Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am in the minority, but I've watched gameplay videos of Superhot and it doesn't interest me much at all.

If it goes on sale, I may give it a try.  But it doesn't look like it's worth $25 to me.

Hard to say really. If you have the expendable cash, the Best Buy deal is pretty good at $350. You will need to have the Move controllers and camera to go along with it. It's not a cheap endeavor by any means, but in my mind, it's cheaper than building a PC and getting a Vive/Rift.

Overall, it's all about how bad you want to have VR in your life.
I just wonder if it's much better than the Vive, experience-wise. I've tried the Vive before at a M$ store, and it was actually pretty engaging (not that I'd expect any less from an $800 headset).

Newegg via eBay has the VR world bundle. Headset, camera, move controllers and the game for 399.99. That's a solid deal right there.
I'll see if I can convert my iPhones from GS trade-in credit deal into cash soon. Does it retain its value well in the marketplace?

Hey everyone, I know frisky has already put up a video with his thoughts but I thought I'd put up the first level with some appropriate kick ass music to give you a better feel of the game. I edited it to include every section being passed on first try. 

https://youtu.be/jp6AwXRlYrI

lowkey subscribe  :whistle2:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/21/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-7252017/

A bunch of PSVR games are out this week:

Heroes of the Seven Seas - Steam Page
PS VR — Digital

Play as a pirate seeking the legendary Seven Sea Artifacts in a vivid VR world.

Infinite Minigolf
PS4, PS VR — Digital

Have fun in Infinite Minigolf, a never-ending minigolf experience! Take part in tournaments and challenges, use arcade-style powerups, and experience unique gameplay, great graphics, and more.

Smashbox Arena
PS VR — Digital

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=442UtTTQX9s

An action-packed multiplayer VR game, Smashbox Arena throws players into a shootout battle of team versus team, power-up versus power-up. Combatants can play single-player, party up with their friends, or face off against opponents across the globe.

Theseus
PS VR — Digital (Out 7/26)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNaSNPXyoU

Theseus is an immersive VR experience that offers a new take on the myth of the Minotaur. Enjoy a mix of exploration, story, and combat, with a strong cinematic feel. Do you have what it takes to unveil the truth that lies at the heart of the Labyrinth?

Tiny Trax
PS VR — Digital

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twZuRK65yyM

pic racing in a tiny world! Childhood imagination comes to life as tiny racers boost around your body, jump overhead and drift around bends inches from your face!

I just wonder if it's much better than the Vive, experience-wise. I've tried the Vive before at a M$ store, and it was actually pretty engaging (not that I'd expect any less from an $800 headset).
If you already have a gaming PC, get a Rift or Vive and enjoy some roomscale and a larger library.

That's ridiculous. I'm down for Theseus if it gets decent reviews. Still need to play Superhot.

If you already have a gaming PC, get a Rift or Vive and enjoy some roomscale and a larger library.
The crazy Rift deal going on makes it a better option if you have the space. I'm amazed and impressed they cut price that deeply already. That said, I've kinda of gotten accustomed to the weaker PSVR experience and might prefer the ecosystem at this point. If I had started with a Rift I probably wouldn't feel that way.

I have a laptop with GTX 1060, which has been touted around as a VR-ready computer (albeit at the entry level). Is that count?
Ehh, I can't say, but I'd recommend some research on how that card has worked for others. Although I don't think it'd be wise to depend on a laptop for VR.

Over on Reddit people are saying a patch was released for AZ Sunshine that fixes most of the aiming and tracking issues. People are also saying that you can now use a reticle when aiming similar to Farpoint, I guess if you want more than just the iron sights. Can anyone here confirm that info? Does the game feel significantly improved?

I bought AZ Sunshine the other day. Could barely play because of the issues tracking the aim controller. I'll give it a shot after work and see how much the patch fixed. Will report back later

Got a video for Theseus out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ryQqvzc9I

It takes until the end of the video for me to get the sword, so I didn't get to try out the action part of the game just yet. I'll post more impressions as I play more of it.

Got a video for Theseus out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ryQqvzc9I

It takes until the end of the video for me to get the sword, so I didn't get to try out the action part of the game just yet. I'll post more impressions as I play more of it.
So it looks gorgeous but has a pretty slow start. Does it feel like it's going to pick up? Have played since the last video you posted? I'll probably get MiniGolf, Tiny Trax, and this if it turns out to be about 20 bucks and at least 3-4 hours.

So it looks gorgeous but has a pretty slow start. Does it feel like it's going to pick up? Have played since the last video you posted? I'll probably get MiniGolf, Tiny Trax, and this if it turns out to be about 20 bucks and at least 3-4 hours.
The video is all I've played since I got the code during yesterday afternoon. It should pick up since I'll have a sword to fight back against monsters instead of wandering in the dark with a torch waving off creepy spider monsters. No idea on price since nothing like that has been disclosed with the code or embargo info.

Is there an accurate list of what games the AIM controller works with?   I don't trust random internet sites to have correct (non-first hand) info.

Is there an accurate list of what games the AIM controller works with? I don't trust random internet sites to have correct (non-first hand) info.
Farpoint

Dick Wilde

Arizona Sunshine

The Brookhaven Experiment

Those are the only four I'm aware of that are supporting it right now. I think a couple of other devs are considering patches to use it on other existing games, and of course there are some upcoming releases that will be compatible with it.

The video is all I've played since I got the code during yesterday afternoon. It should pick up since I'll have a sword to fight back against monsters instead of wandering in the dark with a torch waving off creepy spider monsters. No idea on price since nothing like that has been disclosed with the code or embargo info.
The reddit reviews are finally popping up and it appears to be painfully short (around 90 minutes). I want to support these high production VR games but considering MiniGolf and Tiny Trax are budget priced, well reviewed, substantially longer I'll probably wait for a sale.

There are few new sales this week on some of the new releases:

Dying: Reborn Ultimate Bundle - $14.99 - 40% Off - Ends 8/1

Heroes of the Seven Seas - $6.29 - 10% Off - Ends 8/8

Infinite Minigolf - $13.49 - 10% Off - Ends 7/31

Resident Evil 7 biohazard - $35.99 - 40% Off - Ends 8/1

Resident Evil 7 biohazard Deluxe Edition - $62.99 - 30% Off - Ends 8/1

Resident Evil 7 biohazard - Season Pass - $23.99 - 40% Off - Ends 8/1

Resident Evil 7 biohazard - Banned Footage Vol. 1 - $6.99 - 30% Off - Ends 8/1

Resident Evil 7 biohazard - Banned Footage Vol. 2 - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 8/1

Tiny Trax - $17.99 - 10% Off - Ends 7/31

The other two releases:

Digital Domain’s Monkey King - $9.99

Smashbox Arena - $29.99

The reddit reviews are finally popping up and it appears to be painfully short (around 90 minutes). I want to support these high production VR games but considering MiniGolf and Tiny Trax are budget priced, well reviewed, substantially longer I'll probably wait for a sale.
I've read that combat is basically just quick time events. The game sounded good, but QTE gameplay is kind of boring.

Thoughts on Dying: Reborn?
I haven't played it but the reviews are really poor. Weird anecdote is that apparently it's one of the prettier Vita games released in the last couple years. The VR version is apparently a stripped down version of the full game as well so don't know what you miss with just VR.

I bought and played a few games that I thought I'd throw a couple of impressions out for.

Tiny Trax - is fantastic but 18 bucks is pretty steep. There are 12 courses I believe and the gameplay is addictive and easy. That said, the actual game is quite difficult because the margin of error is extremely low. In twenty minutes I found I was already struggling to pay to attention to the great visuals because the gameplay is very meter dependent and you have to watch your boost and turning constantly. If I can get good enough at it I think I I'll love it because it has a plat and working the timed trophies could be fun. That said, I had similar experience with Dick Wilde and deleted it after not seeing any improvement.

Time Machine VR - Got this on sale and I like it a whole lot more than I thought I would. It feels 1st gen now with so much newer stuff out but is built like a theme park ride with a pretty cool theme. Bad FMV is a nice plus if you enjoy the camp rather than cringe at the bad acting.

Super Hot - I played the non VR version so I was excited to see how really different this was. I didn't know you were in a static position unlike the 2D version but what they did with it was fantastic. It's probably the best overall VR game for PSVR outside of RE7 and obviously better if you don't like the horror genre.

Made a video on Unearthing Mars where I found out why it was not well received:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6iCsYZSoSM

Hint: It's kind of boring.

Super Hot - I played the non VR version so I was excited to see how really different this was. I didn't know you were in a static position unlike the 2D version but what they did with it was fantastic. It's probably the best overall VR game for PSVR outside of RE7 and obviously better if you don't like the horror genre.
That's encouraging. Been looking forward to it but I was still a bit on the fence. The question now is should I go ahead and buy or wait a bit in hopes for a physical edition release. I try to buy as little as possible digital products as I like owning hard copies of all my games. Job Simulator eventually got a physical release and Volume is getting a physical release through LRG. Would be nice if this did.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/28/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-812017/

Two new PSVR games coming next week:

CastleStorm VR Edition
PS VR — Digital

Catapult yourself onto the battlefield like never before in CastleStorm VR, an exciting new take on the tower-defense action-RPG phenomenon! Pit knights, soldiers, archers, and even griffins against formidable foes in full VR castle versus castle combat.

Dino Frontier
PS VR — Digital

Build and manage a frontier settlement in a world where the wild west and jurassic collide. Dino Frontier is a virtual reality simulation where players assume the role of Big Mayor. They must carefully balance resources while growing their town and surviving bandit attacks.
Trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV6C1lTxlyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJhHoZDfvc4

CastleStorm looks like a straight port to PSVR, so you're just the camera with more freedom to look around at the sidescrolling levels.

Dino Frontier looks like A Kingdom for Keflings, but in the Wild West with dinosaurs in it.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/03/playstation-store-julys-top-downloads-2/

The Top Downloads list for July is out now, so here's the PSVR list and how it compares to June:

1. Superhot VR (Debut)
  2. Arizona Sunshine (1)
  3. PlayStation VR Worlds (3)
  4. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (4)
  5. Job Simulator (6)
  6. Tumble VR (10)
  7. The Bellows (Debut)
  8. Surgeon Simulator: Experience Reality (-)
  9. Archangel (Debut)
  10. The Brookhaven Experiment (-)
Nice to see Superhot VR do well for its debut.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Made a new video for Air Force Special Ops Nightfall, which is better and more involved than I thought it would be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRj2PB-Iy4

I've had it for a little while and really love it. It's really a mind-blowing experience when you first try it and then the games have been good enough to keep me coming back for more. Superhot VR might be the coolest game I've ever played in my entire life

Is VR taking off ? I'm curious if people who have it are happy with it ?
I think there will be healthy support for VR and PSVR specifically for the next 3 years. After that it needs to be cheaper and better by a decent margin to really converge with the games market in general. You should try and play a PSVR or any VR headset if you can. If you like it I can say the experience never seems to get old. I really thought it would and it doesn't. In terms of games here's what I think the landscape looks like for the next couple of years:

1. Mostly 2nd and 3rd gen smaller VR games that are shorter (2-4 hours), cheaper (20-30 bucks), and have production in line with the better indie stuff.
2. Full conversion ports (Skyrim) or complete games with a VR mode for the whole game (RE7, Dirt Rally).
3. Full fledged $60 games (Battlezone, Eve: Valykrie)f

I'd say number 3 may still not be true as even though those games had sizable development teams for VR they are much smaller than most AAA development and the games are much smaller in scope. At this stage every week appears to have an interesting release but VR gaming will be something you do in addition to regular gaming and not replace it. I still think it should be around 300 to improve adoption and I can see a price drop happening this xmas. I don't reget buying it a bit even though I spend maybe 2 hours a week on it.

The only reason I haven't bought a PSVR is the overwhelming reports of issues with the PSPro.  Best I can tell, those are still ongoing and unresolved, and I'm not going to drop $500 to find out for myself.

The only reason I haven't bought a PSVR is the overwhelming reports of issues with the PSPro. Best I can tell, those are still ongoing and unresolved, and I'm not going to drop $500 to find out for myself.
I'm just wondering what issues you're speaking of. I've had my PSVR for a month or so with my Pro and haven't had a single issue with either game play or connectivity.

The only reason I haven't bought a PSVR is the overwhelming reports of issues with the PSPro. Best I can tell, those are still ongoing and unresolved, and I'm not going to drop $500 to find out for myself.
I have a PS4 Pro and PSVR and have no clue what you're talking about.

I've heard rumblings around of an HDMI handshake issue that causes the PSVR to black out or have audio problems.  Like others, I've had no issues either.

The problem is that the PSVR PU (breakout box) does not pass through HDR. Basically you can't have a PSVR hooked up with a pro to a 4k TV and have HDR. There are some workarounds detailed in this neogaf thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340168

I went with the IBIS switch solution myself. Unfortunately it eats another HDMI port on your TV and it's kind of inelegant - but it seems to work okay.

So I got my PSVR 2 weeks ago and I've noticed that the peripheral vision has shrunk since I first used it. As in when I first used it I felt my field of view was included more of the gaming area but during recent sessions it seems more like I'm looking through binoculars where I see more of the round edges at either side of my eyes.

Is that something people have encountered? Is that even something that can happen using this technology? Or is this all in my head?

The problem is that the PSVR PU (breakout box) does not pass through HDR. Basically you can't have a PSVR hooked up with a pro to a 4k TV and have HDR. There are some workarounds detailed in this neogaf thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340168

I went with the IBIS switch solution myself. Unfortunately it eats another HDMI port on your TV and it's kind of inelegant - but it seems to work okay.
Thanks for that link. So if I understand it correctly, the issue is that the PSVR PU needs to be powered on, even just to pass through the signal from non-VR gaming, and although the PS4 supports HDR which requires HDMI 2.0, the PSVR PU only supports HDMI 1.4 -- thus the widespread handshake issues.

How could they release flagship hardware touting HDR and then fail so spectacularly to support it? That is just an incredible oversight on Sony's part.

I assume people not having issues just don't have HDR sets connected.

Made another video of one of the recent sale games, Perfect, which is from the people that made The Assembly. The one catch is that it's not a game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dmLj7rlL2k

another reason is you get nauseous if you play certain games without much experience in VR. I seriously vomitted 5x after playing robinson 20mins straight. job simulator I had no trouble getting the platinum for though so idk, it's really cool though but robinson made me sick and I haven't touched VR since.

Thanks for that link. So if I understand it correctly, the issue is that the PSVR PU needs to be powered on, even just to pass through the signal from non-VR gaming, and although the PS4 supports HDR which requires HDMI 2.0, the PSVR PU only supports HDMI 1.4 -- thus the widespread handshake issues.

How could they release flagship hardware touting HDR and then fail so spectacularly to support it? That is just an incredible oversight on Sony's part.

I assume people not having issues just don't have HDR sets connected.
I have a non-hdr 4k tv and have the issues...

I was thinking about picking up SuperHot VR, but was kinda bummed to see the discount disappear after release.

Anyone have any thoughts? If I do get it, should I just get the bundle with the base game? Should I just wait for another discount?

I was thinking about picking up SuperHot VR, but was kinda bummed to see the discount disappear after release.

Anyone have any thoughts? If I do get it, should I just get the bundle with the base game? Should I just wait for another discount?
I'm gonna wait for another discount. I have too many other games to play right now, VR and non-VR.

bread's done
Back