Official National Football League (NFL) 2006 Regular season kickoff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
Time to lead with some sorry news....

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=A86.M4QtTtpE9RUAIAY5nYcB?slug=ap-clarettarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Maurice Clarett was charged with carrying a concealed weapon after a highway chase early Wednesday that ended with police using Mace on the former Ohio State running back and finding four loaded guns in his sport utility vehicle.

Officers used Mace to subdue Clarett after a stun gun was ineffective because the former Fiesta Bowl star was wearing a bullet-resistant vest, Sgt. Michael Woods said.

"It took several officers to get him handcuffed," Woods said. "Even after he was placed in the paddy wagon, he was still kicking at the doors and being a problem for the officers."

The complaint police filed when they charged him with carrying a concealed weapon without permit said he had a 9 mm handgun under his legs in the driver's seat of an SUV. Police also charged him with weaving in and out of lanes on a road before he entered the highway. More charges are possible, Woods said.

Clarett did not speak to police who tried to interview him at the station before he was moved to the Franklin County Jail.

Wearing tan jail-issue clothes, he talked on the telephone in the booking area, separated from reporters by a window. He was to be held at the jail at least until an arraignment Thursday morning, unless his attorneys work out an agreement for his release, police said.

Clarett made an illegal U-turn on the city's east side and failed to stop when officers, in a cruiser with lights flashing, tried to pull him over, Woods said.
Police said they pursued Clarett onto the eastbound lanes of Interstate 70, one of the city's main freeways, when he darted across the median and began heading west. Clarett drove over a spike strip that was placed on the highway, flattening the driver's side tires of the SUV, Woods said. A police helicopter in the area helped track the vehicle.

Clarett exited the highway and pulled into a restaurant parking lot about 10 minutes after police say they saw him make the U-turn. Officers removed him from the SUV after he failed to obey numerous orders to exit the vehicle, Woods said.

After Clarett was placed in a police van, officers discovered a loaded assault rifle on the passenger seat and three handguns in the front of the car, including one in a holster in a backpack on the passenger-side floor.
"We don't have any idea why he had them or what, if anything, he was going to do with them," Woods said. Police don't know where Clarett got the guns or where he was headed or coming from in the SUV. Federal authorities plan to trace the guns' ownership.

A half-full bottle of vodka was found in the SUV, but no breath test was administered because police had no indication that Clarett was intoxicated, Woods said. Police also found a compact disc of children's songs recorded by Ohio prison inmates that the state distributed last month to prisoners and their families. The 22-year-old Clarett is currently awaiting trial on two counts of aggravated robbery, four counts of robbery and one count of carrying a concealed weapon in a separate case. Authorities said he was identified by witnesses as the person who flashed a gun and robbed two people of a cell phone in an alley behind the Opium Lounge in Columbus in the early hours of Jan. 1.

One of Clarett's attorneys in that case, Nick Mango, said he was going to the jail to see Clarett to "make sure he's OK emotionally and mentally." Clarett has not asked Mango to represent him on the new charges.

"I'm shocked as everyone else is about the allegation," Mango said. "Obviously, he's a young man with a lot of weight on his shoulders."
The home address Clarett gave police was his mother's house in Youngstown. A message seeking comment was left at the home.

Clarett scored the winning touchdown in the second overtime of the Fiesta Bowl against Miami to lead Ohio State to the 2002 national championship, the school's first since 1968. But that was the last game the freshman played for Ohio State.

He sat out the 2003 season after being charged with misdemeanor falsification on a police report, then dropped out of school. He sued to be included in the 2004 NFL draft and lost in court.

A surprise third-round pick in the 2005 draft, he was cut by the Denver Broncos during the preseason.

Clarett plans to play for the Mahoning Valley Hitmen, one of five teams in the Eastern Indoor Football League. The team, based in Clarett's hometown of Youngstown, is to begin play in January.

Hitmen coach and owner Jim Terry said that there was no indication that anything was wrong when he spoke with Clarett by cell phone early Wednesday morning about the team's upcoming tryouts. The call was disconnected around 1 a.m. and Terry missed Clarett's second call about an hour and a half later, which would have been near the time when police say they saw Clarett make a U-turn.

The arrest will not affect Clarett's status with the team, Terry said.
"We gave him a chance and now we'll wait to see what happens," he said. "I've seen far worse situations than this."

Clarett has not signed a contract with the team yet, pending a fire marshal's inspection of the team's home field. Clarett's proposed contract includes attendance incentives which cannot be finalized until the fire marshal determines the capacity of the team's arena. Associated Press writer JoAnne Viviano contributed to this story.

Can you say Lawrence Phillips?

Anyway, look for the Redskins to be big contenders this year!

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, at least it wasn't another fucking Bengal getting arrested.[/quote]

I mentioned that to my brother-in-law last night. A lot of people are making comparisons between the Bengals and the NBA Trailblazers (affectionately know as the Jailblazers).

If Carolina can contain the injury bug I cannot see anyone stopping them. Their running game should actually be effective this year, they have a solid number 2 reciever (not to mention Colbert is actually going to be healthy this year, which he was not last year), and most of the good teams in the league lost significant parts.

Steve Smith = MVP

The Cowboys should also be good, but their division is way too tough and I think Larry Allen and Keyshawn >>>>TO.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']If Carolina can contain the injury bug I cannot see anyone stopping them. Their running game should actually be effective this year, they have a solid number 2 reciever (not to mention Colbert is actually going to be healthy this year, which he was not last year), and most of the good teams in the league lost significant parts.

Steve Smith = MVP

The Cowboys should also be good, but their division is way too tough and I think Larry Allen and Keyshawn >>>>TO.[/quote]

Do you guys still have Stephen Davis or has he reitired?

I believe he was released due to his knee problem not going away, and I do not think anyone has picked him up. If his knee gets better, I think he will get picked up midseason.

Also Mark Fields is talking about coming back, but it will not be with the Panthers.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, at least it wasn't another fucking Bengal getting arrested.[/quote]

Maybe they should pick him up. I could drive him to and from Columbus each day. He'd have to provide me with my own bullet-proof vest as compensation though. Clearly he was just concerned that there might be another Columbus Highway Sniper out there and he wanted to be prepared. I commend him for his resourcefullness. I think I might go out and buy a #13 Mahoning Valley Hitmen jersey just to show my support.

[quote name='shipwreck']Maybe they should pick him up. I could drive him to and from Columbus each day. He'd have to provide me with my own bullet-proof vest as compensation though. Clearly he was just concerned that there might be another Columbus Highway Sniper out there and he wanted to be prepared. I commend him for his resourcefullness. I think I might go out and buy a #13 Mahoning Valley Hitmen jersey just to show my support.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='CaseyRyback']If Carolina can contain the injury bug I cannot see anyone stopping them. Their running game should actually be effective this year, they have a solid number 2 reciever (not to mention Colbert is actually going to be healthy this year, which he was not last year), and most of the good teams in the league lost significant parts.

Steve Smith = MVP[/QUOTE]
Agree, I'm picking the Panthers to win it all. I don't think Steve Smith will be MVP though because with Keyshawn there and Colbert healthy plus Foster and DeAngelo Williams splitting time in the backfield and defenses more concious of him he won't have as good of a season. Not to mention TO and Moss are back and healthy and should take alot of the spotlight away from him.

I live in Dallas, and while I think the Cowboys could make a run in the playoffs, it's only going to take a small spark for the whole thing to explode. There seems to be friction with Parcells and Jerry Jones over the signing of TO. Not to mention it already seems like TO is a total douchebag and I think he is faking his hamstring injury. If it does hit the fan no way Parcells will be back next year.

As much as I want to be excited about Favre's comment that the current Packers team is the most talented he's ever been on, I just keep waiting for the injury reports.

With the team being healthy, they could fall into a better record than last year, but during that fall, half the team will probably end up injured.

They did have a pretty good draft though, and I am expecting/hoping for at least an 8-8 this year.

I'm also picking the Panthers to win it all this year. Delhomme + a decent receiver to accompany Smith = win!

I'm picking Chris Chambers to be the top receiver this year.

The bengals take me back to the Vikings circa early 80's with the daily DWI arrests led by their top QB and Top Shelf Drunk Tommy Kramer. (AKA the wife beater)

[quote name='whiteboy']Agree, I'm picking the Panthers to win it all. I don't think Steve Smith will be MVP though because with Keyshawn there and Colbert healthy plus Foster and DeAngelo Williams splitting time in the backfield and defenses more concious of him he won't have as good of a season. Not to mention TO and Moss are back and healthy and should take alot of the spotlight away from him.[/QUOTE]

The thing is they knew that Steve Smith was going to get the ball just about every time Jake threw it and he still was beating their brains out. Not having to face double coverage (more like the whole secondary in the case of the Seahawks game) should mean more opportunities. Plus Keyshawn can block downfield so those little outs they like to throw that netted Steve a lot of his yards should work even better.

I am not saying that he will put up the numbers he did last year, but even if it is close I think he will walk away with the award (since many of the better teams have lost key people).

[quote name='GuilewasNK']They just said on ESPN that Mike Bell will be the starter in Denver, not Tatum Bell or Ron Dayne.[/quote] I saw that the other day. While I don't doubt Mike's ability to choose good backs, this was kind of puzzling that the near 1k yard back wasn't chosen for the starting job at least for the preseason. LenDale White would've been a perfect draft choice for them to fill the hole Anderson left. I look forward to seeing how Mike Bell does in the preseason, along with the other rookies and new guys.

Whoever Denvers puts in the backfeild is going to be considered one of the top 8 running backs no matter what Denver is just that good at training Rbs. I mean clinton portis was on Denver for his first few years and did better in those years then he is doing now at a more experianced age. Oh and the situation wiht clarett he is honetly one of the most retarded people ive ever seen, he had a perfectly good chance at being one of the greatest Rb's of the current day but everything went downhill when he wanted to sew the NFL for not letting underclassmen be eligable for the draft.

[quote name='assasin4hire']Whoever Denvers puts in the backfeild is going to be considered one of the top 8 running backs no matter what Denver is just that good at training Rbs. I mean clinton portis was on Denver for his first few years and did better in those years then he is doing now at a more experianced age. Oh and the situation wiht clarett he is honetly one of the most retarded people ive ever seen, he had a perfectly good chance at being one of the greatest Rb's of the current day but everything went downhill when he wanted to sew the NFL for not letting underclassmen be eligable for the draft.[/quote]
An established Denver running back can be considered one of the best in the league, not an unproven, inexperienced back. He seemed to do well in their first game, but still needs work.

However, Arizona looked good in their first game in their gorgeous new stadium. Kurt Warner did well, the defense did well to stop the Steelers to get a win. I may have to see about getting tickets for a regular season game sometime this season to check out the new stadium. If I wasn't going home for the rest of the month, I'd try to see about going to their game against the Broncos. Maybe I'll see about checking out the Browns against the Bears when I get home.

fuck yeah! time for some football. nowhere to go but up for my 49ers.

Living in San Diego now its going to suck not being able to watch niner games. But they do play the chargers this year so I can for sure watch one of their games.

[quote name='DT778']fuck yeah! time for some football. nowhere to go but up for my 49ers.

Living in San Diego now its going to suck not being able to watch niner games. But they do play the chargers this year so I can for sure watch one of their games.[/QUOTE]

ha atleast you can look up...i cant..my bills still dont have a qb,the line stinks which will make a featured back like mcgahee stink it up, not to mention i have dick jauron as a head coach...i was really hoping for ron rivera but dam it had to be jauron who only had one good season..still kicking the bills ass for not hiring Charlie Weiss when they had the chance.

Junior Seau to retire Monday

SAN DIEGO -- Junior Seau, a 12-time Pro Bowl linebacker who played with the San Diego Chargers and the Miami Dolphins during a 16-year NFL career, will announce his retirement Monday.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,sans-serif]
s1548.jpg

Seau[/FONT]

Seau will make the announcement at a news conference at Chargers Park on Monday afternoon, the team said in a statement Sunday.
The 37-year-old Seau spent the past three seasons with Miami after being acquired from San Diego.
He was released by the Dolphins in March after missing 17 games the past two years due to injury. He finished both seasons on injured reserve, and an Achilles tendon injury limited him to seven games in 2005. Seau ended the 2004 season on injured reserve because of a torn pectoral muscle.
In spring 2003 the Chargers, feeling that Seau's best years were behind him, allowed his agent to shop for a trade. Seau then was sent to Miami.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2548201

[quote name='keithp']Raiders representing--we'll be lucky to go 8-8.

At least I'll have fun watching Dallas self-destruct![/QUOTE]
Yeah, I have low expectations this year. I just want to see the offense clicking and our young defensive players (Morrison, Washington, Huff, Howard, Bing, Rout, etc.) improving. I really don't think we're that far off from being a very solid team again, the O-line needs to improve/develop some more, the defense needs to develop, and Shell needs to weed out the slackers and in a few years I think we can be going deep into the playoffs year in and year out. We'd also need to pickup a new QB on the way so maybe doing poorly this season is for the best.

Pre-season Predictions:

NFC East: Washington
NFC South: Carolina
NFC West: Seattle
NFC North: Chicago
NFC Wildcards: Dallas and Arizona
NFC Champ: Carolina Panthers

AFC East: New England
AFC South: Indianapolis
AFC West: Kansas City
AFC North: Cincinnati
AFC Wildcards: Miami and Jacksonville
AFC Champ: Kansas City Chiefs

Super Bowl Champ: Carolina Panthers

I think my division predictions are fairly safe, however, the Wildcards could really go either way. In the NFC the Bucs and Giants could replace either Wildcard team IMO. In the AFC the Steelers and Broncos could replace either Wildcard team and the Steelers could definitely be AFC North champs. I just mainly went with my gut on these (like anyone else doesn't).

Either way, the Panthers are a lock to win the Super Bowl.

[quote name='2Fast']Pre-season Predictions:

NFC Central: Chicago

AFC Central: Cincinnati

I think my division predictions are fairly safe, however, the Wildcards could really go either way. In the NFC the Bucs and Giants could replace either Wildcard team IMO. In the AFC the Steelers and Broncos could replace either Wildcard team and the Steelers could definitely be AFC West champs. I just mainly went with my gut on these (like anyone else doesn't).

Either way, the Panthers are a lock to win the Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Steelers probably have no shot at being AFC West Champs. :)

[quote name='shipwreck']I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Steelers probably have no shot at being AFC West Champs. :)[/quote]

Wrong. They're so good that they can start winning other divisions, as well, even without winning their own.

[quote name='seanr1221']E-a-g-l-e-s Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
is that really a cheer? Like the j-e-t-s jets jets jets?

[quote name='2Fast']Pre-season Predictions:

NFC Central: Chicago

AFC Central: Cincinnati

I think my division predictions are fairly safe, however, the Wildcards could really go either way. In the NFC the Bucs and Giants could replace either Wildcard team IMO. In the AFC the Steelers and Broncos could replace either Wildcard team and the Steelers could definitely be AFC West champs. I just mainly went with my gut on these (like anyone else doesn't).

Either way, the Panthers are a lock to win the Super Bowl.[/quote]

Being a Bucs fan, I'd love to say the Bucs have the best chance to win it all, but then I have to come back to the real world and see that they have a few more years before they can really start thinking about being World Champs again.

Here's how I see things shaking down this year, based solely on last year and some of the buzz made in the off season:

AFC North: Might be the toughest to gauge, with the Steelers, the Bengals and the improved Ravens and Browns. Though I still see it coming down to the Bengals and Steelers, I see the Bengals pulling it out again.

AFC East: New England, if they get their act together and get Branch under control. If not I see the Dolphins stepping up and taking the division.

AFC West: I really see the improved Chiefs taking this division hands down. I think had they gone with LJ earlier last year, that they may have made the playoffs and atleast a dent in them as well. Not to mention, LJ would've been MVP, not Alexander.

AFC South: I mean honestly, losing Edge was huge, but no one other than Houston really brought anyone in, and the Titans, well they let McNair go. So the Colts should rain supreme again here. Sad to say it.

AFC Wildcards: Steelers and Ravens. I'd throw the Jaguars in there, but unless Jones gets to step in the the RB position right away, and they find a decent #2 WR, they are going to be on the outside looking. Look for the Broncsos to be close too. But I honestly think the Ravens have the spark they needed to get back to the playoffs.

AFC Seeds:

#1- Colts...ughh
#2- Chiefs
#3- Bengals
#4- Patriots
#5- Steelers
#6- Ravens (so I went on a limb)

NFC North: Honestly, this division may very well be the worst in the league with the winner possibly being just over .500. I think the Vikings did the most to better their team. I see them barely squeaking the division out over the Bears.

NFC East: Just as hard as the AFC East, the NFC counterpart has 3 teams that could make a run for the division, with the Eagles still a year away from returning to form. I think the Redskins could make the leap over the other 2 to win it. The Cowboys might implode midseason, and I still think Eli is a year away from coming into his own.

NFC West: Seahawks should have this hands down, unless the Cardinals can put it together with their young offensive weapons. If its close at the end of the year, I see the Cardinals scrapping it out, but I doubt this one will be close this year.

NFC South: I will say I like the Bucs chances, but that all depends how well they match up against the Panthers. They've always played them close, and I don't see that going away this year. I think the division comes down to one of these teams sweeping agaist the other. But I think Bucs will win it. (heres my fanboy pick)

NFC Wildcards: Panthers and Cowboys(or Giants if the Cowboy implode)

NFC Seeds:
#1- Seahawks
#2- Redskins
#3- Bucs
#4- Vikings
#5- Panthers
#6- Cowboys/Giants

AFC 1st round:

Bengals vs Ravens - Bengals
Steelers vs Patriots - Patriots

NFC 1st round:

Bucs vs Cowboys - Bucs
Vikings vs Panthers - Panthers

AFC 2nd round:
Colts vs Patriots - Colts
Chiefs vs Bengals - Chiefs

NFC 2nd round -
Seahawks vs Panthers - Panthers
Redskins vs Bucs - Bucs

AFC Finals:
Colts vs Chiefs - Chiefs

NFC Finals:
Bucs vs Panthers - Panthers (hate to say it, but I think they get revenge for not winning the South)

Superbowl:

Chiefs vs Panthers - Chiefs in a rout.

Those are my picks, and oh well if none of them come true.

[quote name='DT778']is that really a cheer? Like the j-e-t-s jets jets jets?[/QUOTE]

Yup. A couple years ago you couldn't take two steps in Philly without hearing someone yelling that.

[quote name='craven_fiend']The Steelers are in the AFC East.[/quote]

AFC North ;)

I can't keep up with them either, I kept thinking the Central division still existed.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Superbowl:

Chiefs vs Panthers - Chiefs in a rout.

Those are my picks, and oh well if none of them come true.[/quote]

I'm a Bucs fan too and could see them going all the way if they had a veteran QB (even though I like Simms). I pretty much agree with your predictions, although I see the Panthers over-coming the Chiefs in the big game.

[quote name='2Fast']AFC North ;)

I can't keep up with them either, I kept thinking the Central division still existed.[/quote]

Damnit, I did that when I was making my predictions, but I fixed it, stupid mind of mine.

And as for the Bucs, as long as they've got a solid D and Cadillac there, I think they could be in the thick of the NFC race.

And the Vikings pick, well I really could careless about the NFC North, as most likely, the winner will be one and done in the playoffs.

well here are mine
NFC East- NY Giants
NFC South- Carolina Panthers
NFC Central- Chicago Bears
NFC West- Seattle Seahawks
NFC Wild Cards- Arizona and Dallas
NFC Champs Carolina Panthers

AFC East- New England Patriots
AFC South- Indianapolis Colts
AFC Central- Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC West- Denver Broncos
AFC Wild Card- Kansas City, Cinncinati Bengals
AFC Champs- New England Patriots

Explanation: I chose the rematch because i think the Pats will resign Branch before the start of the season and that the pats have always been a team to plug players in. they can plug almost anyone in and still make their system work. also having Dillon,maroney, and faulk is a good change of pace. they still have seymour,brusci, and harrison still so they still havent lost that much. as for carolina...what can you say...they have the best equipped team in football.two deadly recievers, and running attack, and a clutch qb...and not to mention a fully healthy defense with kris jenkins hoping to stay healthy this year.

SAN DEEEYAAAYYGO!! SUPER CHARGERS!!:D Man I can't wait for this season. Finally get to see Phillip Rivers in action. Hopefully he won't pull a "Ryan Leaf." Well if all else fails, they can always let Tomlinson throw the ball.:cool:

Well, glad to see Detroit won...but it is pre-season. Sounds like Casey Fitzsimmons will be done for 4-6 weeks at least with a wrist injury. He actually took over the #1 job over Pollard.

OF course, there still is a MESS with the WR's in Detroit. It almost sounds like C-Rog and BMW (Big Mike Williams) are on their way out. I feel like maybe they should give each of them one more shot. I mean, Corey Bradford, Mike Furrey are average....but MARTZ LOVES his former players (Arlen Harris, Furrey). They also say Glen Martinez and Shaun Bodiford are competing. Plus, Eddie Drummond is locked in the team.

So, we have: Roy, Bradford, Furrey, Eddie locked in (with 2 more spots open). Scottie Vines is out too...as he is injured right now. He was the BEST receiver last year too...him and Roy.

[quote name='2Fast']Looks like Portis seperated his shoulder. Might be time to re-think my preseason prediction about the 'Skins.[/quote]

Man, that play bummed me out.

[quote name='savestheday888']Yes.[/QUOTE]

Marenelli is pissing me off...the Lions organization is pissing me off. Usually there is optimism in Detroit before every season, but I just feel off this year. Millen is trying to wipe his slate clean by not letting C-Rog and BMW play in pre-season. I mean, 1 pass thrown towarsd C-Rog for a 7 yd screen pass. Mike made a good catch, but that was it. It's like they want them fail. Millen just needs to leave. Maybe they'll surprise me. Sims and Bullocks looked good on defense at least. That was nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back