Official Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver thread of 10 year nostalgia rush

So I just managed to do two things:

#1 - Beat Elite 4 for the second time around. Although I had to use 2 Legendaries, I'm glad I got through it. They really seemed to step up the difficulty in this version from the original. While appreciated in some areas, given the overall density between cities, it's not always a good thing.

#2 - I managed to get Claire's phone #. That fight is terribly designed. It just becomes a 2-on-1 situation so easily, yet if you win they say 'great teamwork' when yet in fact it was me carrying my rival's sorry ass across the finish line.

I've been re-fighting Gym leaders for the past hour or so, and I'm down to 4 of the 13 I originally had available to me (I haven't fought Blue, Pryce, Blue or Sabrina). I haven't fought Claire yet either in case anyone cared. I'm just under 40 hours in the game right now, and despite it being harder, I've pretty much tore through this game really fast while still managing a fairly high and balanced team of Pokemon. If I can get 3 of the 4 non-legendaries up to level 70 I should be able to beat Red.

Anyone have a notion as to why there's a $9 price difference beetween HeartGold and SoulSilver on Amazon?

[quote name='KingBroly']#2 - I managed to get Claire's phone #. That fight is terribly designed. It just becomes a 2-on-1 situation so easily, yet if you win they say 'great teamwork' when yet in fact it was me carrying my rival's sorry ass across the finish line.[/QUOTE]
That battle is a joke for your Rival. Crobat and Gengar only have speed which is irrelevant since they're under leveled compared to Lance and Clair's pokemon.

[quote name='bitzer']Anyone have a notion as to why there's a $9 price difference beetween HeartGold and SoulSilver on Amazon?[/QUOTE]
Walmart has HG for the price. Amazon always matches it. That's why it goes up and down a lot.

Saw this and thought it was funny as hell.

d997c8ce.jpg

[quote name='DQT']The secret genius of the Pokewalker is that you can still accomplish stuff without having to open your DS. :D[/QUOTE]

Too bad your pokemon won't learn moves while it levels, and I assume it won't give you the opportunity to evolve if you obtain the level at which said pokemon is to evolve via the pokewalker. I would also imagine that the stats you receive while pokewalking are extremely baseline and lower than if you were to obtain the levels via battling other pokemon.

For obtaining items, new pokemon, and I guess making your pokemon happy it's good. Although I have no real idea how to gauge happiness or to gauge the effectiveness at which doing certain things effect happiness so i don't know. What I do know is that my togepi won't evolve!

You can always get your pokemon to learn missed moves later, level them up once outside the 'walker too evolve them, and since the experience points earned in the walker are without EVs it's a great way to train them before or after EV training.

I just captured my first 3 pokemon. Now what? Is this all there is to this game? Random walking around to run into Pokemon and capture them? Am I missing something?

There really isn't much need in the single-player portion of the game for grinding or catching them all. Just keep going and whenever you come across a wild pokemon that has a typing lacking in your team catch one. Once you get a feel for which pokemon you like in your team and raise them some it'll stick with you more.

[quote name='Filbert']You can always get your pokemon to learn missed moves later, level them up once outside the 'walker too evolve them, and since the experience points earned in the walker are without EVs it's a great way to train them before or after EV training.[/QUOTE]

I haven't read up on it at all, so I'm glad to hear that it doesn't affect EVs...

The Pokewalker is dissapointing a bit. Since, it can only raise the level of your Pokemon by 1. I was thinking steps would matter and would give your pokemon experience points based on the number of steps you walked. Would've been a great idea if it was implemented (at least in my opinion).

I have so many games I need to play as of late, I think I should start with this one first. Might head to my room and just play this for an hour or so having my fan blasting on me.

[quote name='javeryh']I just captured my first 3 pokemon. Now what? Is this all there is to this game? Random walking around to run into Pokemon and capture them? Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

the main quest is to beat the gym leaders and then beat the elite 4. Capturing new pokemon can help you do that.

[quote name='Filbert']There really isn't much need in the single-player portion of the game for grinding or catching them all. Just keep going and whenever you come across a wild pokemon that has a typing lacking in your team catch one. Once you get a feel for which pokemon you like in your team and raise them some it'll stick with you more.[/QUOTE]

Regardless though you want to make room for a Growlith/Arcanine.

And you can sell them in two words. Fire. Dog. 'nuff said!

...if you have gold that is.

I'm okay with the Pokewalker having a 1lv limit. With all the walking I do, I'm afraid to find out that I put in a lv1 pokemon one day and by the time I put it back at the end, I'll have a lv 50.

Heh, Feraligatr hates small spaces. It gets pissy.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']The Pokewalker is dissapointing a bit. Since, it can only raise the level of your Pokemon by 1. I was thinking steps would matter and would give your pokemon experience points based on the number of steps you walked. Would've been a great idea if it was implemented (at least in my opinion).

I have so many games I need to play as of late, I think I should start with this one first. Might head to my room and just play this for an hour or so having my fan blasting on me.[/QUOTE]

If you were to put a pokemon in your pokewalker and take it out a few weeks later, assuming you walked a substantial amount each day, you could have a maxed out pokemon, level wise. While that would be cool, it'd also make the 2nd half of the game even easier.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I'm okay with the Pokewalker having a 1lv limit. With all the walking I do, I'm afraid to find out that I put in a lv1 pokemon one day and by the time I put it back at the end, I'll have a lv 50.

Heh, Feraligatr hates small spaces. It gets pissy.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, though a level 50 Unown is better than a level 1....but they both still stink.

I have to get back into this game eventually, it;s not that I am bored with it. It's just that I am getting a ton of games in at once. After I get my Amazon credit in, I will have gotten 5 games in the past 3 weeks.

Yeah, obtaining Heart Scales is a big pain in the ass to compensate for the inability to learn moves through the walker. Getting heart scales is a pain in the ass in general.

I also want to start new games too. I just got Valkyrie Profile for PSP. Which coincidentally came out for the PS around the same time the original Pokemon Gold and Silver came out for GBC.

Shockingly I did not find the same giddiness in HG that I did back in the days of Gold and Crystal, and I think I know why. In the decade old originals the Johto journey was treated as the main game and Kanto as just an extra bit, now it is almost entirely reversed. The result being that Johto is insanely easy while Kanto has had its difficulty level upped to a ridiculous level. If I had wanted a challenge in Kanto I would have been playing a Poke'mon game with Kanto as the main region. G/S/C is seriously my favorite generation of Poke'mon and it shouldn't have been dulled down like that for the first part no matter what the reason.

By the by, what is the difficulty in the Orange Islands like for HG & SS? I haven't reached it as of yet.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']
6xx3ic.jpg

:lol:[/QUOTE]

Wow, now I feel dumb giving the one I got to my niece.

[quote name='DQT']Yeah, obtaining Heart Scales is a big pain in the ass to compensate for the inability to learn moves through the walker. Getting heart scales is a pain in the ass in general.[/QUOTE]

I was getting them like candy from a vending machine using the pokewalker. It definitely was not a pain in the ass.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Wow, now I feel dumb giving the one I got to my niece.

I was getting them like candy from a vending machine using the pokewalker. It definitely was not a pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]

Hell, I was using Linoone to "Covet" them from Luvdisc when they were swarming. I also found some on one of the Pokewalker routes. I have 45 or 46 of them now.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Wow, now I feel dumb giving the one I got to my niece.[/QUOTE]

Is that one of the ones you get for preordering? If it is, my Kmart had them clearanced and had half off a few weeks ago, could've gotten a handful for $2.50 a pop. May go back and check if that is indeed what they were.

[quote name='craven_fiend']Is that one of the ones you get for preordering? If it is, my Kmart had them clearanced and had half off a few weeks ago, could've gotten a handful for $2.50 a pop. May go back and check if that is indeed what they were.[/QUOTE]

Just because someone is asking $199 on ebay for one of these, doesn't mean he'll actually sell any. I still have Lugia and Ho-Oh figures sitting in the boxes. My damn nephew took them out of the plastic though! :bomb:

[quote name='mogamer']Just because someone is asking $199 on ebay for one of these, doesn't mean he'll actually sell any. I still have Lugia and Ho-Oh figures sitting in the boxes. My damn nephew took them out of the plastic though! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

The history shows 5 have sold. ;)

[quote name='Ryukahn']The history shows 5 have sold. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm not really familiar with the way that works... does that mean that all five were sold for the same price? I mean, could you sell one for $25... up the second price, then up the third, etc...?

[quote name='Ryukahn']

I was getting them like candy from a vending machine using the pokewalker. It definitely was not a pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]

Which route did you use? I've been so preoccupied with the DLC routes. Never thought to use it.

I've been meaning to ask, does the Mom continue to buy those items in perpetuity? I really don't need that many Yache and Babiri Berries.

It does say 5 sold but the prices are not 200.00

Three were sold for 9.99 and 2 for 19.99.

Why people would spend so much for that, well people are simply idiots :) it's not like these things were rare, and though icedrake keep talking about people raiding Target or whatever, I mean there are still stores out there that still have these as some people have noticed. Hell if you really want it that badly go to Walmart, not only do you get the figurine you get the game and a pokewalker cover.

Not, the 199.99 no one has bought it at that price. Perhaps the guy didn't notice adding the extra 9. He probably was trying to sell it at 20 dollars again. Seriously go to any Walmart and you can get it and everything else for 40 bucks.

These are not rare as they are out there still.

Anyways, I need to get back to playing, but definitely a little poke'od out!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DQT']Which route did you use? I've been so preoccupied with the DLC routes. Never thought to use it.

I've been meaning to ask, does the Mom continue to buy those items in perpetuity? I really don't need that many Yache and Babiri Berries.[/QUOTE]

I used Beautiful Beach. At 2000 steps, it has a 20% chance of showing up. At 5000+, it goes down to 9%, but they were still appearing like candy for me. I got ~25 of them in about an hour, with most of that time shaking the pokewalker while I watched TV to gain watts.

Your mom will continue to buy the stuff. I have tons of in game money so I do not really care about her spending some of it, though I agree all of those berries can be annoying. I think I have 30+ of each of them.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I used Beautiful Beach. At 2000 steps, it has a 20% chance of showing up. At 5000+, it goes down to 9%, but they were still appearing like candy for me. I got ~25 of them in about an hour, with most of that time shaking the pokewalker while I watched TV to gain watts.

Your mom will continue to buy the stuff. I have tons of in game money so I do not really care about her spending some of it, though I agree all of those berries can be annoying. I think I have 30+ of each of them.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Rock smashing sucks.

CAG, I need to know something. Is there a way to erase phone numbers from your pokegear? I can't stand getting a call every 2 minutes. If Joey calls me again to tell me how his Rattata is better than other Rattata, then someone is gonna get a paddling.

Lol Joey, such a talkative young lad. "Hey! I just wanted to let you know my Rattata just went into a battle and defeated the wild pokemon! Well cya."

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Lol Joey, such a talkative young lad. "Hey! I just wanted to let you know my Rattata just went into a battle and defeated the wild pokemon! Well cya."[/QUOTE]
Acn8e.jpg

Lol! Doomed! Hahaha.

Yeah, that trading Pokemon to get them to be evolved is annoying. But, thank god they put in Wi-fi for this game... I don't think I'd be able to evolve any Pokemon that need to be traded if it weren't for that.

Speaking of which, is there anyway to obtain more (insert word) Stones? I want to get a Nidoqueen but also want to get a Nidoking as well. Is that possible without trading?

Pokewalker works best for getting stones, but it depends on what courses you've unlocked.

You can get a moonstone once a week up at Mt. Moon at night time (can't remember which day)

Other stones you can trade points for at the pokeathlon.

Thank you Maigoyume.

DQT, I do have Leafgreen, but don't know if you can trade items between both games. Maybe if you attach an item to a pokemon then send him over?

Yes that way you can do.
If youve made it to Kanto go see Bill's grandpa north of Cerlean up on the cape.
Show him the 5 pokemon and youll get a full set of stones.

Lickitung
Staryu
Vulpix/ponyta
Oddish
Pikachu

i thinl those are the pokemon

[quote name='adriley313']

Lickitung
Staryu
Vulpix/ponyta
Oddish
Pikachu

i thinl those are the pokemon[/QUOTE] Must be diff for HG, I had to show him Growlithe, Jigglypuff, Marill, and 2 others

Could be just random Pokemon too as well though. I still need to beat the Gym leaders in my game. :p

So, anyone want to do a tournament for this game later on or something? I remember someone trying to set one up a few months back.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Thank you Maigoyume.

DQT, I do have Leafgreen, but don't know if you can trade items between both games. Maybe if you attach an item to a pokemon then send him over?[/QUOTE]

If you have a non DSi you should be able to reach Pal Park in Fuschia post Elite 4. Pal Park allows you to import Pokemon from the GBA games. All you gotta do is buy the stones in Celadon City in LG, give em to some pokes, and import them for some extra evolution stones.

The Gen IV stones can be obtained for fairly reasonable point prices in the Pokeathalon.

Is there a way to trade my pokemon from diamond to soul silver?I mean like give my pokemon away instead of catching a bunch of pidgeys?

[quote name='snakelda']Is there a way to trade my pokemon from diamond to soul silver?I mean like give my pokemon away instead of catching a bunch of pidgeys?[/QUOTE]nope. you gotta trade something to get something. :/

The other day the radio said there was a swarm of Qwilfish. I turned if off b/c I didn't have time to get one then. I turn it on later the same day, and the swarm was Whiscash. It's been 3 straight days of Whiscash now.

bread's done
Back