Okami scores 39/40 in the latest Famitsu reviews!

Kain Vincent

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
I was looking at Famitsu latest scores (on the week of April 9-15) and they rated Okami 39 out of 40.

Here are all the scores (via www.the-magicbox.com):

PlayStation 2
- Okami (Capcom): 10, 10, 10, 9 - (39/40)
- Spectral vs. Generation (Idea Factory): 6, 6, 5, 5 - (22/40)
- Ougon Kishi Garo (Bandai): 6, 6, 6, 5 - (23/40)
- Rozen Maiden: Duell Walzer (Taito): 7, 5, 6, 5 - (23/40)

Xbox 360
- Ninety-Nine Nights (Microsoft): 8, 8, 8, 7 - (31/40)

PSP
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai (Bandai): 8, 7, 6, 7 - (28/40)

Nintendo DS
- Tsubasa Chronicle Vol. 2 (Arika): 6, 6, 6, 7 - (25/40)
- Soroeru Puzzle Douwa Oukoku (Success): 7, 6, 6, 6 - (25/40)
- Zoo Tycoon: Doubutsuen o Tsukurou! (Sega): 6, 6, 5, 7 - (24/40)

GBA
- Mother 3 (Nintendo): 10, 8, 8, 9 - (35/40)

On a different note, nice to see Mother 3 get a great score as well! :applause:

Glad to hear Okami did so well but that was kinda expected... I'm still hoping for a DS version but whatever.:) Lets just hope it doesn't get overlooked like nearly all of Clover Studio's great games (not the bad ones though, they can rot)...

Great score for Mother 3 too but looks like N3 isn't as great it people were hoping it to be.

[quote name='Kendal']I have been waiting for this game. Next month right? Or October?[/quote]

Gamespot says September. Grr, too long.

Wow, this has been the game I've been looking forward to most ever since E3 last year. It even trumped Zelda on my most anticipated list. September can't come soon enough.

other games that got 39/40
(SFC) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
(SAT) Virtua Fighter 2
(PS1) Ridge Racer Revolution
(N64) Super Mario 64
(PS1) Tekken 3
(SDC) Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram
(PS2) Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
(PS2) Final Fantasy X
(GCN) Biohazard
(PS2) Dragon Quest VIII
(PS2) Gran Turismo 4
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
(PS2) Kingdom Hearts II
(360) Dead of Alive 4

Good to hear that it plays as good as it looks. I'm eagerly awaiting okami. Lets hope for a revolution sequel that will flesh out the gameplay ideas even further!

And Kind of surprising to hear Mother 3 getting rated lower than Okami. I thought Japan was crazy about the mother/earthbound series..

I've had this game preordered since October of last year when it was scheduled for release in Feb. I don't know if I can hold out until Sept...

[quote name='Strell']Awesome.

Now it can come to America and sell 43 copies.[/QUOTE]

44. i'm buying two.

[quote name='depascal22']Make it 45 because I'll be doing the same.[/QUOTE]

Wait, you guys are only buying two? We were counting on everyone here buying at least 3 each...so, ah, I guess we're down to 41.

man thats a shame that we have to wait so long. this was my favorite game i played at e3 (other than ncaa football, which was nothing new).

i watched teh 1up podcast about this a few weeks back and it looks like it continues to get better with more development time.

I've been excited about Okami since its' announcement awhile ago. Also, if you are seriousely buying multiple copies so the sales go up, you're stupid.

[quote name='rabbitt']I've been excited about Okami since its' announcement awhile ago. Also, if you are seriousely buying multiple copies so the sales go up, you're stupid.[/QUOTE]

and if you seriously think we're serious...

;)

[quote name='Apossum']and if you seriously think we're serious...

;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I've read about groups of people dedicated to such things. Beyond Good and Evil, for example. In a letter to Nintendo Power years ago, somebody stated that they were trying to get word out about BG&E by buying multiple copies of the game. I thought it was rediculous, and hoped no CAG would go so low.

[quote name='rabbitt']Oh, I've read about groups of people dedicated to such things. Beyond Good and Evil, for example. In a letter to Nintendo Power years ago, somebody stated that they were trying to get word out about BG&E by buying multiple copies of the game. I thought it was rediculous, and hoped no CAG would go so low.[/QUOTE]

ha! that is pretty odd.

anyway, if it weren't for my school's bandwidth cap, I'd have a review/preview for y'all...oh well, i'll have it next week instead. (disclaimer: i already have it pre-ordered and paid and don't know japanese!)

i played the OPM demo i gotta tell it looks like one sick masterpiece ,everything is so new innovative and ye so fun ,interesting evertyhing that makes an almost perfect game 39/40. sick !!!!!!!1 can't wait.

just started the game...I'll review it (as well as I can without knowing Japanese) in a few weeks. this will definitely be the first fully japanese game I play through.

[quote name='Apossum']just started the game...I'll review it (as well as I can without knowing Japanese) in a few weeks. this will definitely be the first fully japanese game I play through.[/QUOTE]

Apossum - the only CAG more excited about Okami than I am.

i considered becoming a furry so I could cosplay as Amaterasu..OH fuck DID I TYPE THAT OUT LOUD?

anyway, take this with a boulder of salt-- a gamefaqs poster said 40 hours to complete.... I'm guessing he doesn't know japanese which inhibited him at a few points. He also went on to say 12-15 to complete if you know what you're doing...with that in mind, I'm arbitrarily guessing it's around 20-25 hours, which is just right imo, as long as there isn't some annoying shit to do, like pointless item collecting.

[quote name='Apossum']i considered becoming a furry so I could cosplay as Amaterasu..OH fuck DID I TYPE THAT OUT LOUD?

anyway, take this with a boulder of salt-- a gamefaqs poster said 40 hours to complete.... I'm guessing he doesn't know japanese which inhibited him at a few points. He also went on to say 12-15 to complete if you know what you're doing...with that in mind, I'm arbitrarily guessing it's around 20-25 hours, which is just right imo, as long as there isn't some annoying shit to do, like pointless item collecting.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That's about the perfect length for a game like this.

I've only had a chance to play twice (once for 3 hours.)

adjectives and hyperbole that come to mind:

--immersive...nah...trance inducing (remember the first time you played Katamari? like that)

--extremely interactive (it's easy to kill a ton of time with the brush system)

--like playing a japanese water color painting, only more colorful and with a goofy sense of humor

--amazing atmosphere. style wise, it's hard to think of a game that is so aesthetically pleasing. clover really out did themselves.

--VERY tight controls

--Simple combat system -- uses one button to attack plus a jump button and the ability to use brush strokes to slice enemies or stun them.

--there's an upgrade system that I have yet to decipher, and I think you can get new moves and weapons later on. there's also a lot of subscreens and stuff in the options-- the ones I can understand are the bestiary, brush hints, breath level, and paint level.

--you collect treats to give to other animals, which gives you experience points.
later on, you can also paint gardens for them and make trees bloom when you circle them.

--good music

--a very strong ancient shinto presence. I assume it's supposed to take place in Yayoi/Jomon times

The Bad:

--despite all these awesome things, it may be too exotic for a lot of american players-- it doesn't seem to make any attempt to include anything western (not that it needs to at all-- just an observation)

--some occasional pop-in that only I will notice because I've played too many video games. not that it looked bad or anything, in fact it's not even worth mentioning.

--the garbled voices are cool, but I don't know how i'll feel about them 20 hours into the game.

The Wrong:

--Game informer's preview makes it sound like you read a novel through out the course of the game. the intro is about 5 minutes or less (not 15-20 minutes) you chat with NPCs and get directions from your guide, but there's no more text than any rpg.

Any idea of how long the game is? If its something substantial, I guess it's time to finally go get a PS2 again. If it's sub 8 hours, I think I might be able to wait until the PS3 has something to make me buy it.

kinda:

[quote name='Apossum']

anyway, take this with a boulder of salt-- a gamefaqs poster said 40 hours to complete.... I'm guessing he doesn't know japanese which inhibited him at a few points. He also went on to say 12-15 to complete if you know what you're doing...with that in mind, I'm arbitrarily guessing it's around 20-25 hours, which is just right imo, as long as there isn't some annoying shit to do, like pointless item collecting.[/QUOTE]

i think it'll be longer than 8 hours.

here's another take by a guy who is 24 hours in:

I'm around 24 hours in and about to finish (got one more area to do before end-game); I haven't done a whole load of stuff (I've bought next to nothing, haven't fed all the sodding animals and done all the fishing etc. etc.) but I don't really care about that all that much.

Okami is easy. Incredibly easy. The only times I've been stuck are because my rubbish Japanese has failed me, and then I just have to check the quest status screen and go through things with a dictionary. At the beginning, as duckroll's said, it's almost insultingly hand-holdy; you get tutorials and hints for EVERYTHING, and it zaps most of the challenge from the game. Later on, you don't get hints, but it's still painfully obvious what you have to do; the dungeons aren't fiendishly designed or anything, and bosses follow the tried-and-true beat-them-using-your-newest-skill tactic ad nauseam.

Fighting in general is button-mashing with a few brush skills added in; I've never died in battle, and I'm at games I've only had to use healing items twice as well.

Plus one of the brush skills has terrible recognition (the water brush skill for making fountains) - with that said, it's generally a lot more forgiving than I was expecting (it's more forgiving than the demo, in my opinion).

Buuuuuut despite me not thinking this is GOTY, it's still pretty good. It looks beautiful, it plays well (I had no troubles with the controls save some brush stroke stuff) and there's tons of optional anal find-every-one-of-these-for-uninteresting-benefits sidequests (I have nothing against fun, extra-dungeon type sidequests which benefit the plot, but there isn't any of that in Okami - it's all "kill the monsters in a certain way to get generally useless upgrades"). Plot-wise, it's more of a fun mythology-inspired adventure than anything particularly epic; what little of the writing I understand seems okay, if a little overly wordy, but the story itself is pretty superfluous (There are evil beasts. You must fight them for *insert reason here*. Go to this location to do so!)

I haven't finished it yet so I can't give an overall opinion, but there's just something that hasn't quite clicked with me about Okami yet despite it sucking up playtime; I've played loads, but now I'm mostly playing to finish it rather than to keep playing it, if you get what I mean. I think it's because it's so easy but yet pretty damn long; it doesn't feel like the game has increased in complexity as it progressed for some reason. Perhaps I'm just talking out of my arse, but I know what I mean...I think...

He's right-- it is incredibly easy so far..sounds like it doesn't get much harder.

[quote name='Apossum']here's another take by a guy who is 24 hours in:

He's right-- it is incredibly easy so far..sounds like it doesn't get much harder.[/QUOTE]

Expect a new Hard mode to be released for the US version, then a "Shinto Godly" difficulty level for the EU release, that will be then available for those in the States when it is re-released as a GHs. And some sort of Okami-Ultra Mix for the Japanese market in a few months.

PERFECT!

[quote name='Strell']How the hell this didn't appear on A) the GC, B) the DS, and/or C) The Wii, I'll never know.[/QUOTE]

Just because nothing's been said as of now doesn't mean it will never be ported. I think Clover will move it over to the Wii, or if it's successful, include it in the next iteration.

[quote name='Strell']How the hell this didn't appear on A) the GC, B) the DS, and/or C) The Wii, I'll never know.[/QUOTE]

A-- it would sell even less copies...the Cube is dead besides Zelda (at least, in the U.S.)
B-- If they make as many iterations with this game as they did with VJ, I'm sure it'll end up on the DS eventually.
C-- ditto

Expect a new Hard mode to be released for the US version, then a "Shinto Godly" difficulty level for the EU release, that will be then available for those in the States when it is re-released as a GHs. And some sort of Okami-Ultra Mix for the Japanese market in a few months.

I'm passing them all up and waiting on
Super Okami 2 Turbo Champion Edition: Deadly Silence For Matching Service

It fucking better end up on the DS. If your going to make a Viewtiful Joe DS game, you better make a frigging Okami DS game.

Ah yes, but one could argue that putting it on the dead Gamecube would be great because people are starving for a new game on there. I think it could have done quite well, but eh, at least I'll get to play it somewhere.

And as for the difficulty...well, let's hope they include a Hard Mode in the US version, hm?

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Ah yes, but one could argue that putting it on the dead Gamecube would be great because people are starving for a new game on there. I think it could have done quite well, but eh, at least I'll get to play it somewhere.

And as for the difficulty...well, let's hope they include a Hard Mode in the US version, hm?[/QUOTE]

i would be all about that hard mode. I assum Clover is kinda aiming this at kids/making it a very leisurely game to play so that you can dig the atmosphere. Considering VJ is controller-smashing hard.

but let's just face it-- the cube is in a persistent vegetative state and the only cure is more Zelda. ;)

[quote name='Apossum']i would be all about that hard mode. I assum Clover is kinda aiming this at kids/making it a very leisurely game to play so that you can dig the atmosphere. Considering VJ is controller-smashing hard.

but let's just face it-- the cube is in a persistent vegetative state and the only cure is more Zelda. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's that controller-smashing difficulty that I liked so much. :)

[quote name='omegaweapon7']great, im looking forward to see this game utterly ruined by cheezy english VA[/QUOTE]

Wrong. They use a made-up gibberish language (think Animal Crossing), so only the text will be different in the US.

so I just picked up the latest Sony Jampack with the Okami demo.

looks like this one resets pretty quickly if you don't play for a little bit. bummer :(

it's a timed demo.

unfortunately, I haven't had a minute to play since my declaration up there^^^

Man, I finally got to try the demo...the game is everything I wanted it to be.

Yes, the timer sucks, but I've played through it a crap ton of times anyways, and I'll probably play more today.

:) :) :) :)

bread's done
Back