CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
pop.jpg

Official site: http://www.princeofpersiagame.com/

DLC info (thanks to freakyzeeky):
[quote name='freakyzeeky']
imgwppop4princexd0.png

Today Ubisoft revealed new details about Prince of Persia Epilogue Downloadable Content (DLC). Scheduled to release for consoles February 26, 2009, Prince of Persia DLC continues the story of the Prince and Elika with a brand-new epic adventure. Game features include:

• New Region:
    The Underground Palace – A corrupted underground palace from which the Prince and Elika need to escape in a new epic journey.
  • New Power:
    Energize – Reconstruct destroyed areas of the environment to create a path and rush through it before it vanishes.
  • New high pace:
    The new trap challenge – The Prince and Elika will face more cunning foes, cleverer traps and level design, adding more to the difficulty level in over 3 hours of gameplay.
  • New Attack:
    Sprinting Clash – A duel move that lets you or the enemy trigger a sprint attack, charging towards each other, clashing your weapons fiercely.
  • New Unlockable Skins:
    Finish the game and unlock exclusively, from the early development of the game, the Prototype characters of the Prince and Elika.
  • New Trophies:
    Yet to be announced.

Read the full interview with Jamal Rguigui, Associate Producer for the Epilogue DLC at IGN

http://www.ps3trophies.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14992[/QUOTE]

Plot:
Set in a land rooted in ancient Persian mythology, the Prince finds himself caught in an epic battle between the primal forces of light and darkness: the God of Light, Ormazd versus his brother Ahriman, the destructive God of Darkness. The Prince arrives just in time to witness the destruction of the legendary Tree of Life – an act which threatens to plunge the entire world into eternal darkness. Manifested in the form of the Corruption, a dark substance that physically contaminates the land and the skies, the Prince must partner with Elika, a deadly companion, to heal the world from the evil Corruption.

Gameplay:
The gameplay in Prince of Persia will retain a very similar feel to the Sands of Time trilogy, in the sense that the acrobatics, puzzle solving, and combat elements will all still be intact. However, the game is non-linear, and hence, the player is given the opportunity to explore any part of the world at any time they want to.

A new supporting character, Elika, will have a large role in game play, in a sense where she saves the Prince from death while in combat or exploring the world. Ubisoft has emphasized that the Prince will not "die" in this game, as Elika will save him from any danger and bring him back to the last safe point of the game. For example, if the Prince slips and misses a jump, instead of falling to his death, Elika will grab him, and set him back on higher ground. Elika can also perform many combat moves, some in tandem with the Prince. If the Prince is downed in combat, Elika can protect him as he regains his energy. She also assists him in acrobatics. She boosts the Prince further than he can jump alone using her magical abilities. She is also very acrobatic, performing the same moves as the Prince, with ease. When solving puzzles, Elika plays a role as well. If the Prince does not know where to go next, Elika will guide him in the right direction with a magic compass.

Combat will largely differ from that in the Sands of Time trilogy, but is similar to that of the original Prince of Persia trilogy. The majority of combat is one-on-one combat, instead of fighting off hordes of enemies as in the Sands of Time trilogy. The Prince wields a sword, but he also uses his gauntlet as a secondary weapon, using it to block enemy attacks and hurl his opponents in the air by grabbing them. There are four main combat buttons: "sword button", by which the Prince uses his sword to attack enemies; "gauntlet button", by which he can lift and throw up enemies; "Elika button", by which Elika uses her magic to hit enemies; and "acrobatics button", which is useful for dodging and jumping over enemies and interacting with Elika and the environment during combat.

There are three stages of the Prince's health in combat: "healthy," "weakened," and "grounded." When the Prince is in his "healthy" state, he is "swift and energetic" as he battles. When an enemy strikes the Prince, he goes into his "weakened" state. He is not as agile in his "weakened" state, and is more vulnerable to being attacked. When the enemy hits the Prince when he is "weakened," the Prince becomes "grounded." He lies on the ground, vulnerable to all enemy attacks. If an enemy attempts to attack again before the Prince recovers, however, Elika will drive back the enemy and put the Prince back to his "healthy" state, but at a cost; the enemy also returns to full health.

Acrobatics remain largely unchanged from the Sands of Time trilogy, except that Elika will now provide acrobatic support. The Prince is capable of running on walls, sliding down walls, climbing walls, and jumping from wall-to-wall. The Prince utilizes his gauntlet as a tool to break the fall as he slides down a wall. Elika also plays a large role in acrobatics. Elika boosts the Prince further than he can normally go, she saves him if he misses a jump, and she herself is very capable and agile. As the game progresses, the Prince can collect certain concentrated "light seeds" of magic and trade them to get Elika new magical powers.

Characters:

The Prince
The Prince is a new character, different from the protagonist of the Sands of Time trilogy. Producer Ben Mattes explained that their goal was to create an accessible action hero. The character is a normal person, not a noble prince. The inspiration for this character has been drawn from adventurers like Sinbad in the One Thousand and One Nights, Han Solo from Star Wars, and Aragorn from The Lord of the Rings.

He is an extremely agile and cunning warrior, proving to be an able swordsman. Ubisoft has stated that the Prince will have all his abilities in the beginning of the game. He wears clothes with a red and blue color scheme. He wields a sword in his right hand and wears a spiked gauntlet on his left hand. The gauntlet is the Prince's secondary weapon, and is also a tool that allows him to perform feats such as sliding down from high places without being harmed.

Elika
The game producers explained that they wanted a secondary character who would be an actual partner to the Prince in a true sense with being a helpful and a friendly asset, and "not become any kind of burden on him or his way". It is claimed that Elika is as large an innovation to this game as the time-controlling powers of the Prince were in the Sands of Time trilogy. The inspiration to create Elika was drawn from supporting characters from other media, like Elizabeth Swann from the Pirates of the Caribbean film series; Padmé Amidala from Star Wars; and Arwen from the Lord of the Rings film trilogy.

Elika is described as a "deadly ally," and a strong supporting character, who will affect every aspect of the game, as she accompanies the Prince throughout the game. This includes exploration, combat and puzzle-solving. A descendant of the Ahuras, she can perform some special moves in tandem with the Prince, and use her magical abilities to aid the Prince in his quest. She is also able to guide the Prince on the right track in case he is lost in his way in the game and can assist him in solving multiple puzzles as well.

Trailers:

Debut trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34503.html
E3 2008 trailer (my favorite): http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36270.html
Launch trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42673.html
Walkthrough trailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42827.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42829.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42834.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42836.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I still haven't finished the Two Thrones but this looks good.

I'm one of the few people who didn't hate Warrior Within so it will take a lot for them to disappoint me.

I wish amazon would ship out : ( I chose next day delivery and it still says the 4th.. free limited edition upgrade + 10 dollars off future purchase? Yeah definite buy.

I've never actually played any of the previous games, but this is looking pretty cool. Hopefully there's going to be a demo - I'm not a big fan of buying before trying.

[quote name='ducttapeBigSexy']I've never actually played any of the previous games, but this is looking pretty cool. Hopefully there's going to be a demo - I'm not a big fan of buying before trying.[/quote]

Go and get The Sands of Time quick! It's really cheap and one of the best games from last generation.

I definitely want this game; it reminds me of Sands of time. Seeing the cell shaded graphics makes me feel like this is an RPG. Does this game have trophies?

[quote name='depascal22']Go and get The Sands of Time quick! It's really cheap and one of the best games from last generation.[/quote]

I always thought about it, but idk, was one of those games I always passed on every time I saw it. Then again, I've been doing the same thing with Shadow of the Colossus; guess it's finally time to get both :)

still not sure if i should put the money down for this one even after watching the video review on ign...mostly because of the length of the game and because its apparently very easy.

so i am trying to decide between this and Eternal Sonata or maybe even dead space

Is the PS3 version going to be "gimped" compared to the 360 version?

[quote name='Blackout']Is the PS3 version going to be "gimped" compared to the 360 version?[/quote]

Define "gimped". From what I've read, PS3 was the lead system, so my guess is going to be no.

[quote name='thelonepig']Define "gimped". From what I've read, PS3 was the lead system, so my guess is going to be no.[/quote]

Oh ok that's good. What I meant by gimped is that there is some problem with the PS3 version of the game that isn't found on the 360 version. Sometimes that seems to happen.

[quote name='Blackout']Oh ok that's good. What I meant by gimped is that there is some problem with the PS3 version of the game that isn't found on the 360 version. Sometimes that seems to happen.[/quote]

I tried to find a source for the lead platform, but didn't come up with anything credible, so that may have been just a rumor. I'm sure Rei or MK could pull out a link if it's been officially stated.

It is a shame that the PS3 sometimes gets the short end of the stick when it comes to quality (like Orange Box).

[quote name='thelonepig']I tried to find a source for the lead platform, but didn't come up with anything credible, so that may have been just a rumor. I'm sure Rei or MK could pull out a link if it's been officially stated.

It is a shame that the PS3 sometimes gets the short end of the stick when it comes to quality (like Orange Box).[/quote]

Yeah it does suck. I was going to get the 360 version but now that the PS3 version has trophies, I might just pick up that version if it turns out ok.

[quote name='thelonepig']I tried to find a source for the lead platform, but didn't come up with anything credible, so that may have been just a rumor. I'm sure Rei or MK could pull out a link if it's been officially stated.

It is a shame that the PS3 sometimes gets the short end of the stick when it comes to quality (like Orange Box).[/QUOTE]
I don't have an official link on the lead platform, but all impressions so far say both versions are identical for the most part. All I could find is that the PS3 version has a few more jaggies. So it all comes down to controller/console preference.

The gameplay in Prince of Persia will retain a very similar feel to the Sands of Time trilogy, in the sense that the acrobatics, puzzle solving, and combat elements will all still be intact. However, the game is non-linear, and hence, the player is given the opportunity to explore any part of the world at any time they want to.
Kind of kills me enthusiasm for the game. I wanted a good ole linear action/adventure game to play this year and I thought this would fit that bill. I am getting kind of sick with sandbox games and have had more fun with MGS4/Uncharted/Ratchet and Clank, all games in the linear mold and thought this would be the same. Ohh well.

It's not open world like a sandbox game. Each area is still linear. The non-linear part is that you can choose which areas to tackle first.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It's not open world like a sandbox game. Each area is still linear. The non-linear part is that you can choose which areas to tackle first.[/quote]

Yeah... I don't like choices really. (except which guy to kill first. :) )

Hopefully there's a deal on this game around Christmas for 40 bucks. I got too much on my plate right now.

For anyone that picks up the Limited Edition, is the code for the classic Prince skin a one-time use DLC code or an in-game "cheat" like the Far Cry 2 bonus missions? Thanks!

I think it's a code to be redeemed. Only comes with the Gamestop preorder.
Mine won't be shipping from Amazon till next week :\

How do battles work? I've always wanted a sword fighting game in which humans died from one slice, but getting an open shot was really difficult.

[quote name='Thomas96']I definitely want this game; it reminds me of Sands of time. Seeing the cell shaded graphics makes me feel like this is an RPG. Does this game have trophies?[/quote]

Yes it has trophies, check out them at www.ps3trophies.com

Also is the main character the same as the Sand in Time series?

For those who pre-ordered and got the LE, how did the skin code come? Was it inside the box? Or was it a code a clerk had to give you?

[quote name='KingBroly']For those who pre-ordered and got the LE, how did the skin code come? Was it inside the box? Or was it a code a clerk had to give you?[/QUOTE]
Its a sticker on the back of the box with a numerical number that you put in the game from the options menu

[quote name='blueweltall']Is there anyway to get the LE of the game if you didn't preorder?[/QUOTE]
Yes. If you go to most websites, its available and for $60 as well

[quote name='Havok83']Its a sticker on the back of the box with a numerical number that you put in the game from the options menu[/quote]

I'm assuming you put in this number already, right. Because I've heard 2 things about it.

#1 - The codes aren't unique, and will work in anyone's game

#2 - It's a 9 digit code but in the options you can only put in 8 digits

[quote name='blueweltall']Is there anyway to get the LE of the game if you didn't preorder?[/QUOTE]

Try Gamestop still. Mine had a bunch of extra non-preordered copies.

For people who have already opened their Limited Editions, is the game case inside just the normal edition? If so, I may just sell it and purchase it again at a cheaper price.

Also, can anyone confirm that the codes are not unique? Are they just "cheats" in the options menu or do you need to be online? Thanks!

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm assuming you put in this number already, right. Because I've heard 2 things about it.

#1 - The codes aren't unique, and will work in anyone's game

#2 - It's a 9 digit code but in the options you can only put in 8 digits[/quote]Yes I put it in. You are correct about #2. Not sure on #1

[quote name='SoulEdgeVII']For people who have already opened their Limited Editions, is the game case inside just the normal edition? If so, I may just sell it and purchase it again at a cheaper price.

Also, can anyone confirm that the codes are not unique? Are they just "cheats" in the options menu or do you need to be online? Thanks![/quote]
All thats different about the LE is that it has a special paper box and inside it is the regular game case with plastic on it and a cardboard insert with a blu-ray. The game case doesnt even have a Not for Resale tag on the back like other bundles. I dont even see why Ubisoft bothered in making a regular edition and a limited one as it doesnt feel as if whats included justified it. At least it was a free upgrade. The US got screwed over bc the EU set looks sooo much better

[quote name='Havok83']All thats different about the LE is that it has a special paper box and inside it is the regular game case with plastic on it and a cardboard insert with a blu-ray. The game case doesnt even have a Not for Resale tag on the back like other bundles. I dont even see why Ubisoft bothered in making a regular edition and a limited one as it doesnt feel as if whats included justified it. At least it was a free upgrade. The US got screwed over bc the EU set looks sooo much better[/quote]

I love the approach they took with this as it means I don't have to strangle some 15-year-old Gamestop clerk for my preorder gift. :D

I'm really liking the game so far. The graphics and music are beautiful, the Prince and Elika are great characters, and the gameplay is fun. I'm definitely not disappointed.

Hmm...I really shouldn't be buying another game, but this has been getting some good reviews and I love the art from what I've seen. I loved Sands of Time and enjoyed Two Thrones and even managed to enjoy Warrior Within despite their attempts to make it "extreme."

I might have to call/go to my local Gamestop tomorrow to see if they still have any limited editions (even if they aren't that impressive). My Gamestop still owes me for the Valkyria Chronicles preorder bonus mishap (as in I never got it despite being the only preorder of that game for that store).

bread's done
Back