Oh yeah baby! Etrian Odyssey II

madara

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
EO2 gets US release this summer. Going to be buying two this time, it will save my dim friend $50 I figure. Bonus pts if you can spot Game Informer Joke in PR.

ADVENTURERS WANTED; ATLUS ANNOUNCES DUNGEON RPG ETRIAN ODYSSEY II: HEROES OF LAGAARD FOR NINTENDO DS!
One of gaming’s truest RPG series returns in June.

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — MARCH 27th, 2008 — Atlus U.S.A., Inc., preferred publisher of adventuring duo Fight and Heal, today announced Etrian Odyssey™II: Heroes of Lagaard for Nintendo DS™. Continuing one of the genre’s purest experiences, this sequel builds upon the original cult classic with more diverse areas to explore, new character classes, more fiendish FOEs, and an improved mapping system.

Etrian Odyssey II boasts an all-star development team, led by director Shigeo Komori (scenario designer - Etrian Odyssey, Odin Sphere). Composer Yuzo Koshiro (Actraiser, Streets of Rage, Etrian Odyssey) returns for Heroes of Lagaard, in addition to character designer Yuji Himukai and monster designer Shin Nagasawa, who both worked on the original Etrian Odyssey.

The odyssey resumes June 17th.

Visit the official Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard website: www.atlus.com/etrian2

About Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
In the Grand Duchy of High Lagaard, it is said that the Duke is descended from inhabitants of a castle in the sky. When an unforeseen crisis befalls the nation, it is decreed that the first explorer to retrieve the Grail of Kings from that mythical floating palace will be rewarded with wealth and fame beyond imagining. Enter the central city of Lagaard and begin your journey to the clouds!

Key Features
• Make the adventure yours – Rediscover true role-playing as you build your party of stalwart adventurers from 12 different classes. From basics like name and sex to advanced settings like combat formation, skills, and spells, every detail is yours to customize!
• The Odyssey continues – Experience an all-new story, more classes, improved mapping capabilities, new Force Skills, and over 100 side-quests.
• Chart your progress through the dungeons – Etrian Odyssey’s innovative mapmaking tool returns with more options and features! Use the touch screen to map out the halls, chambers, treasures, and dangers of the realms you explore.

Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

###

About Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
Located in Irvine, California and founded in 1991, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. is renowned for its proud tradition of publishing exceptional role-playing games with strong niche appeal. The Atlus library of critically acclaimed video games includes Odin Sphere, Trauma Center series, and the award-winning Shin Megami Tensei series. For more information, visit http://www.atlus.com.

©2008 ATLUS Co., LTD., all rights reserved. Licensed to and published by Atlus U.S.A., Inc. Wii and Nintendo DS are trademarks of Nintendo.

Very interesting. After a long hiatus, I've gotten back into Etrian Odyssey while at work or while the PSP is charging (FFVII:CC is occupying most of my time).

I've always wondered if I'm leveling up my characters in Etrian Odyssey in an intelligent manner, but I guess I'll figure it out when I get to the end of the game if I can survive. ;)

/tk

Awesome news, even though I'm only about 2/3 of the way through EO. Gonna try to jump back into it now after I finish NG.

Also
Atlus U.S.A., Inc., preferred publisher of adventuring duo Fight and Heal, today announced Etrian Odyssey™II: Heroes of Lagaard for Nintendo DS
:rofl:

Damn... is it me or is there like a billion Atlus titles coming out as of late? I've already got interest 4 titles within the next few months.:whistle2:k

I can't say I'm excited though, I never got too far into EO.

I havent played the 1st one since August, it was getting to be a bit of a time consumer. Once school's out maybe I'll try to finish it. But, I loved all of what I played in the 1st one, so I'm glad to hear it's getting a sequel!

Hopefully this one will have more than 1 save slot...

June 17. That should give me enough time to finish Personal 3 FES once I get it. Now I'm kinda glad I could never find the first one anywhere for sale. It sounds like you don't have to play that first to understand the sequel.

Oh man, and I just got the first one. There's no way I'll be able to finish it before the sequel comes out.

[quote name='cletus']June 17. That should give me enough time to finish Personal 3 FES once I get it. Now I'm kinda glad I could never find the first one anywhere for sale. It sounds like you don't have to play that first to understand the sequel.[/QUOTE]

I am absolutely excited about P3 FES. But damn... too many games to play, and I have yet to beat EO.

[quote name='Metalic']Im still only on the 6th floor or so on the first game :cry:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Yaxley']Oh man, and I just got the first one. There's no way I'll be able to finish it before the sequel comes out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='LancerEvoX']I am absolutely excited about P3 FES. But damn... too many games to play, and I have yet to beat EO.[/QUOTE]

Start grinding, fast

oh good lord no. my girlfriend was obsessed with the first one, and got in a bad mood every time the game did something "cheap" or "cheated". so, like every 2 seconds.

[quote name='ikariwarriors']oh good lord no. my girlfriend was obsessed with the first one, and got in a bad mood every time the game did something "cheap" or "cheated". so, like every 2 seconds.[/QUOTE]

like running out of SP and having a FOE join in on a fight?
Those moments are awesome, gives everyone (read: me) a lesson in "how not to fuck up"

what i heard about was mainly about random new baddies joining fights in progress, and trying so desperately to avoid fights in the mazes to attack the bosses with full strength

i don't think she finished it (got sidetracked with Picross), but she'll more than likely want this one when it comes as well, and i'll have to avoid her like it's Time of the Month.

damn I just found the first one and started looking into it a bit more... I like to play 1 hour or so 3-4 nights a week on y ds... this would take me like a year to beat at that rate..

Any of you hoping for some basic automap feature? Drawing maps on previous game made it a chore.

[quote name='laaj']Any of you hoping for some basic automap feature? Drawing maps on previous game made it a chore.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice, but it really didn't bother me too much in the first one after I got used to it.

Is there any point in getting the first game for someone that may be purchasing a DS soon, or should I just wait for the second one to come out?

Well I picked up the first one and it's amazing! Can't wait for EO2 now. Here are some links for those interested.

New Trailer

1up.com preview

Another 1up.com preview

There is a 3 page article about it in the new issue of Nintendo Power. A brief summary of it

Etrian Odyssey II details

30 levels
warp points within each 5 floor stratum (not only at the beginning)
interrupt save feature
rest feature to redistribute skills with a 5 level penalty
ability to strafe
some FOEs disappear from your map and walk through walls
need to use items and abilities to lure FOEs toward you
no experience points for beating FOEs

Also of note is that the official site now has all 12 classes viewable with every portrait for each class. I'll definitely be putting a War Magus in my group (hopefully her healing is enough to supplant the medic so I can use something else instead of needing both).

I thought i got the 1st game turn out i had Luminous Arc instead :( If 2nd game sale good possible ATLUST re-print the 1st game :)

ok, i know the game isn't about "graphics," but i wish they would have added two little things... (ahem):

1. just ONE extra frame of animation for the enemies... a grimace when hit, a pose when attacking... just something to make them feel a little more alive. heck, we've all seen flash games with great art that have limited animation.

2. i would really like to see my characters on screen, somehow, during the battle. maybe just one at a time, as they attack (think phantasy star 2 perspective). i just felt very disconnected fighting with the five various "stat boxes" being, esentially, my party.

anyone else feel the same way?

[quote name='coltyhuxx']2. i would really like to see my characters on screen, somehow, during the battle. maybe just one at a time, as they attack (think phantasy star 2 perspective). i just felt very disconnected fighting with the five various "stat boxes" being, esentially, my party.

anyone else feel the same way?[/quote]

When I first saw the game, I didn't like that you never saw your characters, but then I watched some videos and saw that you see them every time you enter in a command for them. I'm fine with that. If you didn't see them at all, then I'd agree.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']wait, in the second one? i don't recall that in the first one.... like a portrait in the corner?[/QUOTE]
I think their portrait shows up on the left side during menu selection. when your turn.

No experience for beating FOE sucks...how can that be?!

[quote name='coltyhuxx']wait, in the second one? i don't recall that in the first one.... like a portrait in the corner?[/quote]

It's in the first one when you are selecting the actions for your characters each turn.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']
No experience for beating FOE sucks...how can that be?!
[/quote]

I don't think it's a big deal personally. ;)

It seems like they did a pretty good job of making the sequel more accessible, but not any easier. Are we spoilering this stuff?

More warp points, quick save, etc is great so I won't have to take ten minutes of the hour I have to play at a time making my way back to the last place I stopped. But since you not only miss out on the exp that you would have gained by making that trip but also FOE exp, it certainly won't be any easier to build up your levels to avoid getting wiped out.

[quote name='botticus']It seems like they did a pretty good job of making the sequel more accessible, but not any easier. Are we spoilering this stuff?

More warp points, quick save, etc is great so I won't have to take ten minutes of the hour I have to play at a time making my way back to the last place I stopped. But since you not only miss out on the exp that you would have gained by making that trip but also FOE exp, it certainly won't be any easier to build up your levels to avoid getting wiped out.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's one of the new features I most welcome. As for spoiler tags, shrug, I just put them up in case people are overally anal about spoilers lol. I just repurchased a DS last week, so not sure how most folk on this board handle pre-release discussion. They probably don't need the tags at all though.

actually, being spoiled makes me anal about spoilers
Back when Kotor was released, some fucker posted a topic on gamefaqs
The Main Character is REVAN? OMG SPOILER!!
It sucked.. I dont want it to ever suck again

[quote name='ihavenolife123']actually, being spoiled makes me anal about spoilers
Back when Kotor was released, some fucker posted a topic on gamefaqs
The Main Character is REVAN? OMG SPOILER!!
It sucked.. I dont want it to ever suck again[/quote]

By anal about spoilers, I meant something like if I were to post "The chef class has a new skill this game called Cook Fish" and somebody read it and responded with "wtfz d00d, major spoilerz!?". Obviously, story elements are spoilers and should be marked as such, but I wasn't sure how folk here feel about non major things like new skills or class changes and whatnot.

[quote name='Ryukahn']By anal about spoilers, I meant something like if I were to post "The chef class has a new skill this game called Cook Fish" and somebody read it and responded with "wtfz d00d, major spoilerz!?". Obviously, story elements are spoilers and should be marked as such, but I wasn't sure how folk here feel about non major things like new skills or class changes and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

i believe gameplay should sell the game before it is even out....so spoiling gameplay is kinda hard to avoid

Really intrested in this game. My one problem is the forest theme. Does it stay the same through out the game? does it vary the further down you go?

[quote name='StinkyCheese']Really intrested in this game. My one problem is the forest theme. Does it stay the same through out the game? does it vary the further down you go?[/QUOTE]

I would assume it's like the first, in that every five floors the scenery changes dramatically. For instance, in Etrian Oddysey I the first area is an plain deciduous forest, while the second area is
an overgrown jungle
and third is
a flooded rainforest
. Then there are three areas beyond that, with even more varied scenery.

I bought the first one this weekend, started playing it at around 2pm saturday, stopped by 3am, got up at 9am sunday, started playing it and stopped at midnight. I haven't had a game like this where I couldn't put it down. It's definitely in a genre not everyone is going to like. There is tons of backtracking, there is nothing particularly intuitive about what skills are good/great, but there is a lot of customization you can try too. Thankfully I haven't run into particularly "bad" classes or skills, and for me at least the character building is very fun.

This is purposely an old school RPG, even down to non stacking inventory items and being able to sell things 1 at a time (which this is unnecessary), and having an inventory limitation which is rather prohibitive. I'd probably only recommend it to friends that I know will like this kind of game as it is a throwback, and hopefully I can finish it before the second comes out. I'm up to the 7th floor and around level 25.

[quote name='Nakilos']being able to sell things 1 at a time (which this is unnecessary)[/quote]

You can hit Y (i think it's Y) and sell all of the same items that you have. Unless you mean they shouldn't have the option of only selling one of an item.

Never really got into the first one. It was just plain boring, and I'm the kind who thinks text based RPGs are fun. I suppose I'll pass on this, unless someone can tell me this game isn't MotS And is it just me, or is DS getting almost nothing but RPGs as of late? It sure seems like it.

ON the contests/free stuff forums there was a facebook survey for college students. Me and another atlus fan filled them out and received $15 amazon gift cards in return. He gave me his and now
I got Etrian Odyssey 2 fully payed for :)

I have played and finished the Japanese version.
It's very much like the first one, very much a niche game for old-school RPG geeks who ENJOY the mapping aspect, because, well, I'm anal when it comes to stuff like that.

For those wondering, if you finish the first EO, you will be given code which you can use in EO2 to get a special item. It's spiffy but not unfair/broken/stupid.

The world tree is just like in the first one, 5 floors make up a section, the environment changes every 5 floors. I was sucked in just like the first with all the stat planning, number crunching, dungeon crawling etc... but just my own opinion, I was a little disappointed that the game didn't ultimately feel any harder or more challenging than the first EO...

[quote name='Shion'] but just my own opinion, I was a little disappointed that the game didn't ultimately feel any harder or more challenging than the first EO...[/QUOTE]

I think the game actually becomes hard as soon as two things take place. Either your team becomes unbalanced, or your team continues down the maze under-levelled. Of course, it goes without saying that a super balanced team can allow plenty of room for under-leveling and still get pretty far.

But for example, My Axesketch/whiphunter/medic/alchemist/troubadour team will be at a disadvantage when ganged upon
The Royal Ant was hard only because of its posse

[quote name='Ryukahn']I just got the new EGM and they have a review of Etrian Odyssey II. The scores they gave are A-, B+, and B.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, would a bad review stop you from getting it ;)

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Honestly, would a bad review stop you from getting it ;)[/quote]

Of course not. I just thought some people might be interested to know what EGM scored it.

Liking the fact that pretty much all the classes are opened up at the beginning, less need for rebalancing of your party later on if you wanted a new class.

Haven't actually gotten into the labyrinth yet, stupid password kept me busy for an hour last night, finally had to use one of GameFAQs (if you do that, they do let you change your guild name from whatever carries over from the password, though they keep referring to the original name in town).

bread's done
Back