Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

[quote name='dastly75']Although, some people are moved to play games solely based on increasing the rank next to their name. While I can understand doing that for a game like Geometry Wars 2, I cannot see the appeal in a game like Gears of War 2.[/QUOTE]

Then you underestimate just how many vain, prideful, yet bored people there are on live.

People still standby in Halo 3, at least from what I saw a few months ago.

If Epic at least fixes most glitches and can't fix standby that's reasonable at this point if everything is truly hard coded. You can't expect them to spend endless nights just to patch things especially when they already have your money.

If your not happy don't buy Gears of War 3 new, or buy it used to prove your point.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Then you underestimate just how many vain, prideful, yet bored people there are on live.[/quote]

Seriously. It's really sad when it's grown ups who do it, I mean little 10 years I can some what understand but a grown man caring about a rank is just sad.

I actually got a star ranking on wingman by playing by myself and always got bombarded with people wanting to know the secret of ranking up like I did it on purpose or something.

I also found some threads where kids are saying how much fun they have with standby/lag switches and just want to punch 'em in the face. That's like saying watching ants on the ground is fun.

I like playing horde, however with random people i can only get to level 15 before we die, or the connection is lost. Then we have to start all over again. :cry:

I doubt this patch will address any of the networking issues this game has, and already they are throwing paid DLC w/ cheesemints at us. Boo to that.

[quote name='Matt Young']You can start from whatever level you want.[/quote]

Not in a public match, at least ive never been able to see it. Maybe the host can pick? But i know in private horde games you can pick what level to start on, along with what map.

The matchmaking is finally working for me, I had not been able to play because it used to take forever. There are a lot if good players out there that I need to catch up too

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I doubt this patch will address any of the networking issues this game has, and already they are throwing paid DLC w/ cheesemints at us. Boo to that.[/quote]

As long as I don't have to drop another $10 for achievements, I'm good. The achievements better have something to do with the Combustible map pack. I bought the map pack and have YET to play on any map. Maybe it's because I stopped to play some games that are more fun than Gears online.

I guess I was just wrong in assuming that NOT HAVING host hand-off was so last gen. Not sure why that can't be implemented.

Then again, I guess the game might as well end when someone quits and causes uneven teams - when, unlike gears 1, you can't get your teams refilled mid-game.

So no one plays Wingman anymore? Boo to that.

This game has turned into a mega disappointment. I can't believe the online play took a step back from the first one.

Are we gonna have any more CAG nights or did that just turn into an exclusive friends-only thing?

[quote name='depascal22']So no one plays Wingman anymore? Boo to that.

This game has turned into a mega disappointment. I can't believe the online play took a step back from the first one.

Are we gonna have any more CAG nights or did that just turn into an exclusive friends-only thing?[/quote]

I still play it but, the cheating is insane once you reach a 4 rank. Not too mention that everyone seems to know how to bridge host now.

Friend who I play with has just started forcing host recently, just to avoid the cheating we normally face. Feel shitty about doing it but its just annoying going 4-0 on these rank 4/5's and getting hit with the standby

Google it. Its too much work for me to do. I hate GOW2 online when its not working right...which is about 80% of the time. I only play it now once every few days for like an hour.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Google it. Its too much work for me to do. I hate GOW2 online when its not working right...which is about 80% of the time. I only play it now once every few days for like an hour.[/quote]

Same here. I'm definitely not buying Gears3 NEW, I'm going to wait this time and get it used.

[quote name='mcginnis']Same here. I'm definitely not buying Gears3 NEW, I'm going to wait this time and get it used.[/quote]

Same here. After the first one, it's been a big let down. I still have way more fun playing CoD4.

I haven't played this game online in a long while... it's amazing how broken online play can ruin the experience. Can't wait to get back on, though.

It just feels like the cheaters went into overdrive or something. I got cheated about 10 times in a row yesterday, it was insane. And I'm talking full on standby/lagswitching, none of that wimpy shield glitch.

I mainly play horde though with randoms. I tried some of the public multiplayer but people are such douchebags if you lag or "suck" ; I made the mistake of playing wingman on my second day, having never played the first or many shooters in general.

I've been lagging the last few days but hopefully that's just due to the snow. if anyone wants to play, send a FR and/or message saying you're from CAG

[quote name='Kevlar281']Two more wins and I'll never play wingman again. Ugh...[/quote]

I feel the same way. After playing so many matches in wingman and finally getting the 3 I needed, I never want to play that mode ever again.

Just started playing this (about an hour in) after 55+ hours with Fallout 3. The action in this game feels fuckin crazy fast and immersive compared to Fallout. I am loving it so far.

I don't see how people can say this is a step back. I really didn't care for Gears 1 multiplayer. I love Gears 2.

[quote name='depascal22']
Are we gonna have any more CAG nights or did that just turn into an exclusive friends-only thing?[/QUOTE]

It's not even friends-only. I'm friends with the person who created the "GOW Wednesday Game Night" post and most of the former/would-be regulars. It's just that very few of them ever play. They're usually on Call of Duty, if anything.

I want to play Wingman as well as other team games. Add Matt Young 951 (secondary friend list; mainone is full) if you want to team up. That goes for anyone.

Wingman is where the majority of cheaters are found, grinding away to get rank 5 then they come out to play in Elimination

[quote name='Matt Young']I don't see how people can say this is a step back. I really didn't care for Gears 1 multiplayer. I love Gears 2.

It's not even friends-only. I'm friends with the person who created the "GOW Wednesday Game Night" post and most of the former/would-be regulars. It's just that very few of them ever play. They're usually on Call of Duty, if anything.

I want to play Wingman as well as other team games. Add Matt Young 951 (secondary friend list; mainone is full) if you want to team up. That goes for anyone.[/quote]

It's only a step back in multi. I mean they really shouldn't have added ranks or made the net code so bad. They should've kept unranked matchmaking, that way people who just want to play can play without being cheated. In game glitches aren't that broken but the host glitches are annoying.

They should have kept unranked matchmaking, yes, but they added the abilityto play ranked with your friends. That's a fair trade to me, though there shouldn't have had to have been a compromise.

[quote name='Kevlar281']I hate the voting. If I want to play execution let me play execution.

/sidenote: one more wingman win to go[/quote]

Man, am I the only one that doesn't mind voting on match type/maps?

[quote name='jjunior1212']Man, am I the only one that doesn't mind voting on match type/maps?[/QUOTE]
I don't mind either, from the games I have played I get an even amount of each game type, I am surprised by the amount of ties.

[quote name='Kevlar281']I hate the voting. If I want to play execution let me play execution.

/sidenote: one more wingman win to go[/quote]

I love the voting but I'd love it more if they added an option to search by specific match type.

They need to mix Halo 3's matchmaking system with what they had with the first Gears...basically give the player an option to use either of the matchmaking options.

I wish they release more classic maps. I liked war machine, fuel depot and clock tower. I also want to play the PC map called courtyard. That is an awesome map.

The flashback maps do not work well with the new smoke nades, only one I could see being ok would be Fuel Depot...

^^^ true

gold rush sucks now with smoke grenades too. Raven down would have been another good one. Day one is kinda like it though. Its just a bit bigger so they can add more weopens.

Just finished the SP. The single player really exceeded my expectations. I played it on normal mode (which was entirely too easy) and got through it in three sittings.
For a while, I thought the underground levels got a bit boring but then you started popping up and back down again and before you knew it, the two contrasting moods blended oh-so nicely together with the seige of Jacinto. I thought the story was pretty good but felt like the cut scenes were a bit choppy.
Overall; I couldn't have been happier. Looking forward to starting the multiplayer soon. That is if I can pull myslef from WaW and not get pulled back into Halo.

[quote name='jughead']Just finished the SP. The single player really exceeded my expectations. I played it on normal mode (which was entirely too easy) and got through it in three sittings.
For a while, I thought the underground levels got a bit boring but then you started popping up and back down again and before you knew it, the two contrasting moods blended oh-so nicely together with the seige of Jacinto. I thought the story was pretty good but felt like the cut scenes were a bit choppy.
Overall; I couldn't have been happier. Looking forward to starting the multiplayer soon. That is if I can pull myslef from WaW and not get pulled back into Halo.[/QUOTE]

gears 2 single player is indeed incredible. Thats about it tho. Online is a broken mess and really sucks. WaW online is much funner.

I played some Wingman yesterday and actually found a bunch of people that didn't cheat. A buddy and I played four matches and got one win in and finished in second or third the rest of the time. It's refreshing to know that everyone out there doesn't try to game the system.

Im going to try out wingman tonite, ive been having a lot of fun with horde tho.

anyone know why my damn gamecard wont show?

[quote name='thrustbucket']Well I've stopped playing, mostly, till the patch, since everyone I normally play with is doing the same.[/quote]

Same here. Funny thing happened the last time I played though, I killed the invisible host. How bad do you have to be to get killed by a blind guy. :lol:

I actually stopped playing (campaign) a while ago. I got stuck in a later chapter, when you're looking for the pod that the wife is in, and then you get cornered and attacked from both sides, with the locusts riding the bull (or whatever it is).
I probably just need more patience. But who has patience when there are so many other games to play.

Which one is the goregon gun?
By the way, does it kill them quicker to shoot them in the head, or does it just piss them off more and in tern make them charge you faster?
Thanks for the help.

The head but it's slightly harder. That part of the game is really easy, when you first hit the terminal before the cutscene take off running to the first spawn of bloomounts. Tag a nade on them, they ignore you since you weren't supposed to be there and then run back and fight the other side. Works on any difficulty including insane.

[quote name='sunnysky']Which one is the goregon gun? [/quote]

It's the pistol that shoots out in short bursts, the one you can find Kantus using.

Use to play Gears 1 almost every day for probably a good six months or more. It was a engrossing game and the multiplayer even with the glitches was pretty damn fun.

From what I can see here the Horde is pure ownage, and the multilayer is underrated yet pretty lame with all the glitchers, but what really ruins it is the time it takes to find a match. It never took me 5+ minutes to find a match in Gears 1, and me and my buddy could go on and on for days playing non-stop. Here you gota wait 5+ minutes just to find a damn match (horde is pretty quick to get into, but I'm assuming that's because you only need team mates and not opponents). If Epic can fix the matchmaking time I would be playing this as much as Gears 1.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
Here you gota wait 5+ minutes just to find a damn match (horde is pretty quick to get into, but I'm assuming that's because you only need team mates and not opponents). If Epic can fix the matchmaking time I would be playing this as much as Gears 1.[/QUOTE]

The main reason for it is that there are no player matches, it's ranked only. Which many of us think is stupid as hell. The really shitty thing is waiting 25 seconds after a match staring at the damn scoreboard... No reason it can't be loading the matchmaking screen while it sits there.

Some dudes on the Gears boards are claiming (swearing) the patch hits tomorrow. Nothing official so take it for a grain of salt.

bread's done
Back