Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

I should be able to horde tonite around 12 am est until 2 or so. Gotta get some work done first. Rest of the week I should be able to horde starting around 10:30pm est or so.

XBL Tag: JDawgg77

I, too, need the Horde achievements for pretty much all of the DLC maps. I played a bunch after release, but just purchased All Fronts a couple days ago. Send me a FR if you (anyone) need another player for Horde.

what a fucking crock of shit, damn you cliffy b and epic games! people are still doing the glitch in subway on the spawn side by the stairs. I think it's something like a person leans up against the wall and the other jumps over them to get inside the wall. 6 title updates, 1.5 years later and still they can't fix it. It's bad enough there is host advantage..

The only horde achievement I still need is 50 waves on a snowblind map and I can start on wave 37. Send me a message if you're interested (through Live), I already have 1-2 other ppl on my FL that need this too.

[quote name='freshzen']The only horde achievement I still need is 50 waves on a snowblind map and I can start on wave 37. Send me a message if you're interested (through Live), I already have 1-2 other ppl on my FL that need this too.[/QUOTE]

I think you may already be counting me as one of the ppl on your FL, but I'm in the same boat for snowblind horde. I think I need to start at level 32. Let me know if you round up some people. Thanks!

If anybody wants to play Horde mode, we have a party of three going right now. I know some people were looking for help with Snowblind.

Send a message to either me (Velikost) or Woltaire (XBL GT)

[quote name='lolwut?']If anybody wants to play Horde mode, we have a party of three going right now. I know some people were looking for help with Snowblind.

Send a message to either me (Velikost) or Woltaire (XBL GT)[/QUOTE]

Message sent.

Love this game but hate it.

I downed a guy, run over and hit A for meat shield and I roll away. Then I run back and shoot him a few times with the shotgun on the ground. Nothing, and then I get gibbed.

[quote name='kylerg']Love this game but hate it.

I downed a guy, run over and hit A for meat shield and I roll away. Then I run back and shoot him a few times with the shotgun on the ground. Nothing, and then I get gibbed.[/QUOTE]

tell me about it... similar scenario happens all the time. imagine yourself being the last guy on your team, they've got two guys left, you down one to grab as a meatshield, to go for the upper-handed win. instead, you roll past, the dude gets up, and nails you in the back. round over, you lost, boo.

this is the part of GoW2 multiplayer which isn't skill based, but luck and lag related.

another one is the longshot host advantage; don't get me started. it's controller hurling inducing goodness.

does anyone play this anymore? all day today i cant find any games and constantly start a lobby with all bots. i try guardian or wingman, all i get is a new lobby full of bots. when i play maybe 1 to 3 people will join, but they never stay long. i even had a game where i racked up 4000 points, but the two guys playing against me left right before the end, so i only got 750 xp. its so annoying! if anyone wants to party up send me an invite. im at level 97, might get to 98 tonight if i can actually find some games.

The triple-double XP week kicks off this coming Monday June 14th at 9am EDT (2pm GMT) and will run all the way through till 9am EDT (2pm GMT again) on June 21st.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn looks like I already missed most of it...I'll hopefully get some games in this weekend. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Same. I should have checked this thread more often. I'll at least play it over the weekend some.

I've gone from an 86 to a 93 already, it stacks up so well. I hope Gears 3 is perma-6x from the start cause this feels how it should be.

Anyway I've encountered 4-5 host quits since I started playing 2 hours ago. I mean come on, is there already a way to get host everytime or can these people just really not handle losing.

i'm stuck @ lvl 73 and said fuck this game! put it back on the shelf and don't think i'll be playing it much. tired of people bridging host, lag, host advantage, shooting someone and doesn't really do any damage and last but not least..playing teams with at least 2-3 level 100's who probably cheated. I noticed that every time we go up against a team of 100's they always get host so makes me wonder..This game is not fair and balanced like all the others and that sucks because if it were more people would play it.

[quote name='intoxicated662']i'm stuck @ lvl 73 and said fuck this game! put it back on the shelf and don't think i'll be playing it much. tired of people bridging host, lag, host advantage, shooting someone and doesn't really do any damage and last but not least..playing teams with at least 2-3 level 100's who probably cheated. I noticed that every time we go up against a team of 100's they always get host so makes me wonder..This game is not fair and balanced like all the others and that sucks because if it were more people would play it.[/QUOTE]
I really only just started playing the multiplayer, outside of Horde, this week and I haven't noticed any horrible lag issues like there were back around the launch. Unbalanced teams sure, and some questionable disconnects when my team's been about to win but nothing really in the way of outrageous behavior during actual fights.

I knew about it but didn't get to play all week till late last night. Went from 24-26 in 4 games or so, and I'm not even very good.

I did finally experience the host advantage problems like Trakan mentioned after 40-50 hours of playing this game. I've seen it lag out before where nobody can do anything, but this was the first time I've ever walked right up to a guy and blasted him a couple times with my shotgun from behind, only for him to turn around and one hit kill me.

Oh, and a level 100 sent me a message saying "dam u sukkkkkkk!!!" LOL. I've played 40-50 hours online. He's played hundreds, if not 1,000+ to get to level 100. Of course I suck compared to him!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll probably hit 96 tonight and I'm going to shelf this game until there is another bonus XP week(end) and I'll probably try to just boost when that happens. I'm just tired of blatantly shooting first and either killing or downing somebody and having their lagged shot kill or down me after. I think they might have made the lag a little better, but the problem is you can't tell a good host from a bad host until you have played for several rounds unless its just super laggy. Usually if I 1 shot people with the shotgun they don't explode but just sort of fall down I quit pretty quick. Also if I shoot somebody 3 times and really couldn't have shot any better and they still down then kill me and my teammate rolls up and kills them and I only get like 10-25 points I quit.

[quote name='The 7th Number']its 5 am, but i finally hit 100. now all that is left, is to go from 37,000 kills to 100,000 kills. :)[/QUOTE]

You crazy man! I gave up after I hit level 50 a while back. I would have liked to reach 100 but it don't seem worth it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']its 5 am, but i finally hit 100. now all that is left, is to go from 37,000 kills to 100,000 kills. :)[/QUOTE]

congrats 7th for doing it legit!

I got to 67/68 until I encountered koth boosters.

first time I ever saw it (Fuel Station btw, the combustible pack) I quickly realized it and took advantage. next thing I knew I accidentally chainsawed one guy while spinning then someone killed me. I went back to the hill only to get killed. I realized I wasn't going to be allowed to get points so I got frags, went up the elevator and blew 4 guys up before getting killed. then I got frags again and tossed them up for more kills. then one guy (a guest account) went after me but I killed hi, most of the time! next round the ring was near stuff i could shoot and blow up which I did! I got 2 hate mails :D. all that since they wouldn't let me back in the ring

next several koth boostings I joined were fine. I even joined up with a CAG and his friends group. now I'm at 76/77 idk. hopefully I can get to around 82/83 before the event is over. I see some low levels going up 4, 6, 12, even 16 ranks from one match :nottalking:. at least I got around 27/28% of the 6+ million xp legit :cool:

King of the Hill, I gather. They probably camp out just outside the ring and wipe out opponents as they try to make their way in one by one. Good remedy to this is mortar or hammer of dawn, though, these are probably maps without those weapons.

im hoping the serious 2.0 and/or the level 100 achievements unlock something in gears 3. maybe skorge/tia in multiplayer (even though i hate tia), or maybe a platinum colored gun.

i went from 37,000 kills to 65,000 today so far. ill probably do some more later. its not so bad when you listen to music. takes about 8 - 10 minutes to get 1,000 kills using the begining of the last level on the brumak.

Congratulations, 7th. I know you've been working hard on that.

Just like with the 3x XP, it's turned out that I've barely had any gaming time this week. Only 2 hours put in and 2 levels gained, but I'm going to try to at least put in 3 hours tonight which should be more than enough to get me past level 30 and get another achievement. I honestly wouldn't give a shit about my rank were achievements not tied to it.

[quote name='Redeema']King of the Hill, I gather. They probably camp out just outside the ring and wipe out opponents as they try to make their way in one by one. Good remedy to this is mortar or hammer of dawn, though, these are probably maps without those weapons.[/QUOTE]

That makes no sense because in KOTH your entire team SHOULD always be hanging around the ring to defend it and killing your opponents as they get in anyway.

You find 10 players and if you don't have 10 you sign in some guest accounts. Meet up in a social match. One team stays in the ring to cap over and over, while the other enters and exits the ring to break it over and over. Each player in team inside the ring gets 200 points over and over for capping. Team breaking the cap gets 50 points per break. Switch just before the capping team gets enough points to win. 140k exp per match.

[quote name='bs000']That makes no sense because in KOTH your entire team SHOULD always be hanging around the ring to defend it and killing your opponents as they get in anyway.

You find 10 players and if you don't have 10 you sign in some guest accounts. Meet up in a social match. One team stays in the ring to cap over and over, while the other enters and exits the ring to break it over and over. Each player in team inside the ring gets 200 points over and over for capping. Team breaking the cap gets 50 points per break. Switch just before the capping team gets enough points to win. 140k exp per match.[/QUOTE]

If you ever want to do this, please invite me. Like I said, I care about my level since it's tied to achievements, so the quicker I can level, the better.

[quote name='Matt Young']If you ever want to do this, please invite me. Like I said, I care about my level since it's tied to achievements, so the quicker I can level, the better.[/QUOTE]
Ugh, this. I knew 100 would be some insane amount of xp, but 6 million? Ouch. I'm only at about 430,000.

I got up to 73 and shelfed the game. Too much crap on it and hate going up against a team that has at least 2 level 100's and they always get host. More than likely they're bridging host and just too much bullshit in this game.

[quote name='The 7th Number']
i went from 37,000 kills to 65,000 today so far. ill probably do some more later. its not so bad when you listen to music. takes about 8 - 10 minutes to get 1,000 kills using the begining of the last level on the brumak.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I hadn't considered playing the single player to get my kills up. 10 minutes for 1k kills? Yes please!

im up to 80,000 kills now. should be able to get my last achievement tomorrow. should take around 3 hours and 20 minutes. then i might try to beat gears 1 on insane.

[quote name='Pirate331']Ugh, this. I knew 100 would be some insane amount of xp, but 6 million? Ouch. I'm only at about 430,000.[/QUOTE]

Ya know, I'm going to post about it in the achievement sharing thread. Check it out when you get a chance.

[quote name='The 7th Number']im up to 80,000 kills now. should be able to get my last achievement tomorrow. should take around 3 hours and 20 minutes. then i might try to beat gears 1 on insane.[/QUOTE]

I know you're not exactly all that fond of me, but I would like to do the same, so if you'd care to team up, I'm down.

Anyway, this won't surprise anyone who's a Gears vet, I'm sure. But in the hour and a half I've just now played, I've had at least 1/3 of my kills stolen. It pisses me off since I always let the guy who made the down get his kill unless the opposing player is about to be revived or something like that.

I'm below average in multiplayer, so I need all the damn kills I can get. It goes without saying that if you steal another player's kill when that player is in a position to get it, you are a douche. So, from now on, as long as I'm not playing with CAGs or other friends, I'm going to be a douche, too, and take whatever opportunity comes my way.

[quote name='Matt Young']If you ever want to do this, please invite me. Like I said, I care about my level since it's tied to achievements, so the quicker I can level, the better.[/QUOTE]

Join KOTH social and you will most likely jump into a game like that. This was the case for me yesterday when I was trying to get three KOTH wins achievement. I never boosted up to that point. I will say it is really nice. In two matches, I went from 46 to 50. Now that I am over level 50, the game will officially retire on my shelf.

Thanks for the heads up. Do people usually say something in the lobby before the game so people know?

Man, the servers were shit over the past few hours. I was on from 1-6 Pacific, but I did not get to play nearly as much as I should have. 1/4 of the time, I had to wait 5-10 minutes to get into a game. The rest of the time, it was instant. The game said my "firewall settings were strict", which made no sense since my NAT is open. I even ran the test through the dashboard to confirm that it was open. And it wasn't just me that couldn't connect. A group I ran into (actual cool, mature people on Gears! Imagine that. I made some new friends.) had the same problem. I was matched up with them in 3 consecutive games, along with one other guy who didn't talk. Some guy I chose to avoid even got matched up with me multiple times. There was some funky stuff gong on.

So between that and the fact that I barely got to play all week, I didn't get to level like I wanted to. They should have another bonus XP week/weekend, right? It just sucks knowing that I could have easily gotten to 40 and probably 50, but I only went up from 24-30. I guess a level gained every couple games isn't too bad considering my lower level of skill and the fact that I often got matched up with people who were level 80-100.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Matt Young']Thanks for the heads up. Do people usually say something in the lobby before the game so people know?
[/QUOTE]

The game I joined... you just know. You see the score going up for one team 1 point at a time and as you get close to the circle you see guys going in and out. Just follow in i.e. if your team is in the circle go in it until 119 score then jump out or if they are out, just go in and out the circle after the team score 1 point until they hit 119. No one actually talked at all in the game I was in. Do note if you see it going on just dont attack anyone.

[quote name='lordopus99']The game I joined... you just know. You see the score going up for one team 1 point at a time and as you get close to the circle you see guys going in and out. Just follow in i.e. if your team is in the circle go in it until 119 score then jump out or if they are out, just go in and out the circle after the team score 1 point until they hit 119. No one actually talked at all in the game I was in. Do note if you see it going on just dont attack anyone.[/QUOTE]

Yea, if you are the random jumping into social koth and you want to boost you are supposed to equip your smoke grenade and just follow along. Like he said you will just know because nobody will have any kills and on the scoreboard people will have a ton of captures and breaks as their only stats. Then you just take turns breaking the circle. It is incredibly boring, but for 140,000 xp per 45 minutes you really cannot beat it. If you are just starting the game out you will hit level 50 in about 5 or 6 games. But then you still have about 6 million more xp to get to level 100. I'd say put a movie on your laptop or another TV if you can to pass the time easier. Although usually you get to just sit in the circle 2 times in a row so you can take some time off to clear your head while the other team breaks it. Most of these sessions were organized on TA.com or x360a.org so the people involved have control of both teams to make it easier. If they lose a full team and a random jumps in and doesn't want to cooperate they usually either join in or just drop.

On TA.com there were 100s of boosting sessions setup for doing the koth boosting and even if you just searched you would probably find a boosting match quickly. I really should have grinded a ton of xp this week, but I just couldn't free up the time. I am level 65 or around 25% of the way to level 100. With 10 months to go before Gears 3 comes out I really think you will see a bunch more big XP events. They want to keep people interested and now that all the DLC is required to play it will get people to put out money for the DLC or maybe pick up the version that has all maps on the disc.

It will be interesting to see where Gears 2 ends up on the XBL leaderboard this week. If this cannot get it in the top 3 or 4 then nothing will.

all achievements unlocked. then i play some guardian and see host going 10 - 0, no thanks. i love gears but host power is annoying. especially when all they do is chainsaw or use power weapons. i also dont like the double kill they added. i hate when i kill someone and i end up dying too. with that said, im ready for gears 3! just take away the chainsaw and fix the connection/host issues please!!!!

cliffy b and epic games actually did more harm & damage for gears 2 than good. the host advantage bullshit, 6 title updates and they barely added social matchmaking. they are way behind of other game franchises such as halo, call of duty, battlefield and such. I don't know who they have working over there but they need to stay up to date and keep fresh ideas on how to keep people interested in their game(s) and also be innovative. This shit about avoiding a player like someone mentioned earlier and still getting matched up with them is crap and pointless. I too have left people negative feedback (avoided the player) and I still get matched up with them. I go back to their profile and check but sure enough, it doesn't show that I avoided them so it's like it never happened and it only happens on gears of war 2. The host advantage is just ridiculous especially since there are always level 100's on 1 team and they always get host. I mean, you're a level 100 and you are still playing and getting host somehow..really? I guess they're not legit and still play because they're not real as most of them glitched their lvl 100.

Hell, I saw a level 100 finish on our winning team in Annex with 400-something points. Definitely not legit. And I thought the whole "two guys kill each other at the same time" thing was always in. I could swear that it was. Maybe I'm wrong.

[quote name='The 7th Number']im up to 80,000 kills now. should be able to get my last achievement tomorrow. should take around 3 hours and 20 minutes. then i might try to beat gears 1 on insane.[/QUOTE]

I spent some time using the method you suggested and boy is it refreshing. I managed to rack up 3,200 kills in about 40 minutes. Unfortunately, it still means roughly 20 hours of grinding that same segment over and over again but it sure beats the alternative. I'm not sure how far I will get on this achievement. Time will tell.

[quote name='Matt Young']Hell, I saw a level 100 finish on our winning team in Annex with 400-something points. Definitely not legit. And I thought the whole "two guys kill each other at the same time" thing was always in. I could swear that it was. Maybe I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

well i wouldnt say he isnt legit, even the worst of players can get to 100 if they play enough. but if someone is 100 he should be smart, know good spots, and know what weapons are up in each map/round. basically know how to play the game. sometimes i suck, do something that looks noobish. im not great at moving around sometimes, and not great at bouncing off walls. i dont practice that stuff, but sometimes it works for me. then sometimes i run around with a chainsaw for kicks, cos i know how annoying it can be to get chainsawed lol. my new favorite move i like to call the "pro scrub". ive done it twice recently. its where you chainsaw a guy, then his buddy is lining you up for the easy kill as you are doing the chainsaw animation. sometimes they wait too long, thats when i bounce off a wall and then chainsaw them lol. its hilarious when it works.

[quote name='daphatty']I spent some time using the method you suggested and boy is it refreshing. I managed to rack up 3,200 kills in about 40 minutes. Unfortunately, it still means roughly 20 hours of grinding that same segment over and over again but it sure beats the alternative. I'm not sure how far I will get on this achievement. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

what i do is start the last level, hit the back button to skip the cut scene. then shoot the back group of locusts first with rockets, it can be tricky sometimes. then hit the group right in front with some rockets. pause reload checkpoint. i dont even bother going any further. it takes around 40 seconds to walk to the gate, bust it down, to finally get more groups of enemies to kill. but when you reload after shooting the first two groups, that i think takes about 20 seconds or less before you are shooting them over again. i never even bothered with the grinder and boomers to the left. waste of time for just 4 more kills.

Weird, today i was going to try gears 1 on insane and i couldnt even pick that difficulty level. I dont think i would have deleted my save, but i do know i have a save file, and have the "beat the game on hardcore" achievement. But when i try to load an old save, there isnt any. :(

[quote name='The 7th Number']Weird, today i was going to try gears 1 on insane and i couldnt even pick that difficulty level. I dont think i would have deleted my save, but i do know i have a save file, and have the "beat the game on hardcore" achievement. But when i try to load an old save, there isnt any. :([/QUOTE]

I had the same thing happen. I ended up having to blast through the game on casual to unlock the insane option again.

bread's done
Back