Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Metagame, Friendcodes, Battling & Trading!

SL4IN, Ima talk a wild guess that you also got the japanese import of D/P before it hit the states. If you did, do you remember how long the delay was from Japan release to domestic. I ask b/c I'm thinking of restarting my gf's diamond game but don't really want to if its gonna come out in Oct., etc.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']SL4IN, Ima talk a wild guess that you also got the japanese import of D/P before it hit the states. If you did, do you remember how long the delay was from Japan release to domestic. I ask b/c I'm thinking of restarting my gf's diamond game but don't really want to if its gonna come out in Oct., etc.[/quote]

If nintendo sticks to the same schedule as they did with D/P (which released september 28th, 2007) then we can expect Platinum to launch April of 2009. But, there's also some hope that we may get it a little earlier than that, because of localization times getting faster.

Regardless, I'd say the safe bet is nintendo is shooting for an April release to bring platinum stateside.

Yeah, I have heard about this for a while and to finally see it makes me really anxious.
But you said the game was based on Giratina... but Giratina has 4 legs... this thing just has wings. What i Suspect is that It is Giratina, but its the flight version of it just like Shaymin. What i also suspect is that its gonna be alot more powerful cause its playing a bigger role somehow.

Edit: I correct myself, it doesn't have wings...it has weird tentacle things. Now i really can't wait. I have Diamond and pearl and they are the best games ever. >.< I wish i lived in Japan! Lucky CheapD

in a mere 12 days or less, my copy of Pokemon Platinum will be leaving hong kong and head for my little house in east Texas. I'm sooooooooo excited.

edit: lol. Thanks for catcing that pete. It was late and I had been going on little to no sleep -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
I still haven't gotten around to playing Pearl (other than to download Darkrai and Deoxsys), but I will no doubt be purchasing this game when it hits the states. Damn my collecting addiction!

Yeah, I was really surprised when I recieved an email saying that my pre-order copy had shipped since it's release date is September 13. On top of that, my ship date was on or before September 16, but I'm not going to complain if it's en-route to early ;)

A lot of things look different, the pokemon look better and you get your starter pokemon without going to the lake like in D/P. Need to level up more for my first badge.

I didn't play that far into Pokemon Pearl when I had it. I just watched that Japanese commercial, and I was curious if some of that 3D stuff I saw was in Pearl. Like where the environment is moving with the character and such.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then you're wondering about the "Torn World" which is brand new to Platinum.

I'll post my impressions when my copy gets to me, sometime next week. First round of tests will be over, so I'll have plenty of time to play.

I was thinking of importing platinum, but I thought it'd be great to get extra legendaries etc for my english pokemon platinum, but I think I'll just get the usa one or I might import since I like how their boxart shines I guess I'll import it when I find a coupon to use on it..

Serebii.net has alot of information on platinum some info on the pokemon and the elite four.. =D

The beginning of this game is definitely different than D/P.

The professor approaches your character, it seems, and offers you a pokemon, instead of you finding his briefcase near the lake.

Just a little tidbit.

Wait till you see the new Wifi global trade building with what I believe has battling arcades, don't really want to try them yet as my pokemon are still underleveled.

[quote name='lokizz']these handheld pokemon games are cool and all but its way past time for them to make a competent 3d pokemn game
yesa.jpg
where you can catch pokemon in a fully realized world and have battles that are more than the basic turn based rpg fare. something liek that would go a long way to show others that theyre not just about lame remakes but they will keep doing it because they know nintendo fanboys will eat up anything they crap out.[/quote]

I remember they tried to do the 3d battles on SNES or N64, one of those. Failed horribly, lol.

[quote name='chinchillables']I remember they tried to do the 3d battles on SNES or N64, one of those. Failed horribly, lol.[/quote]

I believe you're thinking of a Pokemon Stadium for the N64 and it was no failure.

OT, this thread has been long overdue for an update with Platinum since I recently finished the main games' story. Hopefully I'll have one up this weekend with my experience with the game, and hopefully this thread will become the Official Pokemon Platinum thread as I hope to update with information about the US title as news comes in.

Nintendo is giving away the members card over Wi-Fi for Platinum owners right now until january 15th. This card lets you into the locked house in Canalave city, and when your character rests on the bed, he wakes up on New Moon Island and is able to catch Darkrai. I'll hopefully post a video of my run at catching him.

Official release date = March 22, 2009

Gonna be an expensive couple of days for the DS with this title and GTA Chinatown coming out that close to one another.

EDIT: Date via Kotaku from Nintendo Press Release

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree lilboo, I have ambitions of playing competitively, but have always only played the metagame. Therefore, I'm not sure about this yet. But here is an article detailing some of the new stuff..

"Pokémon Platinum features a new story full of adventure, never-before-seen forms of powerful Pokémon -- including the legendary Giratina's Origin Forme -- and the Distortion World, a mysterious new world that suddenly appears in the Sinnoh region. In addition, with Pokémon Platinum up to 20 players can interact with other Pokémon fans from around the world in the new Wi-Fi Plaza, featuring mini-games and activities. Players can also enjoy the new features in the Global Terminal, such as posting battle videos using the new "Vs. Recorder." In addition, Pokémon Platinum features a new Battle Frontier, where the toughest Trainers can test their skills in new ways."

- From G4

I don't know how much of a new story we can expect, but unless SL4IN can read Japanese :lol:, I'll prob just wait from some spoilers.

Wow I played through Pearl but this looks so cool! And my favorite color! :p

Looks like there is a lot of new content and I might wanna get back into competitive battling since it will be alive and well again

Anyone else notice Japanese magazines are so colorful?

Anyone on the fence about picking this up....I can wholly guarantee that Platinum is full worth your time, even if you just play the metagame. It only took me about 20 hours to play through the main story, but after you finish, there is so much extra to do (all the new wifi stuff, rechallenge the elite four with new and beefed up Pokemon, go through the gym leaders again with their new levels and lineups, try the all the new battle frontier which has six different towers) it's absolutely ridiculous all the new content in Platinum. It was a little overwhelming on what to do first to say the least.

Also, very, very glad the thread got bumped, really want this to stay the official Platinum thread.

can this thread also be for general pokemon discussion?

do you guys have all the main games?
i only have yellow, silver, crystal, ruby, and leafgreen.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']

I don't know how much of a new story we can expect, but unless SL4IN can read Japanese :lol:, I'll prob just wait from some spoilers.[/quote]

Without knowing much about the dialog in Platinum, I can say that there's a new character in the main story, Detective Handsome (japanese name), and he is quite possibly the most hilarious character I've seen from the pokemon games. He runs in to you from time to time, acts incredibly weird and points out the obvious. Good comic relief.

[quote name='Dr. Ghost']can this thread also be for general pokemon discussion?

do you guys have all the main games?
i only have yellow, silver, crystal, ruby, and leafgreen.[/quote]

There used to be a thread, but it's long and buried, I suppose it wouldn't hurt for a general Pokemon Thread though since this will most likely be the exclusive Platinum Thread in the next few months.

I'm interested, since I haven't played Diamond or Pearl. The last one I played was Sapphire on the GBA and it wasn't shabby. I just don't know if I can stare at a small screen for hours on end without ripping my eyeballs out. :p

[quote name='Dr. Ghost']does Prima publish the official Pokemon strategy guides, or does Nintendo do it?[/quote]

They both do. With Diamond and Pearl, they both published a game guide and a Pokedex.

[quote name='Dr. Ghost']which version is better?[/quote]

I prefer Nintendo's guide for the metagame, as it's much more organized and less of a cluster fuck as Prima's is, but I also prefer Prima's pokedex as it's more comprehensive and I feel they give you more information in it. The main problem with Prima's metagame guide, is that they try to deliver everything to you at once, while Nintendo's guide simply takes you through the game in the order it was meant to be played, and worries about all the extra stuff later.

This game hopefully will let you capture all the pokemon from every game, but I highly doubt it will.

I'll be waiting to pick this up, as I've lost my Pokemon Diamond game, and my brother's Pokemon Pearl game is broken pretty much. So I'm really needing another Pokemon game, if I can get one from my friends that'd be cool, but I highly doubt they'd just give me the game.

Well, I just got my version and started playing through it. It's kind of neat to see the Japanese names for the pokemon and moves. I need to figure out how to get that Darkrai thing before Jan 15, I guess.

As much as I tell myself that I will not get this game, I know that I will.

I sold my Diamond which had a ridiculous amount of rare pokemon that I got over the GTS. So now I am thinking of rebuying it just to get regigas and shaymin before platinum comes out. So much for not getting suckered into spending the money again.

bread's done
Back