Official Sony Ps2 hard Drives(used) clearanced at EB ymmv

zackattack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I picked one up used for free(1¢ really) from the EB I used to work at, which is what makes this deal extremely YMMV since you'd have to find an employee on a really nice kick or know someone to get the drive at this price.
It could be a pricing error, but I'm not sure. They were $9.99 recently, which is still an excellent price.

Good luck!
(I'm not sure if this is the same at GS)

what brand? were these the ones that came with final fantasy xi? or a different one? i dont want to waste time asking for price checks on all the drives they have.

also, do these things work as a memory card? that would be awesome to get a bigass memory card for a penny.

[quote name='dracula']
also, do these things work as a memory card? that would be awesome to get a bigass memory card for a penny.[/QUOTE]

You can't directly save a game on to them, but you can easily transfer saves from memory card to hard drive and hard drive to memory card very easily.

[quote name='FFMooglestar']You can't directly save a game on to them, but you can easily transfer saves from memory card to hard drive and hard drive to memory card very easily.[/quote]

Stupid question but is this a unique feature of the Sony HDD itself or is it more of a standard "you can do it on any drive" sort of affair? I only wonder since I'd like to try a few more alternate methods of salvaging one of my memory cards since it's in limbo due to some corrupted data.

[quote name='Kapwanil']Stupid question but is this a unique feature of the Sony HDD itself or is it more of a standard "you can do it on any drive" sort of affair? I only wonder since I'd like to try a few more alternate methods of salvaging one of my memory cards since it's in limbo due to some corrupted data.[/quote]
Save backup only works on Sony drives. I'm not sure if you can copy corrupt data either. Also, if you're buying a drive for less legal reasons, the official one is the way to go imo. Everyone I know that has a larger, non-Sony, drive for backing their games up has lost data, while everyone I know with the Sony one has had no problems.

As far as I know the only used hard drives EB will ever have(until the ps3 comes out) are the official Sony 40gb that came with FFXI and the 360 drives which are completely unrelated to this post.

And they have been in store recently around here. The store I got mine from had 5 listed in the computer but my friend could only find one in the stock room.

[quote name='zackattack']Also, if you're buying a drive for less legal reasons, the official one is the way to go imo. Everyone I know that has a larger, non-Sony, drive for backing their games up has lost data, while everyone I know with the Sony one has had no problems.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you're talking about, but I have 2 160GB Maxtor HDs and 1 160GB Seagate HD and I have never had any problems whatsoever with them.

if you want memory card space just use an action replay/ max drive and put your save on a usb drive/PC.

i dont own a computer,

if i really can just transfer savegames to and from my memory card, that would eb awesome, then i would not have to keep all of my san andreas or vice city saves on memory card, but if i ever want to go back to those, i could. Some of the bigger games take up loads and loads of memory

That's weird - I was under the impression that EB wouldn't accept the harddrives because they typically had FFXI data on them, or something like that.

I use it to manage and do occasional backups of my saves. Its great as I only need 2 mem cards (1 PS1, 1 PS2). I recomend it!

Anybody know if there's a MAME setup available for the PS2 hard drive? I know there is for the Xbox but I'm not sure about the PS2.

Isnt the new Street Fighter Anthology using the ablility to down load the game to the HDD for a no load time experience? Play Magazine this month made mention of that in their preview, but that's the only place I saw that tidbit, So I dunno. Sides I was really grabbing it for the .hack article ^^

[quote name='zackattack']Save backup only works on Sony drives. I'm not sure if you can copy corrupt data either. Also, if you're buying a drive for less legal reasons, the official one is the way to go imo. Everyone I know that has a larger, non-Sony, drive for backing their games up has lost data, while everyone I know with the Sony one has had no problems.[/quote]

Thanks a bunch! It's a definite longshot but I may as well give it a whirl. What's odd is that, after a lot of work, I was able to find out that my PS2 recognizes the memory card still exists, how much space is left on it, and I can still transfer saves to it even though it can't load anything up off of it at the moment.

May as well run out and drop $10 on a possible solution and, failing that, who can go wrong with a 40 GB HD for next to nothing?

[quote name='zackattack']I couldn't find it on the site, the sku is 2431302, but I'm almost positive that's wrong because I think GS uses 6 digit skus..[/QUOTE]

Nope, that should be right -- EB uses 6 digit skus on the website and 7 digit skus in the store.

[quote name='Supercake']Question: What 3rd party hardrives can you use on Ps2? Also, can any hardrive work on a slim, or am I SOL?[/QUOTE]

Most Maxtor and Seagate PATA drives work well. Western Digitals do not as they don't match the Network Adapter properly. But without software (like HDLoader) a 3rd party hdd is useless. And yes, this is for original PS2 systems only. Slimline owners are essentially SOL...unless you really want to wire up all 40 cables to the PS2 circuitboard and leave a hard drive dangling externally.

My local MEIJER has several but they are $99.99 and COMPUSA also had one for $89.99. I wouldve picked it up if it was in a bin or something. I was too excited about the 50% rack and forget to go check.:drool:

Question: What 3rd party hardrives can you use on Ps2? Also, can any hardrive work on a slim, or am I SOL?

There is a List of Seagate HDD that work in a PS2 With no Problem. In fact during a sale that appeared on CAG I scored 2 120 HDD which one went into my PS2 for a while Beofre both went in to my XBOX's

The slim version cannot use a HDD unless its utilized via the USB or you buy a case mod to extend it which would cost more than buying a used or refurbed Fatty.

anyone find any? I called all the Gamestops and EBs in my area (10 or so) and they said they havent had any in about a year. Is there anyway to check the stock through their store locator thingy?

Was told at the EB here that they've been sending any hard drives (including drives for the 360) that they get back to the wherehouse for a while now (apparently one of the issues was not wanting to be responsible for risk of selling drives with pirated content on them)

These are just normal hard drives formatted for PS2, right? So, if I wanted to, I could take one of these, reformat it, and slap it in my computer?

Definitely Logain8955.

Sorry for getting people's hopes up, I'm not sure why the EB I got it at had it if they've supposedly been sending them back :\

bread's done
Back