Official Mario Strikers Charged! Discussion and FCs

[quote name='io']'splain please? Is it just using Toad's juke to skip past the goalie, or is there more to it (and I realize that would be hard - I wouldn't have thought it possible but that's all I can think of to make him "jump").[/QUOTE]
You pretty much just jump over the goalie. If you're coming from a distance the goalie will be towards the outer edge of the box for an easier jump in. However for any other angle it can get tricky. From what I can tell from it, you have to watch the goalie's animation for movement. I had lots of success pausing in front of the goal for a sec or two then making the jump. As long as he's not moving and the angle is good, I think your safe. If the goalie moves the slighter before you hit the D-Pad, I'm pretty sure you're caught. Toad plus a mushroom and also just run right in without a jump. To counter Toad, any of the speedsters can cut them off with a steal even after they've jumped Critter. A slide tackle knocks the ball in as experience has shown me.

Toad, Daisy, Dry Bones, Boo, and I think one more character (peach?) can use their jukes to go past the goalie and walk in goals. Toad/Dry Bones are the easiest. Daisy's juke distance varies *I think* with how much the ball is glowing. I've accidentally juked myself into the wall a few times with her.

Hey (Si)Legendaryhedgehog06,

What happened when we tried to play yesterday? For some reason I got this error screen right as I accepted the match and got kicked off... tried to get the game back, but you were busy....

you seem to be top dog in these neck of the woods....
I've been able to beat Courageous whose #2 in a hard fought first to 5 goals series.... so I gotta test my skills... but you'll probably kill me = P

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']My code is 279279-787444

name is SirFragalt (can't put the last o in, damn mii channel, lol)[/quote]
GG.

You got damn lucky on that one match where you got a 6 megashot off, for some reason it wasn't registering when I was trying to block them.

And that sudden death match was intense!

[quote name='yukine']GG.

You got damn lucky on that one match where you got a 6 megashot off, for some reason it wasn't registering when I was trying to block them.

And that sudden death match was intense![/quote]That was a awesome game. I had more shots off but you got the better ones in in the last game. That last sudden death my game lagged right as I was blocking the last shot, but still awesome game :applause:.

[quote name='yukine']I still need CombatCraig, hohez, ep2011, konicki465, and lyric706 to add me back. Code is: 167610-457825

Thanks.[/quote]

I have everyone in the OP added but only a few are actually recognized. I'm guessing we have to be connected at the same time for it to go through all the way?

[quote name='bardiya27']good game lo, you scared me when you got the super mario in the last seconds of the game haha[/QUOTE]

Nah, that was just that I figured I better use it or lose it. I can never seem ti do anything with big Mario - it still seems people can tackle and do everything to you they normally do. I don't really get it.

Was that game incredibly laggy on your side with a horrible frame rate (like magiic said earlier on his game I'd say it was about 5 fps much of the time)? I couldn't see where I was half the time - my characters (and yours) kept skipping all over the place and my button presses weren't recognized on time (thus all the double passes again).

I played a ranked match after that and it was much better.

Before all that I had played the Crystal cup and got to the last elimination round with the first seed (lost to Wario in the last match 6-5 or something). The toad jump method is what got me there - it is awesome if you can pull it off. I can't see how it can be done with any consistency online though because you need a steady framerate and perfect timing to do it. However, in my ranked match I did pull one off in sudden death for the win, so that was rather awesome (I had failed about 4 tries before that).

[quote name='bardiya27']good game lo, you scared me when you got the super mario in the last seconds of the game haha[/QUOTE]

Nah, it was just that I figured I better use it or lose it. I can never seem to do anything with big Mario - it still seems people can tackle and do everything to you they normally do. I don't really get it.

Was that game incredibly laggy on your side with a horrible frame rate (like magiic said earlier on his game I'd say it was about 5 fps much of the time)? I couldn't see where I was half the time - my characters (and yours) kept skipping all over the place and my button presses weren't recognized on time (thus all the double passes again).

I played a ranked match after that and it was much better.

Before all that I had played the Crystal cup and got to the last elimination round with the first seed (lost to Wario in the last match 6-5 or something). The toad jump method is what got me there - it is awesome if you can pull it off. I can't see how it can be done with any consistency online though because you need a steady framerate and perfect timing to do it. However, in my ranked match I did pull one off in sudden death for the win, so that was rather awesome (I had failed about 4 tries before that).

[quote name='yukine']I still need CombatCraig, hohez, ep2011, konicki465, and lyric706 to add me back. Code is: 167610-457825

Thanks.[/quote]
Sorry I should show up correctly now.

This goes for everyone :D

AKA: I added everyone

Man, I absolutely despise the way the single player is setup on this.

My friend and I were playing the Crystal Cup yesterday, and twice, after winning every game, got knocked up by one cheap goal in the elimination round. Why on earth don't they let you at least restart from elimination rather than having to do the whole cup over again? For a game that as such random and cheap things going on in the environments, that setup is unthinkable.

2 hours wasted. I might just download a freaking saved game that has everything unlocked. :p

[quote name='daroga']Man, I absolutely despise the way the single player is setup on this.

My friend and I were playing the Crystal Cup yesterday, and twice, after winning every game, got knocked up by one cheap goal in the elimination round. Why on earth don't they let you at least restart from elimination rather than having to do the whole cup over again? For a game that as such random and cheap things going on in the environments, that setup is unthinkable.

2 hours wasted. I might just download a freaking saved game that has everything unlocked. :p[/QUOTE]

Entirely agreed. They could have let you start at the beginning of elimination at least. I made it all the way through, number 1 seed, beat the first one, and lost to the second when I messed up on allowing a megastrike. I blocked most of them, but that was all it took for dumb-ass Wario to win by 1 goal. The next match would have been against Diddy Kong. I could live with going back to my previous game (the first elimination) and replaying it, but it is very frustrating having to go through 10 more qualifiers. I've never downloaded a save for anything in my life, but I may just do it for this since my kids will want the last 2 characters and locked fields. I'll give it another shot first, though, of course. But I'm not doing that too many more times.

I was greatly encouraged that I could handle the CPU mostly though after being comnpletely destroyed the previous time I tried it. The toad jump trick, finally figuring out the passing charge-up deal (the reason I was not getting charge-ups before despite passing 10 times was that I was waiting too long between passes - didn't realize they had to be instantaneous), and being even more practiced in stopping megastrikes and skill shots made it much more manageable.

[quote name='io']Nah, it was just that I figured I better use it or lose it. I can never seem to do anything with big Mario - it still seems people can tackle and do everything to you they normally do. I don't really get it.[/quote]

The whole point is to just run around and squash everyone around you. It should give you enough time to let loose a charged shot (either for an item or just a better shot in general) or a 4-shot Megastrike.

[quote name='EXStrike']The whole point is to just run around and squash everyone around you. It should give you enough time to let loose a charged shot (either for an item or just a better shot in general) or a 4-shot Megastrike.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I do that but I almost always get tackled somehow :lol:. I'll figure it out one of these days. I think I just learned in my last ranked match that I need to go for the smaller megastrikes. I always try to get 6 and this guy was firing off these 3-4 ones before I could do anything to him. Then thanks to the lag (why the fuck is there lag on the megastrike defend - that should be running entirely on the defenders system!) you'll invariably score 1 or 2, anyway. That was his strategy, anyway, and he ended up winning by 1 goal in 2 of the 3 games.

Botticus - have you entered my FC on your system? I'm still showing you as "Connecting..." (along with several others from the OP).

io, keep in mind that items can be used against you as big Mario. Even a little shell (or the goalie) can take you down.

Has anyone messed with the camera settings in the options? Just wondering if the default is the best or not.

[quote name='V Man']Hey (Si)Legendaryhedgehog06,

What happened when we tried to play yesterday? For some reason I got this error screen right as I accepted the match and got kicked off... tried to get the game back, but you were busy....

you seem to be top dog in these neck of the woods....
I've been able to beat Courageous whose #2 in a hard fought first to 5 goals series.... so I gotta test my skills... but you'll probably kill me = P[/quote]
I have no idea. I figure its probably just the servers which I should hope Nintendo will have sorted in a few more days time. I've had a lot of odd notices, like disconnected due to error with data transmission etc.

I've been lucky a lot of times and theres still a lot of stuff I need to get the hang of. With some luck I'll be on at some point tonight I have work all day probably like 9ish Eastern. I'll look for you then if you're on.

If some people are expecting XBL-like service from any online Nintendo game, you are going to be disappointed.

Nintendo's online service is relatively new and they are still working the kinks out. XBL has been in place since the first Xbox and has had a lot of time to evolve and mature. Not to mention the fact that XBL is funded by gamers so Microsoft has a lot more resources to throw at their online infrastructure. WFC is free so we are pretty much stuck with what Nintendo is willing to do.

We have to remember that WFC is getting absolutely swamped right now since this is the launch week for the game. Everyone is wanting to try out online so everyone is currently logging in and playing. Once the initial hype dies down, the service will straighten itself out. As sad as it is, this has happened with every WFC game launch (I'm speaking of the DS games in particular).

[quote name='CouRageouS']You pretty much just jump over the goalie. If you're coming from a distance the goalie will be towards the outer edge of the box for an easier jump in. However for any other angle it can get tricky. From what I can tell from it, you have to watch the goalie's animation for movement. I had lots of success pausing in front of the goal for a sec or two then making the jump. As long as he's not moving and the angle is good, I think your safe. If the goalie moves the slighter before you hit the D-Pad, I'm pretty sure you're caught. Toad plus a mushroom and also just run right in without a jump. To counter Toad, any of the speedsters can cut them off with a steal even after they've jumped Critter. A slide tackle knocks the ball in as experience has shown me.

Toad, Daisy, Dry Bones, Boo, and I think one more character (peach?) can use their jukes to go past the goalie and walk in goals. Toad/Dry Bones are the easiest. Daisy's juke distance varies *I think* with how much the ball is glowing. I've accidentally juked myself into the wall a few times with her.[/quote]

You Toad jumped me last night you bastard! ;)

I lost both matches to you last night (imagine that) but I felt I did so much better than I normally do - at least in the first match.

Then I went online and got beat twice by noobs like myself. As Tybee said, my e-penis is in the negative numbers right now.

It's frightening to me just how quickly people get sooo good at these games, and how much they play them. I can't even fathom how people can play enough to get more than 1000 points in a day.

I actually think the online play, and even the friend codes system is setup quite nicely. I'd obviously prefer one friend code, or a gamertag like on XBL, but for free it's not bad at all. I do think it's silly that they didn't enable voice chat considering those little brats get it in fucking Pokemon!

I have faith in the online play for the Wii now, hopefully Smash Bros. Brawl is online and we get voice!

[quote name='daroga']It's frightening to me just how quickly people get sooo good at these games, and how much they play them. I can't even fathom how people can play enough to get more than 1000 points in a day.[/quote]Playing over 100 games in a day is beyond belief. That's a minimum of 30 matches. So at least some 6 hours, plus connecting/setup times.

[quote name='daroga']Man, I absolutely despise the way the single player is setup on this.

2 hours wasted. I might just download a freaking saved game that has everything unlocked. :p[/quote]
I noticed that when you leave the cup, it asks you if you would like to save. Can you exit the game before the save point, then return to play the match you lost?

[quote name='CouRageouS']
Toad, Daisy, Dry Bones, Boo, and I think one more character (peach?) can use their jukes to go past the goalie and walk in goals. Toad/Dry Bones are the easiest. Daisy's juke distance varies *I think* with how much the ball is glowing. I've accidentally juked myself into the wall a few times with her.[/quote] Waluigi's deke can warp you past the goalie.

[quote name='botticus']Playing over 100 games in a day is beyond belief. That's a minimum of 30 matches. So at least some 6 hours, plus connecting/setup times.[/quote] I have a feeling that there are 3-4 people playing on the same account when I see some of these high scores. That and a single person juiced up on energy drinks accounts for the top players of the day.

EDIT: I am adding all of the friend codes from the beginning of the thread as we speak. That you all in advance for taking the time to add me as a friend. After all, everyone could use a friend.

[quote name='yukine']I actually think the online play, and even the friend codes system is setup quite nicely. I'd obviously prefer one friend code, or a gamertag like on XBL, but for free it's not bad at all. I do think it's silly that they didn't enable voice chat considering those little brats get it in fucking Pokemon!

I have faith in the online play for the Wii now, hopefully Smash Bros. Brawl is online and we get voice![/quote]

One of the Charged devs stated that the Mii friend code would transfer from game to game...then he was contradicted by another Nintendo rep - as usual.

I really, really, hope that what he said was true. I wonder where the friends list is actually saved? Is it online? You have to log into WFC to see your friends list so it could possibly be saved on Nintendo's end. If that is the case, there is hope that friends lists could transfer.

[quote name='daroga']It's frightening to me just how quickly people get sooo good at these games, and how much they play them. I can't even fathom how people can play enough to get more than 1000 points in a day.[/QUOTE]
I kinda think its funny because there no reward for the points (yet) and then come Sunday, everyone's seasons points are reset correct? Win/Loss record stays, but points are gone if I understand the system correctly.

Played thru the Fire Cup last night. Had problems trying to connect to online around 11pm EST. I only tried twice though before I went to bed.

This game is fucking awesome. I'll try and get my friend code up and posted tonight sometime after I install the new grill on my truck. :)

[quote name='daroga']io, keep in mind that items can be used against you as big Mario. Even a little shell (or the goalie) can take you down.

Has anyone messed with the camera settings in the options? Just wondering if the default is the best or not.[/quote]

I messed with them at lunch and went through each of the settings for both Dynamic (which is the default, set at 3) and Static. I think all Dynamic does is zoom out the view as the ball stretches past the current field of view. Static does no zooming at all but just follows the action.

The levels seem to correspond to how zoomed out the camera is by default: 1 being the furthest out and 5 being the closest in. Static on 5 was too zoomed in. You couldn't see where your sidekicks were unless they were right next to you. 4 was still a little too close, so it seemed like the sweet spot was 3.

Dynamic at 4, however, was great for me. It keeps close (but not too close) to the characters so you can actually see who is who, and zooms out as it needs to when the ball goes out of the field of view.

I'm playing on a 32" CRT HDTV and with it set to widescreen, the default view is almost too small for me. Dynamic/4 seems to be the best mix for me but I think it would competely depend on your TV size.

[quote name='retodd']I noticed that when you leave the cup, it asks you if you would like to save. Can you exit the game before the save point, then return to play the match you lost?[/quote]

No, the game knows you disconnected. This was the first thing i tried once i got to Crystal Cup Knockout round and was going to lose. It comes up with a strikers time as soon as you go back into the cup and says your fans are disappointed or something.

[quote name='daminion']would love to get added to the list of wii friend codes :)

2478-8974-3103-1436[/quote]Your Strikers friend code is unfortunately different than your Wii code. You should see it on the top of your friend roster when you log in.

We currently have 16 people signed up for the tournament, so I think that'll be enough to stick with the 8/5 deadline. We will certainly have as many tournaments as there is interest, so no worries if you're not in for the first one.

Shall we have qualifying rounds or just go straight to a bracket with random seeding? The latter will be quicker and easier, former will be more legitimate as far as tournaments go.

[quote name='mpj31']IVe gotten a lot of errors as well. A lot of the game is who you pick. If you have more than 1 slow person your pretty much screwed.[/quote]

Wait...You can have more than two people (or two pairs of at-home people) playing online? How did I not know this?

[quote name='daroga']io, keep in mind that items can be used against you as big Mario. Even a little shell (or the goalie) can take you down.[/QUOTE]
Big Mario/Luigi can also be stopped by a well timed tackle. People just seem to get afraid and try to run away most of the time though.

botticus go with the quicker easier way. Its not like we're going for a prize or anything. If we were I'd say do Round Robin style for points where everyone ends up playing everyone else at least once.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Big Mario/Luigi can also be stopped by a well timed tackle. People just seem to get afraid and try to run away most of the time though.

botticus go with the quicker easier way. Its not like we're going for a prize or anything. If we were I'd say do Round Robin style for points where everyone ends up playing everyone else at least once.[/quote]

I agree. At least for the first tourney, let's go with a quick style.

[quote name='Tybee']Wait...You can have more than two people (or two pairs of at-home people) playing online? How did I not know this?[/quote]

No, he was referring to your sidekicks that you choose for your team. 2 vs. 2 is the most you can play with online.

I agree lets go the quick way.

And I just played a guy who kept jumping over the goal keeper, that shit is fucking lame and is like snaking in Mario Kart.

Edit: Actually, worse.

[quote name='hohez']No, the game knows you disconnected. This was the first thing i tried once i got to Crystal Cup Knockout round and was going to lose. It comes up with a strikers time as soon as you go back into the cup and says your fans are disappointed or something.[/quote]
Next time you play, Mr. Resetti pops out of the pitch, pulls your jersey over your head, and procedes to beat you about the head and neck.

So does anybody have rankings for CAG? Si seems to be first... according my list of friends I am number 2. I only have 6 of yall though so hook me up sometime I'd like to play some different people.

daroga was #2 for a while with 180+ points the last I saw (haven't logged in for a few days). Do scores reset on Sunday or Monday (they have a countdown for the season, don't recall how many days are left)?

[quote name='ep2011']I'm probably last. I have 0 wins and 5 losses. Any help? :eek:[/quote]Make use of the juke moves (d-pad while holding the ball), helps you hang onto the ball longer, more shot opportunities. If you can make it through the Fire Cup, chances are you're doing okay, probably just getting stuck playing against better people. I'm struggling through the Crystal Cup, but I've done well enough to get an 11-11 record. Lots of times it just depends on who you're playing and what kind of style they play with.

Have two power characters and two speed characterseither of which can be your captain. Have power like Birdo or Monty Mole up front and speed like Dry Bones or Toad in back.

i got the game and have been playing multiplayer with a few of my buddies to practice. Is it iight if i add you CaGers to my FL when i hop on so we can get some CAG action going?

[quote name='botticus']If you can make it through the Fire Cup, chances are you're doing okay, probably just getting stuck playing against better people.[/QUOTE]

Story of my life. It's really starting to make me mad everytime I play.

If the OP could update from now on the DATES as well as the strikers code it would be much easier to get everyone added. I added everyone on the list 3 days ago, but now its hard to go through each post finding everyones codes.

[quote name='mpj31']If the OP could update from now on the DATES as well as the strikers code it would be much easier to get everyone added. I added everyone on the list 3 days ago, but now its hard to go through each post finding everyones codes.[/quote]Yeah, I was going to do that, but figured it'd be easier for people to pick and choose who they want to add if they're alphabetical. Obviously the flip side is that it's hard to keep track of who you've added already if you're adding everyone. Might do it both ways from now on.

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, I was going to do that, but figured it'd be easier for people to pick and choose who they want to add if they're alphabetical. Obviously the flip side is that it's hard to keep track of who you've added already if you're adding everyone. Might do it both ways from now on.[/quote]

You are kicking ass just to update as much as you do, I really appreciate it. Maybe you could just asterisk each new days additions or something - althoug cutting and pasting a date would probably be just as easy.

bread's done
Back