Official Skylanders Thread

Roughly 10% of the figures (2 figures and 2 vehicles for Nintendo, 20 figures/vehicles for everyone else) that they're implementing are platform exclusive, and also require the purchase of both starters even if you don't own both Nintendo platforms?  And I thought Disney Infinity was being irritating for making the Star Wars original trilogy playset a timed exclusive to try and force people to buy a completely undiscounted bundle. 

Edit: Addendum, as an added bonus, Gamestop's preorder page and the official press release says both bundles come with Stealth Elf.  If accurate, you'll be stuck with two of them in order to get the two Nintendo exclusives.  On the plus side, those of us who get the digital download will be able to find "used" Stealth Elf for cheap. 

Last edited by a moderator:
GameStop
Skylanders SWAP Force Starter Pack $9.97
Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack $11.97
Only Available Using Free Store Pickup...YMMV
Credit: SlickDeals

Skylanders SWAP Force Starter Pack (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U) $9.97

Xbox One [gamestop.com]

PS4 [gamestop.com]

Wii U [gamestop.com]

Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack (PS3, 360, Wii, 3DS) $11.97

PS3 [gamestop.com]

360 [gamestop.com]

Wii [gamestop.com]

3DS [gamestop.com]
I didn't see this until just now, but thanks a ton!

I am not a fan of console specific Skylanders. Though I will probably fall for this and pick up the Wii U version as a result

I think that Mario should have been the Nintendo Skylander, or Kirby, or Yoshi. Bowser and Donkey Kong are villains in the majority of the games that they are in. Eon doesn't make villains into Skylanders. That's official canon. Activision is screwing up the series now. Just to compete with Lego Dimensions and Disney Infinity. Bowser would never help Eon save Skylands. But, he would try to rule it.

GameStop will be having a skylanders event on 6/27/15.

• Buy 1 Get 1 free on all trapmaster characters.
  • Buy 1 Get 1 free on all core characters.
  • Buy 1 Get 1 free on all Eon's Elite characters.
  • Get a water trap for free when you buy any trap.
  • 50% off select skylander accessories.
  • All trap team starter packs $29.99 + free skylanders giants 3-pack + free punch pop fizz character.
  • Pre-order skylanders superchargers and get a free tech trap with steampunk shrednaught captured inside + free superchargers poster.

Few notes:
They're also going to have the GS exclusive King Cobra Cadabra and the free trap-when-you-preorder for sale that day as well.

If you can get them to take the $10 off Trap Team coupon, that's a great deal.

The bonus figures are company promo-bagged versions of the three Giants starter figures and Punch Pop Fizz. Oddly, the instructions with them have the SWAP Force logo on them as well - which means they're not just figures stripped from starter packs.

There's been some confusion so I just want to warn people. The Donkey Kong and Bowser Amiibo/Skylanders hybrid figures will ONLY work on the Nintendo versions of Skylanders Superchargers. You will not be able to play them on PlayStation, Xbox, or tablet versions of the game. So don't buy the set just for the figure.

In my opinion, this is a horrible decision by Activision. It's breaking the whole concept of bring your figure whatever system your friend's have.

Few notes:
They're also going to have the GS exclusive King Cobra Cadabra and the free trap-when-you-preorder for sale that day as well.

If you can get them to take the $10 off Trap Team coupon, that's a great deal.

The bonus figures are company promo-bagged versions of the three Giants starter figures and Punch Pop Fizz. Oddly, the instructions with them have the SWAP Force logo on them as well - which means they're not just figures stripped from starter packs.
Where do you get the $10 off coupon?

They also had $10 off coupons at McDonalds when Skylanders were the Happy Meal toys a couple of weeks ago. They were in the bags with the toys. 

There's been some confusion so I just want to warn people. The Donkey Kong and Bowser Amiibo/Skylanders hybrid figures will ONLY work on the Nintendo versions of Skylanders Superchargers. You will not be able to play them on PlayStation, Xbox, or tablet versions of the game. So don't buy the set just for the figure.

In my opinion, this is a horrible decision by Activision. It's breaking the whole concept of bring your figure whatever system your friend's have.
It's probably Nintendo's decision, not Activision's. Either way, I agree with you it's not a good decision. I would have bought those Amiibos if they had cross-platform compatibility, now I won't, since I'm getting the game on PS4. So Nintendo lost at least one sale of them, I bet it's not the only one.

It's probably Nintendo's decision, not Activision's. Either way, I agree with you it's not a good decision. I would have bought those Amiibos if they had cross-platform compatibility, now I won't, since I'm getting the game on PS4. So Nintendo lost at least one sale of them, I bet it's not the only one.
So Nintendo not allowing Bowser to be on a Sony system is a poor decision? LMAO.

These are the first Amiibos that actually do something worthwhile in a game. Instead of just unlocking a costume, or a game mode that shouldn't have been locked away in the first place.

There's been some confusion so I just want to warn people. The Donkey Kong and Bowser Amiibo/Skylanders hybrid figures will ONLY work on the Nintendo versions of Skylanders Superchargers. You will not be able to play them on PlayStation, Xbox, or tablet versions of the game. So don't buy the set just for the figure.

It's good to give a head's up to people about this.

I really think Activision/Nintendo dropped the ball here. I think the most straightforward approach here would have been for the Bowser & Donkey Kong Amiibos to unlock their respective characters in Skylanders on 3DS/Wii U, than to make these hybrid figures. Amiibo buyers would already be accustomed to their figures working in multiple games, and it adds values to these figures. Likewise, if the hybrid figures didn't exist, there wouldn't be confusion with them not working on other platforms.

Its not the end of the world. So you can't dk and bowser on ps3 or xbox or anything non nintendo. I'm pretty sure you guys will live a good life anyway.

I feel a bit worse for WiiU owners who will have to buy two starter packs for systems they don't own just to get all the figures that work on their platform (Bowser on the 3DS/Wii and some PS/Xbox version for Spitfire/Hot Streak).  And they'll own three Stealth Elves when they're done. 

I feel a bit worse for WiiU owners who will have to buy two starter packs for systems they don't own just to get all the figures that work on their platform (Bowser on the 3DS/Wii and some PS/Xbox version for Spitfire/Hot Streak). And they'll own three Stealth Elves when they're done.
I imagine we won't have any issues picking up Hot Steak and Spitfire down the road. I got last year's tablet pack for $15 in-store by pricematching Amazon. Considering the vehicle is $15 alone, I feel like I'll do okay.

Also, I can't imagine there are too many Wii U owners who don't have a 3DS - but they can always get the Wii title, which is being marketed as a different game and will play on their Wii U.

You could always just buy the single figures later on... it's not like they'll be hard to get or anything.
Donkey Kong and Bowser are exclusive to the starter packs Nintendo has said. They won't be sold as single figures. Basically. That's to keep parents from buying them for their children that own Xboxes and PlayStation, and ending up with a figure that doesn't work.

Donkey Kong and Bowser are exclusive to the starter packs Nintendo has said. They won't be sold as single figures. Basically. That's to keep parents from buying them for their children that own Xboxes and PlayStation, and ending up with a figure that doesn't work.
I mean on eBay/Gamestop or something. They're clearly not going to become rare, the starter pack Skylanders always end up super cheap, these will be no different.

I dunno about "always" and "super cheap". Dark Spyro from Spyro's Adventure 3DS, Royal Double Trouble from Battlegrounds would be examples of figures that don't follow that rule.

These are the first Amiibos that actually do something worthwhile in a game. Instead of just unlocking a costume, or a game mode that shouldn't have been locked away in the first place.
Of course, you assume those modes would be 'normal' without Amiibo's unlocking them. What if Nintendo spent extra money making those modes JUST FOR AMIIBOS?

I didn't see anything about this in the last couple of pages of the thread.

Even before Gamestop's Skylander Day Event this Saturday, right now all pre-owned Skylanders are 50% if you buy 3 or more.  This works both online (if they have the stock) or in-store.  

I was able to complete my daughter's wishlist for Skylander's Swap Force (we stay a couple of years behind to make it affordable) before her birthday this weekend.  Roller Brawl + Stink Bomb + Freeze Blade < $15.  Of course, stock is YMMV.

How does the Wii U version fare compared to Xbone or PS4?  I went from SA and Giants on Ps3 to SW/TT on Xbone and the difference was pretty huge.

I don't think there is any reason not to go to Wii U outside of achievements/sales.  I wouldn't mind getting the SkyBos.  It's not like there is DLC or online play to consider.  It's basically on graphics/frame rate.

How does the Wii U version fare compared to Xbone or PS4? I went from SA and Giants on Ps3 to SW/TT on Xbone and the difference was pretty huge.
I'm not sure about Trap Team, but the Wii U version of Swap Force looked significantly worse than the PS4 version. The Wii U version looked more like the PS3/360 versions than the PS4/XBO ones.

went today and got Stink Bomb, Legendary Night Shift & Ignitor for $15. wish they wouldve had Freeze Blade or Magna Charge (the speed Ability) I need one of them to have all the figures needed to unlock all the doors and the challenges

Does anybody know if you have to be a member of the Skylander's adventure club, or preorder SuperChargers, or both to get the offers during the one day sale on Saturday?

I dont think you do but its pretty dumb not to join the sky club. Its free, and you get a $10 off coupon for every skyshit you buy. With the b1g1 that day, It should only take 3 transactions to earn a coupon.

Hello everyone,

Total noob here as I've never played a Skylanders game before, but with Swap Force on clearance at Best Buy, plus having GCU and a $5 off coupon, I was considering finally getting into it.

Now, I know the Swap Force starter pack is a pretty good deal overall, but with Gamestop's Skylander's Day tomorrow, I was wondering how good of a deal Trap Team for $30 is. I see you get a free Skylanders Giants 3 Pack and a Pop Fizz figure with it as well, so I assume that it's a pretty good deal, right?

I'd really like to know as my primary Toys-To-Life game is Disney Infinity, so I would prefer only getting these figures and games for very cheap prices.

Also, is there anything else I would need to get or would help me tremendously with the Swap Force and Trap Team starter packs? Like extra figures, levels, etc.

Thank you in advance! :D

Hello everyone,

Total noob here as I've never played a Skylanders game before, but with Swap Force on clearance at Best Buy, plus having GCU and a $5 off coupon, I was considering finally getting into it.

Now, I know the Swap Force starter pack is a pretty good deal overall, but with Gamestop's Skylander's Day tomorrow, I was wondering how good of a deal Trap Team for $30 is. I see you get a free Skylanders Giants 3 Pack and a Pop Fizz figure with it as well, so I assume that it's a pretty good deal, right?

I'd really like to know as my primary Toys-To-Life game is Disney Infinity, so I would prefer only getting these figures and games for very cheap prices.

Also, is there anything else I would need to get or would help me tremendously with the Swap Force and Trap Team starter packs? Like extra figures, levels, etc.

Thank you in advance! :D
$30 is a good deal for Trap Team, especially with the bonuses (which all work great). You will probably want some more Trap Masters, if just starting out get ones for different elements - you need one Trap Master of each element (10 elements) to get to everything (but really those are just small bonus areas if you aren't a completionist, but some of the best puzzles are in these). The expansions, well only the Light and Dark ones are really worth it but you may have a tougher time finding them.

For Swap Force, there are two factors blocking access to bonus areas, element and movement type (the little symbol on the base of a Swap Force figure). There are 8 elements and 8 movement types.

Every figure works in the game it was released for and after. So, if you buy a Trap Team figure it won't work in Swap Force. Also, they have minis in two packs that are fully functional figures in Trap Team, but more of a sidekick/pet in the previous games (only half of them are recognized in earlier games). If you really like the game you can also get Giants on clearance from Best Buy, but keep in mind the PS4/XB1 does not have a version of Giants if that is your chosen platform - but it is an additional three figures cheap. Also check the end caps at Best Buy and online, they have many figures on clearance, particularly lightcores and giants.

I dont think you do but its pretty dumb not to join the sky club. Its free, and you get a $10 off coupon for every skyshit you buy. With the b1g1 that day, It should only take 3 transactions to earn a coupon.
My local store told me that it costs $15 to join. This is their first time doing a Skylander day, so maybe they are confused. But, I don't want to pay $15 for nothing.

My local store told me that it costs $15 to join. This is their first time doing a Skylander day, so maybe they are confused. But, I don't want to pay $15 for nothing.
If I recall correctly, the Adventurer's Club is supposed to be a part of their Pro rewards card, which is $15 for the year.

$30 is a good deal for Trap Team, especially with the bonuses (which all work great). You will probably want some more Trap Masters, if just starting out get ones for different elements - you need one Trap Master of each element (10 elements) to get to everything (but really those are just small bonus areas if you aren't a completionist, but some of the best puzzles are in these). The expansions, well only the Light and Dark ones are really worth it but you may have a tougher time finding them.

For Swap Force, there are two factors blocking access to bonus areas, element and movement type (the little symbol on the base of a Swap Force figure). There are 8 elements and 8 movement types.

Every figure works in the game it was released for and after. So, if you buy a Trap Team figure it won't work in Swap Force. Also, they have minis in two packs that are fully functional figures in Trap Team, but more of a sidekick/pet in the previous games (only half of them are recognized in earlier games). If you really like the game you can also get Giants on clearance from Best Buy, but keep in mind the PS4/XB1 does not have a version of Giants if that is your chosen platform - but it is an additional three figures cheap. Also check the end caps at Best Buy and online, they have many figures on clearance, particularly lightcores and giants.
Thank you! You are a tremendous help.

Also, you are very correct about not being able to find those expansion packs. Best Buy doesn't have them anywhere near me and, while Amazon has them in stock via various sellers, they are extremely expensive. Hopefully, if I do end up getting the game(s), I can find them for a decent price at some point though.

Anyways, thanks again! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
had the card for a year or two now and I've never received any coupons either and i know i should have since i bought all 8 eons elite figures when they were 50% off.

From what I've read on the website you have to have the paid pro membership in order for the card to work,but when i got the card they just asked if i wanted to join since i was buying a skylander. Never mentioned anything about being a pro member.

I dunno what they told you when you signed up, but it's *always* been a paid membership since the plan debuted. I'm not a member, so I don't know how it works - I *think* the coupons are either emailed to you or maybe they're just tied to your regular Power Up Rewards account?

The clerk at my GS says that nobody ever gets coupons, but she's supposed to keep offering the club membership. I am a paid Power Up Rewards member, FWIW.

bread's done
Back