Official San Diego Area CAG List

[quote name='paz9x']alright sd cags, i need some help.
im looking for a place to have sunday brunch on the 13th.
Humphrey's at $32 is my $ limit.
im leaning towards karl strauss, its $10 less, which leaves more money to buy the good beer. and ive had good luck with food at brewerys.
anyhow, does anybody have any experience at sd brunch spots?
any places theyd endorse?[/QUOTE]

Jake's Del Mar is pretty good for brunch. http://www.jakesdelmar.com/

I thinks thats probably the only place I've really been for brunch, but the food was great.

Ok, wtf is up with Best Buy selling things $2-$3 more than MSRP? I was there today because I was finally going to buy myself a Play & Charge kit for Xbox 360 and instead of it being $19.99, they have it priced at $22.99. Yes, it's $22.99, no joke. I also saw a couple of things having weird prices as well, such as $25.99 ($24.99 MSRP maybe) and $32.99. What's the deal?

[quote name='Panda']Just a small heads up.

For those are looking for Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for the PS2, Mira Mesa EB Games got a copy on the floor as of last night. The disk is clean. :)[/QUOTE]

That is such a great game. I have it on the Dreamcast but haven't played it in years. That would make a great Xbox Live arcade game...

[quote name='paz9x']alright sd cags, i need some help.
im looking for a place to have sunday brunch on the 13th.
Humphrey's at $32 is my $ limit.
im leaning towards karl strauss, its $10 less, which leaves more money to buy the good beer. and ive had good luck with food at brewerys.
anyhow, does anybody have any experience at sd brunch spots?
any places theyd endorse?[/QUOTE]

The only place I've had brunch at was the Torrey Pines Hilton. It was a while ago, but I remember that it was good and the dining area was pretty sweet. (Nice view). Alternatively, you could try the Hometown Buffet in Santee...

[quote name='bthamilton']The only place I've had brunch at was the Torrey Pines Hilton. It was a while ago, but I remember that it was good and the dining area was pretty sweet. (Nice view). Alternatively, you could try the Hometown Buffet in Santee...[/QUOTE]
hometown, i remember liking it durign my highchool-college years. i went back a year or so ago with my brother, we didnt finish a plate. i cant believe how big a change, or atleast my tastes have changed.

[quote name='paz9x']hometown, i remember liking it durign my highchool-college years. i went back a year or so ago with my brother, we didnt finish a plate. i cant believe how big a change, or atleast my tastes have changed.[/quote]

Have you guys ever eaten at the Panda Garden Buffet in Santee? It's sort of next to Wal-Mart and across from Costco. It's pretty solid for an Asian food buffet. It's got an o.k. salad bar and some sushi too.

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone could keep an eye out for :ps2: Raiden III whenever you need to make a quick stop to Wal-Mart. It's supposedly marked as $20, but the one I visited (off of Highland) didn't even carry the game. Let me know, thanks.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Samsung Blackjack or Cingular 8125? I've been off contract for about 2 years now, and I'm in the market for a new phone. Actually, I just want to use my school discount with Cingular before I graduate. People at howardforums have had no major qualms, quality wise. But I want to get an SD take on it, since I'll be using it here.

[quote name='orimental']Does anyone here have any experience with the Samsung Blackjack or Cingular 8125? I've been off contract for about 2 years now, and I'm in the market for a new phone. Actually, I just want to use my school discount with Cingular before I graduate. People at howardforums have had no major qualms, quality wise. But I want to get an SD take on it, since I'll be using it here.[/QUOTE]
I'll let you know if you buy me one ;)

I'm selling Rainbow Six Vegas for the 360 and a Goodfellas HD-DVD if anybody is interested. Let me know if you are.. I'm going to Vegas in three weeks and I need some extra cash since I spent too much during the past week.

[quote name='PMSingChicken']I live in Santee and haven't been to that Panda Garden buffet place. How much is it? To lazy to check.[/quote]

It's $9.99 for dinner and cheaper for lunch..probably a buck or two less. Generally, I'm not much of a buffet fan, but you should check it out.

Hmm, am I the only one who still doesn't own a next-gen system? I'm still just skeptical about all the systems right now, and there aren't really any games that seem to fit what I'm into. I just haven't seen any system selling games, though from what people say about halo 3, it could change. However, I only had fun playing Halo with friends and yelling at each other threatening to buck futt them after owning em at deathmatch. But as far as I can see, Halo 3 seems like a better looking version of Halo 2 with a few "gimmicks". The online scene wouldn't be for me either, that "I slept with your mom and your ancestors from 1000 years ago" talk just gives me headaches.

[quote name='halu102']Hmm, am I the only one who still doesn't own a next-gen system? I'm still just skeptical about all the systems right now, and there aren't really any games that seem to fit what I'm into. I just haven't seen any system selling games, though from what people say about halo 3, it could change. However, I only had fun playing Halo with friends and yelling at each other threatening to buck futt them after owning em at deathmatch. But as far as I can see, Halo 3 seems like a better looking version of Halo 2 with a few "gimmicks". The online scene wouldn't be for me either, that "I slept with your mom and your ancestors from 1000 years ago" talk just gives me headaches.[/QUOTE]
if the beta is as good an idication as i think it is, halo 3 is substantially better than 2. the " gimmicks" are improvments, and good ones.

[quote name='paz9x']if the beta is as good an idication as i think it is, halo 3 is substantially better than 2. the " gimmicks" are improvments, and good ones.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, so far the beta has been pretty fun. The graphics are a nice upgrade and there are some cool, new features. I'm glad the assault rifle is back and the shotgun seems a little more powerful than usual. The new spike grenades are pretty cool...although I wish they had more throwing distance.

Anyone go to the Mudd Club arcade in north county near Nickel City? I'm reading about it right now. Looks pretty cool. I'm thinking about checking it out next weekend.

Since MarkMan mentioned evo being downtown, I decided to play some CvS2. Got my ass beat by someone at Nickel City on Friday, but I suck badly on arcade stick and only do 50%-75% of what I can do on a controller. I just don't have the quickness and familiarity on an arcade stick the way I do with a controller.

Edit: I read that it isn't popular because prices are too high. Oh well. But I'll be going to Nickel City at least once a month now when I have nothing to do on weekends.

[quote name='chaarlieee']Anyone go to the Mudd Club arcade in north county near Nickel City? I'm reading about it right now. Looks pretty cool. I'm thinking about checking it out next weekend.

Since MarkMan mentioned evo being downtown, I decided to play some CvS2. Got my ass beat by someone at Nickel City on Friday, but I suck badly on arcade stick and only do 50%-75% of what I can do on a controller. I just don't have the quickness and familiarity on an arcade stick the way I do with a controller.

Edit: I read that it isn't popular because prices are too high. Oh well. But I'll be going to Nickel City at least once a month now when I have nothing to do on weekends.[/QUOTE]
Haven't been to an arcade in a while. Is Initial D still big? My friend was so addicted to that game, it just wasn't funny. Had a racing gang and everything...

i got together with some buddies for our 4-times-a-year (or so) Halo gathering. we played the Beta for about an hour, and then went back to Halo 2 for the next 6 hours.

it was fun, but didn't look very next-gen and the limited customization sent us back to the oldy. i'm sure we'll upgrade when the full version is available, but the Beta just didn't give me (or us) enough incentive to play it for very long.

it ran silky-smooth, though.

[quote name='allyourblood']i got together with some buddies for our 4-times-a-year (or so) Halo gathering. we played the Beta for about an hour, and then went back to Halo 2 for the next 6 hours.

it was fun, but didn't look very next-gen and the limited customization sent us back to the oldy. i'm sure we'll upgrade when the full version is available, but the Beta just didn't give me (or us) enough incentive to play it for very long.

it ran silky-smooth, though.[/QUOTE]
Silky smooth, just not so next-gen graphics wise, but it's still fun as shit

Hey guys, I need opinions. Is it a prime time to get a wii this memorial day weekend?

And is the $40 off $200 coupon still in effect? and does it still apply to the Wii?

As for my interest in the system. Right now I'm not interested in any of the current Wii games. The only two games I would most likely be interested in is Smash Bros. and maybe Pokemon Battle Revo.

Should I get the wii this weekend? or is there nothing to worry about?

EDIT: Bleh, nvm, the coupon does not apply to consoles.

Just got a letter in the mail today from GameCrazy.

Looks like the store on East H St. is closing in the near future. If you guys have any credit at that store make sure to do something with it since the credit doesn't carry over to other stores. Sad to see the store go, but as someone who used to work there, it was really only a matter of time before that store closed down.

I'll probably go down there today or tomorrow to see if there is anything worth picking up with my credit. I'll also update with an exact last day of business if possible, unless someone finds out before me.

Wow sad to hear that. There wont be any clearanced items right?

And that place was the most convenient closest place for my video game needs... sigh...

Yeah, I've noticed quite a few GameCrazy closings recently. The one on Mira Mesa Blvd closed about a year ago. There's one by SDSU that just closed in the last couple of months. Apparently the one in Escondido is closing as well. There are still a bunch of them around (I have 3 of them here in El Cajon, all within 5 mins of my house), but it seems like they are slowly going the way of the dodo bird.

[quote name='Warner1281']Yeah, I've noticed quite a few GameCrazy closings recently. The one on Mira Mesa Blvd closed about a year ago. There's one by SDSU that just closed in the last couple of months. Apparently the one in Escondido is closing as well. There are still a bunch of them around (I have 3 of them here in El Cajon, all within 5 mins of my house), but it seems like they are slowly going the way of the dodo bird.[/QUOTE]
it would help if they were marginally organized. especially the one in national city, yard sales are organized better.
sucks , cause their pricing is better than eb/gs

[quote name='Warner1281']Yeah, I've noticed quite a few GameCrazy closings recently. The one on Mira Mesa Blvd closed about a year ago. There's one by SDSU that just closed in the last couple of months. Apparently the one in Escondido is closing as well. There are still a bunch of them around (I have 3 of them here in El Cajon, all within 5 mins of my house), but it seems like they are slowly going the way of the dodo bird.[/quote]

Which one? The one on University Blvd?

I've noticed the one on Sports Arena is also gone.

EDIT: Anyone know if any Gamestops/EBGames are hiring around San Diego? I need a new job for the summer, I'm thinking about quitting Sea World.

Hey guys,

My little bro is going to SDSU and is moving out of the dorms for the next year. He needs to get a good mattress for cheap. Any suggestions? I figured I'd send him up to Miramar Road for a good deal. Anyone know of anywhere better than that or a specific store? He needs delivery to his Mission Valley apartment.

On a videogame note, Odin Sphere is fantastic. Anyone looking for a sweet side-scrolling action RPG should go for it....and it runs fine on the PS3!

[quote name='bthamilton']Hey guys,

My little bro is going to SDSU and is moving out of the dorms for the next year. He needs to get a good mattress for cheap. Any suggestions? I figured I'd send him up to Miramar Road for a good deal. Anyone know of anywhere better than that or a specific store? He needs delivery to his Mission Valley apartment.

On a videogame note, Odin Sphere is fantastic. Anyone looking for a sweet side-scrolling action RPG should go for it....and it runs fine on the PS3![/QUOTE]
try craigslist for a mattress. thats where i got one.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']I've noticed the one on Sports Arena is also gone.

EDIT: Anyone know if any Gamestops/EBGames are hiring around San Diego? I need a new job for the summer, I'm thinking about quitting Sea World.[/quote]

Really? Wouldn't you be taking a pay cut if you quit SeaWorld? Besides, I hear terrible things about working at games stores.

[quote name='DQT']Really? Wouldn't you be taking a pay cut if you quit SeaWorld? Besides, I hear terrible things about working at games stores.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but I won't mind because if you compare the things you do at Sea World to the things you do in retail the difference is so much. It's like getting paid $9.00 to do a lot or get paid $7.50 or however much to do a lot less (like standing around until someone shows up and such). I rather take the $7.50 and do less lol.

I know that it's been around since the beginning of March and what not, but I just went to Yogurt World in Kearny Mesa for the first time. I have to say that it was pretty awesome. I love the Asian Peach and Tart Mango. Here's a tip for everyone: Fill to the brim with frozen yogurt and then add the toppings. What was once $0.38/oz. seemed more like $3.00/oz.

[quote name='orimental']I know that it's been around since the beginning of March and what not, but I just went to Yogurt World in Kearny Mesa for the first time. I have to say that it was pretty awesome. I love the Asian Peach and Tart Mango. Here's a tip for everyone: Fill to the brim with frozen yogurt and then add the toppings. What was once $0.38/oz. seemed more like $3.00/oz.[/QUOTE]
Is that the one next to Tapioca Express? If so, I heard it was expensive. Just how expensive is it?

Yeah, that's where it is.

It's $0.38/oz. This includes all flavors and toppings. You just pickup a styrofoam cup and fill it up to your heart's content with any combination of flavors. They're all self-serve machines.

You can also ask for sample cups to try any of the flavors. The toppings are all by the registers. They have everything from candy and cereal to fresh fruit and jellies. The flavors change every so often, as do the toppings I think. Then it's all weighed when you pay.

[quote name='orimental']Yeah, that's where it is.

It's $0.38/oz. This includes all flavors and toppings. You just pickup a styrofoam cup and fill it up to your heart's content with any combination of flavors. They're all self-serve machines.

You can also ask for sample cups to try any of the flavors. The toppings are all by the registers. They have everything from candy and cereal to fresh fruit and jellies. The flavors change every so often, as do the toppings I think. Then it's all weighed when you pay.[/QUOTE]
How much is usually a whole cup?

Also, how long do places usually call you for an interview after you turn in an application? Is it good to do a follow up on an application? At SeaWorld they scheduled me for an interview right when I turned it in.

On average, about $5 on the smaller cup.

As for the application process, it could be a few days or even a couple of weeks. It just depends on how many people applied, how many they need, and how soon they need them.

[quote name='orimental']On average, about $5 on the smaller cup.

As for the application process, it could be a few days or even a couple of weeks. It just depends on how many people applied, how many they need, and how soon they need them.[/QUOTE]
I just called a place I applied at to do a follow up on my application and the person that answered the phone took note of my name, availability, and phone number. She said she was gonna let - I assume the manager - know that I called. Coolio :)

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Yeah but I won't mind because if you compare the things you do at Sea World to the things you do in retail the difference is so much. It's like getting paid $9.00 to do a lot or get paid $7.50 or however much to do a lot less (like standing around until someone shows up and such). I rather take the $7.50 and do less lol.[/quote]

Sorry man, but all I hear about those stores is how much you have to worry about preorder quotas and memberships and all that just to keep your job. You don't have to sell crap people don't want to keep your job at SeaWorld.

Although to be fair, the GSs and GCs I shop at seem pretty chill about that, so I don't know.

Has anyone been taking advantage of gamecrazy's additional 50% on trade-in's deal? Which ones running this promo?

Also, does gamecrazy allow you to use store credit from any gamecrazy?

Thanks.

[quote name='chaarlieee']Has anyone been taking advantage of gamecrazy's additional 50% on trade-in's deal? Which ones running this promo?

Also, does gamecrazy allow you to use store credit from any gamecrazy?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I did this at the GameCrazy off of Genesee. From what I've done, 2 or more games = 50% more. So say you have 3, 4, 5 or whatever. All of them get 50% more.

im gonna try and pick up some of the 16.96 games at cc tomorrow when i pick up the darkness and flipem. two games should give me about $90 in credit.

edit - riceboi, always follow up on an application, multiple times. though it may seem like youre being a pest, its beneficial. good luck.

[quote name='paz9x']im gonna try and pick up some of the 16.96 games at cc tomorrow when i pick up the darkness and flipem. two games should give me about $90 in credit.

edit - riceboi, always follow up on an application, multiple times. though it may seem like youre being a pest, its beneficial. good luck.[/QUOTE]
I doubt 2 games will give you $90 in credit, unless they are like new releases. I traded in Crackdown, THP8, and GR2 and got a total of $90 and some. So unless you trade in games worth $30 and giving them an extra $15 I highly doubt it. If I were you I'd check the trade value over the phone first.

And I've been following up on them a lot lately. Now it's waiting time lol.

i love how the cool place to be is always somewhere in that stripmall. first it was green tea house, then tapioca, and now yogurt world. the line is going out the door every time i drive by!

psh its all about tea'n'more.

oh and has anyone else hit up toys r us for the b2g1f? i picked up tetris, planet puzzle league, and clubhouse games at the la mesa location.

im looking for phoenix wright or hotel dusk...anyone been to the national city or chula vista locations recently?

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Is Imperial Beach a nice or bad part of San Diego?[/quote]

i used to live in IB. it's okay. some people think it's kinda scuzzy, and i suppose it might have been in the past, but the city seems to be making an effort lately to clean it up and make it a little classy. i prefer it to a lot of the other "beach towns", as most of the big ones are actually downright disgusting when a lot of people gather. IB tends to be quite low-key and most people there are friendly. relatively low-crime compared to most of SD county.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Is Imperial Beach a nice or bad part of San Diego?[/quote] I used to live right on the otherside of IB on Palm Ave.

I can't comment on IB, but Palm ave and pretty much any area down south or southeast has a bad rep.

If you want to live in a beach area, definitely try PB.

bread's done
Back