Oh yeah baby! Etrian Odyssey II

Currently playing EO1 atm. Im in the primitive jungle still where you first encounter floors that hurt you. Am i even slightly far or still fairly early in the game? I just ordered EO2 and its coming in a week or so. :bouncy:

Thats nice to know. Wasnt sure on the floor numbers. i can never move onto a sequel without beating the first so im hoping to beat EO1 without having to wait to long to pick up and play 2. Also because 2 improves on so much im afraid i cant go back if i were to pick up 2 without finishing 1

Im about to be heading into B9F

That is the second stratum, depending you have 3 main story ones to go and the post game one. So basically 20-40% in.

Interesting thing, I went to Gamestop saturday and this was on the shelf. I was under the impression it was to be sold on 6/17 but the guy behind the counter told me he got this that day and was able to sell it "because it didn't have a street date". Seemed odd to me.

Some games don't have strict "street dates".

So this game is out already?

Hm, if I can find a total of six DS games I really want, I may try to pick this up with the TRU sale.

[quote name='gunm']Some games don't have strict "street dates".

So this game is out already?

Hm, if I can find a total of six DS games I really want, I may try to pick this up with the TRU sale.[/quote]

Buy six DS games at once? Wow. Talk about a backlog.

On a more related note, I heard that immunize was removed from EO II. I'm not sure whether to be happy or to be sad. The game (specifically FOE's) got much more manageable once I got immunized maxed out, and I certainly can understand why some people call it an easy button. Stick immunize up and and you can just outlast every single major enemy in the midgame. I remembered an epic battle where my team had run so low on TP and TP restoring items that I had to limit the items only to my medic. I took down multiple FOE's solely with my Dark Hunter's binds (never appreciated 5 tp attack skills until then) and normal physical attacks. That sort of removed the danger and excitement from combat, aside from the occasional binding or special effect.

On the other hand, Etrian Odyssey had some very hard-hitting bosses. Without immunize up I would see my party wrecked in a turn or two. I have absolutely no clue how I could manage without it. I suppose I would use Defender or Shelter which aren't quite as godly as Immunize, but even then I would still be relying on defensive buffs.

Oh well. Hupefully EO II was balanced so that things still remain relatively reasonable despite the removal of defensive buffs.

I never used Immunize in the first game and I got through it okay.

The game was supposed to ship yesterday, but it shipped to GameStops on Friday, so most got it by Monday.

Finally got into the labyrinth, cleared (most of) 1F.

I'm going to get this probably tommorow when amazon ship it here. I'm going to use this thread to keep my sanity. Also, this might prevent me from senting it to goozex if it gets too hard.

So what parties have people been using? The only major change I made to my party was dumping the Troubador and using a War Magus instead of a Medic, and Hexer instead of the bard. Hexer seems much improved, shifting poison to them is excellent early game and the debuffs are pretty strong. It combos so well with so many classes, to me at least it's hard to not have a Hexer for any type of build.

I really like that so many more classes have different binds, making DH based parties a lot less of a hassle. Gunner seems very strong right off the bat, but the War Magus seems like it won't get that good until probably level 30 when you have some heals and at least Cursecut.

Overall a lot of fun.

I tried the War Magus to start, but didn't like him. He'll probably be a good one to build up later in the game when I can plow through dozens of levels pretty quick with a high level supporting party. For now I've stuck with Protector, Ronin, Medic, Gunner, and Survivalist. Pretty much what I used at the end of the first game, with a Gunner instead of an Alchemist - I miss the Warp spell, though.

My Ronin is already hitting for double what my Protector dishes out with normal attacks, and my Protector already has nearly double the HP of the other people.

I picked this up at Gamecrazy yesterday along with Space Invaders Extreme. The only game I've played on my DS in 6 months is Advance Wars Days of Ruin. I have such a huge DS backlog it is frightening. But I suppose I should crack open the first EO and get that done one of these days...

Good luck! It'll take a while, but definitely play EO1 first if you plan on playing it at all. EO2 has lots of interface improvements which would make the first rather tough to deal with afterwards.

I've made it through the majority of 10F now, party at level 36(?). Just need to go waste some time trying to complete a few quests before I take on the rather frightening 2nd stratum boss.

The second boss isn't terribly hard, Climax makes him rather easy.

My party currently is B/D/W/G/H, I love this party a lot. The War Magus/Hexer combo provides infinitely sustainable parties, Revenge is retarded good damage, the Gunner is a ranged Ronin, Beast I'm not completely sold on but it's a fine front liner (mainly took Fetch to not have to force myself to make a farming party). The Dark Hunter is rather nice, I haven't found a FOE I couldn't hit with Ricochet/Revenge then kill with Climax, and it destroyed that second boss.

I love the party possibilities of this game, lots of different builds should work well.

Nah, not unless you plan on playing it first. The second one has some significant interface improvements that would make it very difficult to enjoy the original afterwards.

got it and found it boring. Now i love it once again, bad thing is im only on the 3rd floor and cant get past the FOES ....another bad thing is FFT2 is suckin up all of my time. (though im getting bored with FFT2) i might jump back to this game

great game just takes a while to fall in love with... one major problem is i would rather have Letters inside the blocks

T for Take
M for mine
C for chop

so i can remember what resource is at each spot

[quote name='botticus']Nah, not unless you plan on playing it first. The second one has some significant interface improvements that would make it very difficult to enjoy the original afterwards.[/quote]

thanks. I think I'll just play the one I have

[quote name='slidecage']
great game just takes a while to fall in love with... one major problem is i would rather have Letters inside the blocks

T for Take
M for mine
C for chop

so i can remember what resource is at each spot[/quote]

Yeah, that's a problem, so I just make notes of each spot. Works decently well.

Well, they did provide three different colors for the gather spots now. I still label them, but you could just try to remember which is which.

And slidecage, you're generally well-advised to avoid the FOEs however possible on the first few floors. Particularly the one that chases you around on 3F. Not a chance of beating that one for some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for getting me interested in this game guys. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm just about to defeat the first boss, still grinding

This game reminds me of the old computer RPGs I use to play as a kid. I remember drawing a map on a piece of graphing paper my dad got me from work. The only thing missing is the click-click sound of the keyboard. I really hope to see more games like this for the DS.

Bump, since I finally started this game last night.

Died twice within 5 minutes of starting, and there was nothing I could do about it
icon_up.gif

I'm rolling with Protector, Land, Medic, Alchemist, Gunner.
I'm already regretting Medic, but I'll stick with it for now.

I also have a secondary team thats 4 survivalists and then the Medic from the primary team. I use them to clean up the resources after I've mapped out a floor and made sure everything is kosher :)

I'm glad Atlus is still looking out for people who like their games to be nightmarishly punishing.

The medic isnt being swapped out to get some extra leveling in, thats just an unintended side effect. I just figure I dont need more than one. She is just there to support the 4 survivalists when I go on a resource raid.

I've got a harem of mostly blonde women working for team Top Tier.

I'm pretty sure I only picked up a gunner because she has that ADORABLE Jack Frost hat :|

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eldergamer']bump so I can find this later. I think I'll need help.[/QUOTE]

You can subscribe to the thread instead under thread tools.

[quote name='eldergamer']bumping it was the first idea that came to mind. my fault.[/QUOTE]

No harm in bumping it. People might be interested in EO2 again since EO3 was just announced as well.

I can't believe it's been more then a year already since I've played this. I remember being completely addicted to it when I first got it. I beat the final stratum boss but never bothered with all the extra stuff after him. Looking forward to EO3!

I made it up to level 8 the other night. Thinking I need to switch out one of my attackers for the hexer (?) or someone with more elemental attacks. The only one capable of that now is my gunner, and semi my ronin. I just hate the idea of draging a level one character around who does nothing but die every other battle while he catches up to the rest of our level 20 people.

[quote name='eldergamer']I made it up to level 8 the other night. Thinking I need to switch out one of my attackers for the hexer (?) or someone with more elemental attacks. The only one capable of that now is my gunner, and semi my ronin. I just hate the idea of draging a level one character around who does nothing but die every other battle while he catches up to the rest of our level 20 people.[/QUOTE]

You could always just make a secondary crew of characters that you don't currently have and level them all up to a close enough level to your main group. Who knows, you may find a character in the secondary group that you like more than someone in your main group.

[quote name='eldergamer']But that'd be like playing two simultaneous games at once, making this already long game twice as long.[/QUOTE]

You'd only do that until you caught up to your primary group. If you are replacing a member it is going to take you a bit anyway. Don't forget you have access to gear you did not have at the beginning of the game that you can put on your secondary group, so it should go a lot faster.

[quote name='eldergamer']I made it up to level 8 the other night. Thinking I need to switch out one of my attackers for the hexer (?) or someone with more elemental attacks. The only one capable of that now is my gunner, and semi my ronin. I just hate the idea of draging a level one character around who does nothing but die every other battle while he catches up to the rest of our level 20 people.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=43884108

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/game/943642.html

Use those FAQ's to help you out some. What's your team? Those FAQ's can help you figure out what skills to invest in and what classes team well with each other.

You're right, that stratum seems to have a few enemies that need elemental attacks to beat. I used Ice, since trigourds and the boss on that floor are weak to ice, but I didn't put too many points into the ice attacks. Trigourd's especially are a bitch on that floor because they're only weak to a few attack types. it wasn't until I got my dark hunter's climax skill maxed out that I started killing those things. It's best to avoid those FOE's when possible, but I think the trigourd is important to fight and beat for the item cursed bone. once you sell that item you can buy a staff that adds 50 tp when it's equipped. it really helps out healers/war magus/hexers who use up a lot of tp with their stronger moves but don't start out with much tp early on. You can bring a healer (or another character) with the scavenge skill maxed out to increase the chance of getting item drops. it's good for FOE/Boss battles where you're looking for a particular item drop.

If you need some cash, kill the boss on the 5th floor while it's poisoned. your best bet to poison it will be with a hexer, put some luck beads on her to help your chances of the poison actually hitting the boss. if it dies while poisoned, it might drop an item that you can sell for $30,000. The hexer's poison skill is also awesome for the floors that you're currently on, as it basically kills all the normal enemies in one turn, and never misses normal enemies unless the enemies immune to poison. Just make sure your hexer has a lot of TP, which is why killing one of those trigourds and getting a cursed bone is a good idea since it unlocks that staff. If you have a War Magus in your party, you can transfer TP from the War Magus to your Hexer. The War Magus and Hexer's skills also supposedly complement one another. I only use a Hexer, so I don't know how well they work together, but I did read it in that FAQ.

The boss on the 2nd stratum also drops an item you can sell for $30,000 but it needs to be beaten with a one hit ko skill like climax. Climax is great, it basically makes a lot of boss/foe fights half as hard because once Climax is maxed out with skill points it kills any enemy that has less than 55% hp, except for enemies that are resistant to one hit KO's. I recommend a dark hunter just for this skill alone, but it's other skills are pretty good too. It's head and arm binds can stifle enemy attacks, and the skill ecstasy can do great damage to fully bound enemies. force skill dominate completely binds enemies, so that combined with ecstasy can do some nice damage, in addition to stifling an enemies strongest attacks.

one final tidbit, the protector's antifire skill will protect you pretty well against the boss on the 2nd stratum. if you max that skill out, it'll absorb fire damage. The battle was pretty easy for me since i had antifire maxed out, and it's fire attacks were healing my party instead of doing damage. I don't think this skill is going to get much use on the 3rd stratum that I'm currently in, but against the boss it was a lifesaver.

I currently have the Axe guy (german name) a Ronin, a Gunner, a Beast, and a War Mage. I got rid of my protectofr for the beast. Everyone's at about level 22 except for the beast who's at 5 or so. I made a hexer too but dropped him early on.

I'm sorta stuck at that level 10 boss now. My party are all about level 24-27 (except for the beast who is about 14) and the level 10 boss just seemed to own me. The only one with any binds seems to be my ronin and at level 10 those only have a 50% chance of working? So it seems like I need 7 or 8 characters all at high levels and swap certain ones out for boss/FOE fights. ugh....

bread's done
Back