Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, new camera here too. 

I was starting to think maybe there was some kind of auto calibration effect going on that was causing it. Like if I looked to the right or left several times during a game, maybe it was starting to account for that as the center of the screen or something, and making incremental adjustments over time. I guess it could be anything though. 

Yep, new camera here too.

I was starting to think maybe there was some kind of auto calibration effect going on that was causing it. Like if I looked to the right or left several times during a game, maybe it was starting to account for that as the center of the screen or something, and making incremental adjustments over time. I guess it could be anything though.
I'm seeing it too and I think it has something to do with the drift issues. Essentially, the farther the PSVR headset it, the more calibration (which is something that's happening all the time) has the tendency to shift the 3D space. On my sofa, around 7 feet from the camera, I'm constantly finding myself turning a full 180 when playing Rez or Thumper for 30 minutes or more. I haven't looked into the fix but can say a lot of different advice is getting thrown around regarding it. For me, sitting 3-4 feet from the camera effectively stopped it but that's not a long term solution for me.

I found this, but I'm skeptical that it's really going to be of much help.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_VR_Camera_Drift_Problem_Fixes

The issue seems to be fairly widespread, there was quite a bit of talk on Reddit about it. Some people were saying it's more prevalent in cinematic mode. Others were saying it had to do with reflections and the LED, etc.... Cinematic mode doesn't use the camera though so that doesn't explain why people would be experiencing drift in cinematic mode. 

I feel like it's more of a software thing where the camera is just incorrectly calibrating things after extended use.  It might even be ambient light interfering with things.  I don't think it's necessarily a "defect" in the hardware though.  Hopefully a software update might address it. 

I have an old camera and haven't experience this problem. Anyone else?
Try it in cinematic mode and see if it happens, considering that mode doesn't even use the camera. There are theories that it has nothing to do with the camera, but no one seems to know for sure yet.

I found this, but I'm skeptical that it's really going to be of much help.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_VR_Camera_Drift_Problem_Fixes

The issue seems to be fairly widespread, there was quite a bit of talk on Reddit about it. Some people were saying it's more prevalent in cinematic mode. Others were saying it had to do with reflections and the LED, etc.... Cinematic mode doesn't use the camera though so that doesn't explain why people would be experiencing drift in cinematic mode.
I saw that and tried a few of the calibrations but it still drifts a little. I'm about 2-3 feet from my camera. There aren't any lights shining towards the camera. Seems it affects both cameras so that's not the answer.

Actually it does. That's how the image stays in place when you look towards the corners. If you tried the VR with a different device (meaning no camera tracking) then the image will stay locked in the center of the screen. It's a little disorienting.

The Pro isn't going to make any difference. It's just another PS4 with minor upgrades, totally not worth a purchase if you own a PS4 already. As was said the VR is what it is and early software is always the worst until devs learn the hardware better. Certain sacrifices need to be made in order to keep a lag free experience so don't expect high detail content. In fact I think high detail is exactly the problem. There's a shimmery jaggy effect on scenes with too much detail. Meanwhile games with bigger, colorful textures like Tumble or Battlezone appear better. Look at the text too. People need to understand the VR isn't a HDTV.
You guys are funny. "More than double the GPU horsepower" equals "minor upgrades".

I still maintain that PS4 Pro will make a big difference to PSVR if the game supports it. In any case we'll find out within a month.

You guys are funny. "More than double the GPU horsepower" equals "minor upgrades".

I still maintain that PS4 Pro will make a big difference to PSVR if the game supports it. In any case we'll find out within a month.
Specs aren't important and everything is required to be able to run on the original PS4. We won't see much of a bump. Sony would have been wiser to focus on PS5 instead. We all know Scorpio is 'next gen' instead of a mid-gen upgrade.

It can't. The VR can only do so much. The PS4 isn't the bottleneck so what good is higher specs? In any case I have the VR but zero interest in a Pro.

Specs aren't important and everything is required to be able to run on the original PS4. We won't see much of a bump. Sony would have been wiser to focus on PS5 instead. We all know Scorpio is 'next gen' instead of a mid-gen upgrade.

It can't. The VR can only do so much. The PS4 isn't the bottleneck so what good is higher specs? In any case I have the VR but zero interest in a Pro.
Of course the PS4 is the bottleneck, the GPU is completely inadequate for VR. You'd be laughed out of the room if you tried to run any PC VR headset on an AMD 7850, and that's essentially what the PS4 is doing. The PSVR headset is basically just a screen, the PS4 is doing the rendering. The PSVR processor unit is mostly an HDMI splitter with some 3D audio processing, it has no GPU capability.

If anyone is having the "screen drift" issue... it's because cinematic mode (2d mode) does not use the camera for tracking.  It's relying on the sixaxis controls in the headset.  I'm sure Sony will address it with an option to use the camera for tracking in cinematic mode... but until then, extended viewing in cinematic mode is pretty much broken.

That said, if you have drifting while in VR mode, you should probably return your headset.

Good god I hope you're trolling. Sorry, but people who spew their non factual opinion as fact is just annoying as hell. The PS4 Pro will be much more powerful, and VR will very likely use that to its advantage. However, Sony hasn't commented on much yet, so speculating with your nonsense is pointless.

You seem pretty hell bent on telling people what they should or shouldn't buy. 1- you have no first hand knowledge of the ps4pro since you don't own one as it isn't out yet. 2- what do you care what others buy? Why is it you feel the need to tell them they shouldn't buy it? 3- I'm guessing you're a fan boy since you try and reason down the ps4pro but talk about Scorpio being next gen despite you know less about it than the ps4pro and it won't even be out for over a year.

And you have from what I've seen made at least 4 terrible arguments against the ps4pro because you have a very narrow minded view that is locked in based on opinions instead of facts and ignored how game consoles actually work. Seems like you state a lot of things based on them sounding good to you in your head.

Your arguments will not change one person's mind because they aren't very good. Or in my case I'm getting one despite you saying I shouldnt.

Good god I hope you're trolling. Sorry, but people who spew their non factual opinion as fact is just annoying as hell. The PS4 Pro will be much more powerful, and VR will very likely use that to its advantage. However, Sony hasn't commented on much yet, so speculating with your nonsense is pointless.
I think the Pro will result in upgrades, but it is still constrained by the low res headset itself... We SHOULD see dramatic upgrades in games like Driveclub, where the game looks awful not because of the VR screen, but the game having low res textures, models, no anti aliasing, etc.

To put it into easier words, think of a PC game. Say you have the resolution at 1080p. If your PC is lower end, you have to turn down all the options... vsync, textures, aa, etc. Upgrading to the Pro, in theory, should allow developers to create profiles for games with significantly higher graphics. As long as the game was made to scale, it shouldn't be difficult. Games that are PC ports should have this built in to the engine already. Optimizing a profile on a dev kit won't take a huge team of devs by any means.

Thus, you will see improvements.

However, the maximum resolution of the screen, a 1080p screen cut in half (so 960x1080 per eye) will be the limiter... which is quite frankly pretty bad. The screens for the Vive and Rift are unquestionably better, being at 1080x1200 per eye. Even with a monster PC, jaggies and resolution issues are present.

Graphics quality will struggle for quite some time. Games that aren't VR are just starting to enter the 4K realm. Games on VR, even at 1080p/near 1080p will still still struggle even at max specs, thus the limitation is the VR. It might not be until the headsets themselves reach around 4K territory until they look graphically pleasing/have parity with mainstream AAA games. Imagine the rig required to run VR at 4K! I would be surprised to see an Oculus, Vive, or PSVR in 4K with relatively affordable set ups in the next 10 years!

If anyone is having the "screen drift" issue... it's because cinematic mode (2d mode) does not use the camera for tracking. It's relying on the sixaxis controls in the headset. I'm sure Sony will address it with an option to use the camera for tracking in cinematic mode... but until then, extended viewing in cinematic mode is pretty much broken.

That said, if you have drifting while in VR mode, you should probably return your headset.
So you think the whole drifting thing is a hardware defect and the unit should be returned?

Of course the PS4 is the bottleneck, the GPU is completely inadequate for VR. You'd be laughed out of the room if you tried to run any PC VR headset on an AMD 7850, and that's essentially what the PS4 is doing. The PSVR headset is basically just a screen, the PS4 is doing the rendering. The PSVR processor unit is mostly an HDMI splitter with some 3D audio processing, it has no GPU capability.
You have no idea how any of this works... It's more than adequate because we're not getting lag. If they aren't making full use of the current PS4 then the Pro isn't necessary for VR.

Pro was literally a knee jerk reaction to the Scorpio announcement and it's going to fall through the cracks as soon as the next gen begins. Don't get me wrong I've no interest in XB, but my next platforms will be the NX and PS5. I already have something that runs the PS4 library.

No it won't. Sony stated games must run on both platforms so the Pro isn't going to gain much if anything. And no it has nothing at all to do with VR. Speculating that it will is the nonsense. VR is out now, this is how it's going to work best.

You have no idea how any of this works... It's more than adequate because we're not getting lag. If they aren't making full use of the current PS4 then the Pro isn't necessary for VR.

Pro was literally a knee jerk reaction to the Scorpio announcement and it's going to fall through the cracks as soon as the next gen begins. Don't get me wrong I've no interest in XB, but my next platforms will be the NX and PS5. I already have something that runs the PS4 library.
You obviously have no idea how this works

You seem pretty hell bent on telling people what they should or shouldn't buy. 1- you have no first hand knowledge of the ps4pro since you don't own one as it isn't out yet. 2- what do you care what others buy? Why is it you feel the need to tell them they shouldn't buy it? 3- I'm guessing you're a fan boy since you try and reason down the ps4pro but talk about Scorpio being next gen despite you know less about it than the ps4pro and it won't even be out for over a year.

And you have from what I've seen made at least 4 terrible arguments against the ps4pro because you have a very narrow minded view that is locked in based on opinions instead of facts and ignored how game consoles actually work. Seems like you state a lot of things based on them sounding good to you in your head.

Your arguments will not change one person's mind because they aren't very good. Or in my case I'm getting one despite you saying I shouldnt.
Oh I don't care what people buy. Some people just don't know better. I'm no fan of any one platform, I own pretty much everything from Sega, Sony, and Nin, along with earlier systems like Atari, Coleco, etc. I don't care much for what M$ is doing.

I was always against the idea of mid-gen hardware. It's a terrible idea. We're too far into this gen for it to make a difference and it won't be enough for next gen so the PS5 will be right behind it. If anything it's a cash grab for gullible customers and non-gamers who believe specs matter more than software and gameplay. I've been collecting long enough to know what I'm talking about. VR is doing something new. Pro isn't.

Well, if you still are then I'm sorry you ended up that way. Is this your first generation of consoles?

I don't get where people get this idea neo was a respose to scorpio when neo was rumored way before scorpio.

I don't get where people get this idea neo was a respose to scorpio when neo was rumored way before scorpio.
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. The guy is obviously trolling or just getting people heated up. If anything was a knee jerk reaction it was the scorpio to combat the PS4 Pro which was in production before the scorpio was announced. Microsoft doesn't want to be left behind but by next year it might be too late for the Scorpio to make much of a difference with the PS4 Pro head start and Sony coming out with many games in the next 12 months.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. The guy is obviously trolling or just getting people heated up. If anything was a knee jerk reaction it was the scorpio to combat the PS4 Pro which was in production before the scorpio was announced. Microsoft doesn't want to be left behind but by next year it might be too late for the Scorpio to make much of a difference with the PS4 Pro head start and Sony coming out with many games in the next 12 months.
Yes, the pro was rumored maybe even a year (?) before microsoft dropped any hints about scorpio. I was actually disappointed in the specs comparison between the two but it makes sense for a stronger scorpio if it was designed and going to be released after the PS pro.

The Scorpio and Pro were rumored for some time before they became a reality. Neither company wanted to make the first move until M$ started falling behind. I don't know why anyone thought it was a good idea. Nobody asked for these things. They're consoles, not those damned phones which people throw away every other year. What rational person is going to buy another PS4 just for the hell of it?

It doesn't matter. I came in to find a solution for the drifting issue. This is a VR thread. If you think you want a Pro then there's a kids table over there you can hang out at. No need to mess this up.

The Scorpio and Pro were rumored for some time before they became a reality. Neither company wanted to make the first move until M$ started falling behind. I don't know why anyone thought it was a good idea. Nobody asked for these things. They're consoles, not those damned phones which people throw away every other year. What rational person is going to buy another PS4 just for the hell of it?

It doesn't matter. I came in to find a solution for the drifting issue. This is a VR thread. If you think you want a Pro then there's a kids table over there you can hang out at. No need to mess this up.
except that's a wrong assumption, I asked for this, just like during the ps3 era, once games became choppy and plagued with screen tearing (far cry 3, bioshock, crysis) I was dying to build a pc, then the ps4 got announced. Fast forward to this year, games are starting to screen tear again and becoming choppy, I'm looking at a pc again and now these consoles are coming to combat that. I'm excited for the pspro. I wish they made these systems upgradable from the get go like how Nintendo did the n64. The difference it made on games like turok

No it won't. Sony stated games must run on both platforms so the Pro isn't going to gain much if anything. And no it has nothing at all to do with VR. Speculating that it will is the nonsense. VR is out now, this is how it's going to work best.
Games WILL run on both, but just like PC games, your PC's components will drastically change how your games look and run. Just because a game has a resolution of 1080p doesn't mean it can't look or run better on a better system. PS3 ran at 1080, PS4 also runs at 1080, do PS3 games look and run the same as PS4? No. So to say the PS VR only has "X" resolution and can't possibly look any better, even when using better hardware, is moronic. It's not that hard to understand... I'm done wasting my time with you, and everyone else should also just ignore you.

except that's a wrong assumption, I asked for this, just like during the ps3 era, once games became choppy and plagued with screen tearing (far cry 3, bioshock, crysis) I was dying to build a pc, then the ps4 got announced. Fast forward to this year, games are starting to screen tear again and becoming choppy, I'm looking at a pc again and now these consoles are coming to combat that. I'm excited for the pspro. I wish they made these systems upgradable from the get go like how Nintendo did the n64. The difference it made on games like turok
Where? I haven't played anything that's had difficulty running. Kids these days are too focused on graphics. No wonder indies are choosing 8-bit styles. Gameplay always comes first.

It's a mistake. Too many people are afraid to put a HDD in their console, nevermind updating anything more complicated. I used to play on PC but stopped years ago. There are many problems that the PC market carries that have no business in the console market. Upgrades means games will be buggier than ever. Consumers will be confused what works on their system. Consoles have thrived alongside PC's because of convenience. Are they going to accept paying $400 every 2-4 years rather than 5-8? I've been playing so long I don't think this can end well.

Games WILL run on both, but just like PC games, your PC's components will drastically change how your games look and run. Just because a game has a resolution of 1080p doesn't mean it can't look or run better on a better system. PS3 ran at 1080, PS4 also runs at 1080, do PS3 games look and run the same as PS4? No. So to say the PS VR only has "X" resolution and can't possibly look any better, even when using better hardware, is moronic. It's not that hard to understand... I'm done wasting my time with you, and everyone else should also just ignore you.
VR has a limit because of the size/proximity of the screen and a demand that there is no lag. It's not merely a monitor. I'm not implying VR is bad, I think it's great and can't wait to see where it goes. I'm just disappointed that people think the Pro is a good idea or has any relation to VR. There should only be one model per generation but I understand the slim versions are for cost reduction. I don't buy those either.

Yes, leave. You don't have a clue. Again it's a VR thread, not a place for Pro.

Those of us who own a Rift or Vive can tell you that the greater power from a card like a GTX980ti or GTX 1080 allows for supersampling the games rendered resolution which translates into a much cleaner and perceivably higher res image.  It can be pretty dramatic depending on the game (artistic style and engine being used) and is a priority I would say over other graphical settings.  Then there are games which render less than the headsets native res such as The Climb for the Rift or I gotta believe after trying the demo, Here They Lie, for PSVR.  The pro could allow for these games to look A LOT better, frankly.

Those of us who own a Rift or Vive can tell you that the greater power from a card like a GTX980ti or GTX 1080 allows for supersampling the games rendered resolution which translates into a much cleaner and perceivably higher res image. It can be pretty dramatic depending on the game (artistic style and engine being used) and is a priority I would say over other graphical settings. Then there are games which render less than the headsets native res such as The Climb for the Rift or I gotta believe after trying the demo, Here They Lie, for PSVR. The pro could allow for these games to look A LOT better, frankly.
Thank you for the info. Also, this is a pretty good article about how the Pro improves Vr games.
http://uploadvr.com/farpoint-developer-ps4-pro-ps-vr/

Where? I haven't played anything that's had difficulty running. Kids these days are too focused on graphics. No wonder indies are choosing 8-bit styles. Gameplay always comes first.

It's a mistake. Too many people are afraid to put a HDD in their console, nevermind updating anything more complicated. I used to play on PC but stopped years ago. There are many problems that the PC market carries that have no business in the console market. Upgrades means games will be buggier than ever. Consumers will be confused what works on their system. Consoles have thrived alongside PC's because of convenience. Are they going to accept paying $400 every 2-4 years rather than 5-8? I've been playing so long I don't think this can end well.
deus ex is a solid example of something that shouldn't be running poorly. Witcher has it's problems. Some games can't even push past 30fps. There's nothing confusing about it, look at the Xbox elite, you think people had a hard time figuring that one out??

Games are going to begin to run worse as time goes on and developers push the envelope, just accept it man. Your ps4 will still play the same games and Sony has said this already. Graphics may not be the only thing that makes games but they sure as hell add to immersion, I'll take that with my pspro this fall

I apologize for going off topic guys

Ignore the hardware behind them. The Rift and Vive are in a different class than PSVR. They cost a lot more and that's why they look different. PSVR is a damn good product for the price.

Where are these newer gamers getting the idea the Pro is going to turn PSVR into the Rift/Vive? You might see minor changes on your home TV if devs care to spend the resources. VR will improve only as devs learn what works and what doesn't. Personally I don't think high detail is right for VR. Tone it back to make fun games that run well instead of pretending this is going to play the same things the PS4 does. They're more or less separate platforms.

deus ex is a solid example of something that shouldn't be running poorly. Witcher has it's problems. Some games can't even push past 30fps. There's nothing confusing about it, look at the Xbox elite, you think people had a hard time figuring that one out??

Games are going to begin to run worse as time goes on and developers push the envelope, just accept it man. Your ps4 will still play the same games and Sony has said this already. Graphics may not be the only thing that makes games but they sure as hell add to immersion, I'll take that with my pspro this fall

I apologize for going off topic guys
Seriously? If anything games run better as the hardware ages. Developers learn new tricks and understand the limits. Go back to any previous gen and find late content that runs poorly compared to launch games.

I'm a long time gamer and always insist gameplay comes before graphics. I'll play MM9, Retro City, or Shovel Knight as much as MGS, GTA, or AC. Rather than buy a duplicate console I'll go with another bag of games.

Yeah good idea. Let's get back on track now.

The Pro would have to significantly improve PSVR to get me to shell out $400 for a console I already own.
I'm with you there, but most likely stores will offer some kind of trade in program to incentivize you on upgrading to the pro. If the pro does improve the VR experience significantly and I can get say $200 for my current PS4 towards the purchase of a Pro, then I might be tempted. But again, the needle would have to move significantly for me to be that interested.

Now, back to VR talk. Is anyone else that is having drifting issues planning to return you PS VR? I've still got another week to return mine to Best Buy if I want to. I was planning to keep it, but I've noticed the drifting issue while playing VR games like Danger Ball. After 20 minutes, I'm facing roughly 45 degrees from the TV. I find that recalibrating the camera seems to get everything back to center, but again, it will drift after 20-30 mins of play time. I'm just wondering if this is a hardware defect or something that can be addressed with a software update.

Seriously? If anything games run better as the hardware ages. Developers learn new tricks and understand the limits. Go back to any previous gen and find late content that runs poorly compared to launch games.
Sure, but that's completely irrelevant to a discussion of PS4 Pro because the console architecture and development platforms are completely the same between PS4 and PS4 Pro.

The primary difference is simply with the GPU's power. That increased GPU power enables better textures and object processing. A developer's comfort with the PS4 architecture is completely transferable to the Pro.

The Pro can, in simple terms, be thought of almost identically to a gaming PC getting a video card upgrade - it won't help with games that aren't designed to take advantage of the expanded capabilities, but many new games will likely have one texture pallete optimized for Pro and one for Vanilla (just like they have done on the PC scene for 20+ years). And that will no doubt be true for standard PS4 games and PSVR games.

"If anything games run better as the hardware ages." Really now? Okay..
Well that is normally true for consoles due to experience and optimization of code by developers. I actually worry that the pro and Scorpio will stop that trend as developers could get lazy since they will keep having upgraded specs every few years now.

My PS VR should be arriving in the mail tomorrow.

I was initially planning on just using the 5.1 Surround sound speaker set up in my room for gaming with the VR to get my audio (i think thats possible?)

Buuuut, I know nooothing about gaming headsets, quality, trusted brands, ect.

Is it possible for me to get a 5.1 or a 7.1 surround sound gaming headset for around....$199?

I'm not sure who is more nonsense.

PC games can run on a crappy Pentium with low end graphics card with every eye candy turned off, up to GTX-1080 on i7 with stunning graphics.

On console, games are developed for PS Vita, PS3 and PS4 of the same content with different graphics quality and performance.

Obviously, games must run on both PS4 and PS4 Pro does not mean and will not mean the games will perform and look the game.

"If anything games run better as the hardware ages." Really now? Okay..
That's exactly the case of PS3. At launch, the games performed worse than the X360 version as developers were having hard time in working with the new architecture while X360 is the familiar DirectX with faster hardware being used for many years. And PS3 games performed gradually better as developers gained more experience.

Sure, but that's completely irrelevant to a discussion of PS4 Pro because the console architecture and development platforms are completely the same between PS4 and PS4 Pro.

The primary difference is simply with the GPU's power. That increased GPU power enables better textures and object processing. A developer's comfort with the PS4 architecture is completely transferable to the Pro.

The Pro can, in simple terms, be thought of almost identically to a gaming PC getting a video card upgrade - it won't help with games that aren't designed to take advantage of the expanded capabilities, but many new games will likely have one texture pallete optimized for Pro and one for Vanilla (just like they have done on the PC scene for 20+ years). And that will no doubt be true for standard PS4 games and PSVR games.
What you quoted was a reply to some other nut.

Hardware upgrades can't change the software. The GPU is not VR's problem. This is why I keep saying anything Pro is going to change will be for usual TV's. PSVR was designed for the original PS4. Furthermore you know that screen door effect people talk about? That's the display in the VR itself and while it's hardly noticeable during games THAT is what rubs the edges of fine details to produce that shimmery jaggy effect. It presents itself far less in Battlezone or Tumble than in some of the videos or Kitchen. Throwing more specs at it isn't going to help.

It's going to cost too much for devs to support both so they're going to stick with the biggest userbase - original PS4. Maybe they'll patch it but then there goes your HDD space. In the end there's nothing about the Pro that's good for us or the market. I don't want another crash.

bread's done
Back