Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

I hate that you press "A" to search for a match and to cancel matchmaking. I'm used to tapping "A" when searching for a match like in Halo 3...I accidentally do that with GoW2 and end up canceling the search...and canceling takes forever :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate the bots. Played a match of Tyro Station with two leavers, I guess the bots had no idea the train would kill them. Every. Round.
Less leavers since the update though, actually thinking about purchasing the combustible map pack now.

Does anyone know how many players have to leave in order for the experience not to count? Is it still four?

Okay, the experience system glitched on me today. I played a full 5-round game of Warzone and it took away 1500 experience saying that it was incomplete. Bullcrap.

I played a game of Annex on Blood Drive last night, and the entire other team left, leaving bots to fill in for them. The bots were actually pretty good--their accuracy was very high, and they were good at flanking and surrounding us. They even won a round. We did end up beating them, though, fortunately.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Okay, the experience system glitched on me today. I played a full 5-round game of Warzone and it took away 1500 experience saying that it was incomplete. Bullcrap.[/QUOTE]

One thing I have noticed is if you get disconnected, don't finish or quit in a match, you won't get the notification that you lost XP until the end of the next match you complete.

I am actually satisfied with the update especially with the stupid grenades. I do hope the comb. map pack gets a price reduction soon I would like to get it but not for 800 points.

I had my 4 teammates quit at the beginning of my first game so I had 4 bots as teammates. Not only did the bots win 2 rounds when I died but they had excellent team work. We(me and the bots) won 5-3 on Security and the gears 2 multiplayer in that moment, had become 100x more satisfying. The shotgun seems a bit flaky in close range but the game does feel better overall. It took me only a few minutes each matchmaking session to get into a game (I was playing by myself however, I have not tested it with a party).

[quote name='thrustbucket']One thing I have noticed is if you get disconnected, don't finish or quit in a match, you won't get the notification that you lost XP until the end of the next match you complete.[/quote]

I got dc'd last night, and didnt lost xp the next match, guess i was lucky, though it should work that way.

Oh, well that may have been the case for me then. 1 out of about ever 3 matches I play has lag that makes the game unplayable. I don't know if it's someone using standby or just high latency...

Anyway, it sucks to lose experience when it's not your fault. I never quit, even if I'm losing badly, unless I can't play the game because of lag.

[quote name='BackInBlack']epic can go to fucking hell for not adding time limits.[/QUOTE]

That level was such bullshit -- 20 minutes of them just fucking with us, forcing everyone else out on our team.

[quote name='dastly75']I had my 4 teammates quit at the beginning of my first game so I had 4 bots as teammates. Not only did the bots win 2 rounds when I died but they had excellent team work. We(me and the bots) won 5-3 on Security and the gears 2 multiplayer in that moment, had become 100x more satisfying. The shotgun seems a bit flaky in close range but the game does feel better overall. It took me only a few minutes each matchmaking session to get into a game (I was playing by myself however, I have not tested it with a party).[/quote]

Something similar happened to me only I was playing against the team of bots. Me and my friends were playing Guardian and 4 people on the other team quit before the game started so the last guy got 4 bots. One round it was sudden death and my friend got his head popped by a bot using the longshot. We lost 3-2 lol :(. Stupit bots D:

WOW 82MB dl for the snowblind maps? doesnt that basically mean it was on the disc? no way 4 maps are 82mb for gears like the 1st map pack... arent halo maps like 400-600 mb a pack?

Unless Epic/MS has changed the way they do things and are able to make the maps much smaller than they could a couple of years ago, I don't know how these couldn't be on the disc. The free map pack for Gears 1 was like 400MB if I remember correctly, and that was only 2 maps. The second map pack for Gears was like a gig, and it had 4 maps. I have no idea how they could go from a gig down to 82MB.

On the other hand though, how many goddamn maps could be on the disc? Doesn't make sense.

[quote name='depascal22']Are the other maps free now that these are up?[/QUOTE]

I sure hope not or I'll be more angry for forking out $10 for them than I am.

82 megs is entirely reasonable if almost all the art assets were already on the disc. But it really depends on how the art assets were stored on the discs.

It's entirely possible that the 82 megs simply pulls the art off the disc.

I need some people to help on horde to 50 on a sowblind map.ill be on at like 4:00 central time.add your gamertag to the list. And add me to your friendslist to.

1. Doodle777

If they fix the smoke and tone down the hammerburst this game would get close to being better than Gears1. I really hope that is what the next title update addresses.

They did address the smoke. You get up a bit faster. I think the smokes should be two separate weapons: one that does just smoke and that does just stuns.

[quote name='doodle777_98']I need some people to help on horde to 50 on a sowblind map.ill be on at like 4:00 central time.add your gamertag to the list. And add me to your friendslist to.

1. Doodle777
5.[/QUOTE]

It is time to put away Killzone 2 and give my 360 some love. I plan on buying the Snowblind maps tonight. I just purchased a 2800 point card just so I can get these maps and the Mythic map pack for Halo 3. That will leave me enough points for either the Legendary Map pack (Halo 3) or the Combustible pack for Gears 2. Decisions decisions. I am looking forward to some Horde (but you are on too early for me Doodle).

[quote name='CaseyRyback']If they fix the smoke and tone down the hammerburst this game would get close to being better than Gears1. I really hope that is what the next title update addresses.[/QUOTE]

Funny. I'm fine with the hammerburst for the most part, but the shotgun should be a pick up weapon.

I use to hate warzone but I have come to like it the most. It's the only game mode where long range battles actually matter, and that's where the game is most fun. Unfortunately pre-equiped weapons mostly encourage up close chaos.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']If they fix the smoke and tone down the hammerburst this game would get close to being better than Gears1. I really hope that is what the next title update addresses.[/quote]

The smokes don't leave you on the ground as long and the Hammerburst is fine.

[quote name='menikmati']The smokes don't leave you on the ground as long and the Hammerburst is fine.[/quote]

It's still too long to be on the ground, but it's better. Enemies shouldn't be able to knock you out repeatedly on the ground with multiple smoke nades either. It's still bullshit that if you're knocked on the ground you're one shotted with the shotgun. I thought they were making it so you couldn't be damaged while on the ground from a smoke? Host doesn't even get hit by smoke nades sometimes either. They need to fix that.

Both the Hammerburst and the Shotty are broken as fuck for the host. I played a game where a guy was downing my team with 3 fucking Hammerburst shots. That is ridiculous. That combined with your Shotty only being as good as your connection to the host adds up for a real shitty game. God they need to find a way to fix that. That or give the host to a connection that can handle it.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Oh and 3 rockets in the rocket launcher is bullshit.[/quote]

How so?

Btw Trakan I love you in the most heterosexual way possible for that post. Host Hammer/Shotgun is seriously a Staples-esque Easy Button for a competent player and Shotty accuracy directly connected to your internet connect should have been fixed a LONG f*cking time ago. I've lost count of how many occasions a half second impact lag has saved people from certain death. ;\

Smokes as a pickup would be nice, but the shotgun is fine as the other default weapon. That shit is broken as fuck for the most part, and not in a good way. I would two piece last night and even after three shots the shotgun would not take them down. I hate how the host differs the game so much.

Also the hammerburst is hella overpowered. I don't know why but every time I fight someone who has it they always down me in five shots, but I can unload a clip and a half in someone and they come up and blast me.

I didn't keep up with the original Gears so I apologize ahead of time if this is an asinine question, but do the Gears maps ever go free, ala Halo?

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']How so?[/quote]
Any match with the rocket launcher spawn quickly gets ridiculous. Can easily take out a whole team with those 3 shots. I would say 2 is plenty, but I'd be happiest if it were like a 1-shot rpg.

Btw Trakan I love you in the most heterosexual way possible for that post. Host Hammer/Shotgun is seriously a Staples-esque Easy Button for a competent player and Shotty accuracy directly connected to your internet connect should have been fixed a LONG f*cking time ago. I've lost count of how many occasions a half second impact lag has saved people from certain death. ;\
To compound all that, apparently there are ways you can almost guarantee you are host (some router tricks while searching for other players I think).

[quote name='Corvin']I didn't keep up with the original Gears so I apologize ahead of time if this is an asinine question, but do the Gears maps ever go free, ala Halo?[/QUOTE]
I don't think they ever did.

Yes, both.

The Future Weapons map pack was always free (Old Bones and Raven Down) and Hidden Fronts was a deal w/ Epic and Microsoft. Epic wanted them free and MS wanted to charge so they came to a comprise to charge for them the first couple of months.

I haven't heard anything about Epic wanting any of the Gears 2 maps to be free though.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Any match with the rocket launcher spawn quickly gets ridiculous. Can easily take out a whole team with those 3 shots. I would say 2 is plenty, but I'd be happiest if it were like a 1-shot rpg.[/quote]

Reasonable enough though the same can be said for any power weapon when you add competent players in the mix. Any one of them can take out a whole team and Torque can kill groups with AR in the same ridiculous fashion. In terms of noob friendliness, I honestly believe Hammer and Torque are much more accommodating than Boomshot because its blast radius is brutally honest and landing long range body shots are among the rarest of sights. IMHO you aren't going to get very far if you don't know how to use it against a team that does unless you're extremely lucky or learn fast. Otherwise you've done nothing more than paint a huge target on your forehead and potentially screwed your team in the process by hand delivering it to them.

[quote name='Kevlar281']I think I'm going to wait until I reach level 100 before I buy the Snowblind maps. Hopefully there will be a price drop.[/quote]

haha yeah that or by the time I reach 50 (am 20). I still don't even have the combustible packs.

by any chance did anyone send me a friend request (guy's gt had David with some numbers)? if anyone does send a FR please state that you're from CAG

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Reasonable enough though the same can be said for any power weapon when you add competent players in the mix. Any one of them can take out a whole team and Torque can kill groups with AR in the same ridiculous fashion. In terms of noob friendliness, I honestly believe Hammer and Torque are much more accommodating than Boomshot because its blast radius is brutally honest and landing long range body shots are among the rarest of sights. IMHO you aren't going to get very far if you don't know how to use it against a team that does unless you're extremely lucky or learn fast. Otherwise you've done nothing more than paint a huge target on your forehead and potentially screwed your team in the process by hand delivering it to them.[/QUOTE]

Right. Which is why I often try to get those weapons, so others can't and then just not use them. :)

Just beat the game on insane. Wow, some sections of the game seemed near impossible at first (kept retrying over and over and over), but I eventually got through them. It helped when some one joined that was playing on an easier difficulty though (I was hosting co-op).

EDIT: Just had an EPIC Submission (capture the flag) match. We lost 1-2, but the last round lasted over 20 minutes. Great game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking about buying either the combustible or snowblind map pack, anyone have an opinion on which one is better?
the only other thing i was looking at was the halo 3 legendary pack

bread's done
Back