Okami on 80 gig PS3 glitch?

Mr Durand Pierre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I just bought an 80 gig PS3 and I wanted to see how Okami looked upscaled in it's full glory, and for the most part it looks great, HOWEVER, there is one notable graphics glitch I found. The game is pillerboxed (black bars on the sides), and along the border of the left black bar there is a white sliver that flickers in and out. First I thought it was just my imagination, but upon further inspection it is definitely there and the right border has no such issues. This worried me, so I tested other PS2 games on the system and haven't noticed this problem elsewhere. It's not too terrible and I can definitely live with it, but has anyone else seen this? I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with my new PS3 and cables.

Oh, and I'm using HDMI cables if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
nope, I got the same thing........ I guess there's a problem with the BC software........ I just whipped out my PS2 and played it

Fair enough. I'm not sure what answer I was hoping for. On the one hand, I was hoping Okami would look perfect on the PS3, yet on the other hand, I didn't want there to be anything wrong with my new 80 gig PS3 as waiting to exchange that thing would be a major hassle and I'd lose all my save data in that time.

Now I can rest assured that everyone has that problem. I was concerned because Sony's official BC list said there were no major problems for that title. I guess it's not really a major problem, just a minor one.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']nope, I got the same thing........ I guess there's a problem with the BC software........ I just whipped out my PS2 and played it[/QUOTE]

I realized I could get around this problem by setting the PS3 to full screen (so everything is stretched) and then setting my TV to 4:3. Strangely, when I do this, the black pillars on the side are a bit wider than when I let the PS3 scale Okami itself (each border is an extra half inch on my 20inch set), and thus, less of the image is visible. I suppose this is how the game would look if played on my PS2 anyway, since I have to set my TV to 4:3 for all PS2 games that don't have widescreen support (including Okami), so playing it on the PS3 doesn't hurt exactly, but it doesn't help either.

I think this kind of stuff is common for PS2 games. Grandia 3 showed some weird, split second blocks of noise during cutscenes. But it only happened twice and hardly hindered the experience. And I see minor tearing from time time in various PS2 games too.

bread's done
Back