Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any connections to the previous games in the series? I've only played Zero though RE4 (and Code Veronica.) I've kinda been slacking on getting started with 5, 6 and both Revelations and Chronicles. Wondering if I'll end up spoiling things or not picking up on some references because I havn't played some of the earlier games.
You'd probably be fine going right to 7. From what I've been told there are only loose ties to the past games, mostly in the form of physical items and events and less so specific characters. I think they reference the viruses and Umbrella in general, from what I've heard. I'm so early in the game, that the only thing I've seen is green herbs.

The character you play as is more of a regular Joe type, kinda like most of the Silent Hill protagonists, so there isn't any real good reason for him to know who Leon Kennedy or Jill Valentine are.

If anyone is picking up or has picked up a PSVR and hasn't bought the move controllers, Walmart has them on clearance for $17.50 for one controller so a pair would be $35 pre-tax. It's very YMMV on whether or not they have it, but it beats the $100 for the two they're trying to peddle now. The only caveat is that they were the singular ones made for the PS3 so you will need a PS3 charging cable to charge them (ones for PS3 controllers will work or you can buy one at walmart if they have it as well). There's also the possibility of the rechargeable batteries inside them to have degraded by now, but I haven't had any issues so far.

I have only had time to put a couple of hours into RE7, but so far it has been fantastic.  This is a game to show off how immersive the psvr can be.  Would like to know what options most are using. So far I still have FOV turned on but smooth moving at 2. I might play around with that a little more.

I played my first 30-40 minutes of RE7 last night.  Its so scary, but really good.  I'm playing with the turning on smooth, the walking speed on normal and the turn speed on 4.  I dont have any issues with motion sickness, but I might end up with a heart attack from this game

Are there any connections to the previous games in the series? I've only played Zero though RE4 (and Code Veronica.) I've kinda been slacking on getting started with 5, 6 and both Revelations and Chronicles. Wondering if I'll end up spoiling things or not picking up on some references because I havn't played some of the earlier games.
The game does exist within the Resident Evil universe, but is pretty self contained for the most part. A few connections pop-up later in the game

Good to hear.

When I finally do get to play the game, I suspect I'll be fine. I've put in quite a few hours in Battlezone, and that game has you moving pretty quick and turning quite a bit due to the tank turret swivel, as a matter of fact there are several times when you find yourself moving the tank in one direction and at the same time free-rotation swiveling in a different direction to shoot at something. If I don't get motion sickness from that, then I wouldn't think I would get it from RE7, where everything is moving much slower. Maybe it's the fear, or the fact that alot of people still don't have enough time spent in VR overall.
I had none to little problem with Battlezone as well, and I thought the same thing, but Robinson had proved me dead wrong. I'm now very cautious when buying VR games and actually training myself with VR on playing some Far Cry 4 and FPS alike...

The game makes me sick every few hours, but I get sick very easily. The most jarring part is when you go head first in a wall, or someone grabs you. Your mind tricks you into thinking you should feel it, but you don't. That makes me more sick than anything else.

Good to hear.

When I finally do get to play the game, I suspect I'll be fine. I've put in quite a few hours in Battlezone, and that game has you moving pretty quick and turning quite a bit due to the tank turret swivel, as a matter of fact there are several times when you find yourself moving the tank in one direction and at the same time free-rotation swiveling in a different direction to shoot at something. If I don't get motion sickness from that, then I wouldn't think I would get it from RE7, where everything is moving much slower. Maybe it's the fear, or the fact that alot of people still don't have enough time spent in VR overall.

Damn, sucks to see it's so hard to play in VR for so many people. I didn't feel physically sick but it probably doesn't help that the game is pretty mentally taxing in general. I didn't think hiding from an old redneck while he runs around telling you he's gonna find you and kill you would be as scary as zombies, but it is.  

I had none to little problem with Battlezone as well, and I thought the same thing, but Robinson had proved me dead wrong. I'm now very cautious when buying VR games and actually training myself with VR on playing some Far Cry 4 and FPS alike...
The mistake that I was making during my brief time with RE7 was walking forward and turning my head at the same time. That's just too much for me after a few minutes. I also got a bit disoriented (directionally) when I did this. I didn't know which way I had just walked from.

Ugh everything I read about PSVR makes me want to get one. I just dont know if the support will be there, plus I'd like to see if Microsoft comes out with something for Scorpio.

Ugh everything I read about PSVR makes me want to get one. I just dont know if the support will be there, plus I'd like to see if Microsoft comes out with something for Scorpio.
It's interesting in that there aren't a ton of major releases on the horizon but at the same time there have been and continue to be alot of PSN releases coming out for it, not to mention with RE7 I think we finally got the first taste of what a full-blown AAA title in VR is like, yet the people that hate on the PSVR are still doing it. I haven't counted the total number of PSVR games available, but I think in less than 6 months we have already gotten more PSVR games than what the Playstation Move got for it's entire existence.

On top of that, we still have Ace Combat and Farpoint to look forward to, as well as the Dirt Rally VR DLC. People love to say it's dead, has no games, etc. just like they say with the Vita though. I'm just gonna keep playing and getting my money's worth.

My philosophy for this aligns with my time with the original Kinect. Had a boatload of fun with it for 2-3 years until it died out. I got my money's worth. There's some obvious differences here (more of a core gamer expierience, but more exspensive), but overall I'm pleased while I fully expect this to be an afterthought in about 3 years.

So how does the vr work with re7? Do you just play it like normal with the controller only you see through the headset?

I can't decide. Do I want to play it first time with better graphics on my tv, or make my first experience with the vr but take the graphical hit?

Like any first-person game except that you can look around in VR. Still left stick to walk, right stick to turn. Although, by default, they have this annoying setting turned on which turns you 30 degrees at a time when using the right stick, but it can be easily turned off by setting rotation to Smooth in the options. I prefer it in VR than on the screen, I don't think it's that much of a graphics boost on the screen. Just download the free Beginning Hour demo and try it, it's a prequel scenario that's not in the main game.

It's interesting in that there aren't a ton of major releases on the horizon but at the same time there have been and continue to be alot of PSN releases coming out for it, not to mention with RE7 I think we finally got the first taste of what a full-blown AAA title in VR is like, yet the people that hate on the PSVR are still doing it. I haven't counted the total number of PSVR games available, but I think in less than 6 months we have already gotten more PSVR games than what the Playstation Move got for it's entire existence.

On top of that, we still have Ace Combat and Farpoint to look forward to, as well as the Dirt Rally VR DLC. People love to say it's dead, has no games, etc. just like they say with the Vita though. I'm just gonna keep playing and getting my money's worth.
Ya it seems a lot of VR PC games are being ported over, and then has a few exclusives.

My philosophy for this aligns with my time with the original Kinect. Had a boatload of fun with it for 2-3 years until it died out. I got my money's worth. There's some obvious differences here (more of a core gamer expierience, but more exspensive), but overall I'm pleased while I fully expect this to be an afterthought in about 3 years.
Ya I really want to try VR but not spend a bunch for a PC setup. I'm thinking I should wait till at least E3 and see what it has on the horizon, and if there are any rumors of Xbox VR.

Does anyone know if Surgeon Simulator ever got patched for better controls/tracking? Considering picking it up from the sale, but reviews at launch are that the controls made it not worth the time.  

There seems to be a big PS+ sale on PSVR titles, so here's the list I wrote up for the other thread ( :ps4: means it doesn't require PSVR):

:ps4: 100ft Robot Golf - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Ace Banana - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: The Assembly - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Battlezone - $41.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Bound - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
The Brookhaven Experiment - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
Carnival Games VR - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Catlateral Damage - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
Harmonix Music VR - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X - $29.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 1st Stage - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7

Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - Season Pass - $27.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7

Headmaster - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Here They Lie - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
HoloBall - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
How We Soar - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Hustle Kings VR - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Loading Human: Chapter 1 - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
NBA 2KVR Experience - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7

Pinball FX2 VR - $11.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
Pinball FX2 VR - Season 1 Pack - $17.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Pixel Gear - $7.69 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Proton Pulse Plus - $6.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration - $29.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
Robinson: The Journey - $41.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Space Rift: Episode 1 - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Sports Bar VR - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Star Wars Battlefront - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7 - Required for Free VR Mission
:ps4: Star Wars Battlefront Deluxe Edition - $14.99 - 60% Off - Ends 2/7 - Required for Free VR Mission
:ps4: Star Wars Battlefront Ultimate Edition - $23.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7 - Required for Free VR Mission
:ps4: Star Wars Battlefront - Season Pass - $17.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
SuperHyperCube - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Super Stardust Ultra VR - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
Surgeon Simulator: Experience Reality - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
Tethered - $26.39 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
Tethered Divine Edition - $30.39 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Thumper - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
Time Machine VR - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Tumble VR - $7.49 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Volume - $4.99 - 75% Off - Ends 2/7
Waddle Home - $6.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Wayward Sky - $11.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
Windlands - $18.74 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7

Two new releases:

Dexed - $9.99

Eagle Flight & Werewolves Within PSVR Bundle - $54.99

There is also a new demo:

Bound

I'll post impressions for things I've played for those that might want to see them. Here are my thoughts on HoloBall and Carnival Games VR from before.

I highly recommend Carnival Games VR while it's 50% off. It's a enjoyable game with little/no motion sickness - and it tracks very well. The wall climb game is almost worth the $10 by itself

Of the games on the PSVR sale, these are the games I've played:

:ps4: 100ft Robot Golf - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Battlezone - $41.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Bound - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
Carnival Games VR - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 1st Stage - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7

Headmaster - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
HoloBall - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
Loading Human: Chapter 1 - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7

Pinball FX2 VR - $11.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
Space Rift: Episode 1 - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Sports Bar VR - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Star Wars Battlefront - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7 - Required for Free VR Mission
SuperHyperCube - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Super Stardust Ultra VR - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Volume - $4.99 - 75% Off - Ends 2/7

I also own but haven't played:

:ps4: The Assembly - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Catlateral Damage - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
Harmonix Music VR - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7

Pixel Gear - $7.69 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration - $29.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Thumper - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7

The games I'd easily recommend:

Battlezone - The only cockpit game I've played that hasn't given me issues. It plays really well and the devs have supported it well post launch with a Classic mode to give it the vector-style look of the original.

Carnival Games VR - Might be a surprising choice, but Carnival Games VR is a really well made showcase with great tracking for its motion controls a lineup of carnival games that only has two or three duds. It's just a fun pick up and play game.

Headmaster - A simple concept that is well executed as you take on a variety of challenges in this soccer internment camp to learn how to make header goals with a bit of a silly sense of humor.

HoloBall - A mix of Pong and Racquetball that is another game with great tracking and one of the few PSVR games with some form of Room Scale. It's a fun arcade-style game with a great sense of style.

Pinball FX2 VR - Lets you play three of Zen Studios' original tables in a cool, expensive loft that changes based on the table you're playing.

SuperHyperCube - One of the best PSVR games around as a puzzle game version of Hole in the Wall where you have to peer around the transforming cube you're controlling to see how you should twist and turn it to fit into the oncoming hole. It has just the one mode, but it's a great fit for VR.

Volume - This MGS VR Mission-style stealth game is turned into a holographic projection that you can control to play all of the original levels plus a number of exclusive levels that are only available if you play it with PSVR.

Thoughts on the other games I've played:

100ft Robot Golf - Fun, silly golf game that is probably better played the old fashioned way.

Bound - A great 3D, artsy platformer whose camera stays stationary until you reset it, which may have been changed in a update since then. It's great for the vibe and style of the game, but that doesn't require PSVR to experience that.
Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 1st Stage - Great for fans of the Hatsune Miku music, as this is largely a VR HM concert game where you're in the audience. There are some interactive bits where you can affect the performance and maybe get a special one-on-one performance at the end. The trophies require a lot of replaying the concert.

Loading Human: Chapter 1 - Enjoyed this as a first-person adventure game with plenty of physics silliness to be had in the first few areas. I had a little bit of VR sickness from the weird locomotion, but it was fine otherwise.

Space Rift: Episode 1 - Haven't played much of it, but it was a neat space ship action/adventure game from what I saw.
Sports Bar VR - Social sandbox game that is pretty cool, but loses some of its appeal without others around for the MP games it offers. It does offer a lot of silly physics fun to be had if you want to make a mess in a sports bar.
Star Wars Battlefront - Paid less for this to play the free VR Mission, so you could wait for a slightly cheaper price for what's largely a single mission experience if you're not interested in the base game. The mission itself is really well done and a lot of fun for about 20 minutes. 
Super Stardust Ultra VR - Lets you play all of the original game's content from a top-down view that works really well. There is also a special VR cockpit mode that is cool and very different from the base game, but this has been pretty consistent in giving me VR sickness when I've played it a few times.

I've done a number of PSVR videos on the SmashPad Youtube channel if you want to see some of these games along with others in action.

Is the worlds the "launch bundle"? It appears that Until Dawn bundle is a new official sku? It has a release date of 2/21.

Hopefully this means their won't be a supply shortage anymore.

My RE7 just came and wife informed me steelbook survived the trip across the ocean. Has anyone been able to play the DLC? Is it worth it from a VR perspective?

Regarding Loading Human: Chapter 1.   Is this a complete game?   How many more chapters are there?  If they are planning to make more chapters at $40 a pop, I'm not going to support them by buying chapter one.

Regarding Loading Human: Chapter 1. Is this a complete game? How many more chapters are there? If they are planning to make more chapters at $40 a pop, I'm not going to support them by buying chapter one.
Just got this from Gamefly, will try either tonight or tomorrow. Not sure if it's self a contained story or not though

Regarding Loading Human: Chapter 1. Is this a complete game? How many more chapters are there? If they are planning to make more chapters at $40 a pop, I'm not going to support them by buying chapter one.
Yes, it's a full game, about 4-5 hours long. Since we haven't gotten Summer Lesson, it's also the closest thing to a waifu simulator on psvr...

My 9 year old loves it. I am certain he played it for at least 2 hours on a Saturday. I have never tried it but he loved the demo so i used Speedway points on a couple of PS cards and bought the game.

quote name="Thatguy1513" post="13618342" timestamp="1486044616"]

The odds of you getting $30 out of by yourself are slim, but it's one of the best introductory vr titles to show friends and family. That adds value if you're trying to showcase ps vr[/quote]

It also looks like the new firmware will support external HDs up to 8 TB for the PS4.
I was about to update my son's ps4 to 2tb. never had an xbox. can anyone briefly explain how this might work? if you have an external hooked up, it would just load games and saves as quickly as if on the machine itself? any negatives associated with using an external with your gaming device?

I was about to update my son's ps4 to 2tb. never had an xbox. can anyone briefly explain how this might work? if you have an external hooked up, it would just load games and saves as quickly as if on the machine itself? any negatives associated with using an external with your gaming device?
I have an Xbox but haven't used an external HD for it. It's my understanding that it's plug and play and that the response time is faster than the internal HD. Not sure if you can actually tell the difference.

The PS4 can save to an external drive but you can't play the games off of an external drive, you would have to move (reinstall) them back to the internal. Someone once explained the whole thing to me, it had to do with the way the unit processes the information and the reason the XB1 can but the PS4 cannot has something to do with Microsoft having the proprietary rights to some of the tech involved.

You'll probably have to wait for people to get into the beta for 4.50, as there were no real specifics offered for how the implementation on PS4 works or differs from what Xbox One does.

bread's done
Back