Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Little Witch Academia: VR Broom Racing Kickstarter campaign has added a physical PSVR copy as an option, though you have to pledge at least at the 9000 yen (about $85) level, and shipping pushes it over $100.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/univrs/little-witch-academia-vr-broom-racing-new-vr-game-project/posts/2593113
For those interested, it's also likely that LRG will have copies for sale on their site after production. They've been coy about giving a direct answer (usually something like "it's possible that we may have some leftover copies"), but to-date I can't think of a single Kickstarter game they, or anyone else, have done that's stayed Kickstarter exclusive. At most you may be missing out on something like a slipcover or manual.

Little Witch Academia: VR Broom Racing Kickstarter campaign has added a physical PSVR copy as an option, though you have to pledge at least at the 9000 yen (about $85) level, and shipping pushes it over $100.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/univrs/little-witch-academia-vr-broom-racing-new-vr-game-project/posts/2593113
I backed digitial. I do bet LRG will have some physical copies available soon after KS fulfillments and I'm kinda surprised LWA kept it locked into the $85 tier.

About to go live with that No Man's Sky PSVR stream in a few minutes (link).

Edit: Archive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEfhXMP6PtU

It works really well in VR, though there are a few controls things that are a bit confusing at first. The game runs really well in VR with the caveat being that the resolution at mid to long range distances are pretty low along with the draw distance being pretty low, so you have to focus more on what's immediately around you. Flying in the ship can be a bit touchy at first since the flight stick is very sensitive.

Preorder for Groundhog Day VR is up on PSN. 10% off for PS+ members ($26.99), releases September 17. Rated M for strong language, sexual content and nudity; kind of surprising, but welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0CJhB6zCCg

Afterlife is out now for $5.99. (Would go well as a double feature with Erica.) I hope this is not a case of deceptive marketing because it was previously reported that it would be split into 3 episodes and the first episode would be free (the additional episodes were supposed to cost $9.99 in all). According to the description, it mentions it “has” 3 episodes, but it also says “in-app purchases,” which makes me uncertain. I will be taking the bait, so I should be getting around to it sometime this weekend if anyone cares to find out.

Afterlife is out now for $5.99. (Would go well as a double feature with Erica.) I hope this is not a case of deceptive marketing because it was previously reported that it would be split into 3 episodes and the first episode would be free (the additional episodes were supposed to cost $9.99 in all). According to the description, it mentions it “has” 3 episodes, but it also says “in-app purchases,” which makes me uncertain. I will be taking the bait, so I should be getting around to it sometime this weekend if anyone cares to find out.
Please share. Thanks

My thoughts on Afterlife for those two people who care about it:

-It's a 360 interactive play. Most of the choices are intuitive and you don't even realize that they're happening (it depends on which character/object you're focusing on). There is no indication that any choice is being made in the game, and everything happens seamlessly, which is probably the best use of this technology I've seen. However, since it is 360 video (not 3D), graphics on PSVR felt very low res; although it might also the best example of 360 video I've seen because there were no visible seams/stitching that I noticed.

-Conscious interactivity is minimal, apart from two or three instances where you point the controller towards the screen to highlight something. You're basically put in a passive position, watching a movie play out all around you while you're stuck in a stationary position. This is awkward when there are characters moving in and out of view and you have to crane your neck or body around in order to follow their narrative. This was an issue that Restless Spirit (a similar PSVR interactive film with minimal choice) didn't have, though that title was even more bare-bones than this.

-All three chapters are included for $5.99, so the game is COMPLETE (which is better than what was originally promised, at $9.99). However, each chapter only lasts between 10-15 minutes for a total runtime of about 45 minutes per playthrough. After each chapter, you're allowed to look at a flowchart of all the possible paths you could have taken (similar to how it's done in Detroit: Become Human). I figure it would take a minimum of three playthroughs to see all scenes/endings, provided you pick all different options each time (which can be hard to determine if you don't know the triggers).

-Since this is strictly an interactive art film, there are no trophies. So if that's all you're in it for, you can skip it. I would describe it as an independent drama about a grieving family trying to come to terms with a child's death (who may or may not be a spirit inhabiting the house). The kid dies in a tub in the opening moments of the film (off-screen), so if the thematic content bothers you, avoid it. Alternatively, if any of this sounds slow, boring or just plain depressing (welcome to my life), then this isn't for you.

All in all, I enjoyed it for what it was: an experimental VR title at an affordable cost. I would like to see more of this developed in the future. After playing Erica yesterday -- a superior FMV experience in every way -- I feel like I'm spoiled for good quality narrative storytelling, so it fell short in terms of expectations. But the way that the choices are implemented (invisible to the player's knowledge) is pretty cutting-edge stuff as far as I'm concerned. A step in the right direction is what I would call it.

Is Penn & Teller VR an Amazon exclusive? I would rather buy it from Best Buy to use GCU but Amazon is the only site I can find selling it.
I'm pretty sure it is, at least among the major retailers. That's the only site where I have seen it for sale.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/08/28/harmonixs-rhythm-shooter-audica-comes-to-ps-vr-this-fall/

Harmonix's new PSVR rhythm shooter Audica is coming this fall. They've got a list of 26 announced songs for the game so far in the post.
I guess it makes sense why they left Rock Band 4 in a kinda broken state if they had another game in development. Harmonix definitely has talent, but Rock Band 4's got a lot of frame issues on PS4. Normally I don't care that much about a few graphic hiccups, but in rhythm games they're rather disruptive.

Anyhow, this looks decent, but with both this and Beat Saber the selection is kinda underwhelming to me. Lots of electronic, dubstep, pop, and other bass-heavy songs. It'd be nice to see them branch a little more, though the inclusion of stuff like Dragonforce is promising (albeit that particular band's involvement in rhythm games feels more than a little overdone at this point).

Have there been any updates or a release date on the previously announced physical edition of the Honor and Duty 2 pack? A few months ago the devs definitely said it would get a physical and if I remember correctly mentioned that the UK would get it first, but I haven't heard a thing about either version since. 

Have there been any updates or a release date on the previously announced physical edition of the Honor and Duty 2 pack? A few months ago the devs definitely said it would get a physical and if I remember correctly mentioned that the UK would get it first, but I haven't heard a thing about either version since.
Most of the European retailers are showing September 30th for this title, although that obviously could change again.

Today is last day to get driveclub vr on PSN. Physical copy goes for about $10 at walmart.com.

EDIT: looks like still available in US, perhaps it was just being delisted from Europe

I got a Thrustmaster T80 last week. After finding out the hard way that it isn't a sex toy, I used it to play Wipeout VR. I attached it to a TV tray and used an adjustable office chair to get the perfect height. It worked great and Wipeout isn't even officially supported. You can toggle between supported control mode and standard controller mode for games that aren't supported.

Bought the Dirt Rally VR bundle, but haven't played it yet. DR is a supported title, so that should be even more fun.

Blood and Truth for $19.99 at Gamestop on Labor Day. Seems like a fair price.
I was very interested in this deal but shipping from Gamestop to me was $10 (so with tax it was over $32 for me), and Amazon never lowered their price below $30 yesterday.

I was very interested in this deal but shipping from Gamestop to me was $10 (so with tax it was over $32 for me), and Amazon never lowered their price below $30 yesterday.
Yeah, I'll just wait for other retailers to lower their price as well. Just like with Tetris Effect, I think Gamestop was just the first one to do it in the next several weeks,

I was just browsing through this week's new releases. Anyone up for a torture simulator (where you play as the hostage)?

Blindfold: A Vérité VR Experience - $1.99 - $1.79 - 10% off - Ends 9/17

At two bucks, I'm guessing it's a 5-minute experience which should have been free in the first place. However, it's a "companion piece" to 1979 Revolution: Black Friday (a historical narrative-adventure game I enjoyed), so I guess I'll be checking it out at some point.

I just watched Groundhog Day for the first time last night and really loved it. Now I’m looking forward to checking out the game

Nice. I haven’t gotten around to trying it yet, but I bought it specifically because of the added VR support. Glad to hear that by the time I get around to it that it will be an even better version

Does anyone own Ark Park?  I'm curious how realistic the dinosaurs and overall environments look.  I know people say the gameplay sucks, but I might get it if it's immersive enough.

I just played through Blindfold: A Vérité VR Experience. Contrary to its title, you're never blindfolded, only gagged, therefore you can only respond by nodding and shaking your head. It's a 10-minute scenario that takes place entirely in an interrogation room where you're accused of committing a crime. In front of you, a blindfolded man bears the brunt of the consequences depending on whether you cooperate or resist. There are two endings and four trophies to earn (though they haven't been synced to the PlayStation network yet). There's not much else to say about it. It could have been a chapter from Blood & Truth, but on its own it feels empty (it's designed as a "companion piece" to 1979 Revolution: Black Friday), and I never felt like I was in any real danger. Then again, it's only $1.79 (till 9/17) so I'm not sure how much further it will drop.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/09/17/blood-truth-gets-skeet-challenges-hard-mode-today/

A new update for Blood & Truth is available for download starting today, with five fresh challenges that are compatible with the PS VR Aim Controller, and a new Hard Mode to dial up the action. Things are about to get a lot tougher!

Skeet Challenges
Time to take your skills to the next level with a new set of challenges where clay targets are flung in the air. It’s all about a steady hand and good aim so lock, load and get ready.

One more thing: we’ve hidden a gnome in every challenge. Can you spot them? Destroying all gnomes located across the Skeet Shooting Challenges unlocks the new GNOMAGEDDON Trophy.

Hard Mode
Blood & Truth makes you feel like you are in an action movie, but our new Hard Mode is really going to throw you into the heart of the missions!

You can now play individual missions in Hard Mode or the entire story using the New Game+ feature, which is unlocked upon completing the story in Cinematic or Normal difficulty.

Complete the whole story in Hard Mode and you’ll unlock a new Trophy!
Meh.

Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son is a pretty good game, just short of being great. It's developed by the team at Tequila Works who already have a masterful handle on the time loop genre (The Invisible Hours, The Sexy Brutale). It's a fun ride, just don't expect too much individual exploration or deviation from story. For a time loop narrative, it runs a fairly simple linear path with natural, logical progression: basically just repeat the objective until you get it right. This usually happens through dialogue choices, where you learn one thing and are able to use it the next day in order to advance the plot.

It feels like a traditional narrative adventure in VR, with some random mini-games meant to break up the gameplay. Since you are so limited in movement (you can only teleport to predesignated spots), it does feel like a wasted opportunity to really let loose and get into trouble. With no consequences -- since you repeat the same events over and over -- it would have been nice to get away with more crazy, rude, inconsequential stunts (no suicide montage here). Nevertheless, it's a very cool idea for a game, and a unique VR experience; I feel like I've just lived my own groundhog day.

There are enough callbacks to the movie (visual gags, characters, Sonny & Cher) to feel familiar, but it really is its own thing. Although not as likable or relatable as Bill Murray, there is a real redemptive arc to the main character that feels earned through the repetitive nature of the gameplay (which probably makes it seem longer than it actually is). The first thing I did in-game was pick up a nudie mag off the nightstand and immediately pop a boner (and trophy). Besides weird jokes like that and a few f-bombs littered throughout, I don't think it really earned its M rating. I was hoping it would be a bit edgier and lean more into sexual territory (which was a part of the movie), but for the most part, it played it safe.

tl;dr
Pros: Sweet story. If you're a fan of the movie, you'll enjoy this game. While not an instant classic, it does the movie justice.
Cons: Wasted opportunity; wish you had the freedom to do a lot more. Multiple endings would have added to replayability.

Sairento down to 34.26 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Sairento-VR-PlayStation-4/dp/B07T5WBN4G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sairento&qid=1569250685&s=videogames&sr=1-1

Dont know when BB added it, i searched for it probably a week ago and didnt find it but they have it now. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sairento-vr-playstation-4/6359190.p?skuId=6359190

Quar Infernal Machines down to 15.15 https://www.amazon.com/Quar-Infernal-Machines-PS4/dp/B07QYQ52BH?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraygames-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025

again just noticed BB also has it https://www.bestbuy.com/site/quar-infernal-machines-playstation-4/6350410.p?skuId=6350410

not the same prices at BB but you can price match. btw anyone else still have GCU and done price matches where they will price match both items at the sale price and not even look at your final GCU price. tried getting away with it again with Killing floor and had no luck.

Sairento down to 34.26 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Sairento-VR-PlayStation-4/dp/B07T5WBN4G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sairento&qid=1569250685&s=videogames&sr=1-1

Dont know when BB added it, i searched for it probably a week ago and didnt find it but they have it now. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sairento-vr-playstation-4/6359190.p?skuId=6359190

Quar Infernal Machines down to 15.15 https://www.amazon.com/Quar-Infernal-Machines-PS4/dp/B07QYQ52BH?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraygames-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025

again just noticed BB also has it https://www.bestbuy.com/site/quar-infernal-machines-playstation-4/6350410.p?skuId=6350410

not the same prices at BB but you can price match. btw anyone else still have GCU and done price matches where they will price match both items at the sale price and not even look at your final GCU price. tried getting away with it again with Killing floor and had no luck.
Not quite sure what you're asking in the last paragraph but if you have GCU and price match another retailer's sale price, GCU is not supposed to stack on top of the price match. You get the lower of Best Buy's price with GCU or sale price of the price match.

GCU will stack on Best Buy's sale prices, or course, just not another retailer's.

bread's done
Back