Official NBA 2006-2007 Season Thread

themoor666

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Well since the season starts Tuesday night I figured I'd start this thread up...Kobe's probably playing Tuesday, the Lakers are gonna get revenge on the hated Suns!!! Also it'll be interesting to see what Chicago does against Miami, although I think Miami will win that game (but no way in hell they will repeat). This season is gonna be awesome.

National TV opening week games:

Tuesday, Oct. 31
Chicago at Miami, 8 p.m. (TNT)
Phoenix at L.A. Lakers, 10:30 p.m. (TNT)

Wednesday, Nov. 1
Washington at Cleveland, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
L.A. Clippers at Phoenix, 10:30 p.m. (ESPN)

Thursday, Nov. 2
San Antonio at Dallas, 8 p.m. (TNT)
Denver at L.A. Clippers, 10:30 p.m. (TNT)

Friday, Nov. 3
Cleveland at San Antonio, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
Seattle at L.A. Lakers, 10:30 p.m. (ESPN)

EDIT: Don't forget League Pass is free from Oct. 31- Nov 7!!!

Hell yeah, and btw the Bulls will win Tuesday, revenge is a bitch.

Makes it even sweeter is the fact that the Bulls are going to beat them on the night the Heat get their rings.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Free league pass?
Do I already need to have a subscription to it or can i just watch it? I do have Direct TV.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's a free preview for anyone who was direct TV, dish, or digital cable.

I was wondering when the season began. I really haven't kept up with the off season. Maybe I can get some decent warriors tickets since I'll be flying into SF on Monday night...

[quote name='Renegade_Zero']I'm predicting Suns be #1 in the west and Heat #1 in the east.[/QUOTE]

Did the heat lose G.P. and Zo to retirement?

The Southwest division is arguably the toughest in the NBA.

It includes:
The Spurs, Rockets, Mavericks, Grizzlies, and Hornets... anyone think all of these teams will make it into the playoffs and, could there be a harder division?

The Pacific and Centrtal should be tough too.

It'll be tough to get all those Southwest teams in. Western Conference has a lot of tough teams.

[quote name='MadChedar0']I don't see the Rockets nor Hornets making it in though.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't think T-Mac will win a championship in Houston, ever. That team just doesn't gel. They play o.k. but it seems almost forced.

[quote name='daphatty']Agreed. I don't think T-Mac will win a championship in Houston, ever. That team just doesn't gel. They play o.k. but it seems almost forced.[/QUOTE]

well its the van gundy system. its slow paced and really defensive. it doesnt fit tmac's playing style even though he blows up everynight.i think a more diciplined ron artest like player would fit his system well.

[quote name='daphatty']Agreed. I don't think T-Mac will win a championship in Houston, ever. That team just doesn't gel. They play o.k. but it seems almost forced.[/QUOTE]

They added Bonzi Wells and if everyone can stay healthy they should be competitive. Two years ago they took the Mavs to seven and showed how well they can play when they are healthy.

With the additions Dallas made and the way last year ended is the team to beat IMO if they keep Dirk in the paint and don't start jacking up three's (the main reason they lost aganist the heat is they starting playing run and gun).

[quote name='integralsmatic']well its the van gundy system. its slow paced and really defensive. it doesnt fit tmac's playing style even though he blows up everynight.i think a more diciplined ron artest like player would fit his system well.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if T-mac and A.I. together could bring home a ring...

Go Wolves! Went to the Preseason game in Omaha a couple of weeks ago, got me pumped!

Bobo2k4, with DTV just turn to 751 and up, those are the NBA channels.

They also added Shane Battier, who is a hustler and a good shooter, last year's team was never healthy, but they also didn't have really anyone but T-Mac and Yao, now they have a couple other good role/position players and I think they'll make it to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs this year

go bobcats...should increase their record to 35 wins this season...maybe not playoffs this season, but maybe next season or in 2 seasons :)

just hope G-wall, okafor, may, etc. stay healthy...let's see if morrison can score enough for the cats too...they needed a scorer and they got one.

[quote name='daphatty']I wonder if T-mac and A.I. together could bring home a ring...[/QUOTE]
on paper that is a horrid combo. its hard enough to stop ai but to now have a legit outside threat as in T-Mac...that would be ultra insane and now with AI learning the pt, AI's assists per game would sky rocket. or even better you could have Gilbert Arenas and T-Mac together. that would come down to who the hell could you stop?

It was posted in the Free Stuff Thread, about this steaming cable which includes NBA TV.

http://www.viidoo.com/en/index.php

I'm really hoping the rockets improve upon the injury plagued last season. Bonzi was freaking scary against the Spurs in the playoffs with 20 pts 10 reb avg from a shooting guard. Plus the additions of Battier and the 2nd half play of Skip To My Lou should get a bunch of open looks with everyone doubling T-mac and Yao.

As Dwight Howard has claimed during the offseason this is the Magic's year to get to the Finals!! While I'm not expecting that, the Magic will definitely be in the playoffs and should continue to get better with Howard, Nelson and Darko (yes, I said Darko!). Hopefully Reddick can knock down those open jump shots he'll be getting off of Howard double teams and Grant Hill can contribute something. Darko had a nice offseason for his international team and should play a nice third or fourth option for this Magic team. Next year is the year to watch out for Orlando, with Hill's contract coming off the books and massive amounts of salary cap room. Hopefully, Vince Carter will decide to return home to Orlando. But they'll be a playoff team if they can stay healthy and play like they did after last year's All-Star break.

I'm still missing T-Mac and I wonder if he wishes he would've stayed in Orlando now that he see's how good the man-child Dwight Howard is (and the discrepancy between great and average teams in the East). T-Mac certainly would've gotten out of the second round in the east with this team at some point, and I don't know if he ever will in the West, especially with teams as good as the Spurs and Mavs in the Rocket's own division.

[quote name='alucard8319']Hedo Turkoglu is not too bad either if Hill goes down , from a fantasy perspective his %'s are good too.[/quote]

He really is a nice player and fits with the team nicely because he can create his own shot. I was glad he re-signed with Orlando for just as you said, someone that can play so they don't have to worry about needing Grant Hill at any point in the season. They have a lot of options offensively, hopefully the can play enough defense on the perimeter, because you know Howard and Darko are going to block and outrebound most of the front lines in the East.

I wonder how much Ty. Thomas will actually play this season with the bulls current roster. I read on yahoo that PJ Brown and Deng will start with Nocioni coming off the bench.

[quote name='alucard8319']I wonder how much Ty. Thomas will actually play this season with the bulls current roster. I read on yahoo that PJ Brown and Deng will start with Nocioni coming off the bench.[/quote]
They've got a great rotation off the bench already, 2 to 3 good rebounders, 2 to 3 scorers, although they really only have 1 PG, Duhon might be coming up... that's a dangerous team, they played the Grizz in preseason and started the game with a halfcourt alley from Hinrich to Deng

When did the NBA switch over to adidas for their gear? I thought they had switched to Reebok for a multi-year deal, but now I'm seeing the teams in adidas warmups and the refs in three stripes as well.

Keep on with the progression Dwight Howard! And stay healthy Grant Hill!

I didn't even realize they drafted J.J. Redick and traded for Darko; should be an interesting year for the Magic.

(I haven't been paying much attention to b-ball the past few years)

I'm a Raptors fan.

Yeah, that's right. I hope we make the playoffs this year, and I think it's more then likely.

[quote name='2Fast']Keep on with the progression Dwight Howard! And stay healthy Grant Hill!

I didn't even realize they drafted J.J. Redick and traded for Darko; should be an interesting year for the Magic.

(I haven't been paying much attention to b-ball the past few years)[/quote]

That's the team I use online with NBA 2K7. Dwight Howard will be incredible if they start giving him the ball more. He's already a rebounding and shot blocking machine.

[quote name='Tyga24']I'm still missing T-Mac and I wonder if he wishes he would've stayed in Orlando now that he see's how good the man-child Dwight Howard is (and the discrepancy between great and average teams in the East). T-Mac certainly would've gotten out of the second round in the east with this team at some point, and I don't know if he ever will in the West, especially with teams as good as the Spurs and Mavs in the Rocket's own division.[/quote]

I miss T-Mac too (and Shaq). It's too bad I have to dislike them now.

[quote name='Tyga24']He really is a nice player and fits with the team nicely because he can create his own shot. I was glad he re-signed with Orlando for just as you said, someone that can play so they don't have to worry about needing Grant Hill at any point in the season. They have a lot of options offensively, hopefully the can play enough defense on the perimeter, because you know Howard and Darko are going to block and outrebound most of the front lines in the East.[/QUOTE]

i dont think howard and darko are all that good. cmon lets get real. first howard is playing center and tony battie is starting PF. on top of that Howard avergas 15pts a game 12 rebounds, and a block. tell me what makes him so great compared to gets like Jermaine O'neal, Theo Ratliff,Samuel Dalembert,Nenad Kristic. I know he is a young gun but cmon he is no better than those guys. so he can rebound and score minminally. who cant in the NBA especially in his position. i mean jermaine o'neal averages 20 pts, 8 rbs, and 2 blocks per game. he is great but not that great yet. here are all the combos for C,PF in the league. The Magic still have a way to go to do anything against these guys in the east. im not hating on the magic but i just dont know why everyone is up on Howard as he is like the best PF/C in the east .
ATL - Lorenzen Wright, Josh Smith
BOS- Theo Ratliff, Al Jefferson
CHI- Ben Wallace, PJ Brown
CLE- Zydrunas Illgauskas, Drew Gooden
CHA- Pavel Brezec, Emeka Okafor
DET- Nazr Mohammad, Rasheed Wallace
IND- Jermaine O'Neal, Al Harrington
MIA- Shaquille O'Neal, Udonis Haslem
MIL-Andrew Bogut, Charlie Villanueva
NJ- Nenad Kristic, Jason Collins
NY-Eddy Curry, Channing Frye
ORL- Dwight Howard, Tony Battie
PHI- Samuel Dalembert, Chris Webber
TOR- Rasho Nesterovic, Chris Bosh
WAS- Brendan Haywood, Antwan Jamison

Howard has so much more potential (because of his youth) than any one on that list this season. Only knock is his poor FT%, but he is a board machine that really worked on his offense this summer.
-The kid is only 21
-Never missed a game in 2 seasons
-Is either focal point of the offense if not the 2nd option
-Gained 30lbs this summer, upto 270

[quote name='ph33r m3']The Warriors are the "it" pick by ESPN, oh no...this can't be good...it's like...no...[/QUOTE]

Golden State has been the "it" pick for a couple of years now.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to another (and perhaps last) season of following the Sonics as they struggle (and likely fail) to win half their games. Playoffs? No chance in hell.

[quote name='alucard8319']Howard has so much more potential (because of his youth) than any one on that list this season. Only knock is his poor FT%, but he is a board machine that really worked on his offense this summer.
-The kid is only 21
-Never missed a game in 2 seasons
-Is either focal point of the offense if not the 2nd option
-Gained 30lbs this summer, upto 270[/QUOTE]

mmmm those pts you made are good points. i have nothing to argue about that. boy to think of it..its really hard to argue about the magic. i can see on paper how they can really surprise the east and even the league this year. maybe i was too hard on him. if he becomes the KG type player he was meant to be than the magic have nothing to worry about for long time. i guess i wasnt convinced because of the combo pair with Tony Battie. i almost forgot they had jameer nelson who is gonna be a bonafide star on that team soon. dam shot myself in that foot. =(

Now (disclaimer) I'm not a huge NBA fan. I'll watch the games, but I won't go out of my way to catch a game (I have to be looking for something to watch to see it, I won't run to the store early so I can catch the game).

That being said, something strikes me about this thead. Maybe it's everyone being optimistic about their teams, but there seems to be too many solid teams this year. So, either it's going to be a mess with no team dominating, or some teams are going to disappoint.

That, and no one has yet to mention the Pistons really. Yes, they lost Ben Wallace (huge loss), and their team is getting older. That being said, this is a team that can take a step back and still be a scary team to play. If some of the younger guys (like Maxille) can eat up some minutes this year, this could be a good team.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i dont think howard and darko are all that good. cmon lets get real. first howard is playing center and tony battie is starting PF. on top of that Howard avergas 15pts a game 12 rebounds, and a block. tell me what makes him so great compared to gets like Jermaine O'neal, Theo Ratliff,Samuel Dalembert,Nenad Kristic. I know he is a young gun but cmon he is no better than those guys. so he can rebound and score minminally. who cant in the NBA especially in his position. i mean jermaine o'neal averages 20 pts, 8 rbs, and 2 blocks per game. he is great but not that great yet. here are all the combos for C,PF in the league. The Magic still have a way to go to do anything against these guys in the east. im not hating on the magic but i just dont know why everyone is up on Howard as he is like the best PF/C in the east .
ATL - Lorenzen Wright, Josh Smith
BOS- Theo Ratliff, Al Jefferson
CHI- Ben Wallace, PJ Brown
CLE- Zydrunas Illgauskas, Drew Gooden
CHA- Pavel Brezec, Emeka Okafor
DET- Nazr Mohammad, Rasheed Wallace
IND- Jermaine O'Neal, Al Harrington
MIA- Shaquille O'Neal, Udonis Haslem
MIL-Andrew Bogut, Charlie Villanueva
NJ- Nenad Kristic, Jason Collins
NY-Eddy Curry, Channing Frye
ORL- Dwight Howard, Tony Battie
PHI- Samuel Dalembert, Chris Webber
TOR- Rasho Nesterovic, Chris Bosh
WAS- Brendan Haywood, Antwan Jamison[/quote]

Nice lisitng of the projected East C/PF combos, but I would only put a few teams ahead of Orlando, most nights they will dominate inside against those guys. Why the hating on Dwight? He's been the most productive high school player in his first two years than anyone. And you do realize that Dwight is only 20 and Darko only 21 right? They haven't even scratched the surface of thier potential. Jermaine O'Neal is a nice player, but how many years has he been in the league, and he languished in Portland for a LONG time until he showed his potential (plus, he's injured quite a bit). Tony Battie isn't going to play as many minutes as Darko is during the season, they are just going to work Darko in, until he takes over the starting C position. The reason the Magic are projected to be sleepers in the East by it seems every "expert" is because they have a solid TEAM and the East isn't the strongest of conferences. If Grant Hill can contribute at all it only adds to the depth. Hedo is a nice scorer who can create his own shot and mismatches at SF, we all know Reddick is going to get some open shots which he can hit, and if Nelson continues to improve his shot it will help. One injury here or there on any East team will drop that team out of contention. Here's an nice article to maybe convince you a little more that Dwight/Darko are actually GOOD :D:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AssAhHaE0qkahhohMv7l5G.H0bYF?slug=southeastdivisionftr&prov=st&type=lgns

[quote name='lordxixor101']Now (disclaimer) I'm not a huge NBA fan. I'll watch the games, but I won't go out of my way to catch a game (I have to be looking for something to watch to see it, I won't run to the store early so I can catch the game).

That being said, something strikes me about this thead. Maybe it's everyone being optimistic about their teams, but there seems to be too many solid teams this year. So, either it's going to be a mess with no team dominating, or some teams are going to disappoint.

That, and no one has yet to mention the Pistons really. Yes, they lost Ben Wallace (huge loss), and their team is getting older. That being said, this is a team that can take a step back and still be a scary team to play. If some of the younger guys (like Maxille) can eat up some minutes this year, this could be a good team.[/QUOTE]

The Pistons are definately still contenders. Yes there seem to be a lot of good teams this year, but within the first few weeks we should get a good idea of who is actually legit. So who do you guys think has the best shot of landing the services of Jalen Rose? Supposedly he has said before that he'd play for the Lakers for free so maybe he'll come for the vets min.

Starting to see the differences of the new ball, it's boucing off the rim a lot more giving D-Wade his shot.

bread's done
Back