Official San Diego Area CAG List

[quote name='bboynujen']lolita's next to teastation? past that place all the time when i shop at 99 but never tried it out. will do so next time and let you know what i think.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that Lolita's is pretty good. But I like the food at the Bonita onethe best.

Also in the same Plaza with Lolita's on Clairemont... Pho T Cali... one of the best Vietnamese food spots in SD.

I might be down in the area on Sunday. Planned a LAN party with a friend of mine who lives down there and since I'll be in the area, I might go to Kolby's.

[quote name='chaarlieee']Is the Cotixan you're talking about in Clairemont next to Ralphs, Hollywood Video, Napa auto parts (I think), etc?[/QUOTE]
I believe that's the one I was referring to, which is actually the Genesee one. Yeah because I remember seeing it when I went to Gamecrazy in the area.

As for Pho, I don't really like the stuff. I'd rather have the vermicelli instead, I just can't handle the tripe and smell of Pho.

Hmm, another notable Mexican Food place I used to go to was Colima's, which had some darn good carne asada burritos. They also give large ass servings and when I tried to eat their supreme quesadilla, I almost exploded, it's basically a carne asada burrito in quesadilla form. Only one I know of is the one in Bonita. Ahh, Bonita is a great place.

[quote name='halu102']
Hmm, another notable Mexican Food place I used to go to was Colima's, which had some darn good carne asada burritos. They also give large ass servings and when I tried to eat their supreme quesadilla, I almost exploded, it's basically a carne asada burrito in quesadilla form. Only one I know of is the one in Bonita. Ahh, Bonita is a great place.[/quote]

their portions are so big, it's almost disturbing. the burritos are like LOAVES.

Colima's is one of the better ones out there. There's one off Bonita Rd. and there's also one in National City off 4th Ave... in the same complex with Target. They offer huge servings. I like their burritos... not their fries though.. Nacho cheese... WTF?

[quote name='halu102']I believe that's the one I was referring to, which is actually the Genesee one. Yeah because I remember seeing it when I went to Gamecrazy in the area.

As for Pho, I don't really like the stuff. I'd rather have the vermicelli instead, I just can't handle the tripe and smell of Pho.

Hmm, another notable Mexican Food place I used to go to was Colima's, which had some darn good carne asada burritos. They also give large ass servings and when I tried to eat their supreme quesadilla, I almost exploded, it's basically a carne asada burrito in quesadilla form. Only one I know of is the one in Bonita. Ahh, Bonita is a great place.[/QUOTE]

There is a Cotixan on Clairemont, its just a couple stop lights east of Genesee on Clairemont. I've been there and they're stuff is pretty good, although I usually go to the one on Genesee.

Cotixan has some great cotixan fries for sure, but I don't think anyone has mentioned Santana's. Santana's has some great carne fries and a good california burrito. Lolita's is pretty good I guess but like someone else said there are too many fries and not enough other stuff in their california burrito, I haven't had their carne asada fries so I can't judge those.

Yeah!, Cotixan's for sure. We should make a mini tally for the most favored taco shop. I vote for Cotixan's all around. "Price, value, selection... nobody even comes close."

As for Colima's I totally agree with you Markman, their burritos are huge and good, but their fries are real lame with the nacho cheese. That is their downfall...

What? Coxintins? They always seem to fuck up my orders every now and then, but it's alright. I would have to say it's a tie between Lolitas and Colimas (Tacos El Gordo is high up there as well). Though I here Chipotle is pretty good, but I haven't tried it yet and I pass by it everyday on my way to school. There's one more that I haven't mentioned but I can't seem to remember it right now.

[quote name='Ma12kez']What? Coxintins? They always seem to fuck up my orders every now and then, but it's alright. I would have to say it's a tie between Lolitas and Colimas (Tacos El Gordo is high up there as well). Though I here Chipotle is pretty good, but I haven't tried it yet and I pass by it everyday on my way to school. There's one more that I haven't mentioned but I can't seem to remember it right now.[/quote] Tacos el Gordo in National City has excellent service and excellent quality food, but their portions aren't that big and it is a little more expensive than most places. I guess you pay more for more quality.

The guy that knows the shop remembers your face and name if you come by a lot.

Hahaha, I love how we all came out to disscuss Mexican Food.. truly an art form in San Diego... :)

I finished setting up my arcade area at my place... whatcha guys think?

278968145_d0322ed8d6.jpg

278968012_a465ac9ded.jpg

The games are Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, and Street Fighter II: World Warrior.

Still needs a lot of cleaning up, but the important part is that the machines are set up... now I gotta get rid of all the trash/junk in the area.

In the near future(crosses fingers), I'll be adding Super Street Fighter II Turbo and maybe a MAME cab.

[quote name='MarkMan']Hahaha, I love how we all came out to disscuss Mexican Food.. truly an art form in San Diego... :)

278968145_d0322ed8d6.jpg

278968012_a465ac9ded.jpg

The games are Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, and Street Fighter II: World Warrior.

Still needs a lot of cleaning up, but the important part is that the machines are set up... now I gotta get rid of all the trash/junk in the area.

In the near future(crosses fingers), I'll be adding Super Street Fighter II Turbo and maybe a MAME cab.[/quote] That shit looks bad. How much were the machines?

I'm a CvS2 player. I used to kick ass all the time back in the day with the old school Street Fighters and Mortal Kombats 1-ultimate, but I stopped and didn't start playing a fighting game (CvS2) just two years ago when I met my girl's little brother. We're evenly skilled in CvS2, but he is crazy in Tekken.

[quote name='Ma12kez']What? Coxintins? They always seem to fuck up my orders every now and then, but it's alright. I would have to say it's a tie between Lolitas and Colimas (Tacos El Gordo is high up there as well). Though I here Chipotle is pretty good, but I haven't tried it yet and I pass by it everyday on my way to school. There's one more that I haven't mentioned but I can't seem to remember it right now.[/QUOTE]
Man, that was only one time. Haha, Cocksingtons.

There's a bunch of Chipotle's up here in UTC/La Jolla area. My friends were totally into it, but they were from out of town. Its ok the first few times, but you'll always go back to authentic Mexican food. Basically at chipotle, you pick what you want in the burrito, and they wrap it right in front of you, though, they don't cook it over the stove, just wrap it. Basically like cafeteria style. I just don't like going there too much because it's like 5 or 6 dollars for one burrito when I could get a bigger authentic burrito somewhere else for a little over half that price.

nice setup btw Markman. Man, now I want to look for a Guilty Gear machine...

[quote name='MarkMan']HI finished setting up my arcade area at my place... whatcha guys think?[/quote]

nice setup. you a Tekken fan or something?

ha. and then ha again.

[quote name='MarkMan']Hahaha, I love how we all came out to disscuss Mexican Food.. truly an art form in San Diego... :)

[/QUOTE]

gonna move back to la at the end of the year, most definitely gonna miss the fine mexican food i've had over the past couple of years.

markman - your setup is pimp, i especially love the water heater. =)

i've been to mexican places all over sd and honestly, it just gets worse and worse the further north you go.

colimas in national city/chula vista is better than the hillcrest one.

other notable mexican places in chula vista... don pedros on 3rd ave, robertos on h st. right by gamestop, alazanes by southwestern college, and if you live in chula vista and deny the greatness of lolitas (priced higher than most places) than you're not from chula vista.

oh yeah! almost forgot about this place. robertos (different from the cv one) off of highland in national city will DEEP FRY YOUR CALI BURRITO. so if any of you are in the mood for a great tasting heart attack, go there. and don't be scared to roll through their at night. it's really not bad.

[quote name='MarkMan']Ahhh yes, Don Pedro's "Autentic" Mexican food... it's a good spot... I like dining in there. The fries are good there too. :)[/quote]

hey, Jimmy's is right near there. they may not have the best food, but i'm a FIEND for their bread pudding. i know, i know, bread pudding, whatever... but their's is THE BEST.

[quote name='bboynujen']like many others here, i've had my fair share of carne asada fries. IMO, the best is still Albertacos by state across from Ralphs. Now I haven't been back there in years, but for the time I lived in that area, their carne asada fries & breakfast burritos = best i've had.

and no, good carne asada fries has not made me forget the loss yesterday.[/quote]
just got some fries there. good stuff.

[quote name='allyourblood']xrickyb86x... when you gonna toss those ended/dead Ebay links outta yer sig? those've been drivin' me crazy for a while now...[/quote]

done! thanks for the reminder. i never really noticed because i rarely pay attention to it.

Jalepenos off Carmel Mountain Rd is the best up north county. Hands down, beats out Colimas, Robertos, whatever. Even the mexicans up there love that place. Check it out! Next to the Rite Aid/Dairy Queen.

[quote name='TritonDrew']Jalepenos off Carmel Mountain Rd is the best up north county. Hands down, beats out Colimas, Robertos, whatever. Even the mexicans up there love that place. Check it out! Next to the Rite Aid/Dairy Queen.[/quote] I normally go to Sombrero across the street when I'm near home. I've only ate at Jalapenos a few times and wasn't too impressed with their carne asada fries, but I liked the nacho cheese somewhat. I didn't try their california burrito. I didn't like their prices too much. There are a few other locations since it's it's a chain of restaurants.

I used to go to Alvaros more down the road in Sabre Springs (used to be an Albertos), but their portions got way too small and their prices got too high. I laugh at people when I hear them say "lets go eat at alvaros".

Sombrero doesn't taste the best (if you ask me), but they have one thing that beats out a lot of other places: consistency. in my experience, if you order something once, it's gonna be the same way every time. which is good or bad, depending on your outlook. they also tend to use very fresh ingredients -- i've never had anything "stale" from them.

hey if you guys were looking for TRU b2g1 sales, and got shut out at TRU (like me), the Circuit city in claremont honored the deal with a pricematch! It's the one on claremont mesa off of genesee.

And speaking of mexican food, don't go to "super sergios" in el cajon. Can you say food poisoning?

[quote name='allyourblood']Sombrero doesn't taste the best (if you ask me), but they have one thing that beats out a lot of other places: consistency. in my experience, if you order something once, it's gonna be the same way every time. which is good or bad, depending on your outlook. they also tend to use very fresh ingredients -- i've never had anything "stale" from them.[/quote] Yeah, I've been to a lot of taco shops, but Sombrero is just the is the best value/quality of the taco shops near my house. Which is still a 10 minute drive, pretty far just to get some mexican food. I'd rate it a 4/5 in quantity and 4/5 in quality. There are two that are less than 5 minutes away from my house (cotixas and robertos), but I don't like them that much.

There is an albertos another 5 minutes down that has golden and crisp fries, but I'd rather drive somewhere closer to my house.

Two real good places on Miramar Road are Roberto's (I already mentioned it) and palominos--they make massive burritos that are like 8-10 inches tall and like 4 inches wide. I usually only go to Robertos late way after 12 midnight, palominos just whenever.

I don't think any of you guys live up north, so you probably can't really compare the shops up here. But I go down south a lot and the only places I haven't tried that you guys mentioned is lolitas. I'll try it soon.. I'm trying to shave off five pounds. I gained too much weight over the summer.. 5 pounds after I came back from vegas and another 8-10 from eating too much mexican food on the weekends. :lol:

[quote name='chaarlieee']
By the way, where did you get that? That is a SMALL ass portion if that's how it came when it was first ordered. Sometimes I'm used to getting 2x that much.[/quote]

Roberto's on Broadway in Chula. and that's exactly what i said! my order ended up being about 1/2 the size of my pal's order! i was annoyed. they're usually pretty good about that sort of thing, but i guess they gave me the end of the batch of fries, and didn't want to make more?? either way, they were great. the fries were perfectly crispy, and it went down smooth. a couple years back, they used to put sour cream on there gratis, but they haven't done that in some time. the price has also gone up a dollar recently. oh well.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Looks like cocksingtins (cotixan) to me.[/QUOTE]
That looked like a usual carne asada fries except it's missing sour cream. The cotixas next to me and the one in mira mesa (called patron but it's a cotixas restaurant) uses the bigger fries, beans and pico and it's a lot bigger than that, but I don't like their fries because they don't have the golden and crisp look and taste.

I always ask for carne asada fries with sour cream and guacamole, no pico.

[quote name='chaarlieee']That looked like a usual carne asada fries except it's missing sour cream.[/quote]The portion was too small to be considered "usual" to me. And cotixan seems to have the smallest portions of carne asada fries at times, even when compared to lolitas.

[quote name='Ma12kez']The portion was too small to be considered "usual" to me. And cotixan seems to have the smallest portions of carne asada fries at times, even when compared to lolitas.[/QUOTE]
Really? I thought they were the same, you must've gotten jipped more than once then. They must hate you over there.

[quote name='Ma12kez']The portion was too small to be considered "usual" to me. And cotixan seems to have the smallest portions of carne asada fries at times, even when compared to lolitas.[/quote] I meant it looked like a usual carne asada fries. The portion was tiny like I said earlier.

I don't get cotixas fries, but everytime I have they have been like 3x that size, not joking. I don't like their fries that much though.

By the way, who's your new avatar? :lol:

[quote name='chaarlieee']I meant it looked like a usual carne asada fries. The portion was tiny like I said earlier.

I don't get cotixas fries, but everytime I have they have been like 3x that size, not joking. I don't like their fries that much though.

By the way, who's your new avatar? :lol:[/QUOTE]
Hmm, I thought Cotixan fries were just as good as Lolitas. But then again, I haven't had Lolitas CA Fries in a while. But what I do remember about them is that it's priced slightly higher and they usually have more fries. Because by the time I finish their CA Fries, I start getting thristy because there isn't enough of the other stuff. I also like the salsa at Cotixans a little better, I could just drink the stuff.

And yeah, MA 12, who's in your avatar, so with you chaarlieee. :D haha

[quote name='allyourblood']Roberto's on Broadway in Chula. and that's exactly what i said! my order ended up being about 1/2 the size of my pal's order! i was annoyed. they're usually pretty good about that sort of thing, but i guess they gave me the end of the batch of fries, and didn't want to make more?? either way, they were great. the fries were perfectly crispy, and it went down smooth. a couple years back, they used to put sour cream on there gratis, but they haven't done that in some time. the price has also gone up a dollar recently. oh well.[/quote]

dude you wanna know what's fucking funny... i saw the pic of your fries, showed my brother, and said "this dude got those from robertos... he had to of." and... just by the picture... i was right.

[quote name='halu102']Really? I thought they were the same, you must've gotten jipped more than once then. They must hate you over there.[/quote]Yeah maybe it's because I knew one of their workers and my friend and I would always go there and get free horchatas.:drool: I never really liked cotixan but it's the closest one to me. Still can't top Colimas and Lolitas though.

I'll say it time and time again... Lolita's CA Fries.

A fuckin legacy of sexual peak on your taste buds.

Sup San Diego... what's goin down this weekend. :)

[quote name='chaarlieee']Did you like it? I know they don't have this food in the bay (I don't know about Salinas), at least from what people told me. They have a "San Francisco burrito", haven't tried it, nor has anybody I know that lived in the bay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_burrito

Cali burrito is in wikipedia too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrito[/quote]
I like it. Going to take my roommate tomorrow to go try them. I don't know if they have it in salinas but I've never looked for it. The thread you made in the off topic forum was the first time I've heard of them.

bread's done
Back