Official Virtua Fighter 5 Thread

Really starting to question a purchase on this one, even on 360. After paying $20 for VF4:Evo and getting all that extra content (that is missing from VF5) I am gonna wait for the double dip version, or a cheap used one..

[quote name='jer7583']Really starting to question a purchase on this one, even on 360. After paying $20 for VF4:Evo and getting all that extra content (that is missing from VF5) I am gonna wait for the double dip version, or a cheap used one..[/QUOTE]

the only thing that's missing is the in depth training mode. Reviewers are making it sound like the game has hardly any content, which is wrong. It's basically the same package as Evo. People just don't like fighting games anymore, but that's a different thread. :)

not sure what you think about fighting games though. I guess I wouldn't recommend it at $60 for someone who isn't already a big fan of fighting games. If your friends suck worse than the A.I. like mine, then all that you have is Quest mode (which I enjoy a lot actually. at the later levels the AI is awesome.) but yeah, there is a chance a new VF5 evo edition could come out in a few years.

[quote name='Thomas96']I dont understand how VF5 gets a gameplay score of 8... an 8 for the best fighting engine... ever![/QUOTE]

or how game trailers gave it a 5 for story. that's like rating ice cream a 5 because it doesn't taste more like steak.

[quote name='Apossum']or how game trailers gave it a 5 for story. that's like rating ice cream a 5 because it doesn't taste more like steak.[/QUOTE]

Jeese, how can you rate something like this for storyline? I do enjoy that analogy, though.

[quote name='Chacrana']Jeese, how can you rate something like this for storyline? I do enjoy that analogy, though.[/QUOTE]

agreed on both parts.

I've never remembered a time when VF relied on story at all... If you want story based 3d fighters go to namco...

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I could say all 360 and Wii games suck too.[/QUOTE]

And you often do, ad nauseam.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing MarkMan's impressions of the new characters, if he has any. I find the previews/reviews have been a bit lacking for the more hardcore fighting fans, but it'd be great to hear what someone who knows his Tekken/VF has to say, without worring that people won't know what buffering or just frames are.

I bought it today. Didnt get to play much since I have quite a bit of hw but from what ive played its really hard lol (then again ive never played a VF game before) I gotta say from my 30 min of playing i like tekken 5 better. But maybe after playing around with it some ill get the hang of it. The game looks really pretty ^_^

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']I bought it today. Didnt get to play much since I have quite a bit of hw but from what ive played its really hard lol (then again ive never played a VF game before) I gotta say from my 30 min of playing i like tekken 5 better. But maybe after playing around with it some ill get the hang of it. The game looks really pretty ^_^[/QUOTE]

give it time. You have to let VF grow on you. It's more loved due to the appreciation of how well balanced the game is and skill based things.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']give it time. You have to let VF grow on you. It's more loved due to the appreciation of how well balanced the game is and skill based things.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. VF generally has a much longer learning curve than other fighters, but the fun is in plumbing those depths.

A word of friendly advice: if you're new to VF, don't use Akira. I know he looks like the default karate guy who's always meant for new players ... but he isn't. He really, really isn't.

I'll really miss the in depth training mode. VF4's training made me get such a good feel for the fighting engine that I never would have otherwise on my own, and actually made a few of my friends become competent challengers.

[quote name='trq']Agreed. VF generally has a much longer learning curve than other fighters, but the fun is in plumbing those depths.

A word of friendly advice: if you're new to VF, don't use Akira. I know he looks like the default karate guy who's always meant for new players ... but he isn't. He really, really isn't.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i know now lol. The first character i tried was akira and I got my ass kicked on the 4th fight in arcade mode. Well ill be playing the game a lot tonight since i wont have homework or class tommorow ^_^

[quote name='trq']Agreed. VF generally has a much longer learning curve than other fighters, but the fun is in plumbing those depths.

A word of friendly advice: if you're new to VF, don't use Akira. I know he looks like the default karate guy who's always meant for new players ... but he isn't. He really, really isn't.[/QUOTE]

I tried to play with him when I first played VF 5... Akira is the most complicated character in the game. Besides Lei Fei

The Bryants and Lion are usually good choices for beginners. I still use the Bryants primarily as I find their move set to be a lot of fun, especially Sarah. Nailing someone with her flip kick is always a delight.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']The Bryants and Lion are usually good choices for beginners. I still use the Bryants primarily as I find their move set to be a lot of fun, especially Sarah. Nailing someone with her flip kick is always a delight.[/QUOTE]

Agree'd, Jackie is a great starter character.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']never play commentary in english... japanese never gets old.[/QUOTE]

can you turn on the japanese commentary in the US game? I couldn't find it if you can.

I liked using Pai as a beginner character, she's still a lot of fun to play in VF4.

I picked up the game Wednesday and have already logged 100+ fights in Quest Mode. The item battles are incredibly addictive although I wish I could come across some big money making opportunities - I won some tournament and got 10000 gold, but nothing since has approached that amount. I haven't played VF since owning part 2 on the Saturn many, many years ago and had forgotten how fun this series is.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']can you turn on the japanese commentary in the US game? I couldn't find it if you can.[/quote]
You'll have to change the PS3's system language to japanese to hear the commentary in japanese.

[quote name='SmallWind']You'll have to change the PS3's system language to japanese to hear the commentary in japanese.[/QUOTE]

excellent, thank you.

Anyone get beat up by my character AI yet? :)

I've been using Wolf mostly... little bit of Lion/Kage for fun...

This game is a breath of fresh air.. I'm loving it.. I'll be entering EVO for this game as well. :)

Ugh, what's a good controller that can be used on it other than the stick? My hands are cramping going from P+K to P+G to P+K+G while having to deal with the still awful corners.

[quote name='Gojtron']Ugh, what's a good controller that can be used on it other than the stick? My hands are cramping going from P+K to P+G to P+K+G while having to deal with the still awful corners.[/QUOTE]

try shoulder buttons...

So I was playing VF5 and I finally encounter my character AI... Assassin rank Lion named MarkManSDT... damn it didn't have a PR comment :/ !

I guess "SD IRON FIST" was too obvious? lol...

But shit, I almost got my ass handed to me, I had to turtle and giant swing that motherfucker out of the ring.... lol. GG to myself...

[quote name='MarkMan']So I was playing VF5 and I finally encounter my character AI... Assassin rank Lion named MarkManSDT... damn it didn't have a PR comment :/ !

I guess "SD IRON FIST" was too obvious? lol...

But shit, I almost got my ass handed to me, I had to turtle and giant swing that motherfucker out of the ring.... lol. GG to myself...[/quote]

What are the rank titles after 10th dan? My Eileen is 4/5th dan right now.

[quote name='laserazer']My friend wants to know if virtua fighter 5 is 1080i capable? He has one of those HDTVs...[/QUOTE]

Back of the box says 720p - still looks real nice to me though.

I finally cracked and I am getting an arcade stick. This game is just too good to be playing on a pad, mainly because I can't pull off any of the moves on the pad :roll:

Hey Markman, out of curiosity, how did you end up getting your ai programmed into the game?

I know game journalists had some kind of mini competition to get in. Did you have to do something similar to that?

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']Hey Markman, out of curiosity, how did you end up getting your ai programmed into the game?

I know game journalists had some kind of mini competition to get in. Did you have to do something similar to that?[/QUOTE]

he's the cag fighting game god. They didn't even program him in there, he just....appeared. :lol:

[quote name='MarkMan']
After 10th dan is Master.[/quote]

K thanks, at 9th dan now. I saw one master rank in quest mode but it wasn't you. Was going to fight him but I exited out for a tourney. :D

I just fought your AI Markman, he mad rushed me every round and I had to resolve to turtling like you. The other AIs I fought that i noticed were HeartNana from TZ and SRK, ZiwE and PhoenixDth from VFDC.

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']Hey Markman, out of curiosity, how did you end up getting your ai programmed into the game?

I know game journalists had some kind of mini competition to get in. Did you have to do something similar to that?[/quote] I think there was some sign-up form that Sega had on thier VF5 site some months ago.

[quote name='Tron999']Which one did you order?[/QUOTE]
I bought the Hori Fighting Stick 3 from my local EB Games. Since I am not a hardcore VF-fan the Hori stick fits my needs just fine. The stick works fine, very sturdy, and responsive. I recommend this to any casual VF fans. Very good.

Same, just fought you too Markman. It's 1/1 now. Btw, so after 10th dan, there's Master and Warrior (which I just got). What ranks are after those. I saw assasin, defender and veteran. If possible in order please.

Thanks small. I now have to re-train myself new strats because my usual isn't working anymore. I wonder how many other ranks are after yours.

BTW, which char are you using small? Right now I'm playing Eileen. In VF:4 Evo I was learning how to use Lei and Brad. She seems more like my playstyle. I plan on learning others though since a couple of my friends are fighting game nuts.

EDIT: Small I noticed you're new to CAG. Welcome and isht!

It depends on your win % once you get to 10th dan... some people will go to Master, some will go to Hunter > Raider route...

I'm assuming since you went from Master > Warrior > Veteran > Gladiator > Vindicator that you've had a 90% winn rate all the way through, right?

Yeah, my win rate was about 90%, when I was 10th dan on Eileen (currently still using).

Was bored of losing left and right to the AI especially the Laus and decided to check out the movies at the VF.TV section. The promo movie B was pretty trippy and gave me a WTF moment.

Does anyone have the VF5 strategy guide? I flipped through it real quick and I was wondering what it's like. I might get it for VF4 Evo, are the moves the same?

This game is amazing, i hated VF4 evo but i think i didn't want to give it a chance since the graphics sucked, (i played it after DOA4)

The guide is pretty good, it is better than most fighting game guides out there... it was written by some of the authors that worked on the SF Anniversary guide...

[quote name='snack']I bought the Hori Fighting Stick 3 from my local EB Games. Since I am not a hardcore VF-fan the Hori stick fits my needs just fine. The stick works fine, very sturdy, and responsive. I recommend this to any casual VF fans. Very good.[/quote]

I picked this one up as well, and for the casual fighting gamer, I'd say it fits perfectly. I'm no expert by any means, but I can usually play mediocre.. I've been playing for around a week and am not very far along the curve... I am learning some good throws (playing Lion). I'm definitely past the stage of "masher"... because in VF5, I don't think most people appreciate that it's not Tekken. But in that respect, I appreciate its depth of play and anticipate many hours of game time on it... Not necessarily obsessively, of course. :)

The stick also works well in Tekken 5. Some of the harder moves like Yoshimitsu's (some of which I could never master on the controller) are fairly easy to accomplish with the fighting stick...

I want a stick for this game badly...I feel cheap using macros, but how else can you push p+k+g without clawing your hand on the controller?

that nyko converter needs to hurry up :)

Quick question about the rankings...I got to Master as Lion and won several fights in a row after that, including a couple against Veteran ranked players. My ranking meter didn't change at all, but then I got to a fight against a 10th dan Eileen and all of a sudden it was a ranked match where I risked demotion if I lost. I won, and my meter finally went up again. Is this the way the rankings are from here on out where I risk demotion every time I want to fill up the meter? My win % is right around 86 - if I get it up to 90 will it change things? Any info is greatly appreciated!

bread's done
Back