Official Microsoft Points and Xbox Live subscriptions Deal Thread - Read rules in OP!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Xbox Live Subscription and Microsoft Currency deal thread!

This thread is for in-store or online deals on Live subscriptions or Microsoft currency/Microsoft Points.

It is NOT for:

• Discussion of Bing Search and using Bing to get currency or other rewards
  • Discussion of exploits related to receiving a free month of Xbox Live
Happy gaming!

Last edited by a moderator:
They have improved the service substantially in 8 years and never raised the cost. Remember spring and fall updates to the blade system? We didn't always have party chat, group invites, etc. They listened to users and have constantly evolved the service twice a year for a few years without asking for an extra dime. It's easy to point to Sony & less so Nintendo and say they are free, but honestly PS3 users have Live subscribers to thank for the bulk of ideas Live put forth over the years for Sony to copy w/o charging their user base a monthly fee for R&D.

[quote name='simmias']Inflation makes no sense when you're talking about technology. In reality, prices come down as the technology advances. Think about your TV, your laptop... even your internet service - what did $40/mo buy you 8 years ago vs. today? Eight years ago it cost MS substantially more money to operate Live than it does today.[/QUOTE]

You don't think that 1 million live users downloading a limited amount of content 8 years ago is significantly lower than the 20 million (number pulled out of my ass) downloading free demos, videos and such on a daily basis? The bandwidth they go through on a daily basis has to be outrageous. MS could subsidize that cost to the the developers, but I think we would see far fewer demos if that were the case.

I do say it is in pretty poor taste/ rare form for MS to brag about the Billions they made on Live last year only to turn around and up the price a couple months later.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']Eight years ago we didn't have a dashboard over-run with ads.
[/QUOTE]

Well no, Live 1.0 (or whatever it is considered on the original xbox) wasn't quite as robust to allow such a thing but the dash was covered with them soon after the 360 launch. There was something on every blade. At least now they are all grouped together in the Spotlight channel and completely avoidable. Complaining about them is silly, IMO, with how unobtrusive they really are.

Personally I hope all the big talkers put their money where their mouth is and cancel and maybe MS will get a clue, but my sneaking suspicion is that this is a case of the vocal minority. I don't like the extra $10 any more than you guys, but an extra $.80 cents a month is not going to break the bank.

I also apologize if this has been said already and I missed it in the comotion, but Amazon has raised the price of the 12-month card to $44.50, and I no longer see a 12-month card listed on NewEgg, just the 12-month + PGR4 bundle for $55+shipping.

[quote name='Commy']I also apologize if this has been said already and I missed it in the comotion, but Amazon has raised the price of the 12-month card to $44.50, and I no longer see a 12-month card listed on NewEgg, just the 12-month + PGR4 bundle for $55+shipping.[/QUOTE]

Argh.. I should have jumped on those cards two days ago. I hope this isn't the new "sale" price from Amazon.

[quote name='Commy']Amazon has raised the price of the 12-month card to $44.50[/QUOTE]

That's a third party seller, not Amazon.

Anyway, I'm not too up on Amazon's selling of these cards, and you're spot on that it's a third party seller, I just hadn't noticed since I had clicked the link in the first page. Does this mean that they're out of stock, and is this common?

Kiss the Wal-Mart deals goodbye: They're back to their regular price on 1600 points cards and 12 month sub cards.

$50 a year is plenty enough to pay for live. Microsoft just getting greedier and greedier and know if people are dumb enough to purchase 2 or 3 360's due to red rings then they will pay the $10 more a year for live. I'll fill them in on something, they have a competitor and it's called PS3 and PSN and it's free so I don't need live. Had lots of fun playing MW2 on my shiny 500 gig ps3 last night and it was free.

[quote name='benjamouth']I read somewhere that MS have suspended the production of the 12 month cards, so they may get scarce for a little while.[/QUOTE]

that would be a dick move if theyre trying to prevent people from purchasing them now at the cheaper rate, sounds about right.

[quote name='ps2emotions']$50 a year is plenty enough to pay for live. Microsoft just getting greedier and greedier and know if people are dumb enough to purchase 2 or 3 360's due to red rings then they will pay the $10 more a year for live. I'll fill them in on something, they have a competitor and it's called PS3 and PSN and it's free so I don't need live. Had lots of fun playing MW2 on my shiny 500 gig ps3 last night and it was free.[/QUOTE]

Get out.:)

Moved the price increase thread back into the 360 forum, grabbed the info about the Messenger Gold pack from the other thread and copied it into the OP.

Has anyone seen the new deal on xbox live? you can get 3 months of gold for 50% off, so $9.99. I'm still waiting for the 12 months to go down to $30 again, but I think it's 40 right now so the 3 months deal is now on par for this weekend.

[quote name='randomthinker']Just wanted to point out KMart has $10 coupon w/ 1600 points and $20 w/ 4000, per KmartGamer thread.[/QUOTE]

This.

Sears.com has the 1600 point card for $14.97. Free shipping at least through tonight (Tuesday). Also for store pick up, but no idea how long that lasts.

[quote name='paulwekiva']Sears.com has the 1600 point card for $14.97. Free shipping at least through tonight (Tuesday). Also for store pick up, but no idea how long that lasts.[/QUOTE]

Is there a code for shipping or am I missing something? It shows up as $6.95 shipping for me. Only offer I see is "Ships free with Shipvantage."

Eh, I can do store pickup for the Sears deal, but tax kills it. Brings it to about $17 a card. I may as well wait for a sale elsewhere. I hate CA sales tax.

[quote name='paulwekiva']Sears.com has the 1600 point card for $14.97. Free shipping at least through tonight (Tuesday). Also for store pick up, but no idea how long that lasts.[/QUOTE]

Where is this free shipping option? My local stores don't have any so if I can get me some free shipping I'd be happy!

i bit on the sears deal, got 3 cards and my total after signing up for the free shipping method was $47.07, not bad for $60 worth of ms points, im used to buying them at around this price point and there are a crap load of good XBLA games coming out so i figured why not, if your intrested i'd say hurry cause these kinds of deals don't stick around for long

Almost did the Sears deal, but too much hassle to make it worth it. You have to sign up for a "Amazon Prime" like shipping deal to get the free S/H and after reading the reviews for the service found out they apparently hassle you when you try to cancel it. Plus, throw in tax on top of it just spoiled it for me. Granted it's not a lot, but that coupled with the sign up for Free S/H was just a deal breaker for me.

I jumped on 4 cards from Sears.com. I signed up for the free shipping thingy and it was way simple.
Walmart is still owes me 3 cards I ordered form them 2 weeks ago. If this deal is still going by the time those show up I'll return them for 3 more from Sears.

hey i'm looking around for a 12month live subscription card...but they're all $40 or higher. wouldn't it be ok to just order 12 months of live straight from microsoft right now since they're doing the $40 for 12 months deal?

[quote name='Tekniqs']hey i'm looking around for a 12month live subscription card...but they're all $40 or higher. wouldn't it be ok to just order 12 months of live straight from microsoft right now since they're doing the $40 for 12 months deal?[/QUOTE]

You can buy the cards and save them for later. You can only have a certain amount stocked up on Live at once (3 years?). So you could buy 3(?) from microsoft, and keep some cards around for when it is about to expire.

Has anyone heard from Dell about their order? My Wallmart order is about to get here and I wanted to return it since I jumped on the Dell deal. Hoping it goes through!

How much is the Dell deal exactly, after tax and free shipping?

EDIT:
Nevermind, it's $15.72. Might have to bite, because I'm getting pretty low on points.

Thanks for the heads up, just price matched this at Best Buy :)

[quote name='YoungE808']Thanks for the heads up, just price matched this at Best Buy :)[/QUOTE]

How'd you get them to price match? Don't they only price match physical ads?

[quote name='Unknown50862']How'd you get them to price match? Don't they only price match physical ads?[/QUOTE]

Nah, along with the 1600 points I price matched Anchorman blu-ray for $9.99.

[quote name='YoungE808']Nah, along with the 1600 points I price matched Anchorman blu-ray for $9.99.[/QUOTE]

Well how exactly do you do this though? Do you print out the listing online or just tell them about it?

[quote name='Unknown50862']Well how exactly do you do this though? Do you print out the listing online or just tell them about it?[/QUOTE]

Oh my bad for not listing it in the above post. I just went up to the guy and said "I want to price match this with bestbuy.com". So yes, just told them about it.

[quote name='YoungE808']Oh my bad for not listing it in the above post. I just went up to the guy and said "I want to price match this with bestbuy.com". So yes, just told them about it.[/QUOTE]

I think he's asking how you managed to PM the Sears 1600 point cards online to Best Buy in-store.

I decided to just give in and pick up the points at Sears 'cause I needed points badly for a Rock Band party.

It's the last time I'll ever do merchandise pick-up at Sears. The pick-up center wasn't in the store itself, a fact that three employees couldn't even tell me before I got to a CS rep who could. It was a separate location on the side of the building: I had to go down a ramp where big rigs go to unload, and walk through a narrow, dimly lit corridor at the bottom of the ramp to get to a cramped room with a touchscreen kiosk and no human body stationed there. I had to scan my e-mail bar code and swipe my credit card at the machine, and then wait for someone (presumably) to come out from behind a door to deliver the items. There was an overhead screen with a timer that showed that my order was first on the queue.

After 5 minutes, nobody came. All of a sudden, my listing in the queue changed to "completed." Um, no, not really. I tried hollering around the building--no answer. It was only after about 10 minutes of searching around the building that I found a messy warehouse walled off by chain link fencing. I waited around there for a while, finally spied somebody's head behind some cardboard boxes and got her attention. She then radioed in my situation. After another 5 minutes, the person on the other end said my order wasn't in the bin it was supposed to be in. He finally came out with my points cards after a long wait, and acted like it was no big deal that I had to wait for half an hour to pick up my order. WTF.

They need to go to Best Buy to see how merchandise pick-up should be done. I can't believe I'm even praising Best Buy for once.

[quote name='rapsodist']I decided to just give in and pick up the points at Sears 'cause I needed points badly for a Rock Band party.

It's the last time I'll ever do merchandise pick-up at Sears. The pick-up center wasn't in the store itself, a fact that three employees couldn't even tell me before I got to a CS rep who could. It was a separate location on the side of the building: I had to go down a ramp where big rigs go to unload, and walk through a narrow, dimly lit corridor at the bottom of the ramp to get to a cramped room with a touchscreen kiosk and no human body stationed there. I had to scan my e-mail bar code and swipe my credit card at the machine, and then wait for someone (presumably) to come out from behind a door to deliver the items. There was an overhead screen with a timer that showed that my order was first on the queue.

After 5 minutes, nobody came. All of a sudden, my listing in the queue changed to "completed." Um, no, not really. I tried hollering around the building--no answer. It was only after about 10 minutes of searching around the building that I found a messy warehouse walled off by chain link fencing. I waited around there for a while, finally spied somebody's head behind some cardboard boxes and got her attention. She then radioed in my situation. After another 5 minutes, the person on the other end said my order wasn't in the bin it was supposed to be in. He finally came out with my points cards after a long wait, and acted like it was no big deal that I had to wait for half an hour to pick up my order. WTF.

They need to go to Best Buy to see how merchandise pick-up should be done. I can't believe I'm even praising Best Buy for once.[/QUOTE]

Call sears customer support number. I remember back when I worked there if you didnt get your order in under 5 minutes from the merchandise pickup (15 if it was a big item) that they would give you a $10 gift card for the trouble.

I had no issue at all with the pick up at Sears. Placed my order, headed out the door - before I got there the email was sent to my phone that it was ready. Got there, swiped my card at the machine, and someone brought it out to me in like 40 seconds and I was on my way...

Any chance someone can pick me up one of those sears 1600 cards? I can do amazon gift card in exchange.

Cant choose any local store.

[quote name='goMaki']I think he's asking how you managed to PM the Sears 1600 point cards online to Best Buy in-store.[/QUOTE]

It was the same way, just told them that I wanted to price match with sears.com.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Cam you price match this (1600 pts for 14.97) at kmart?[/QUOTE]

Certainly wouldn't hurt to try, but you might need an ad.

bread's done
Back