Official NHL 10 CAG Team REBOOT - CheapyD All Stars - Hockey Night Fridays @ 8-12 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Flyersfan']Honestly, if I remember right last year didn't start of well at all either. There was a big break before we had new people take the team over and regroup.[/QUOTE]

Somewhat true, the original team was sort of a clusterfuck and the league shit the bed, then we got 12 or so mainstays and it was great. Plus we got a league done (rare these days) and could have had another done if not it was 9 months after the game came out and people started trading it in.

hopefully it happens again. I'm all for it. I will say, Fridays have been tougher for me, but any set night would be.

Yeah, last year started out pretty terrible, but from about a week before Thanksgiving until mid May, we had anywhere from 4-12 guys every single week. I think the general consensus is that this year's game is more of the same from last year...which in theory, sounds like a great thing.

But considering that also includes the same glitches (curve shot), tactics (cross crease only teams), frustrating AI play (players putting it in their own net, goalies who don't react, etc), and general asshole behavior online (people constantly pausing, dropping games, etc.), I think it wore on everyone's nerves from the very first week.

I just don't see the same desire to play the game this year. Many of our "core group" have moved on to other games. And even the ones who still have the game don't seem to have enough of a desire to show up. It is what it is. Maybe there will be a small bump after Christmas with new people acquiring the game, but most people who waited 3 months to get the game aren't going to care to be there every Friday night.

Of course, some people are busy on Friday nights, which I why I raised the possibility of moving it to another night. And I got responses of "any night is ok". I don't want to call anybody out or name any names, but people gotta realize, you either want to play or you don't. And this "I'm fine with whatever" attitude is bullshit. No day is going to be perfect for anybody, but picking the best day possible would help. Without a set day, all you're going to get is "nobody is ever on when I'm on".

The only reason we were successful last year is because, in addition to actually having people who WANTED to play, we got organized and set concrete days and times to play. That's why I'd say, if people can't make it Fridays, we NEED to pick a different day. It's either that or don't play at all. But half assing it isn't going to do us any good. As always, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, last year started out pretty terrible, but from about a week before Thanksgiving until mid May, we had anywhere from 4-12 guys every single week. I think the general consensus is that this year's game is more of the same from last year...which in theory, sounds like a great thing.

But considering that also includes the same glitches (curve shot), tactics (cross crease only teams), frustrating AI play (players putting it in their own net, goalies who don't react, etc), and general asshole behavior online (people constantly pausing, dropping games, etc.), I think it wore on everyone's nerves from the very first week.

I just don't see the same desire to play the game this year. Many of our "core group" have moved on to other games. And even the ones who still have the game don't seem to have enough of a desire to show up. It is what it is. Maybe there will be a small bump after Christmas with new people acquiring the game, but most people who waited 3 months to get the game aren't going to care to be there every Friday night.

Of course, some people are busy on Friday nights, which I why I raised the possibility of moving it to another night. And I got responses of "any night is ok". I don't want to call anybody out or name any names, but people gotta realize, you either want to play or you don't. And this "I'm fine with whatever" attitude is bullshit. No day is going to be perfect for anybody, but picking the best day possible would help. Without a set day, all you're going to get is "nobody is ever on when I'm on".

The only reason we were successful last year is because, in addition to actually having people who WANTED to play, we got organized and set concrete days and times to play. That's why I'd say, if people can't make it Fridays, we NEED to pick a different day. It's either that or don't play at all. But half assing it isn't going to do us any good. As always, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas.[/QUOTE]

This is why I don't want to play anymore

Well, if OTP isn't happening, would anybody care to give a league another shot? I wasn't really into versus play at all this year or last year, but now it's basically all I've got left with this game. I'd be cool with organizing it and hounding people to make sure they play their games. It's not a big deal if no one wants to. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, if OTP isn't happening, would anybody care to give a league another shot? I wasn't really into versus play at all this year or last year, but now it's basically all I've got left with this game. I'd be cool with organizing it and hounding people to make sure they play their games. It's not a big deal if no one wants to. Just thought I'd throw it out there.[/QUOTE]

I'm up for it

All right, well since we've got 5 who are interested, I guess I'll create a thread for it. I've been using the Sharks a lot lately, and have really grown fond of their play style, so they'd be my choice as long as no one objects.

I'm not very good (just got NHL 10 over the holidays) but I might be interested in playing. Feel free to add me to your friends list if you just want to play a game sometime - karatechop16 is my gamertag. :)

[quote name='karatechop16']I'm not very good (just got NHL 10 over the holidays) but I might be interested in playing. Feel free to add me to your friends list if you just want to play a game sometime - karatechop16 is my gamertag. :)[/QUOTE]

I'll add you to the team tonight if you're still looking to play. Our old standard play time has been Fridays from 8 PM EST to 12 AM EST. This year's game doesn't seem to be near as popular though, and we've been having a lot of trouble getting a consistent group together to play. Having said that...

Hockey tonight? Who's available? The only opponent I have left for league is fart_bubble (who has lost his game, I guess). I'd love to play some OTP though. Anybody up for it?

I would be willing to give it a go, not good by any means though. If it still matters, I normally like to play as a winger (I dont normally play defence, but I might have to get used to it.) I might be able to put a little time in tonight, can't make a guarentee though.

Private matches for OTP? I think that's the only way we could do it in our current state. I'd be interested in playing. I'm in a hockey mindset after sitting in a luxury suite last night at Staples for the Kings/Wings game. ;)

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I think if it goes back down in price, I might Re pick it up just to play with you guys, I miss the chats we had. Such awesomeness!![/QUOTE]

You know we miss you Gary. If you come back, I'll show you a picture of DrP1zza's dad that I found, haha. :)

And on that heart-warming note, I'm going to go take a dump, and then I'll be on to play some hockey! fuckin A! lol

EDIT - All right...doesn't seem like anybody is on. Matt, you around? karatechop? Magicking? Either of you guys available? Feel free to add me to your friends list if you see this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magicking and I are playing. I had to create a new team since I left the old one to get the medal achievement and no one is on to invite me back... At this point, I don't care about teams, but for anyone curious, I named it the "CheapyD All Stars". Our uniforms are also very familiar. We'd love for more people to join us.

Nate, I just woke up after falling asleep watching Saved By the Bell: The College Years this afternoon. I can't leave the LetsGoKings team that I just joined, though. I thought you were doing private matches.

[quote name='Matt Young']Nate, I just woke up after falling asleep watching Saved By the Bell: The College Years this afternoon. I can't leave the LetsGoKings team that I just joined, though. I thought you were doing private matches.[/QUOTE]

Private with who? 2 people? lol

Well, Magicking and I played 3 games. We trailed the first 1-0 until :22 left to go when we knotted it up on a rebound in front of the net. That rebound came back to bite us though, as we ended up losing late in overtime the same way. We outshot the other team like 33-20 though. Our final two games saw us on the winning side, with scores of 2-1 and 1-0, with each of us scoring the game winning goal in both games.

Cravin, I saw you signing on and off a couple times, so I wasn't sure if you were wanting to play or not. I also saw Ammowasted online, but it looked like he was playing versus games. I've got a few things to do right now, but I'll probably be back on in an hour or so if anybody is still up. Feeling good about this new team. Fresh starts are nice.

Played a few more games with CravinTacoBell and ChunkyBasty. Cravin and I ran into a "What is Hockey Without Curve Shots and Cross Creases?" team right off the bat. After they took a 3-0 lead on pure bullshit (granted the last goal was a rebound at least), we quit. I just hate that you have to take a loss for crap like that. But I guess it's better than wasting 30 minutes and getting blown out 12-0 by a couple of jerkoffs who will never touch a breast nor get out of their mother's basement.

Our next game, we were matched up with a team that didn't really seem to know what they were doing. They kept getting penalties and we took a 2-0 lead and coasted the rest of the game. Chunky joined us for a 3rd game, and we jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead thanks to a 5 on 3 power play. Our opponents came back to take a 2-1 lead, and then suddenly my game started lagging and I got dropped (although not from Live). I was on wireless tonight though, so maybe there were some hiccups or something.

Anyway, it was nice to play some team games again, and I'd really like to keep this going next week...hopefully with even more people. We just gotta get back into our rhythm and get a consistent group going. Our current record stands at 3-2-1.

Does this mean I'm the key to win? :D I'm going to be able to play from around 10AM - 6PM EST if you guys want to jump on for a few more games.

[quote name='Magicking610']Does this mean I'm the key to win? :D I'm going to be able to play from around 10AM - 6PM EST if you guys want to jump on for a few more games.[/QUOTE]

I should be able to jump on in about 30 minutes if you're available. Meet me at 1:15 PM EST? Anybody else who sees this is more than welcome to join. I made the club public for now, so no invite is even needed. Just search for CheapyD All Stars.

Have they patched anything yet at all since I left? Or is it just the SOSDD (google it :p) day stuff? Hopefully it drops in price a little more. Than Hockey nights will be back on!!

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Have they patched anything yet at all since I left? Or is it just the SOSDD (google it :p) day stuff? Hopefully it drops in price a little more. Than Hockey nights will be back on!![/QUOTE]

No. Curve shot is still there. At first I thought it was a little less effective because the first team we came across doing it wasn't having much success, but I think they just weren't very "good at it". But then the next team put 3 goals neatly over the goalies shoulder on 5 shots. So, we just quit, and I send them a message of something like "Would you $$$s have any idea how to play if you couldn't do curve shots and cross crease?"

I haven't been talking during our OTP games because I've got a bad cold right now, and I didn't figure anyone would want to hear me hacking into the mic...but for the cheaters, I've been sending voice messages. It's easy for people to talk shit when they're just typing words. But I figure maybe if some of the 12 year olds pulling this crap hear a grown man's voice calling them out, it'll have a little more impact. I haven't gotten a response to a voice message yet.

Some people online are just retards. Our last game was against a curve shot only team. Their 2nd goal came on a penalty kill when they just tried to clear the puck out of their zone. It bounced off the boards, went behind our goalie, who couldn't cover it up, and then was knocked into our own net by our AI defenseman. It was one of the most ridiculous goals and strokes of luck I've ever seen. After that goal, with a 2-0 lead, what does the team do? Continue shooting curve shots. So, we quit.

At this point in the game's life (and sadly, dating back to last year), curve shots are what they are. They're part of the game and you just have to deal with it. The bottom line is, it's a shot that has an extremely heightened success rate, and because of that some teams will ignore any actual hockey strategy and ONLY shoot those shots (Magic and I played 4 games this afternoon, and 2 of the 4 were against teams who shot only curve shots).

So, when it happens and they go up 3-0, just quit and try again at finding a legit team. It really sucks taking a loss for quitting, but it's better than wasting 45 minutes and being beaten 12-2. On the flip side of those shitty games, you also get really fun ones. We had one game that we won 3-0, with Magic scoring our first 2 goals, and me getting the final goal. There is fun to be had. You just gotta wade through the bullshit to find it.

Yeah, that last game was a lot of fun. If anyone wants to play now, I'm sitting at the main menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Magicking610']I'm just about ready to go, I'm looking like I'm going to be open all night.

By the way, my player's name is Brad Woodward.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's right. Sorry, I couldn't remember.

Anyway, I'm hopping on now. Whether we're able to do private matches all depends on the turnout.

Hey Matt, we've got 4 guys currently, and have taken some beatings so we're gonna play some private matches. If you're around, hop on and join us.

Damn. I need to get back into this. Although I have class on Friday night, I should be able to get in a few games afterwards.

Still same number and position, but I decided to rename myself Shaun Uno Seis.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hey Matt, we've got 4 guys currently, and have taken some beatings so we're gonna play some private matches. If you're around, hop on and join us.[/QUOTE]

My friend Jeremy ended up showing up unexpectedly, so I was unable to get on. He'd been saying he'd be coming over for like a week straight, but of course when he actually did show up, it was hockey time.

[quote name='Matt Young']My friend Jeremy ended up showing up unexpectedly, so I was unable to get on. He'd been saying he'd be coming over for like a week straight, but of course when he actually did show up, it was hockey time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, I figured you were high and couldn't find your hands.

[quote name='Matt Young']Hahaha... just because I was smoking the last time I talked to you, now you portray me as some sort of druggie. :p[/QUOTE]

Not really. Stoners are just relatively easy to pick on. You won't remember this in a week anyway. See? :)

[quote name='Magicking610']If you guys want to play a few games, I don't have anything to do right now.[/QUOTE]

Can't right now. Got some stuff to do.

Nathaniel-san, I have an excellent memory. Much unlike my penis, my memory is elephant-like.

Magicking, I can play a league game (or 2) in about an hour if you'll still be around. That'll be about noon Pacific time, giving me an hour or so to play before the Kings game starts.

Magic, I sent you a PM on here about the league in case you haven't gotten into it yet. I can't get to my 360 right now, but all the info you need is in the PM.

Good bump, Magic. I was just going to ask this same thing myself. I'll be on at 8 PM EST, so hopefully others will show up as well. I just feel like consistency is the key to getting people back into this game. Come out and play some CAG Hockey, guys!

Yeah, I saw the topic slowly moving to the abyss. I might be on a bit late, but I am going to get some games in tonight (hopefully my connection will be better than the league game I played). It would be truly nice if we could play at least one game with all 6 players being controlled by fellow CAG members(or at the very least, to win a game this week).

It does seem like we have gotten a few people back into NHL 10 with the reboot. Here's to a strong team and a continued growth of CAG hockey!

I finally decided to pick this up and try to get though the be a GM and I stumbled on this. LMAO! EA, ur so funny...

dscn0579.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back