Official PS3 Bluetooth Headset

Chewie67

CAGiversary!
After playing MW2 for months now, I'm finally ready to break down and get a headset. I think I want the Official PS3 Bluetooth Headset, but the cost is ridiculous. $50 for an earpiece?

Unfortunately, this damned thing never seems to go on sale.

Can anyone help me out with a deal? Thanks!

Gamestop has the Official PS3 Headset for 40$ as part of the socom:confrontation Bundle. 40$ is 10$ less then MSRP of the Headset alone, plus you get a game ...granted the game sux but if you sell it sealed maybe a collecter on Ebay will take it off your hands for 10-15$ making the headset 25-30$ (or keep it). Sometimes GS has coupons for new games that can be used in conjunction with the bundle to get it cheaper. But Supplies are limited.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71727

or you can try the UK Version (PS3 Venom VX Comms 2 Headset), It's made by a third party company but the specs and reviews seem promising and you can get it on ebay for like 20$.

Here's My thread I made asking about it.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7526942#post7526942

I personally decided, since you can use a PC usb headset with the PS3, I just picked up a gigaware USB PC Headset from Radioshack for 10$.Ez to set up with no syncing issues or dropped communications (because of wired VS wireless), Sound is Crystal clear (because of the direct wire connection), no worries about charging the headset(because of the direct power source through wired) and its dirt cheap because you can get USB headsets as low as 3$.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine for 20 or 30 dollars a couple years ago on a clearance Tom Clancy Endwar bundle from BB. Unfortunately, I don't think the headset has been bundled with any other games lately.

The cheapest I could find was Sam's Club for 38.72 http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/p...094&pid=Froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=186969

The above Socom bundle would be too bad since you could sell the game to recoup some of the cost.

Amazon has some slightly used ones starting at 33.00 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001BR95PW/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

As Cheko said if you sit close enough to your PS3 you could just use a cheapo USB wired headset and forgo the Bluetooth wireless ones. I'm currently using one of the original PS2 Socom ones and it's the best option for me.

But again, this is only if you sit pretty close to your PS3. Although I think the Socom headset has about a 10 foot cable to it, so you might be able to sit across a smaller room with it.

As for the official PS3 headset I found one of the Tom Clancy's Endwar bundles for either $10 or $20 from an out of town Best Buy a while ago. I tried the headset and I hated it. Then again I hate any of those in-ear headsets/headphones.

Sounds like a lot of people aren't too happy with the Bluetooth.

So what's the next best option? What PS3 headsets to all of you use?

While I'd love a $250 Astro A40, that's just not realistic. Sub $100 is a must.

What makes a good one versus a crappy one? Dolby 5.1? Long cord? Comfort?

[quote name='Chewie67']Sounds like a lot of people aren't too happy with the Bluetooth.

So what's the next best option? What PS3 headsets to all of you use?

While I'd love a $250 Astro A40, that's just not realistic. Sub $100 is a must.

What makes a good one versus a crappy one? Dolby 5.1? Long cord? Comfort?[/QUOTE]
I love my official headset. It's so nice to have the on screen display that tells me if it's on, off, muted, or at what volume. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into a game and I can't hear one of my friends because he can't figure out how to get his headset to work. I hit a button, and i get confirmation that it's up and running.

I used the one from the Warhawk bundle.
I have 2 and one charger that just collct dust since we switched to 360 after our ps3 broke.
I also have a Dell one that works pretty well.

[quote name='nbballard']I love my official headset. It's so nice to have the on screen display that tells me if it's on, off, muted, or at what volume. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into a game and I can't hear one of my friends because he can't figure out how to get his headset to work. I hit a button, and i get confirmation that it's up and running.[/QUOTE]
It works the same for me too. I click the little mute button off. The LED goes from red to blue and I know I'm able to talk to friends.

an LED on the mic? I get a notice on the screen like i would if the battery in my DS3 was dying, or a friend signed on.

I'm not saying any mic is better or worse- i just know that my dumbass friends can't ever get theirs to work, and mine is always ready to go.

Mine is so simple.....even a caveman could do it.:razz: Plug it into the USB port, wait for the LED to light up red, then when you wanna talk press the button in to unmute yourself.

[quote name='Chewie67']Has anyone tried the Turtle Beach Ear Force PX21?

Looks good. Price is in the $70 range.[/QUOTE]

I got one from Best buy recently. Also paid the extra $15 for the 2 year warranty. (It totaled $100.) But it is awesome IMO. I hate bluetooth headsets and until this one I was using regular logitech wired mics. Big improvement.

I like my official bluetooth, I got with the socom bundle for $29.99 at a Target sale last year.. Haven't opened the game yet.. I mostly got it for the headset.. I like the quality and the fact like "nbballard" said the on screen notifications are a nice feature. It comes with 2 size rubber earpieces so you can usually find one that works well for you personally.. I even use it with my cell phone in the car and it works great..

If cost is a factor.. I would do as others have suggested.. Just buy the socom or endwar bundle and sell the game to recoup some costs..

Just a quick follow up on this topic.

I did end up getting the Turtle Beach Ear Force PX21, and so far, I love it. Having the full headphones really makes the game pop. You hear so much more than you can with just TV speakers or even a 5.1 Dolby stereo.

My ears do get a bit sore after an hour or two, but take them off for a few minutes and it's all better.

I'd recommend them.

bread's done
Back