Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the updates Tanuki. Has anyone tried either of the oasis bundles? Anything worth grabbing or is it shovelware
Pixel Gear was a fun wave shooter. I think I got it the first time it went on sale and I don't regret it. A little rough around the edges.

While I'm still looking for some big announcements as E3, assuming Sony is holding back for the show I'm quite impressed at how consistently thy are filling out the VR ecosystem. We're getting a new VR announcement every other day right now and it looks like late summer will have multiple releases every week. That's pretty good considering it's been less than a year.
Most of these announcements aren't really through Sony. It's a lot of VR devs announcing their projects for one or all three headsets before E3 to get out there before the big games take over the headlines.

https://www.amazon.com/Psychonauts-Rhombus-Ruin-PlayStation-4/dp/B0728JQ1T9/

Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin is getting a physical release on June 13th, up now on Amazon. $29.99 and comes with a code for the original Psychonauts.

Fun little point and click game that captures the Psychonauts feel perfectly. NOT worth $30 though. I'm pretty bonkers about the original but felt $20 for the digital VR game was a bit pricey. If you can get this disc via Gamefly or share the disc with a friend or resell it at a decent price then it's worth it.
up at best buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/psychonauts-in-the-rhombus-of-ruin-playstation-4/5901303.p?skuId=5901303

Job Simulator is sold out at Best Buy and unlikely to be restocked. I was going to wait for a sale and pick it up.
I wasn't even planning to wait for a sale, just didn't get around to it and acted too slow myself. Really don't want to pay full price but am wanting this since it looks great and a good entertain company or "show off" VR game. I also don't want to go digital either I rarely do unless the price is ridiculously cheaper than physical.

I'm guessing the print run will be similarly low for Psychonauts too. If you are a stickler for physical like myself you may want to jump on it, otherwise I could see this going quite low on PSN digitally in the future.

I wasn't even planning to wait for a sale, just didn't get around to it and acted too slow myself. Really don't want to pay full price but am wanting this since it looks great and a good entertain company or "show off" VR game. I also don't want to go digital either I rarely do unless the price is ridiculously cheaper than physical.

I'm guessing the print run will be similarly low for Psychonauts too. If you are a stickler for physical like myself you may want to jump on it, otherwise I could see this going quite low on PSN digitally in the future.
I mostly prefer physical for the resale factor, especially if it's a short game like this that I'm unlikely to play through again. I might as well hop on this before it sells out.

I mostly prefer physical for the resale factor, especially if it's a short game like this that I'm unlikely to play through again. I might as well hop on this before it sells out.
Yup that's my thinking as well. If it's short or terrible, I can recoup some of the costs, and if I like it I have something to cherish or collect.

I pre-ordered Rhombus of Ruin on Amazon a couple of days ago and while it's not telling me that the game is out of stock, it won't tell me when I'm going to get it, it's basically just saying I'll be notified when it ships, which doesn't make sense because it's supposed to release on the 13th. Usually they tell you when the game will ship, for example I already have a shipping date for Crash Bandicoot at the end of this month. I'm wondering if they were allocated a really low amount of Rhombus of Ruin and sold through the pre-order stock already.  

Anybody hear anything about a Farpoint Bundle restock anytime soon (preferably Bestbuy)? I couldn't find anything. I was going to hold off on it for a while in order to get through some backlog first but just found out my cousin who has PSVR is graduating as valedictorian of his class so I want to get him an awesome graduation present and I know he wants Farpoint.

His graduation party is on the 24th, so I hoping to scoop up a bundle before then for him.

Anybody hear anything about a Farpoint Bundle restock anytime soon (preferably Bestbuy)? I couldn't find anything. I was going to hold off on it for a while in order to get through some backlog first but just found out my cousin who has PSVR is graduating as valedictorian of his class so I want to get him an awesome graduation present and I know he wants Farpoint.

His graduation party is on the 24th, so I hoping to scoop up a bundle before then for him.
I saw a tweet at some point but it was pretty vague. I grabbed the last one I could find on brickseek Sunday, I think its worth the extra 16$ you miss from gcu, I've just started doing vr but it's an amazing game and controller

I'll be real -- I don't know really anything about the Playstation VR, but my girlfriend is super hype about the Trek game and so I'm trying to pull together the funds to buy the hardware for her birthday next month. 

1. Does/has the hardware ever gone on sale?

2. Amazon has the headset + "free" camera available for $399. Is it worth it, or should I just jump on the Launch Bundle?

3. Are there any other must-have titles for the Playstation VR? As much as I'd like to throw out $400 for my gf to play one game, I'd like to be sure there's at least a few other titles she'll want to play on it before I start selling off some of my collection.

Thanks in advance for any answers/opinions you can provide. :)

I'll be real -- I don't know really anything about the Playstation VR, but my girlfriend is super hype about the Trek game and so I'm trying to pull together the funds to buy the hardware for her birthday next month.

2. Amazon has the headset + "free" camera available for $399. Is it worth it, or should I just jump on the Launch Bundle?

3. Are there any other must-have titles for the Playstation VR? As much as I'd like to throw out $400 for my gf to play one game, I'd like to be sure there's at least a few other titles she'll want to play on it before I start selling off some of my collection.

My list of recommendations that I wrote previously:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/357318-psn-weekly-deals-66-six-new-games-for-ps-kf2-lis-neon-chrome-more-days-of-play-sale-begins-69/page-114#entry13714522

I would grab the Amazon deal with free camera then find your own Move Controllers. The move controllers are definitely key for the Best Star Trek experience, although I can't imagine the game without them they are not technically mandatory for Star Trek. If you get the move controllers I would also recommend Until Dawn Rush of Blood, it's a very good light gun style game.

I would grab the Amazon deal with free camera then find your own Move Controllers. The move controllers are definitely key for the Best Star Trek experience, although I can't imagine the game without them they are not technically mandatory for Star Trek. If you get the move controllers I would also recommend Until Dawn Rush of Blood, it's a very good light gun style game.
What are some of the cons of VR? Like does your head/eyes hurt after awhile

Some people experience nausea, but I haven't really. I've never had any issues with motion sickness in life either though. Depending on what you are playing it can be pretty draining, and doesn't really hurt my eyes, but if I play for a while they will definitely feel fatigued, but don't hurt at all.

I was able to get a refurbished vr and move controllers at gamestop totalling around $410 all together before tax. I had trade credit and bought a few gift cards when they were $85 for $100. The camera I bought from bb awhile back when there was a coupon.

I've seen it go for cheep on Craig's list, eBay, and I think newegg but if you want to stay safe get the bundle. The move controllers alone are $100 retail for 2.

I finally got to spend some quality time with Time Machine VR tonight.  I've been playing Farpoint ever since I got it, but I wanted a change of pace tonight and I remembered I bought Time Machine VR awhile back so I finally got to spend some time with it tonight.

I wasn't sure how good it would be since I never see anyone talk about it, but I can honestly say I enjoyed every second of it. It's more of an interactive science lesson than a game, but it's really cool. It reminds me of something you'd find if you went to a science museum and they had a virtual reality exhibit. Or an interactive educational television program like you'd find on the Discovery Channel.

If you have even the slightest interest in science and/or prehistoric creatures, I strongly recommend it. I'm not a big science fan, but I still found it really captivating. I can understand how some people may be hesitant because of the $29.99 price tag, but I think it's worth it. To me, it's more about the experience and less about the price. I have no regrets buying it.

Personally, I would go with the Launch Bundle. It comes with everything you need plus PlayStation VR Worlds which is a must have IMO.

1. I've never seen it go on sale except for "bundle pricing" deals. Around Christmas time it went out of stock and no one could get one for like 2 months. There's been enough demand that they haven't needed to have any real sale.

2. The camera deal is another bundle like I mentioned. Saves 40 or 50 bucks. It doesn't force you to buy a specific game with it so that's a pretty good option.

3. PSVR Worlds is an essential launch title. It has enough variety on it to cater to people who are serious and those who just want to "experience" VR. Other great games: Rush of Blood, Battlezone, Farpoint, Resident Evil 7 (of course), Eve Valkyrie, Gunjack, and I'm sure there are others but I haven't played many of the digital games yet.

After a long session of Farpoint (2 hours) it started getting hard for me to look through the scope of the gun. My eyes got tired and felt pretty strained so I had to stop. 2 hours is quite awhile in VR though. I think most people probably only play like 30-45 minute sessions.

As far as sickness, I've never really gotten sick. I have felt weird and kinda "off" a couple of times after playing Resident Evil 7 but I think that was less about motion sickness and more about the anxiety of playing the game in such an immersive way. As fun as RE7 is, it's actually kind of stressful to play. My longest sessions on that game were only about an hour while I played Farpoint much longer due to the straightforward nature of it.

never seen it on sale and i hear that the hd cords it comes with usually are crap so people recommend getting 2.1 hdmi cables instead, i personally am waiting to see what they say a e3 to see if an improved version is getting released or they have a sale since the ps4 is on sale

Anyone have a recommendation for a PSVR stand? I'm leaning towards: Collective Minds PSVR Showcase Rapid AC PS4 VR Charge & Display Stand.
dont know about any of those, the one i bought but havent set up is a fold up clear head i imported

Anyone have a recommendation for a PSVR stand? I'm leaning towards: Collective Minds PSVR Showcase Rapid AC PS4 VR Charge & Display Stand.
That was one of the two I debated when I got my PSVR at launch. I ultimately decided to go with the PowerA one instead:

https://www.amazon.com/POWER-Charge-Display-Station-PlayStation-VR/dp/B01LB4KGOS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496840862&sr=8-2&keywords=psvr+stand

I liked the more minimalist and streamlined look of the PowerA unit and I already have a charging and storage setup for my DS4s and Headsets, so I didn't need an all-in-one unit like that.

1. I've never seen it go on sale except for "bundle pricing" deals. Around Christmas time it went out of stock and no one could get one for like 2 months. There's been enough demand that they haven't needed to have any real sale.

2. The camera deal is another bundle like I mentioned. Saves 40 or 50 bucks. It doesn't force you to buy a specific game with it so that's a pretty good option.

3. PSVR Worlds is an essential launch title. It has enough variety on it to cater to people who are serious and those who just want to "experience" VR. Other great games: Rush of Blood, Battlezone, Farpoint, Resident Evil 7 (of course), Eve Valkyrie, Gunjack, and I'm sure there are others but I haven't played many of the digital games yet.
It was on sale last week for $340 in the US

That was one of the two I debated when I got my PSVR at launch. I ultimately decided to go with the PowerA one instead:

https://www.amazon.com/POWER-Charge-Display-Station-PlayStation-VR/dp/B01LB4KGOS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496840862&sr=8-2&keywords=psvr+stand

I liked the more minimalist and streamlined look of the PowerA unit and I already have a charging and storage setup for my DS4s and Headsets, so I didn't need an all-in-one unit like that.
Thanks for the feedback. I also looked into the Power A stand. My only concern are the comments about how the headset may not fit securely on the stand and may fall off. How has your experience been?

Thanks for the feedback. I also looked into the Power A stand. My only concern are the comments about how the headset may not fit securely on the stand and may fall off. How has your experience been?
I'm not sure what people are doing with it that would be unsturdy. I suppose if I put the stand on top of an exercise ball it wouldn't hold up. Honestly, I haven't had mine fall off and it seems pretty secure. It has a little notch in the back to secure the strap and a faux forehead rest in the front so it's almost like putting the headset on a mannequin head. Maybe people having issues aren't activating the little "auto-fit" button on the headset after setting it on the stand - without tightening the headset up, there wouldn't be any resistance to hold it in place properly.

I'm not sure what people are doing with it that would be unsturdy. I suppose if I put the stand on top of an exercise ball it wouldn't hold up. Honestly, I haven't had mine fall off and it seems pretty secure. It has a little notch in the back to secure the strap and a faux forehead rest in the front so it's almost like putting the headset on a mannequin head. Maybe people having issues aren't activating the little "auto-fit" button on the headset after setting it on the stand - without tightening the headset up, there wouldn't be any resistance to hold it in place properly.
Got it. Thanks again!

I have the power A and it works fine for me. As Callidus said, I use it more like a manequin head and actually strap the headset on. At the point in time, the strap has enough give that leaving it secured for an extended period of time would have a negative effect. Only issue I have is one dualshock will not charge on the base but having 3 it's the only one and I chalk it up to the controller despite both being rather new.

I have the power A and it works fine for me. As Callidus said, I use it more like a manequin head and actually strap the headset on. At the point in time, the strap has enough give that leaving it secured for an extended period of time would have a negative effect. Only issue I have is one dualshock will not charge on the base but having 3 it's the only one and I chalk it up to the controller despite both being rather new.
Appreciate the feedback

Thanks so much for the info, guys! I'm going to continue watching this thread as I continue selling with the hopes of some sort of VR deal. I'm leaning towards the Launch Bundle, and so far have pulled together 20% of the cost before taxes (ouch!). Think I may be able to swing it, especially after I start pulling out pieces from my gaming collection to sell.

Thanks so much for the info, guys! I'm going to continue watching this thread as I continue selling with the hopes of some sort of VR deal. I'm leaning towards the Launch Bundle, and so far have pulled together 20% of the cost before taxes (ouch!). Think I may be able to swing it, especially after I start pulling out pieces from my gaming collection to sell.
I'm not 100% certain, but I believe there was at least one other sale recently in addition to the $340 one I mentioned previously. I'm sure you will find one on sale again sooner or later.

If you happen to find yourself at a Wal-Mart store, it wouldn't hurt to check what their price is. Two days ago, someone on Reddit posted a picture of some launch bundles and headsets on clearance at their Wal-Mart store.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6fh0fb/i_found_psvr_on_clearance_at_walmart/?st=j3nl2jsc&sh=7d4d8d1e

It's probably extremely YMMV, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

If you are a Costco member you can get just the headset for 350. Would prolly suggest the bundle with camera+moves though if you have none of that. Or you could make the argument to get a farpoint bundle+camera with just the headset.... But you will probably want the moves sooner or later.

I just bought mine last week because I was impatient, but I would wait till post e3 if I were you. They may announce something like moves with joysticks or a price drop. Who knows

Also extremely YMMV, but you might be able to find the Move wands for way cheaper by hitting up pawn shops or secondhand type stores, maybe used video game stores. I got my move wands from a pawn shop for 8 bucks each plus a docking station. It uses the same exact ones as the PS3, so there are probably still quite a few floating around out there from people who bought the Move and dumped it after they stopped making games for it. Of course that's only relevant if you decide not to get the bundle. 

Launch bundle currently $412.99 on Rakuten.com

https://www.rakuten.com/prod/ps4-playstation-vr-worlds-bndl/q/sellerid/44942010/309322488.html

I'm not familiar with Rakuten so I don't know how reputable they are, but I thought I'd share this in case anyone is interested.
This looks like a great deal -- and I'm pretty sure I won't get hit with taxes (bonus!), but I'm also reluctant over that 88% feedback rating for that particular seller. Apparently sifting through it most of the complaints come from buyers who purchased codes, so I'm waffling on whether or not to make the plunge.

I have two games pending sale today that will get me a little over halfway to where I'd need to be for a full-price bundle... going to give myself to the 12th to make a decision.

Thanks again to everyone who continues to bring their deals/tips to the table. We're normally not very big gift-givers (I usually don't spend more than $150 for any major holiday), but Trek is basically her lifeblood and I'm pretty sure she'd have a Kristen Bell/Sloth level meltdown if I'm able to make this happen.

This looks like a great deal -- and I'm pretty sure I won't get hit with taxes (bonus!), but I'm also reluctant over that 88% feedback rating for that particular seller. Apparently sifting through it most of the complaints come from buyers who purchased codes, so I'm waffling on whether or not to make the plunge.

I have two games pending sale today that will get me a little over halfway to where I'd need to be for a full-price bundle... going to give myself to the 12th to make a decision.

Thanks again to everyone who continues to bring their deals/tips to the table. We're normally not very big gift-givers (I usually don't spend more than $150 for any major holiday), but Trek is basically her lifeblood and I'm pretty sure she'd have a Kristen Bell/Sloth level meltdown if I'm able to make this happen.
I'm assuming you are selling retro games? I am looking for a few Saturn games in particular if that's the case. If I can help you get to your goal that way, let me know.

I'm assuming you are selling retro games? I am looking for a few Saturn games in particular if that's the case. If I can help you get to your goal that way, let me know.
Thanks for the interest! Not that old -- sadly a lot of my vintage collection is still at my mom's place back in New Orleans. I think the only Saturn game I have on-hand is the Record of Lodoss War. I spent a bunch of my early 20s working at Rhino Video Games (until it was bought out by GameStop), then contracted for Nintendo when I moved to Seattle, so I have a ton of games and random merch that is just gathering dust.

I'm probably going to continue to sort through things this weekend, but here's the list of stuff I pulled last night:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/363132-h-tons-of-ds-3ds-wii-wii-u-psp-ps2-and-ps3-games-some-sealed-w-paypal-playstation-vr/

Thanks for the interest! Not that old -- sadly a lot of my vintage collection is still at my mom's place back in New Orleans. I think the only Saturn game I have on-hand is the Record of Lodoss War. I spent a bunch of my early 20s working at Rhino Video Games (until it was bought out by GameStop), then contracted for Nintendo when I moved to Seattle, so I have a ton of games and random merch that is just gathering dust.

I'm probably going to continue to sort through things this weekend, but here's the list of stuff I pulled last night:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/363132-h-tons-of-ds-3ds-wii-wii-u-psp-ps2-and-ps3-games-some-sealed-w-paypal-playstation-vr/
Interested in a couple things. I'll respond to the other thread.

Just picked up a PS VR today, any game recommendations? So far I have Until Dawn Rush of Blood and Star Wars battlefront and I'm planning on picking up Rez when I get home.  

Also has Sony fixed the HDR issue when using PS VR with a PS4 Pro?

Just picked up a PS VR today, any game recommendations? So far I have Until Dawn Rush of Blood and Star Wars battlefront and I'm planning on picking up Rez when I get home.

Also has Sony fixed the HDR issue when using PS VR with a PS4 Pro?
That's not something that can be fixed without replacing the entire breakout box. Sony cheaped out on the HDMI splitter.

bread's done
Back