oh. my. goodness. New SMB Video Footage!!!! <3 <3 <3!!!!

Wow!

Thanks for the link--I had not seen that footage before.

That looks like a great level. Really cool classic Mario Bros action. I love the sandstorms. I'm so happy I have a DS :)

Man, that game really captures the majesty and essence of EVERY OTHER FREAKING GAME WITH MARIO IN IT.

I love mario, and the little world he's based in...but this is getting annoying.

How about something original?

Not Mario on the nes, not mario on the snes, not mario on the n64....how about a new mario built for the DS?

The most original Mario game in years has been paper mario 2 and that mario RPG on the GBA....and I fucking hate RPGs.

[quote name='BrerDan']Really cool classic Mario Bros action.[/QUOTE]

How can it be "classic", if this "classic" action comes out every freaking 3 months?

It's just impossible to please everyone. I, for one, am glad it's in the vein of the original Super Mario Brothers and not another Mario 64 clone. While new ideas and "original" game designs are nice, it's also good for a game company from time to time to say "Hey, that worked. Maybe we should go with that!"

Coke and Pepsi come out with new "Vanilla" and "Lime" all the time, but nobody complains that you can still buy a good ole' Classic Coke or Pepsi (Oh! That's SO old!)

This will most likely be the game that sells me a DS.

I love sidescrollers, and I especially love the SNES Mario games (including All Stars).

[quote name='Mookyjooky']How can it be "classic", if this "classic" action comes out every freaking 3 months?[/QUOTE]

But it doesn't. This is the first side-scrolling Mario in many years!! Sure they have re-releases the others on later formats, but that to me is very different from a new adventure. I'm just not a fan of the 3D style, and in 2D style it has been a long, long time for Mario.

Now, I *also* would like completely new approaches--but I see nothing wrong with making new versions in the classic style.

Damn that looks sweet. That is so the Mario game I've been waiting for.
Only thing left for Nintendo to do is introduce a new badguy and everything I wanted for a New Mario game will come true.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Man, that game really captures the majesty and essence of EVERY OTHER FREAKING GAME WITH MARIO IN IT.

I love mario, and the little world he's based in...but this is getting annoying.

How about something original?

Not Mario on the nes, not mario on the snes, not mario on the n64....how about a new mario built for the DS?

The most original Mario game in years has been paper mario 2 and that mario RPG on the GBA....and I fucking hate RPGs.[/QUOTE]

there is superstar saga 2 coming soon.

It looks pretty boring. I got really excited about the footage during the first few seconds but as Mario just kept jumping over quicksand and grabbing coins and jumping over quicksand and grabbing coins and jumping over quicksand and grabbing coins....and jumping over quicksand and grabbing coins (with some miscellaneous obstacles in between) I quickly lost my interest. It would be great if the background had more movement - more life. It looks stagnant. I just hope that we get some new gameplay and not just a polygonal rehash of every other side-scrolling mario game.

[quote name='basketkase543']It looks pretty boring. I got really excited about the footage during the first few seconds but as Mario just kept jumping over quicksand and grabbing coins and jumping over quicksand and grabbing coins and jumping over quicksand and grabbing coins....and jumping over quicksand and grabbing coins (with some miscellaneous obstacles in between) I quickly lost my interest. It would be great if the background had more movement - more life. It looks stagnant. I just hope that we get some new gameplay and not just a polygonal rehash of every other side-scrolling mario game.[/QUOTE]
To the people who aren't excited: this isn't the final build! You're supposed to be excited about the engine, and how everything looks. These aren't finished levels, and all the enemies and such aren't put in yet. But the foundation that's been laid looks pretty damn solid.

I have never seen any merit to owning a DS before I saw this footage, hopefully they will do some sort of bundle deal with the system when this thing ships.

This vid does seem to show all the earmarks of a Mario 2D side-scroller, and, to me, that’s not a bad thing. While I hope for more innovation in the final build, what I saw really reminded me why I love the franchise – old-fashioned platforming goodness!

This video is pretty lame compared with some other footage at Gamespot that showed Mario growing super huge and invincible as well as doing back flips. I really like the animations though. It's great to see Mario grabbing a mushroom and those Pirhana Plants look sick.

[quote name='nootch']I have never seen any merit to owning a DS before I saw this footage, hopefully they will do some sort of bundle deal with the system when this thing ships.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I'm holding out for a DS adapter to Revolution to play some of these games. If the controller does in fact have a touch screen it would make a lot of sense...

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, I'm holding out for a DS adapter to Revolution to play some of these games. If the controller does in fact have a touch screen it would make a lot of sense...[/QUOTE]
Won't happen, and it wouldn't make sense. Look at a game like Metroid Pinball and you'll see why.

[quote name='Indiana']Now the DS just needs to drop to $89.99 and it might be worth buying.[/QUOTE]

Wait about....2-3 years and yo can get it new for that price!

*didnt give a shit about mario since mario64*

this game...looks exactly like 20 something mario games released in the past year.

oh wait, isnt that a DS? whatsthe bottom screen used for?

I really don't understand people saying like, "WTF! TRY SOMETHING NEW, MARIO!", because this is in fact the first new side-scrolling Mario game since Super Mario Land 2 in 1992. That was over 10 years ago...

Edit, originally said Yoshi's Island in 1995, but that had funky play mechanics, and you played as Yoshi.

I wonder if there will be an overworld ala Super Mario World and SMB3 or a 1-1, 1-2...etc progression ala SMB1.

Also, I hope this is a "hold one button to sprint, and other to jump, nothing else" type of Mario Game, hopefully they don't try anything fancy.

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, I'm holding out for a DS adapter to Revolution to play some of these games. If the controller does in fact have a touch screen it would make a lot of sense...[/QUOTE]

Nintendo stated last year that neither the Revo console or the controller would have a touchscreen.

Q: Will Revolution feature screens on the console or the controller?

Fact: No. At a June 2004 analyst briefing in Japan, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said, "We have no intention of making a two screen console akin to the [Nintendo] DS."

If you think about it, a touchscreen controller which emulates buttons, analog sticks, etc, would be horrible to play with. Without any tactile response to pushing buttons, how would you know you had pressed it, or how hard you had pressed it? It just doesn't make sense. Using a touchscreen for analog control is one thing, but using it for button input would be a bitch.

For example, I have a Radio Shack universal remote which uses a customizable touchscreen. It turns out that it is a pain in the ass to use b/c I have to constantly look down at it to make sure I am pressing the right "button" on the screen. I ended up resorting to using the tactile channel up/down buttons more often than the touchscreen because of this. The remote is now in a closet somewhere.

Wow, that was definitely a thing of beauty. All the graphics look amazingly smooth and clean. The gameplay looks great, too. I am definitely excited about this one.

[quote name='BrerDan']But it doesn't. This is the first side-scrolling Mario in many years!! Sure they have re-releases the others on later formats, but that to me is very different from a new adventure. I'm just not a fan of the 3D style, and in 2D style it has been a long, long time for Mario.

Now, I *also* would like completely new approaches--but I see nothing wrong with making new versions in the classic style.[/QUOTE]

You have it in teh gamecube Wario.. That was a great game if it werent for its shortness it would be a classic.

bread's done
Back