Official. No Backwards compatibility PS3 software update. =(

Considering the patents Sony has on emulating the PS2 on the PS3, I'm pretty sure we're going to see PS2 games pop up on PSN soon enough. Thing is...will Sony price PS2 games reasonably?

I will add to the wah-wahing, troll. Yes there are alternatives, but it's like saving up all your money for a particular car, and then when you finally have enough you find out they removed windshield wiper compatibility to cut costs. Can you drive? Sure you can! Just not in the rain! Well funk dat.

[quote name='SynGamer']Considering the patents Sony has on emulating the PS2 on the PS3, I'm pretty sure we're going to see PS2 games pop up on PSN soon enough. Thing is...will Sony price PS2 games reasonably?[/QUOTE]

I predict more overpricing on PSN, like they want $15 for some downloadable titles right now on there, it's ridiculous.

I guess I must be too 'old school' to wanna pay more than $5($10 MAX) for any game I don't have some legal right to resell should I get tired of it.

If gaming ever comes to the point where games are ONLY available via digital download, that is the moment I quit gaming and stick to the systems that don't require it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] If gaming ever comes to the point where games are ONLY available via digital download, that is the moment I quit gaming and stick to the systems that don't require it.[/QUOTE] Backed %100!

[quote name='yesiamaplant']I will add to the wah-wahing, troll. Yes there are alternatives, but it's like saving up all your money for a particular car, and then when you finally have enough you find out they removed windshield wiper compatibility to cut costs. Can you drive? Sure you can! Just not in the rain! Well funk dat.[/QUOTE]

or you could save up more money and get a car with winshield wipers. or try and get a deal on a used car with windshield wipers. unless youre totally new to gaming youve knwn , as do all of us, that bc has been out of the equation for years now so why the hell is everyone so surprised by it?

[quote name='SynGamer']Considering the patents Sony has on emulating the PS2 on the PS3, I'm pretty sure we're going to see PS2 games pop up on PSN soon enough. Thing is...will Sony price PS2 games reasonably?[/QUOTE]

I think the PS2 Emulation patetnts are for 2 reasons.

#1. PS2 PC Emulation is getting near perfect and better on a daily basis, Sony wants legal right to say we own PS2 Emulation period. So they can sue in court.

#2. PS2 Emulation, will most likely be held off for the PSP2. So you can download a game from PSN or your PS3 with the
PSP2, then take it on the go.

#3. Full Wide Range BC support will never come back, they never say on a Per game Basis was out of the question.

#4. This is why I hate video game journalism no follow up questions, nothing he could have asked about the patenets etc.

SONY right now makes too Much money selling

PS2 consoles, and games for the PS2, why would they give PS3 owners a Free PS2?

Its NOT that they can't or cost reasons stop them, It is simply a Choice SONY decided no PS2 on PS3.

I'm not really craving for BC anymore. It's been a long time since I wanted to play a bunch of PS2 games, and really there is only a few I'd like to play at this point. I will say one of the worst gaming decisions I've ever made was selling my entire PS2/PSOne collection (including a ton of RPGs I never got around to beating) when PS3 BC was announced (before the price of the system was announced). I figured I could just rebuy all the games for cheap once the system was released and use the money I made on the sale to get a PS3. Then it was revealed to cost $600 or whatever it was back then. A surefire DOH moment if there ever was one.

The only thing I can think of that Sony could be doing is, if you look at the NPD numbers (posted in a separate thread), you'll see that they're selling almost as many PS2s as they are PS3s. From what I've read, Sony makes tons of profits on each PS2. So, they're selling more "consoles" than the 360, but half of them are PS2s.

If Sony would put BC back into the PS3, they would probably not sell as many, and they would make less of a profit.

Now, is that really what is going on? Is it really smart to lose this generation and persist the situation where your install base is the lowest?

Who knows, but I hope there is some method to this madness somewhere.

What I don't like about the statement that was made (by Koller) is that he just comes out and says that its not going to happen so STFU people who are asking for it... I don't think that's good... he can say... "we're looking into it" or ... I can't comment on that right now. Everyone was all happy about the price drop, and was at least optimistic that perhaps one day BC would come to the PS3.. and then this fool comes and craps over the entire party.

All PS2 games don't need to be BC on the PS3, but at least hit up some of the greatest hits games and some of the popular ones... but then again... just do them all.

I think Sony knows that BC is something that people like to know their system has, but they probably won't use it that much when they have it. Its the old... "you won't miss it until its gone" type thinking.

hmm, complete final nail in the coffin...
FF XIII goes multi-platform
Stand alone BR Players are now affordable and high quality
No more BC for PS3 (I was waiting for the inevitable $250-300 price range to buy one)
360 Elite has HDMI

Yep, no PS3 for me. Bummer too, it sounded so great at the beginning, I just didn't want to pay that much...

I REFUSE to buy a PS3 without BC. Main reason: Limited space. I have a PS2 with component wires right now, and it hopefully will one day be replaced.

Also, upscaling would be nice.

This only means that they're currently not planning on adding BC to Slim via firmware update. Probably mainly because emulating PS2 is beyond PS3's capability. Otherwise they could sell this feature and then sell PS2 games via PSN.

I suspect that when they finally stop making/selling PS2's they will make a new PS3 model that will have PS2 BC.

[quote name='nasum']hmm, complete final nail in the coffin...
FF XIII goes multi-platform
Stand alone BR Players are now affordable and high quality
No more BC for PS3 (I was waiting for the inevitable $250-300 price range to buy one)
360 Elite has HDMI

Yep, no PS3 for me. Bummer too, it sounded so great at the beginning, I just didn't want to pay that much...[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's so retarded. Welcome to my ignore list, xbot.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I REFUSE to buy a PS3 without BC. Main reason: Limited space. I have a PS2 with component wires right now, and it hopefully will one day be replaced.

Also, upscaling would be nice.[/QUOTE]

If the main reason is not money, then why didn't you buy a PS3 when it did have BC. If it's that important, then why not buy it when it was dicounted when non-BC models came out? Take your BS somewhere else.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought that there was going to be a software update that disabled BC. I think I'll hug my 20 GB (w/320 GB HDD) when I get home today.

most people are buying the PS3 for PS3 games. They've buying it for PS3 games and Blu-ray movies.
Wow, did he really say that? You mean people are actually buying a ps3 for ps3 games and blu ray movies? I thought it was becuase they wanted to play ps2 games on a system that doesnt support ps2 games. But seriously, what he said is obvious, but how many people are NOT buying a PS3 because it doesnt have ps2 BC? Im sure there are some out there that are waiting and hoping. Though i wouldnt say its millions of people. But that was an incredibly dumb statement. He is just trying to make it look like no one cares about ps2 BC. If they wont give us PS2 BC, at least give us a PS2 store to buy PS2 games.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']This only means that they're currently not planning on adding BC to Slim via firmware update. Probably mainly because emulating PS2 is beyond PS3's capability. [/QUOTE]

Isn't that exactly what the 80gig BC PS3's were doing?

I'm pretty sure it will come it's just a matter of time. Just like Myke said, they said the controllers wouldn't have rumble, they said the ps3 slim was a rumor, now they say BC is never coming back. I don't buy it.

I guess I really am stuck with this big brick (60gb BC)... Unless GT5 planning on going Multiplatform along with all the other older GT games... xD

Surprise! Another troll comment from the PS3 troll!! I wish I had nothing to do but put worthless messages on the 360 forums all day

At least Cheapest can stop his damn bitchin b/c it aint coming back. They wil just be doing select games for Download. Socom 2 Turbo HD Remix please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't help it if RSV2 on a PS3 (yes, I owned it on the ps3 at one time and played it) is a FAIL and it's great on the 360. As I said before... I could give a shit about the system. I want the game. PS3 doesn't have squat.

I'm sure Sony's in no hurry to "add" BC because, like somebody else said, it discourages sales of the PS2...which is still selling. I figure they'll squeeze every last drop of profits out of the PS2, maybe for another year (since sales are finally falling, according to Sony's last quarterly statement), and then add software BC to the PS3.

As for emulating PS2 games being beyond the PS3's capabilities, well...last time I checked the Xbox 360 can do Xbox emulation, and the Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 hardware-wise. Emulating PS2 games should be no problem for the PS3.

why would they put out backwards capability back in... it would cost them more to put it in and plus then they couldn't sell Crash Bandicoot and other PS1/PS2 games for $10-20 if people could use the discs they bought previously.

[quote name='lordopus99']why would they put out backwards capability back in... it would cost them more to put it in and plus then they couldn't sell Crash Bandicoot and other PS1/PS2 games for $10-20 if people could use the discs they bought previously.[/QUOTE]
PS1 backward compatibility is in every ps3 ever made

Can a mod please consolidate all of these threads? It's already been covered extensively in the Sony Price Drop thread. I'm all for free discussion with people expressing their ideas and frustrations, but not when it clogs up the forum.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I can't help it if RSV2 on a PS3 (yes, I owned it on the ps3 at one time and played it) is a FAIL and it's great on the 360. As I said before... I could give a shit about the system. I want the game. PS3 doesn't have squat.[/QUOTE]

What's so bad about it? I have it and it's a lot of fun.

[quote name='nasum']hmm, complete final nail in the coffin...
Ff xiii goes multi-platform
stand alone br players are now affordable and high quality
no more bc for ps3 (i was waiting for the inevitable $250-300 price range to buy one)
360 elite has hdmi

yep, no ps3 for me. Bummer too, it sounded so great at the beginning, i just didn't want to pay that much...[/quote]

360. It"s for poor people.

All the people not buying a PS3 because of no BC, here's a thought for you:
GO BUY A BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE ONE OFF OF EBAY, FOR $300 OR LESS, AND QUIT COMPLAINING.
It seems they just love to bitch, when they could easily get a bc ps3.

[quote name='Paco']360. It"s for poor people.[/QUOTE]

lmao that would make for a funny commercial. i think alot of you are on to somthing considering they dont make money on used games and many people new to sony gaming if they had a bc system would buy the games they wanted to play on ps2 used it makes sense to take out bc and then just sell the games as dlc. if you could get a game like gow2 or kh2 for 15 or 20 bucks as dlc i think many people would go for that over over buying it used in store. that could also explain why the new ps3 comes with a 120gb harddrive. ps2 games tend to clock in at 2 to 5 gb right?

[quote name='Cheapass24']All the people not buying a PS3 because of no BC, here's a thought for you:
GO BUY A BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE ONE OFF OF EBAY, FOR $300 OR LESS, AND QUIT COMPLAINING.
It seems they just love to bitch, when they could easily get a bc ps3.[/QUOTE]

I have a better idea. Instead of buying a PS3 to play PS2 games maybe buy one to play PS3 games on? I know it sounds crazy, but it just might work.

[quote name='whoknows']I have a better idea. Instead of buying a PS3 to play PS2 games maybe buy one to play PS3 games on? I know it sounds crazy, but it just might work.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm Flabbergasting, but it might be true.

[quote name='mykevermin']Remember when Sony said that it was impossible to add rumble to the sixaxis controller?

I do.[/QUOTE]

Haha. Yeah. I got a feeling we'll see BC down the line.

RSV2 did suck ass for PS3. When that game came out, it didn't work online for 2-3 weeks. I still enjoyed it when it eventually started working right.

[quote name='Phunin']Lol, hopefully they'll allow you to emulate the good games off the Playstation Network.[/QUOTE]

You bet they will -- for the right price, anyways. :cool:

[quote name='VipFREAK']I can't help it if RSV2 on a PS3 (yes, I owned it on the ps3 at one time and played it) is a FAIL and it's great on the 360. As I said before... I could give a shit about the system. I want the game. PS3 doesn't have squat.[/QUOTE]

That was like two years ago dude. Get over it.

So ironic fanboy... Anyway, so what it was 2 yrs. ago I'm using it as a perfect example. I can name off something more current if you like...

[quote name='whoknows']What's so bad about it? I have it and it's a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

I have RSV and RSV2 and I love them both... I'd like to know what problems RSV2 allegedly has?

[quote name='VipFREAK']So ironic fanboy... Anyway, so what it was 2 yrs. ago I'm using it as a perfect example. I can name off something more current if you like...[/QUOTE]

what games or types of games can't you find on the PS3?

I love how people are selling 60GB PS3's on Amazon for $950 bucks, and others are buying them, as collectors items or rare, because the Feature PS2 BC. Stupid people.

#1. Gamestop is selling 60GB PS3's with full BC for $320

#2. You are Way better off buying a Slim PS3 for $300, and a Slim PS2 for $99 New at Walmart

Shhhhesh.

bread's done
Back