Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a Vive or have you tried it? It's the highest res screen and even it isn't mind blowing. On top of that it has the screendoor effect that places the screen in physical space more easily if you fixate on the pattern. I mean, they had these things for weeks and weeks at hundreds of Best Buy so people could set expectations for a 500 dollar peripheral not to come back home and act shocked at the supposed bait and switch.
No best buy that close to me had one. A gamestop had it one afternoon but my son had a game so I can empathize with those who did not get the opportunity to try it.

Having said that, I don't think disappointment qualifies as an acceptable reason for a return. I do think the resolution complaints are going to lead to a faster turn around time than most think for the next iteration of psvr.

Just sat down for like 3 hours straight and played the demos. Some impressions

Overall had it on for about 3 hours straight with minimal discomfort even with glasses on, so thats awesome. Only major annoyance I had was it was hard fighting that sweet spot. I could see it while adjusting the headset, but I could never get it to sit perfectly on it. Also setting the damn thing up, had to totally re-adjust my counter/shelf space.....

As far as the games go, pretty much everything wowed me in one way or another. The Kitchen demo actually made me jump back in my chair. Rigs was fun as all hell and is likely gonna be my second full retail purchase. Rez and Thumper were both beautiful and are on my to buy list also. And for only 20$, I'll end up buying Until Dawn as well as I enjoyed that. The only one that disappointed me was Drive Club, those graphics look like straight hot ass, and I wouldn't pay more than 20$ for it at the moment. Gnog was a surprising game as well, really cool puzzle game with nice music as well, just has no release date at the moment....

All in all I don't regret my purchase, after playing EVE, Kitchen Demo, and Rigs, I can see that they can definitely do some awesome things as far as first party/AAA games go. And after trying stuff like Rez/Gnog/Thumper, I'm sure most of us VR owners are gonna be buying tons of indie games as well.

Okay my thoughts for what thats worth lol. I've owned just about every home console all the way back to the atari 2600 and nothing compares to the immersion factor in what I experienced tonight. I am literally blown away. I have never used a vive or an oculus so I cannot say how much better they are or if any. For a gamer, this is taking it to a whole nother level. Setup was simple enough and First thing I did was setup the tracking in the settings menu. It is alot more detailed. Headset feels great, tracking is very good(I used move controllers also and tracking was great with those as well). The only negative in my book is the stock earbuds(which my over the ear headset will be in tomorrow)they kept falling out. Played for about 6 hours straight(something I have not done in a long time) and feel perfect. I first started off with ocean descent(did I mention I was blown away lol). It is extremely hard to describe just something you have to experience). Next up was Eve Valkrie demo, then Rigs demo. I will be buying Rigs tomorrow. Next up was Driveclub vr(another one I will definitely be picking up). Next up was Until Dawn: Rush of blood. Alot of fun. Next up was Batman. I knew this was the game to get and it did not disappoint. Played a solid hour 1/2 on this one. I guess the game that took me by surprise the most was the London Heist demo. It is a straight up action flick. Especially when you are in the vehicle and you can lean your entire head out of the window and look back while shooting. I want a full game of this kind of stuff.
I use the move controllers in this one also and I had no problems whatsoever. There is alot of reloading of weapons and the tracking was great. I hope this VR stuff stays because there is nothing like it.

No best buy that close to me had one. A gamestop had it one afternoon but my son had a game so I can empathize with those who did not get the opportunity to try it.

Having said that, I don't think disappointment qualifies as an acceptable reason for a return. I do think the resolution complaints are going to lead to a faster turn around time than most think for the next iteration of psvr.
If someone literally had no chance and bought it on their ideal than I can sympathize as the resolution is jarring. When there's a lot of detail to distract the eye or it's extremely minimal art style it doesn't matter but games like Rush of Blood and Eve Valkyrie can look amazing one second and terrible the next. I'm probably just spoiled living in a major city where I could get out at least twice to confirm I would invest in one. I think it's a good three years before another headset but PS4 pro will alleviate some of the problem.

Can anyone recommend some games? I am thinking of getting eve, but want some other ideas.
Batman: Arkham VR is a straight up theme park ride demoing the best parts of VR. It's criminally short and maybe worth 15 bucks with the knowledge that you might play it twice (I'm happily going back for the riddler trophies) but will then demo it for friends and shelve it for a year to maybe try it again.

Rigs is on the demo disc and looks quite good. It feels like a game that will need online for legs and I worry what that will look like. It's the most polished VR game I've played and feels like a 40-50 dollar game easy.

Rez Infinite is great but looks old and the VR resolution doesn't help. Again, it's a steal at 15 bucks but having played it twice before even VR isn't making it amazing. Haven't played the new area though.

Rush of Blood is pretty scary and exciting and probably worth 15 bucks since it has a decent amount of levels. Played the whole first level and it's mildy scary/thrilling with crap to shoot at every second. Motion controls work well enough that if calibrated it's a hell of a lightgun game.

I'd buy Batman or Rush of Blood with GCU if you can and then Rigs or Battlezone if there's evidence of a decent community or you want a bigger game. There's still Robinson: The Journey, , Star Trek, Golem, Farpoint, and Resident Evil coming in the next 4-6 months as far as 60 dollar games go.

Batman is a must buy. Seriously. I know it's short, but it really sucks you into the world. When you are on top of a building and take a step forward and look down... Wow.

I have t booted up Batman yet, but I've really enjoyed VR worlds and Eve Valkyrie. Surprisingly danger ball in VR worlds is super super fun. It will be really easy to put family members into descent and danger ball as showcase pieces.

Thanks for the impressions everyone. I might just buy the core PSvr as I have the Camera I bought from BB last year for like $14.99 when they had that coupon and already have Move controllers I bought on clearance from Target like a year ago for like $10 a piece. That's all I basically need I think. Would still love to see more impressions.

What headphones are you all using? I was disappointed to discover my wireless gold PS headphones don't work with PSVR. I found a 20 year old pair of wired headphones for now but am looking for suggestions.

What ps vr has made me feel:
1.) I am now a believer in vr technology...I truly feel like it's the next form of entertainment however...
2.) all I was thinking about is how future revisions will blow this thing out of the water...the screen is sooo incredibly pixely. It reminds me of when lcd tvs first came out and you had that one friend who had like that giant 60 inch projection hdtv and tried to hook up a PS3 or 360 to it and it just looked like shit despite it being "hdtv". Yea reminds me of that.

What headphones are you all using? I was disappointed to discover my wireless gold PS headphones don't work with PSVR. I found a 20 year old pair of wired headphones for now but am looking for suggestions.
That's strange. I've been using my gold headset with my unit. All you really need to to is plug them into the in wire remote and crank up the volume. I think the default setting is either really low or now volume.

I spent way too much money..... Launch bundle then:

Batman 

Until Dawn

Rigs

Battle Zone

Driveclub

Eve

Then again I had about $100 in rewards certs, that plus gcu paid for the a good portion of the games.

I'm so irritated man. You didn't get yours either? I'm in SoCal as well and didn't get mine today despite OnTrac claiming it would arrive.
Where you guys at? I'm in riverside, I got mine early in the morning surprisingly. I wasn't sure when it would get here, they are so inconsistent.

Do you have a Vive or have you tried it? It's the highest res screen and even it isn't mind blowing. On top of that it has the screendoor effect that places the screen in physical space more easily if you fixate on the pattern. I mean, they had these things for weeks and weeks at hundreds of Best Buy so people could set expectations for a 500 dollar peripheral not to come back home and act shocked at the supposed bait and switch.
Yes I demoed the Vive at the Microsoft Store. It's night and day better looking in terms of sharpness etc, but it does indeed have more noticeable screen door effect due to fewer subpixels than PSVR. I really do wonder how much of the issues we are seeing with PSVR are due to the low power of PS4. I guess we'll see when PS4 Pro comes out.

Loving this thing so far. Just finished Batman and cant wait to play it again. Eve is pretty great as well. Definitely happy I picked one of these up.

Got home from work and my launch bundle from Best Buy was waiting for me at my doorstep. Tried almost all the demos on the demo disc and VR worlds and gotta say it was much more impressive then when I tried it at the demo station a few months back. My highlight so far was having my mom try out the Ocean Descent and she almost fell out of her chair
when the shark attacked the cage.
The bundle was worth it just for that.

Planning to pick up Batman and Eve Valkyrie tomorrow.

Just spent some more time with PSVR. I'm kinda loving it. I just said to hell with the resolution and just let myself get sucked into it. Thumper put me into a trance-like state. Allumette blew my mind, DriveClub still looks like ass but is SO immersive. It's incredible with the G29 wheel. Using a controller is half the game.

I just have to keep going back for more...

Just bought Batman and Headmaster, DriveClub and Jumble. Should be good for a while now. :)

Just spent some more time with PSVR. I'm kinda loving it. I just said to hell with the resolution and just let myself get sucked into it. Thumper put me into a trance-like state. Allumette blew my mind, DriveClub still looks like ass but is SO immersive. It's incredible with the G29 wheel. Using a controller is half the game.

I just have to keep going back for more...

Just bought Batman and Headmaster, DriveClub and Jumble. Should be good for a while now. :)
That's how it is for me with Driveclub, but I can't get over the fact that it looks like a PS2 game. I've never been a graphics douche, but I find it extremely immersion breaking with VR. It seems like the importance of graphics is multiplied with VR.

I honestly can't get over it. I can't justify $400+ on something that feels wrong from the get go. I don't need to justify my purchase in my mind. I'm going to purchase a handful of the games and give it a fair shot, but I'm elite plus and have a 45 day return window. That day is marked in my calendar. I would prefer to keep the PSVR, but the resolution is like holding a PSVita close to my face!

Mine arrived from BB.  It had the infamous (Yours was on the top when the best buy employees opened it)  

Box cutter scratch on the top.   It was right down the middle.  I almost thought it was normal.  It didn't cut through it thank goodness.  

On another note I am older and recently needed to start wearing reading glasses.  For objects close.  Without them magazine articles would be blurry.        But I march on.  On the pixel complaints.  I thought Rigs and eve looked very well for vr.  

Mine arrived from BB. It had the infamous (Yours was on the top when the best buy employees opened it)

Box cutter scratch on the top. It was right down the middle. I almost thought it was normal. It didn't cut through it thank goodness.
The exact same thing happened to mine.

ARe people really going to constantly comment on the low resolution constantly like this?

Yes the res is low but what do you expect? You can see the specs for the thing anywhere on the internet, its running off a console and not a high end pc, its only 400 bucks and is 200 dollars less than just a rift headset and doesnt require a higher end expensive pc. Its also tech that is just starting out and not mainstream yet.

Yes its low res, and I am fine with that.

I will have to say that motion tracking and res is fine with me.  I had a silly grin the entire time playing Eve Valkyrie.  Great stuff.  The future is here.

I made it to a demo kiosk last night. There weren't too many people in line to try it so I got to go through twice. I know I probably should have started with one of the VR Worlds experiences but I figured this might be the only chance to try this so I went all out and played Battlezone and Eve.

Yes, the resolution dip is noticeable. The graphical style of Battlezone kinda hides it, but when I was playing Eve it definitely felt like a mid-generation PS3 game. That's all the negative I'm going to say.

Other than that...wow. I've wanted for so many years to play a tank-type game in which you don't have to swivel all the way around just to see the enemy, and with VR it's finally possible. I couldn't have asked for more in terms of the immersion and fun effects of it. I was blown away just looking around in the cockpits of the vehicles. Both of these games are must-buys for me.  

Anyone play Rigs online yet?  I'm probably gonna break down and get it based on how polished the demo was but want to know if they thought it was $42 and change for just single player.

Also, can someone explain why Bound and few other games are buy only on the demo disc? I keep thinking they just need to install but when I go back to them it's still just "Buy" on the screen.

Anyone play Rigs online yet? I'm probably gonna break down and get it based on how polished the demo was but want to know if they thought it was $42 and change for just single player.
I didn't enjoy the demo for Rigs and will wait for a drop in price before I pick up the full game. So far I've got Super HyperCube, EVE Valkyrie, and Batman. All of which are very enjoyable, I am debating on what my next VR purchase will be, but I am leaning towards Rez, it's just a debate of should I spend the extra for the limited physical release or should I just go digital and save myself some cash.

I kinda feel the same way about rigs. It's one of the few demos that makes me experience motion sickness as well so I will probably pass on the full game at least at first. I'll definatly be playing lots of eve though.

well i had some time on my hands last night and seen that you could hook the ps vr up to an xbox,so I connected it to my Gears xbox s,played a 4k movie,not bad, I really think when the ps4 pro is out its going to make the vr shine.

I didn't enjoy the demo for Rigs and will wait for a drop in price before I pick up the full game. So far I've got Super HyperCube, EVE Valkyrie, and Batman. All of which are very enjoyable, I am debating on what my next VR purchase will be, but I am leaning towards Rez, it's just a debate of should I spend the extra for the limited physical release or should I just go digital and save myself some cash.
Rez is really cool but definitely looks like an old game because it is. Area X is supposed to be amazing but I haven't unlocked it. Is Hypercube worth 30 bucks? I love the demo at Best Buy (the demo disc doesn't seem to have an actual demo for it) but it seems like it could get boring quickly.

You can use the Gold wireless headsets that's what I'm using. The Golds come with a cable that has the headphone jack on both ends. Plug the one end in the golds and the other end in the VR remote. If you lost that cable order an audio auxiliary cord from amazon for a few bucks

I made it to a demo kiosk last night. There weren't too many people in line to try it so I got to go through twice. I know I probably should have started with one of the VR Worlds experiences but I figured this might be the only chance to try this so I went all out and played Battlezone and Eve.

Yes, the resolution dip is noticeable. The graphical style of Battlezone kinda hides it, but when I was playing Eve it definitely felt like a mid-generation PS3 game. That's all the negative I'm going to say.

Other than that...wow. I've wanted for so many years to play a tank-type game in which you don't have to swivel all the way around just to see the enemy, and with VR it's finally possible. I couldn't have asked for more in terms of the immersion and fun effects of it. I was blown away just looking around in the cockpits of the vehicles. Both of these games are must-buys for me.
Haha yep, I thought battlezone was not going to be very good by just looking at gameplay videos, but once you are in that tank it is a whole different story. I am still blown away. Another game to check out is Rigs. It is a very awesome feeling once you are inside of that mech suit. Batman is a must buy also.

Haha yep, I thought battlezone was not going to be very good by just looking at gameplay videos, but once you are in that tank it is a whole different story. I am still blown away. Another game to check out is Rigs. It is a very awesome feeling once you are inside of that mech suit. Batman is a must buy also.
Exactly!!! Stop watching videos of Battlezone and play it - you will be more than satisfied!

just an FYI for those interested in SportsBar VR - as some places had this listed as a launch title. It's out in Europe today, and will be released in North America on Tuesday (10/18).

bread's done
Back