Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the recommendations. I haven't been able to dig into my PSVR yet, thanks to various chores I've been working on. And I won't be able to dig into it in earnest until about a week and a half from now. (going to PAX West!) But past that I'm going to have some more free time, and am looking forward to giving my new VR rig a spin.

I'm seriously considering Tethered as well. I've heard from numerous sources that 3rd-person platformers like that are actually a really great way to enjoy VR without succumbing to motion sickness. I'm hoping for further sales down the line, but these smaller-sized offerings are definitely on my radar.
I hate to break this to you, but Tethered isn't a platformer. It's more of a god game simulation thing where you try to manage subjects to fight and survive the various challenges it offers. You might be thinking of Windlands, which I recall being a motion sickness capital of PSVR.

You might be thinking of Windlands, which I recall being a motion sickness capital of PSVR.
No, Windlands looks like it's first-person perspective, not third-person. First-person games are far more likely to be motion-sickness inducing. I did not know that Tethered is a god-game. But it still appears to be a third-person game, which would make sense for a god-game. (in the vein of Populous) It should likely still be easy on the stomach, and the reviews for it are plentiful and positive.

Sony's releasing a new PSVR bundle on 9/1 that packages the camera with the headset for $400:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/902169252597084160

The headset/camera/Moves/PSVR Worlds bundle will also be dropping to $450.

Sony's releasing a new PSVR bundle on 9/1 that packages the camera with the headset for $400:

I almost checked out with a Worlds bundle on Best Buy's web site a few minutes ago. Glad I saw this before pulling the trigger. I can wait a few days.

I'd keep the gun though since more games are starting to support it and this is the only known way to get it
yeah that was the only way i got the gun, love it since i like rail shooters, wish their were more rail shooters or games that support the aim gun, i dont know about giving up the game yet since some time this year their supposed to release the winter side dlc, i did use the aim controller for that undead game, wasnt bad but difficultly ramps up to quick

That new price is just too little. The Oculus is currently 399 with controllers and 7 games, but will eventually be 499 once the summer deal ends (though there's a part of me that suspects it will continue to be extended). The PSVR headset and controllers just aren't the same quality as the 2 PC models. I would have thought 299 with camera and controllers (from the mid PS3 era) to keep up....

That new price is just too little. The Oculus is currently 399 with controllers and 7 games, but will eventually be 499 once the summer deal ends (though there's a part of me that suspects it will continue to be extended). The PSVR headset and controllers just aren't the same quality as the 2 PC models. I would have thought 299 with camera and controllers (from the mid PS3 era) to keep up....
The Rift is the worst-selling of the major headsets, so they are pulling out all the stops to get anybody to buy their headset. PSVR is on top, so they don't have to do anything to keep up.

I agree the price drop seems too little, but that is only because we were spoiled by amazon's sale for $100 less that also included 3 games. That must have been their attempt to clear stock before this. The VR worlds bundle with move controllers now seems like a huge value compared to the base, $50 for 2 controllers + game.  It will be interesting if there are any deals for black friday.

Costco's already been selling the PSVR Worlds bundle for $450 (Core version $330).  So with the official price drop to $450, maybe Costco will drop to $400 for the Worlds bundle.

I finally picked up Resident Evil 7 this weekend. I have to hype myself up to play it though. The demos were terrifying. The immersion was all encompassing.

I'm livestreaming my playthrough of Resi 7 to my friends with the text to speech for comments turned on. Still scared shitless, but at least i can laugh a bit

I have an unopened PS Camera I picked up years ago, so I'm really hoping that the original, headset-only bundle will now see some discounts before they're all gone and replaced by this new bundle!

Saw someone locally selling a PSVR on Facebook, used for $500. I had to lol. Worst part is, I'm sure someone will buy it. FB seems to be hit or miss. I was able to get a Uncharted 4 PS4 a month after release for $120. Ended up flipping it for $250. Most things are really over priced in my area.

The best way to describe Psvr, IMO. It doesn't get much use, but I do enjoy what I have played. If I didn't have one, I'd want it.

So I know that console games are more expensive, however, Sneaky Bears is $2 Google Play Store, $1 for Oculus and $20 PSVR. That sucks. Not that it looks great, but for a $1 or 2 I am in for pretty much any PSVR game. $20 is just absurd.

So I know that console games are more expensive, however, Sneaky Bears is $2 Google Play Store, $1 for Oculus and $20 PSVR. That sucks. Not that it looks great, but for a $1 or 2 I am in for pretty much any PSVR game. $20 is just absurd.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1605007349543688/

It's $20 for the Rift, as well. They can actually charge a better price for the game on the higher end VR devices because they're not competing in marketplaces where it's overwhelmingly full of free VR games/apps like on mobile.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/29/dreamworks-voltron-vr-chronicles-comes-to-playstation-vr-sept-26/

Details on the Voltron VR game that's up for pre-order, which is linked above for a discounted price. You play as the Blue Lion and has all of the voice actors and showrunners from the new show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaiLJSyKQHk

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/29/the-inpatient-bravo-team-release-dates-confirmed-for-later-this-year/

Bravo Team will be out on 12/5 and The Inpatient will be out on 11/21. There are more details on The Inpatient in the post along with a new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LproxdJlAQo

Hell yeah. Rigs is one of the best games on PSVR. A nice boost in the community is exactly what's needed. Everyone download it so we can play.

B&H Photo has the VR Worlds bundle for $400 and the core for $350. Anyone know of any better deals than those?
$100 off original MSRP or $50 off new MSRP plus no taxes likely at B&H seems to be the best deal right now for the bundle. Core headset has been cheaper at places like eBay and Newegg.

Two new sales for PSVR games for this weekend:

Thumper - $7.99 - 60% Off - Ends 9/5

Trackmania Turbo - $13.99 - 65% Off - Ends 9/5

Thumper is highly recommended and Trackmania Turbo is the best racing game I've played in PSVR, at least better than Driveclub VR.

Hey do you guys know if Psychonauts: In the Rhombus of Ruin has been on sale yet anywhere? Thanks
Nope.

Is it worth getting a PS VR at this point? I get motion sickness fairly easily and am worried that I would waste my money.
You'd have to find a way to demo it yourself since it's really different to each person. I think the platform as a whole is worth it for those that can handle it, but it obviously would be pointless for those that can't.

Is it worth getting a PS VR at this point? I get motion sickness fairly easily and am worried that I would waste my money.
Personally, I don't think so. I also get motion sickness and I've only played with it 3 times or so. Definitely not worth the hefty price tag, in my opinion. Maybe wait for a sale if you really want one

Has anyone here tried out the PSVR on PC?

I just got it setup earlier today using Trinus and PSMoveService. Headtracking is decent, but the PS Move tracking is a bit janky. I may be able to improve with better placement.

I have the headset, 2 ps move controllers, and 2 ps3 eye cameras. Apparently you can hook up to 4 cameras for tracking.

I tried out Google Earth and Trials on Tatooine using SteamVR. Standing or seated only games worked best with the current setup i have.

If you attempt it, be aware that it will probably take an hour or so to get everything setup and get the appropriate drivers.

I think ill try to get some Usb extension cables to get the cameras further into the corners of the room, maybe that will help.

I tried Rec Room a bit but the cameras couldn't track the controllers well enough. Sort of the same on Trials on Tatooine.

A neat test without much investment since i had all the hardware already. The license for Trinus was about $15. There is a warning that future firmware updates could break compatibility.

Do you have drift issues watching 3d blu ray? I'm considering buying one almost entirely for the purpose of watching 3d movies on it.
Depends if Im centered in front of the tv while watching no, if Im not then it slowly drifts and need to be recentered every 30 minutes or so but doesnt bother me.

I love the PSVR but I wouldn't recommend buying one for the sole purpose of using it to watch movies. Maybe it's just me, but the few times I've tried it hasn't been a great experience so far. 

I haven't had any drifting issues, but it just hasn't been a comfortable experience using cinema mode. Although it does simulate a movie theater layout in the way it's presented, all of the setting options available feel too close for me (like the first 3-4 rows of the theater) and I feel like I have to constantly move my eyes to capture the whole image. This in turn makes my eyes tired, and I feel too fatigued to finish a 90 minute film. Add on top of that the fact that you are wearing the headset for that long, plus headphones, and at the end of the day it's just not worth it. I actually feel less tired playing VR games because you move your whole head around and while the sense of urgency to keep scanning around is still there, it feels more natural and not unnecessarily laborious to do so.

I did a whole bunch of research on projectors the last couple of years and recently bought a used 2014 model BenQ unit for $300 (do a little research and avoid the cheap shit) and have been using that to watch movies on the big screen, which feels 10 times better than trying to do it with the PSVR. It is not 4K, but it supports 1080P and 3D. I am guessing for a similar price to the PSVR you can find something like it, and I would go with that if you are just looking to watch movies and that's it. I know projectors aren't ideal for some people due to space issues and such, but if you are able to I recommend it highly.    

I did a whole bunch of research on projectors the last couple of years and recently bought a used 2014 model BenQ unit for $300 (do a little research and avoid the cheap shit) and have been using that to watch movies on the big screen, which feels 10 times better than trying to do it with the PSVR. It is not 4K, but it supports 1080P and 3D. I am guessing for a similar price to the PSVR you can find something like it, and I would go with that if you are just looking to watch movies and that's it. I know projectors aren't ideal for some people due to space issues and such, but if you are able to I recommend it highly.
And usually it's more fun to have more people watching the movies with a TV unless you're watching some discreet video :)

Sadly 3D Blu-ray are rarely discounted or not that much like regular Blu-ray, so even though having a 3D TV since 2010, I don't have many 3D Blu-ray in my library.

I finally picked up a PSVR this weekend and I'm having a lot of fun with it :) I definitely need to earn my "legs" though - I can usually last for 45mins or so before I need to take a break. I haven't tried EVE Valkyrie yet, but Scavenger’s Odyssey on VR Worlds makes me queasy with all the movement after a bit, so I'm giving myself time lol

I wear glasses and I've noticed that I have to be really careful how I adjust the headset or my glasses can touch the lenses. I'm thinking about getting some kind of lens film protector or bumpers to keep my glasses from getting too close.

Overall, really enjoyable even though I haven't played more than 2-3 games yet :D

I'm assuming if a PS Move Controller will hold a charge/function but the Light Globe/Sphere won't turn on its totally borked, correct?

I tried unscrewing it and nothing seemed to be unplugged, and I have left it charging for atleast a good 5 or 6 hours.

I'm assuming if a PS Move Controller will hold a charge/function but the Light Globe/Sphere won't turn on its totally borked, correct?

I tried unscrewing it and nothing seemed to be unplugged, and I have left it charging for atleast a good 5 or 6 hours.
The light is necessary for tracking, so it's not useful for PSVR if that's not working.

You can always try a used PS move from gamestop. I bought one to replace my older one that never worked right, and I think I ended up with a newer one that was barely used. You should be able to comb through their stock for one that looks nice and they'll take it back within 7 days if it doesn't work.
Ah good point, could justify using one of my handful of B2G1 coupons with that as well. I had noticed Amazon was selling the Singles for $25 and the Double Pack for $76, but I wasnt sure if that would be playing roulette as well.

bread's done
Back