Official Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver thread of 10 year nostalgia rush

Time to play some Pokemon.
Been hooked on Sacred 2 lately.

890e3b5b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great comic, adriley.

I haven't really played Pokémon either the last few days. I'm at the point that I have to grind for the Elite Four, and I just dun wanna.

[quote name='doodofdoods']is it your first time facing the elite four or the second time? The first time you should be fine if your pokemon are in the 40's.[/QUOTE]

It is my first time, and I didn't die until the final of the Four. I only had five Pokémon in my party. If I add a good 5th, I would probably be okay...

I think I played so much Pokémon lately I'm a little Pokémoned out.

You should have 6 in your party even if one's a crappy pokemon. just use that pokemon to take a hit while you heal your other pokemon. if you have focus sash and aren't using it put it on that pokemon so it can take two hits, giving you at least two turns to heal.

Get a fighting type in your party and you should be ok against the dark pokemon. And make sure you have ice moves to use on lance after that.

I read on /v/ that Pokemon gets easier with the less Pokemon you have. I've never tried it until now out of a vague feeling that it was cheating. I already eliminated Onyx from my team for an HM slave. I kinda want to get rid of Ponyta because once Kanto starts, water is best and fire kinda sucks.

Maybe I will.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']If I had to choose just one Generation IV game, what should it be?[/QUOTE]
Platinum or Heart Gold. I'd chose HG.

If you do want to do all the IV and EV things that come with competitive battling, they modified the breeding in HG/SS so it's easier to pass on IVs.

[quote name='Doomed']I read on /v/ that Pokemon gets easier with the less Pokemon you have. I've never tried it until now out of a vague feeling that it was cheating. I already eliminated Onyx from my team for an HM slave. I kinda want to get rid of Ponyta because once Kanto starts, water is best and fire kinda sucks.

Maybe I will.[/QUOTE]

I read that same thing on GameFAQs that playing through the main story game with just 3 or 4 pokemon will make it easier. So I tried it in HG by playing through with the 3 starters since I've never done that before in any of the other games, and so far it certainly has been easier, or at least more fun for me. I'm the type that doesn't like to grind a lot in RPG games, so running with fewer pokemon in my team means that the trainers and gym leaders I've fought have basically kept my team leveled up for me.

Contrast that with the past games where I always filled my team up with 6 pokemon early on, and it felt like I had to spend 5+ hours grinding the stragglers up so that they wouldn't get left behind. I guess it ultimately depends on how much one minds level grinding.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']Awesome, that was the big hurdle in wanting to do the whole thing. Can a good chunk of the OU Tier Pokemon be acquired easily in HG/SS?[/QUOTE]
I believe HG/SS have access to the highest number of Pokemon in the franchise. If they're missing something, you can always find someone to trade with.

After spending five days resetting to get a good Ho-oh that I'll never used I just gave up and went on the the Elite Four. My team of six is all in the low 40's but I like never using items, so I'll probably grind until they're all 50 before I take out the Four.

Anyone know a simple way to EV train in HG/SS.
Getting ready for the Pokemon League challenge on GayGamer.net.
Its where i got the idea for CAG, and they have gym leaders for every type.

Hello fellow late nighters. I'm giving away 1 free shiny to the first 6 people who PM me! 1 per person, it will be holding a random item. They are free, so bring anything in to trade. =)

EDIT: forgot to mention the shinys will be randomly chosen but the first 3 ppl who PM me will get to chose which one they want.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']Hello fellow late nighters. I'm giving away 1 free shiny to the first 6 people who PM me! 1 per person, it will be holding a random item. They are free, so bring anything in to trade. =)[/QUOTE]

PMed.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']Hello fellow late nighters. I'm giving away 1 free shiny to the first 6 people who PM me! 1 per person, it will be holding a random item. They are free, so bring anything in to trade. =)

EDIT: forgot to mention the shinys will be randomly chosen but the first 3 ppl who PM me will get to chose which one they want.[/QUOTE]

PMed ^^

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']Hello fellow late nighters. I'm giving away 1 free shiny to the first 6 people who PM me! 1 per person, it will be holding a random item. They are free, so bring anything in to trade. =)

EDIT: forgot to mention the shinys will be randomly chosen but the first 3 ppl who PM me will get to chose which one they want.[/QUOTE]

Gonna shoot you a PM!

Also, does anyone have a Bulbasaur for trade? I've got Eevee's, Totadial's, Cyndaquil's, Ditto's, and maybe a few other things that might appeal to someone. Anyone wanna help me out?

[quote name='icedrake523']If you do want to do all the IV and EV things that come with competitive battling, they modified the breeding in HG/SS so it's easier to pass on IVs.[/QUOTE]

Can you please direct me to a good breeding site for HG/SS?
I'm familiar with the breeding guide on Smogon, but I don't think that is updated and haven't seen anything about HG/SS.
Thanks.

Edit: I just found out about increasing the chances of passing down IV's with the use of certain items (Power Anklet, etc), but I heard a rumor that the father can also pass down his nature. Can anyone confirm?

[quote name='Ahadi']Gonna shoot you a PM!

Also, does anyone have a Bulbasaur for trade? I've got Eevee's, Totadial's, Cyndaquil's, Ditto's, and maybe a few other things that might appeal to someone. Anyone wanna help me out?[/QUOTE]

If I can get my Bulbasuar to breed, I'll have one for you.

Ahadi, try the breeding section on Seribii. Click a pokemon see all moves including breeding moves and how to breed them.
Do u have a modest Ditto or adamant one.
I have all the starters to trade for one.

Question: When do I get the Rock Climb HM? I'm in Kanto, and have 10-11 Gym badges and I still don't have it. Did I miss it? Is it even possible to miss getting an HM?

*edit* Nevermind. I checked Gamefaqs and I'm not suppossed to have it yet. Soon though!

To everyone who PMed me yesterday, I will be here for a while to give out your shinies like I promised.

assuming any of you are up this late :x

Hey guys seems were all taking a pokebreak.

Looking for a hi level female Yanma/Yanmega.
Prefably with Tinted Lens and Modest nature.
Needed for breeding a sweet pokemon. Will give it back and a free egg.

Also need a Gligar/Gliscor.
maybe Jolly.

thx a bunch

[quote name='adriley313']Hey guys seems were all taking a pokebreak.

Looking for a hi level female Yanma/Yanmega.
Prefably with Tinted Lens and Modest nature.
Needed for breeding a sweet pokemon. Will give it back and a free egg.

Also need a Gligar/Gliscor.
maybe Jolly.

thx a bunch[/QUOTE]

Dont have a Yanma or a Yanmega, but I can give you the lens if you want.

[quote name='adriley313']Hey guys seems were all taking a pokebreak.[/QUOTE]

I am in finals mode, so I don't have much time for pokemon atm. ;)

Tinted Lens is yanma ability that doubles the power of weak moves.
I got the two I need in my pearl and I'm EV Training them there.
Thx a bunch

So will walking around with Eevee in my Pokewalker for the appropriate amount of steps help in my question to get the Happiness evolves for it? And how early can I get those evolutions? I put a level 1 Eevee in my Pokewalker the other day and haven't returned from my walk with it yet.

If anyone has these pokemon please let me know.
The lowest level non-hacked

Bagon- Naive
Zubat- Modest
Charmander- Modest/Timid
Gligar- Jolly with Sand Veil
Yanma- Modest with Tinted Lens

thx a bunch. im willing to trade and trade items too

I hate these stupid Legendary Dogs. And the fact the paralysis works 5% of the time on them. And that I couldn't hypnotize Suicine with 20 attempts. Stupid...stupid.............

Edit: Finally got the stupid thing.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I hate these stupid Legendary Dogs. And the fact the paralysis works 5% of the time on them. And that I couldn't hypnotize Suicine with 20 attempts. Stupid...stupid.............

Edit: Finally got the stupid thing.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, another problem I have is I could have it at red health under hypnosis and I could literally throw over 40 ultra/dusk balls in one encounter at night and not catch it. Actually that's all the legendaries.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Not only that, another problem I have is I could have it at red health under hypnosis and I could literally throw over 40 ultra/dusk balls in one encounter at night and not catch it. Actually that's all the legendaries.[/QUOTE]

That happened to me. Hate it literally one hit away from dying and still couldn't catch it. I'm trying to save my Masterball, but these damn things aren't making it easy. I also hate how they can run away despite being asleep.

[quote name='adriley313']If anyone has these pokemon please let me know.
The lowest level non-hacked

Bagon- Naive
Zubat- Modest
Charmander- Modest/Timid
Gligar- Jolly with Sand Veil
Yanma- Modest with Tinted Lens

thx a bunch. im willing to trade and trade items too[/QUOTE]

I'm breeding Charmanders, and I fluked a Timid one. Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to WiFi. Sorry.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I hate these stupid Legendary Dogs. And the fact the paralysis works 5% of the time on them. And that I couldn't hypnotize Suicine with 20 attempts. Stupid...stupid.............

Edit: Finally got the stupid thing.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Not only that, another problem I have is I could have it at red health under hypnosis and I could literally throw over 40 ultra/dusk balls in one encounter at night and not catch it. Actually that's all the legendaries.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='craven_fiend']That happened to me. Hate it literally one hit away from dying and still couldn't catch it. I'm trying to save my Masterball, but these damn things aren't making it easy. I also hate how they can run away despite being asleep.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I remember what a bitch it was to catch the dogs in LeafGreen since you never had any idea where they might pop up. I think for the NDS games, you can view them on the map, but the encounters on the GBA games were entirely random.
I wanted to catch all 3 dogs, so I had to beat the game three times and search around aimlessly till I found them. :bomb:

I have a level one Timid Ninetales,
it has been breed and has Nasty Plot, Hypnosis, Energy Ball and Flame thrower, how do I properly EV train this? Do I use particular vitamins like Carbos? (I have both Plat and Heartgold), or at this point do I just level it>?

[quote name='guardkitty']I have a level one Timid Ninetales,
it has been breed and has Nasty Plot, Hypnosis, Energy Ball and Flame thrower, how do I properly EV train this? Do I use particular vitamins like Carbos? (I have both Plat and Heartgold), or at this point do I just level it>?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='guardkitty']I have a level one Timid Ninetales,
it has been breed and has Nasty Plot, Hypnosis, Energy Ball and Flame thrower, how do I properly EV train this? Do I use particular vitamins like Carbos? (I have both Plat and Heartgold), or at this point do I just level it>?[/QUOTE]

252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe is what they did on Smogon for that moveset.

You can use vitamins, each vitamin gives 10 points. You can use 10 vitamins of 1 type before they have no effect. (So if you used all 20 vitamins, you would still have to manually do 152/4/152)

Serebii suggests these spots

Special Attack - Psyduck/Golduck - Route 35, Route 6, Ilex Forest, Cerulean Cave (Surf)
Psyduck gives 1 points per kill, Golduck gives 2

Speed - Diglett/Dugtrio - Diglett's Cave or Rattata - Bell Tower/Sprout Tower

Diglet gives 1 point per kill, Dugtrio 2

Special Defense - Tentacool/Tentacruel - Route 34, Route 40, New Bark Town, Cherrygrove City, Olivine City, Cianwood City, Route 19, Route 20, Route 21, Route 26, Route 27, Pallet Town, Vermillion City, Cinnabar Island
Tentacool gives 1 points per kill, tentacruel gives 2

Normally I would suggest you use the items to boost the amount of EV points you get, but since you are using a level 1 pokemon you will likely want to use Exp. Shar (which gives full credit for EV points). You could use the ev boosting items and switch out every match but I usually just use the Exp share because the constant switching annoys me.

edit:

The EV boosting items are

• [*]Power Weight - Hit Points
    [*]Power Bracer - Attack
    [*]Power Belt - Defense
    [*]Power Anklet - Speed
    [*]Power Lens - Special Attack
    [*]Power Band - Special Defense
They add 4 points to each kill, for the value listed.

I want to shoot whoever came up with the idea of voltorb flip. I am fine with logic games, and I am fine with random games, but this is starting to fucking annoy me that I actually spend time planning out the grid and my next move only to lose because of the randomness.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I want to shoot whoever came up with the idea of voltorb flip. I am fine with logic games, and I am fine with random games, but this is starting to fucking annoy me that I actually spend time planning out the grid and my next move only to lose because of the randomness.[/QUOTE]

It is far too tedious. I want to get to 9999, but that's not happening anytime soon. Give me some slots and I'll be alright, just might have to reset a ton.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I want to shoot whoever came up with the idea of voltorb flip. I am fine with logic games, and I am fine with random games, but this is starting to fucking annoy me that I actually spend time planning out the grid and my next move only to lose because of the randomness.[/QUOTE]When I first started playing it I hated the hell out of the thing. Now I just kinda zone out while I flip tiles and within an hour I'm up at least 4000 coins, just takes some time.

[quote name='maigoyume']Wait till you try and catch latias/latios, they can use refresh to remove stat effects :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Really? :bomb:

bread's done
Back