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Canada has a French part to it so I'm going to assume that the guy was from Quebec? If he was from there that could explain the French text.[/quote]

Canada is bilingual. Pretty much every package on every item in the country has both english and french text on it. Doesn't matter what part of the country you buy it from.

[quote name='ZForce915']Lousy Canadians. Oh well, it all plays the same.[/quote]

in Canada it's law for all consumer products to be labeled in both English and french, cuz we're sick like that. (Orange Box says "La Boite Orange" on the front.)

anyway, what's the gamertag for the gears of war 2 friend locator or whatever?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt think the ink grenades counted for the 15 different weapons ach? I got the achievement and I never killed anyone with it. Hell I still havent killed anyone with it.

What exactly was confusing about the story?
Half the game is Dom's quest to find what is ultimatly a "dead" maria. The locust are fighting the locust that were infected by imulsion(can't remember the name off hand). Marcus and the boys sink jacinto to flood the locust underground and kill the infected/normal locust. Adam Fenix is mentioned by the locust queen as being an important person to basically everyone in the game. After jacinto is sank you can hear him crying out "what have you done?"

Hopefully the gameplay update hinted at in that post includes a heavy nerf to the chainsaw.

In fact, at this point, it would not hurt my feelings at all if the chainsaw was totally removed from public games.

The Damn update did NOT reduce wait times. It takes a long ass time for it to find teammates. I have not been able to play a Public Match since I got the game and the update isn't helping.

they need to fix the problem where everyone gets booted off a host on public. expecially on horde, pisses me off when you get far and all of a sudden everyone gets booted.

The chainsaw is not broken, so no need to update it. I could see making it take more then a split second to rev, but even that isnt horrible.

[quote name='Littlefields']Here's an idea: How about they actually make it possible for you to lower the chainsaw when you shoot the opponent?[/quote]

What are you talking about? They don't need to fix that once you get shot with a clip and a half of a lancer or 2 clips of shotgun it drops whats wrong with that?. (lol)

Just stop thinking its Gears of War 1, when you see a chainsaw/person with a lancer coming towards you just back up. Hammerburst owns the lancer everytime, just roll back and wait til he tries to advance on you and use that stopping power to put him down. And if you must run away then turn around and catch him running in a straight line chasing you, easy kill....

Do you people with the roll back 'solution' know that most of the time rolling back is usually not feasible or a good idea? In a game with a heavy focus on walls(for cover), the map design doesn't lend itself to big open spaces to roll backwards in.

[quote name='dastly75']Do you people with the roll back 'solution' know that most of the time rolling back is usually not feasible or a good idea? In a game with a heavy focus on walls(for cover), the map design doesn't lend itself to big open spaces to roll backwards in.[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been trying to say.

Most of the time someone charges at you, and you try to roll away, you aren't in an open space, and you'll just stick to a wall instead.

[quote name='Lacuna Requiem']Haven't played gears 2 in about 4 days, matchmaking is fixed? :D[/quote]

Yup. I can no go in solo and get games within 2 minutes, whereas before it took me about 25 minutes, if I got a match at all.

[quote name='help1']Yup. I can no go in solo and get games within 2 minutes, whereas before it took me about 25 minutes, if I got a match at all.[/quote]
Awesome, thanks for the heads up! :applause:

[quote name='Lacuna Requiem']Awesome, thanks for the heads up! :applause:[/quote]
Yeah, instead of waiting 30 minutes for a match to start, you just have to wait 20 minutes!

fukk dood I'm done with this game!

DONE! I say!!

I spent the last 3 hours playing multiplayer online... and I jus cannot figure out wtheck is going on!!

it's like I'm trying to shoot ppl but I cant!! and yet everyone can shoot me!!

I tried shooting then aiming, I tried using shotgun at close range, I tried melee into shoot from the hip, the only way I can kill sum1 is with chainsaw!!

and if I'm running I keep getting hit, yet I have hella hard time hitting other ppl who are running...

my freakin head a splode while running also!! by a sniper, wtf how are they so good?!?!

anyway this game is balls... I'm putting it on goozex.

shooters suck man... I'm happy with my 75% win ratio on Street Fighter HD at least...

You have to know the maps to know how to get away from a chainsaw user, if you roll at them you can normally get right by. Nothing wrong with the chainsaw, just people cant adjust to the new game and want to complain...

Things needed fixing I realized tonight
1. People quitting, nearly half the games the host quit to avoid getting a loss on his record
2. Someone did a stand by on me, we won the first round then they did it. Tried fighting us straight up and we won the next 2 in a row after that. Then got hit 2 times with it again before we all exited to dashboard to avoid the bullshit.

I know this is in the wrong place, but I can't post in the trading code thread, so does anyone have an unused gold lancer code? I have 1600 m$ points more than willing to trade. PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

And yea, before the update I could never get a match on my own. But in a party it took maybe less than a minute?

[quote name='-BigC-']You have to know the maps to know how to get away from a chainsaw user, if you roll at them you can normally get right by. Nothing wrong with the chainsaw, just people cant adjust to the new game and want to complain...

1. People quitting, nearly half the games the host quit to avoid getting a loss on his record
2. Someone did a stand by on me, we won the first round then they did it. Tried fighting us straight up and we won the next 2 in a row after that. Then got hit 2 times with it again before we all exited to dashboard to avoid the bullshit.[/QUOTE]

If you quit early, even if you get disconnected, it is a bigger mark against your rank than losing.

[quote name='-BigC-']You have to know the maps to know how to get away from a chainsaw user, if you roll at them you can normally get right by. Nothing wrong with the chainsaw, just people cant adjust to the new game and want to complain...

2. Someone did a stand by on me, we won the first round then they did it. Tried fighting us straight up and we won the next 2 in a row after that. Then got hit 2 times with it again before we all exited to dashboard to avoid the bullshit.[/quote]I'm not sure if this is due to people quitting but Ive had a bunch of games where my team is missing members. There was even this game where I was the only person on my team, going against 5 people. They need to fix the matchmaking fast, or at least making a penalty for leaving a game.

[quote name='JEKKI']fukk dood I'm done with this game!

DONE! I say!!

I spent the last 3 hours playing multiplayer online... and I jus cannot figure out wtheck is going on!!

it's like I'm trying to shoot ppl but I cant!! and yet everyone can shoot me!!

I tried shooting then aiming, I tried using shotgun at close range, I tried melee into shoot from the hip, the only way I can kill sum1 is with chainsaw!!

and if I'm running I keep getting hit, yet I have hella hard time hitting other ppl who are running...

my freakin head a splode while running also!! by a sniper, wtf how are they so good?!?!

anyway this game is balls... I'm putting it on goozex.

shooters suck man... I'm happy with my 75% win ratio on Street Fighter HD at least...[/QUOTE]

www.dictionary.com

About 90% or more of the games I win now the other team leaves, I know I am winning and that is all I really play for is to win/have fun but it kind of sucks not getting that on my record.

I loved the first one, so this was going to be an easy game for me to like..

but DAMN! they improved it in every way!

just got done playing wingman with a buddy for like.. 3 hours

2300 kills and counting..

The matchmaking is not fixed in my brief experience with it. Today I tried to join public "player's choice" and "elimination" matches. Spent about 30 minutes waiting and only got into a single elimination match. None of my XBL friends were playing Gears 2, so I was trying to find a match by myself. My NAT settings are correct - "open".

I know this has been discussed before but this is my first time trying Gears 2 online. Getting dumped back to the matchmaking menu after a match is just ridiculous. Great, now I get to wait another half hour.

Just because the 360 says your nat is open it might not be enturely true. If you are using a modem with a router the 360 only looks at the router when your modem might be restricting communication (I had this problem for a while).

bread's done
Back