Oh god, Dual boot hell, please help

dragonsho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Alright, so this isn't pertaining to dual boot but the problem comes from dual boot.

Basically, I had xp 64bit on C: and E: was 32bit (both on the same physical drive). Now I stopped using 64bit some time ago. I load up my XP disc and basically, erased partition C: Please keep in mind that this part was on purpose. What I didn't realize was that the boot.ini and all the boot files were stored on C: Now I can't get E: to boot. I even went into the recovery console to try and repair it there. I can select C: or E: when I start recovery console but when I try any bootcfg command, such as bootcfg /scan, E: doesn't come up. The only thing that is recognized as a Windows install is C: (Which is where I installed xp 32 bit just now after I f'd up 64bit. I want to use XP on E: because that where the registry is and the OS I've been using for the past 8 months). As far as data, that's all on D: so it's not a huge deal if I have to reinstall windows, just a pain in the ass.

Any advice?

From this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

You could try editing the boot.ini file directly by adding a line like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows XP Professionall" /fastdetect

Of course, you may need to adjust the disk/partition parameters to match your config and name the operating system as you like. For the disk/partition params, just look at the existing entry and just adjust the partition number, since they are on the same physical drive.

I'd get my data off and just start with a clean slate. Use GParted to create two primary partitions. Then use GAG for a boot manager and hide the partitions from each other. This way you can boot into either OS and they won't know about the other OS, and each one will be a C: drive. You could then create a logical partition as a data drive (D: drive) that either OS can access (as long as they are both NTFS file systems). I'm doing this for Vista 64 and XP 32-bit and it works great.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

Thanks.
I actually got my old XP install back running but I still didn't fully resolve my problem.

How would I go about removing the XP install on C: and then getting it to boot directly from F: (which is where my original xp install is now)

[quote name='dragonsho']Thanks.
I actually got my old XP install back running but I still didn't fully resolve my problem.

How would I go about removing the XP install on C: and then getting it to boot directly from F: (which is where my original xp install is now)[/QUOTE]

First thing you could do is to change the boot.ini to make the OS on the F: drive the default...OR...

If you want it to boot directly from F:, then that partition needs to be marked as the ACTIVE partition.

There may be more to it than that. For example, I'm not sure if when you do a secondary OS installation like that (to a non active partition), does it make the drive bootable? If not, then you'll still have to depend upon a bootable C: drive.

Read up on the MBR (master boot record) for more information.

bread's done
Back