Official Skylanders Thread

You can put your old playsets on the base to unlock all of the corresponding items in the Toy Box. They still have the limitation of characters not able to play in a play set that's not their own. That's why Toy Box Takeover is secretly the best set to get. It allows any character to play the story. Want Chewbacca and Hulk to team up and fight Davey Jones? Sure.
Yea, and I am not much into making my own games anymore.

My bachelors was in animation, focusing of stuff for games... then I did it amatuer for a while and.. the job market turned me off.

Which is why my Masters and beyond was in Computer Science: Information Assurance - Network Administration...

So many dreams, but the reality of the industry scared me off.

That's one of the reasons I've been debating Infinity 3.0.. I want it for the gameplay, not the build your own levels.

Same with the Little Big Planet, and SPark games.. I did it for the gameplay, not the create your own.

Mario Maker has me curious... ugh if anyone has some insight.. please sent it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there been a good article that covers what the minimums one would need to 100% the game?
They made it clear that to just beat the game you'd only need a land vehicle.

Though, it looks like there's elemental vehicle gates, so there's ten vehicles needed- not sure if the superchargers are required or not, though.

With Amiibos, Infinity 3 and Lego Dimensions around, I don't want it to be like trap team again where you need 21+ things (ten trap masters, ten traps, Kaos trap)... if they keep at reasonable around 10 or so, I'll be a lot happier.
I found this site: ign.com

This series is gonna cost some serious $$$.

Mario Maker has me curious... ugh if anyone has some insight.. please sent it!
I worked in games for around 7 years before finally bailing 3 years ago. The market and industry are just too much and I'd rather just mess around in Unity and make an iphone game on my own.

I was messing around in Infinity 3.0 today and it really is a fun "Toy Box" but ultimately all the game editors are frustrating and/or weak in some way.

As for Mario Maker, My 6 year old finds it quite intuitive but looking at the world playlist it's not showing a really interesting amount of variety. What it DOES having going for it is an insane level of accessibility. It loads levels in under 7 seconds for me so I can play or ditch with no penalty. Also the levels themselves tend to be short as well so I'm not spending a lot of time on any one idea.

The editor locks in tons of rules so that everything you build has default functionality unlike the more basic building blocks in LP3 and even Infinity. Finally, it plays like Mario, which gives it better controls than either of the other two as well.

I'm pretty intrigued with Infinity but have already hit too many walls for the content I want to make. I may see if I can work around it but I'd probably rather just work with a real editor to make what I want.

Was at Game$top yesterday and saw Giants for PS3 and Wii U in the clearance bin for $11 and change. Also Battlegrounds for iOS under $10 and some 3DS versions in the bin.

Whirlwind from the first set was timed exclusive, so its been happening since the beginning.
Forgot about that one.

The kids didn't get into skylanders until the first game was out for a good 6 months so i never paid any attention to the figures from that game.Although that is the only skylanders game we have where they got all the figures. All games after that just got the new figures and stayed away from the series 2,3,4 ext... version ones unless of course they went on sale for dirt cheap.

Any idea when Best Buy might start getting Wave 2?  I'd like to pick up Shark Tank separately, but don't want to pay $15 for one.

You only need 1 of each vehicle make to 100% the story (1 land, 1 air, 1 sea)

You also can Platinum with the base chars.. supposedly
One of each? I was under the assumption that to get 100%, you need 1 element & trophy for each vehicle type (4 land, 3 air, 3 sea) and 1 character for each element type - If this is not the case, please confirm - Thanks

Any idea when Best Buy might start getting Wave 2? I'd like to pick up Shark Tank separately, but don't want to pay $15 for one.
My local Best Buys have been selling Wave 2 for a tad over a week now. They all got shipments in on September 24th, and started selling them that Sunday. Targets around here have been selling for a few days now, too. Ironically, Toys R Us hasn't gotten any in yet.

Oh, weird.  I haven't seen the listings online yet, so I guess I'll have to check the store.

Thanks for the info!

TRU buy one racing pack and get figure OR vehicle for 4.99 is better than GCU. They also have racing pack only available there (ftb). Bought pack and Jet Stream for 40 bucks.

TRU by one racing pack and get figure OR vehicle for 4.99 is better than GCU. They also have racing pack only available there (ftb). Bought pack and Jet Stream for 40 bucks.
Unless my math is wrong, GCU is still cheaper.

TRU ...... $35.99 + $4.99 = $40.98

Best Buy with GCU..... $27.99 + $11.99 (vehicle) = $39.98

One of each? I was under the assumption that to get 100%, you need 1 element & trophy for each vehicle type (4 land, 3 air, 3 sea) and 1 character for each element type - If this is not the case, please confirm - Thanks
You only need one vehicle of each type to 100% the story. Now, the racing packs (with the trophies) unlock additional race tracks/courses (not tied to the story), so if you wanted more/all the "stars" to 'level up' the portal master rank, then you would need the packs ($34.99 MSRP). But no, you don't need more than one vehicle of each type for story mode. Any Skylander can drive any vehicle and, if the vehicle takes too much damage, you just replace the Skylander. You can't 'lose' a vehicle due to low/no health.

There are no element gates in the story.

There are specific element/vehicle gates in the hub world - I think they give you stars - but again, not tied to the story.

As I and another stated. You need 1 sea, 1 land, and 1 air.
That's it, no elemental gates in story.

I am debating if the Amiibo sets are worth it during black Friday when they are usually 50% off.

Though I want the PS4 version.

YMMV Giants and Swap Force single basic chars $2 and $3 respectively.
They had a Swap Character 2 pack for $7 (Boom and Night) but it was gone when I went back and no longer in the system.

You only need one vehicle of each type to 100% the story. Now, the racing packs (with the trophies) unlock additional race tracks/courses (not tied to the story), so if you wanted more/all the "stars" to 'level up' the portal master rank, then you would need the packs ($34.99 MSRP). But no, you don't need more than one vehicle of each type for story mode. Any Skylander can drive any vehicle and, if the vehicle takes too much damage, you just replace the Skylander. You can't 'lose' a vehicle due to low/no health.

There are no element gates in the story.

There are specific element/vehicle gates in the hub world - I think they give you stars - but again, not tied to the story.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Does anyone know of any good places to trade Skylanders figures? I can't find anything very relevant here, or on reddit.com. It's killing me. Is there really nowhere?

Does Kickoff Countdown have swappable parts?
Nope, I had him.. not really that good of char and oddly while I got him for his aesthetic, it didn't work for me in game. I ended up not liking the character at all.

On that note, while I love the idea of Hammer Slam Bowser and Barrel Donkey... has anyone else noticed the lack of quality in these toys?
They look incredibly cheap.

Nope, I had him.. not really that good of char and oddly while I got him for his aesthetic, it didn't work for me in game. I ended up not liking the character at all.

On that note, while I love the idea of Hammer Slam Bowser and Barrel Donkey... has anyone else noticed the lack of quality in these toys?
They look incredibly cheap.
Eh, I need to post some pictures of some of the new amiibo I recently got. Fox's nose unpainted, Lucario and Greninja have paint smeared everywhere, Shulk is so scuffed up he looks like he just got done battling with the Mechonis himself, Marth's mouth is laughably small, ect.

The quality has really gone downhill on some of these re-releases, I guess because they had to make so many? From what I've seen the Skymiibo's look comparable.

Last edited:
Eh, I need to post some pictures of some of the new amiibo I recently got. Fox's nose unpainted, Lucario and Greninja have paint smeared everywhere, Shulk is so scuffed up he looks like he just got done battling with the Mechonis himself, Marth's mouth is laughably small, ect.

The quality has really gone downhill on some of these re-releases, I guess because they had to make so many? From what I've seen the Skymiibo's look comparable.
I think it's always been that way. People have been bitching about that for a while. Remember the "Merth" fiasco?

Anyone have advice on picking up a few of the Swap Force characters (swappers specifically.)  

My daughters just started playing the game today and I find now that we need 3 attributes (stealth, dig, and sneak) to unlock all of the rest of the areas.  

Gamestop looks like a possibility with the pre-owned, but with the buy 2 get 3 gone by, it's hard to try and find a decent deal.

Anyone have advice on picking up a few of the Swap Force characters (swappers specifically.)

My daughters just started playing the game today and I find now that we need 3 attributes (stealth, dig, and sneak) to unlock all of the rest of the areas.

Gamestop looks like a possibility with the pre-owned, but with the buy 2 get 3 gone by, it's hard to try and find a decent deal.
Black Friday is next month, I'm sure places like TRU will have deals on older characters such as Swap Force to get them off shelves.

Keep an eye on AWD, picked up most of the Swappers for less than $5.

Black Friday is next month, I'm sure places like TRU will have deals on older characters such as Swap Force to get them off shelves.

Keep an eye on AWD, picked up most of the Swappers for less than $5.
Thanks to both of you. I'll keep an eye out for both of those.

I finished Giants with my youngest today and couldn't believe how much more refined Swap Force was. Such a better game.

[quote name="ackbar7" post="12975670" timestamp="1445218115"]Keep an eye on AWD, picked up most of the Swappers for less than $5.[/quote]
What is AWD?

Did Target finally send all those legions of Head Rush and Water Traps to be destroyed? For months, there was nothing but shelves and shelves of Head Rush, and now I haven't seen any since SuperChargers came out.

Did Target finally send all those legions of Head Rush and Water Traps to be destroyed? For months, there was nothing but shelves and shelves of Head Rush, and now I haven't seen any since SuperChargers came out.
I stopped by Target today and was shocked to see how little Skylanders merch was on the shelves. Between Lego, Amiibo, Infinity and whatever those Playmotion things are, there just wasn't much space for Skylanders stuff anymore.

Well, there actually hasn't been much Skylanders stuff on Target shelves for months now. It was pretty much only Head Rush and Water Traps. They had several amazing Cartwheel deals for Skylanders, but no stores had any stock so it was pointless. I even checked the number of global Cartwheel redemptions and for some deals it was less than 200 nationwide. I'd say they actually have more stuff now than they did before, but you're right in that they have far less shelf space for it now.

If you're a TRU rewards member, here's their deal from today through Saturday....

ALL Skylanders SuperChargers single figures & vehicles - 2 for $22
So compared to Best Buy GCU, you save $2 if you buy 2 vehicles, and it's actually a worse deal if you buy 2 characters. Sigh....

Picked up this one and also bought the Skylanders Swap Force on P3 for $3. My local BestBuy also have Skylanders Giants on PS3 and NDS for $2.

bread's done
Back