Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Pixel Ripped 1989 is on sale via Perp Games.

Standard: https://www.perpgames.com/product/pixel-ripped-1989-standard-edition/

CE: https://www.perpgames.com/product/pixel-ripped-1989-pink-cassette/

Checkout process is weird if you're not in the UK (you have to send an email and get a PayPal invoice) but it seems like it's exclusive to them.
"By ordering from this site, you acknowledge you are a collector and the game is for your personal collection, not for opening and playing."

What the hell does that even mean? Are the games not playable? What will happen if I play it? Will the UK police come knocking at my door? The website says you can buy their games but not to open and play them.

https://www.perpgames.com/store/international-orders/

It has a page you need to fill out if you are not from the UK. That is where it says it.
I'm pretty sure they added that disclaimer because technically they are violating rating rules and restrictions that Sony puts on regions by selling European region games and non-ESRB rated games to US customers. I suppose it doesn't apply with Pixel Ripped, but it certainly applies to their other releases.

https://www.perpgames.com/store/international-orders/

It has a page you need to fill out if you are not from the UK. That is where it says it.
I did not see anything like that on the website.
It's CYA language because PEGI games are only rated for distribution in Europe. If you're "just buying it for collecting" then the rating doesn't apply to you, because you're buying a box for your shelf and don't intend to consume the content on the disc. Not sure exactly how strictly it's monitored/enforced, but they're probably just trying to play it safe and not get slapped with a fine.

That page is for their store as a whole and they do have an ESRB version of Pixel Ripped according to the listing, but worst case scenario I get a PEGI copy in an ESRB box. I'm sure it's a big no-no for the ratings boards if that happens, but it's minimally impactful to me as a consumer.

You would be hard pressed to find any bundle outside of the most current one (Iron Man out tomorrow). None of the mainstream VR headsets seem to be produced in enough quantity to sit on shelves very long.

So is it even possible to get the VR starter pack (just headset and camera) new anymore, outside of eBay?
You should just get the Iron Man bundle if you're thinking about buying one. Brand new, from a legit store in case something goes wrong, and you get everything you need.

Some stores still have the Blood & Truth and Everybody's Golf bundle for the same price if you'd rather have those games.

I'm seeing a lot of 7.5's. So probably not as strong a single-player game as, say, Walking Dead or Blood and Truth, but better than stuff like Operation Warcade and Batman VR.

Just curious...for reference, what would you guys say your personal Top 5 PSVR games are? And decent games that you'd still recommend?

For me, the favorites are:
1. Superhot VR
2. Blood and Truth
3. Beat Saber
4. Walking Dead
5. Astrobot

Average games that I very much enjoy:
1. Blasters of the Universe
2. Dick Wilde 2
3. Box VR
4. Smashbox Arena
5. Crisis VRigade

It'll be interesting to see where Iron Man falls on that list. I *loved* the controls.

Iron Man VR is not getting good reviews.

I've read 3 reviews and all of them complain about the long load times and mediocre graphics and rather repetitive gameplay.

For the games you didn't list, Resident Evil 7 is amazing. I like Batman VR. I'd also recommend Tetris Effect and Moss that. I have like 8 psvr games waiting for me to play so there are definitely more good games out there. I also think PS Worlds is a must own game.

I can see the graphics criticism, but at the same time, it's the PSVR. From the demo, I think they did a really good job with the graphics. Everyone knows the PSVR is the weakest VR platform for graphics and resolution. Load times suck, but a patch might help with that too down the line. I'm still excited for it. My copy is supposed to be delivered from Best Buy today, but I won't have time until tomorrow to play it anyway.

76 Metacritic so I stand corrected on my it's not getting good reviews comment. I thought the demo was lacking in graphics and load times and the fact that it still has long load times, sub par graphics and repetitive gameplay doesn't scream day one purchase for me.

I've seen some pretty darn looking psvr games like Astrobot, Moss, Resident Evil 7 etc. I think they definitely could have made it look better and you are right, he patch might be coming to make load times quicker but I might wait for a price drop. I do have a $10 off any purchase of $30 or more at GameStop with $15 in credit so I could be playing this game for a little over $15 if I wanted. Hmmm

How likely is it the devs actually patch the long load times for Ironman VR and how long does that usually take for them to do so? What other recent game have devs made the load times shorter with. Even though I have yet to play it, I have heard that Bloodbourne got patches to make the load times shorter and they are still long.

There is no magical "fix load times" patch.  It really depends.  For all we know they could be as optimized as possible.  We won't know until they say anything about it though.

There was a day-one patch for 'Iron Man VR' (1.04), and I don't know the specifics, but what I can say is that I only experienced a load time close to a minute once. All others have been 10-20 seconds for me. I am using a Pro, but an external HDD. So maybe they optimized something with the patch.

My biggest gripe is that there's lots of story (that isn't the gripe) where you're just standing and can't do anything but turn. The lack of full locomotion when not in your suit also sucks. 'Apex Construct' proved full locomotion can be done with two Move controllers, so it's a shame 'Iron Man VR' is teleporting to specific spots only. Not even free teleporting.

My top 5 PSVR games in no order.

Resident Evil 7

Astrobob

Moss

Farpoint (with Aim controller)

Beatsaber
Is Astrobob a sequel to Astrobot? :p I see you are a Redskins fan. Me too. What do you think the new name will be? Renegades? Redtails?

There is no magical "fix load times" patch. It really depends. For all we know they could be as optimized as possible. We won't know until they say anything about it though.

<-- software developer so I have experience with performance.
Load times can be fixed/improved with a patch. Bloodborne had it and I'm sure other games have too. Makes me think the game was still not ready to ship since pretty much every review mentioned them.

There was a day-one patch for 'Iron Man VR' (1.04), and I don't know the specifics, but what I can say is that I only experienced a load time close to a minute once. All others have been 10-20 seconds for me. I am using a Pro, but an external HDD. So maybe they optimized something with the patch.

My biggest gripe is that there's lots of story (that isn't the gripe) where you're just standing and can't do anything but turn. The lack of full locomotion when not in your suit also sucks. 'Apex Construct' proved full locomotion can be done with two Move controllers, so it's a shame 'Iron Man VR' is teleporting to specific spots only. Not even free teleporting.
Interesting. I can't find any patch notes online but did you play the game before the patch to compare it? I also have a Pro and I always hope games will run better on it. 10-20 is still too long if it's just a black screen and you can't do anything else but stare and wait. The devs should have at least made it interactive or something. Maybe someone will shed some light as to why the load times are the way they are and if they intend to fix them. I'm still trying to buy this game from gamestop.com but it is not showing up in stock at my local stores despite the game being in stock.

Is Astrobob a sequel to Astrobot? :p

Load times can be fixed/improved with a patch. Bloodborne had it and I'm sure other games have too. Makes me think the game was still not ready to ship since pretty much every review mentioned them.

Interesting. I can't find any patch notes online but did you play the game before the patch to compare it? I also have a Pro and I always hope games will run better on it. 10-20 is still too long if it's just a black screen and you can't do anything else but stare and wait. The devs should have at least made it interactive or something. Maybe someone will shed some light as to why the load times are the way they are and if they intend to fix them. I'm still trying to buy this game from gamestop.com but it is not showing up in stock at my local stores despite the game being in stock.
I did not play pre-patch. The loading screens aren't blank, black screens. They have a loading percentage box in front of you, a tip box to one side, an info box to the other (which you can scroll through), and a giant "screen" in the middle that shows a slide of the chapter and slides for the various "kill" trophies with a picture of the suit that unlocks when you hit the minimum requirement and a final screen with the suit colors. After loading there is usually as black screen with dust particles where Tony gives a narration/inner monologue about what you're about to do. I wish that had been on the loading screen too and they could've done away with the black screen. Unless it's to hide a bit more loading.

Is Astrobob a sequel to Astrobot? :p I see you are a Redskins fan. Me too. What do you think the new name will be? Renegades? Redtails?

I don't care what the name is at this point they just need to do it. I would love it if they chose The Bullets but that won't happen.

And load times may be able to be improved they may not. It depends how optimized they were at launch. But the fact is there is no simple "load times can improve" fix for everything. Depends on how they are now.

Sounds like Warriors is the front runner.
We already have a Warriors basketball team. I want the name to be unique. Renegades, Redtails etc are unique names. I am not liking the Warriors rumor.

OT, I ordered Iron Man VR. Getting shipped to me.

No matter what the new name is no one is going to like it.  That is how it always is for any new sports team.  Then after like a year or two nobody cares and everyone is fine with it.

What's wrong with Warriors?
They should not go back to a Native American themed name, it is asking for same problem to repeat itself eventually. They should try something new, perhaps even a new color scheme. Try to get as far away from the status quo as possible.

If anyone is interested in getting into PSVR, the Iron Man VR bundle is included in Target's "30% off certain games if you preorder a game" sale that ends after today, which takes $105 off $350. You could preorder something as cheap as the Ghostbusters remaster which is only $20.

Doesn't work with the Blood & Truth VR bundle though. Definitely shouldn't be working with the Iron Man bundle, but it is.

If anyone is interested in getting into PSVR, the Iron Man VR bundle is included in Target's "30% off certain games if you preorder a game" sale that ends after today, which takes $105 off $350. You could preorder something as cheap as the Ghostbusters remaster which is only $20.

Doesn't work with the Blood & Truth VR bundle though. Definitely shouldn't be working with the Iron Man bundle, but it is.
Good find. This deserves it's own thread.
Comes out to a total of $275.03 for me after tax and red card discount. I'm not going to buy it though as I already have a psvr and Iron Man is being shipped to me whenever USPS feels like delivering it.

Had to track this post down just to thank you. I ordered this earlier this evening. Now I get to dive into this thread and discover what fun I've been missing.

Had to track this post down just to thank you. I ordered this earlier this evening. Now I get to dive into this thread and discover what fun I've been missing.
Are you looking for recommendations or are you just gonna play Iron Man VR until you beat it? These gamestop used sales are really good for getting some good, pretty cheap PSVR games. I have like 8 PSVR games from these sales the last couple of months that I haven't even played yet. I think everyone should own PS Worlds for starters. I am sure you will find all the info you need going through the thread though. There is also free content on the PS store to download. Some of them are games and some are just experiences/short films.

Superhot VR makes really good use of the equipment.

Moss is really fun. There's also Beat Saber and Resident Evil 7.

I really do not like the way you move (or rather don't move) in Doom VFR, but your tastes may be different.

Also, unless it's an AAA game, I like my VR games to be digital downloads so that I can just go from one game to the next. But that's just me.

Astrobot is my personal favorite. It is a joy to play and has a ton of personality. I don't own it, but I know Beat Saber gets a lot of love.
Thumper in VR is also fun

Thanks guys. Here's where I admit that I'm a crazy person who already owns a nice PC gaming rig with VR (Odyssey+) but also bought this. The Odyssey+ is amazing but has a really narrow sweet spot through the lenses and practically needs to be specially fit to the person wearing it.

I'm thinking this will be a much easier VR setup for my son to be able to pick up and play, should work well with his glasses (from what I read in reviews), and will let him/us access the PS VR exclusive titles.

I probably will double dip and pick up beat saber and space pirate trainer for PSVR because those are my absolute favorites, but games like Iron Man, Astrobot, and PS Worlds are where I'm really excited. I can't imagine how excited he will be to play in VR as Iron Man!

I love Superhot, too, but my son is a little too young for that crazy super hero/murder simulator and the emotional intensity that you get from playing it.

Thanks again for the recommendations! I'll keep paging back through the thread.

If you're a super hero fan, download the 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' demo/app thing. It's PSVR exclusive. It's short, and has a small, empty  open world, but you can freely swing as Spider-Man with the Move controllers. Best of all, it's free. There's even some challenges, an unlockable suit and a New Game+ of sorts after the short "campaign."

These are my favorite free demos I've run across:
Demo Disc 1
Demo Disc 2
Demo Disc 3
Everybody's Golf
Astro Bot Rescue Mission

And these free "experiences are pretty cool:
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare Jackal Assault
Spider-man Homecoming
Spider-man Far from Home

And if you have EA Access, Star Wars Battlefront is free and has a pretty cool VR mission. I hope ya'll new to PSVR enjoy it.
Thank you!! My goodness I forgot about the battlefront exclusive mission. I may need to triple dip this title (PC and Xbone).

Superhot VR makes really good use of the equipment.

Moss is really fun. There's also Beat Saber and Resident Evil 7.

I really do not like the way you move (or rather don't move) in Doom VFR, but your tastes may be different.

Also, unless it's an AAA game, I like my VR games to be digital downloads so that I can just go from one game to the next. But that's just me.
I couldn't get into Doom either. Playing in VR made the game too hard. Kind of reminded me of trying to play Socom 4 or Resistance 3 with the PS Move Sharpshooter. It made it so much harder to control just for the sake of pointing a gun at the screen.

Played a bunch of Astrobot for the first time tonight. Believe the hype people. It feels to me like if Nintendo made a VR Mario game and then it got reskinned with cuter and more likable characters

bread's done
Back