Okami Wii $25 at amazon

I played the PS2 version and loved it, but I found the brush controls with the Wii-mote very disappointing. So I don't recommend it for people who have done the PS2 tour.

[quote name='Tom Ato']I played the PS2 version and loved it, but I found the brush controls with the Wii-mote very disappointing. So I don't recommend it for people who have done the PS2 tour.[/quote]

Yeah I can't recommend the butchered Wii version, with the credits ripped out and a cutscene missing.

[quote name='Vegan']Yeah I can't recommend the butchered Wii version, with the credits ripped out and a cutscene missing.[/quote]
As much as I loved the PS2 version, these are not huge losses (certainly not "butchered") for anyone who hasn't played this wonderful game. I did enjoy my PS2 experience more, but that was probably because it was my first time through. If you have a Wii, like adventure games (I cringe to say it, but "Zelda-like") and like things that are beautiful this game is absolutely worth it.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I have a ps2 and a wii. Is there anything to make me want to get this new for the wii over picking up a used copy for ps2?[/quote]

The colors are more vivid, but the oil canvas look from the PS2 version has been toned down. You can also skip walls of text now.

[quote name='fshaia']I like how amazon put it 1 cent under the free shipping level ![/QUOTE]

They just put it at the new MSRP. It had nothing to do with free shipping.

Thanks for the info! I bought it. I'm not interested in buying it (or anything) used. I prefer to give my money to the developers rather than Gamestop or some other crook outfit. So I was happy to get it for $25 new. I hope this version isn't inferior to PS2!

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Thanks for the info! I bought it. I'm not interested in buying it (or anything) used. I prefer to give my money to the developers rather than Gamestop or some other crook outfit. So I was happy to get it for $25 new. I hope this version isn't inferior to PS2![/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okami#Wii_version

It's personal opinion as to which version is better.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I have a ps2 and a wii. Is there anything to make me want to get this new for the wii over picking up a used copy for ps2?[/quote]

3 major things better about the Wii version:

1) widescreen support
2) SLIGHTLY better graphics
3) skippable dialog (lots of rambling, especially in the beginning of the game)

...in any event, this NEEDS to be in every gamers collection--it's one of the best titles of "last gen", right up there with Shadow of the Colossus.

I started this game on the Wii and HATED it - the controls were dreadful. Then I started it on PS2 (upscaled on my PS3), and LOVE it. To my eye the game looks better on PS2 in 4:3 than in widescreen on the Wii - they stretch out the picture for Widescreen on the Wii and it just doesn't look right. Also the colors ont eh Wii are too saturated - its clearly not the effect the original designers were going for. But the real issue was the controls - on the Wii I got stuck on one point where the brush just was not doing what I told it to - I played that section almost 30 times before I got through it, cursing all the while. On the PS2 I got through it in 2 tries. Okami is a great game, but the Wii version is a bad-to-terrible port. My suggestion is, if you have the option, go for the PS2 version - the Wii offers no significant advantages, and the controls are too much of a struggle.

[quote name='Sarre']...they stretch out the picture for Widescreen on the Wii and it just doesn't look right...[/quote]
You either have your Wii or your TV set up incorrectly.

Haahaa. I just happily picked up a pristine copy of this at a pawn shop for $25 last week. (Already had the replacement covers from Capcom, so I was all hooked up!)

[quote name='wii skiier']You either have your Wii or your TV set up incorrectly.[/QUOTE]
I second that. Widescreen looks great on the Wii.

I don't know why people list "skippable dialog" as a plus for the Wii version, PS2 could do it to by pressing start. Obviously you're still watching the long intro at the beginning whether you like it or not but honestly Okami's story is amazing & if you're gonna skip cutscenes because you are impatient then that is just sad. Unless you already played the PS2 version or a New Game, then whatever.

PS2 version is still miles ahead of the Wii version IMO, rather have the canvas look & the beautiful ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1swdaCuam4

Over the loss of the canvas filter & gimmick controls that are easier with a regular controller.

Still waiting for a 360 port. Seeing Okami in gorgeous 1080p would rock my world.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Thanks for the info! I bought it. I'm not interested in buying it (or anything) used. I prefer to give my money to the developers rather than Gamestop or some other crook outfit.[/quote]

You should've payed full price for it if you really want to help the developers out.

[quote name='emperordahc']I second that. Widescreen looks great on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

is it "true" 16x9 where the image takes up the entire widescreen TV, or is it like RE4: Wii Edition where there are small black borders all around...

my plasma TV does not allow me to manually zoom/stretch the image horizontally, and it's one of my pet peeves when games don't utilize the entire screen...

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Thanks for the info! I bought it. I'm not interested in buying it (or anything) used. I prefer to give my money to the developers rather than Gamestop or some other crook outfit. So I was happy to get it for $25 new. I hope this version isn't inferior to PS2![/quote]

I know how you feel about GS, but there are rare times when you can make it work to your advantage.

[quote name='fshaia']I know how you feel about GS, but there are rare times when you can make it work to your advantage.[/quote]

Sure, but if I feel like I'm not getting any of my money to the devs, and it's all going to Gamestop, that may be advantageous to me, but it's not worth it, and in the long run, I'm biting the hand that feeds me anyway.

I'll wait like a fiend for price drops if I have to, but it's pretty rare when I'll buy something used.

[quote name='Vegan']If I didn't buy used, I wouldn't have 95% of the games that I have.[/quote]

Are you really vegan? I am, too. :)

Anyway, about your statement above, I'm not attempting to criticize you or make you feel bad or make you think I'm right and you're wrong; I just want to say that, from my limited perspective, I'm not sure if your logic is correct. If we're talking Gamestop, their used games are usually only $5 less than the prices for their new games, which are usually set at retail (occasionally above!).

If you're not talking Gamestop, but rather Half.com and the like, then I can understand, and it also cuts out the middle man (save the few dollars Half.com takes per sale).

Gamefly is also an option. I find them much less unsavory, because they buy their games outright from the publisher in quantity, then ship them around and sell the extras.

But my chosen method is to simply wait for price drops. I don't know what game you could buy used that I couldn't get new for a comparable price with a bit of patience. I certainly would never intend to spend $60 for each and every game. In that scenario, I concede you are correct; I'd also not own 95% of the games I own.

This is an odd place for such a discussion, but I personally dislike Gamestop and what it does to the industry. Gamefly and Half.com are different beasts entirely in my estimation.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']
This is an odd place for such a discussion, but I personally dislike Gamestop and what it does to the industry. Gamefly and Half.com are different beasts entirely in my estimation.[/QUOTE]

Well, I for one do NOT want the game industry to be able to control post sales. That's an awful lot of power given to an industry; can you imagine a company that controls the product AFTER it's sold it to you. What exactly is the difference between Half.com and Gamestop? In both instances, the user purchased a product and CHOSE to sell it to someone else, who then in turn sells it again.

When I pay money and BUY something, it's mine -- I may not own the copyright or trademark of the product but I own THE product and as such, it's my right to do with it as I want (that's basic property law). Why would any of us want to give up that right? Why should game companies be allowed to control their product after they've sold it to you. That's in part why I dislike the use of online -- it's another way for publishers to OWN the property AFTER they've sold it to the gamer.

I'm all for the publishers making money, but there's a balance that needs to be struck. The gaming industry, IMHO, affords no special treatment over the movie industry which has dealt with rentals for a long time. If the gaming industry is SO worried about the bottom line, they can innovate -- the burden should be on them to expand their customer base (Wii!) and develop broader games to cater to wider audiences.

Proposed laws to prevent used game sales do nothing but hurt the consumer. It takes away our right to own the property and do with it as we want, and it harms less affluent gamers.

I understand some people here don't like Gamestop but their mantra, "Power to the Gamers," speaks volumes about why any law trying to ban POST first-sales (aka used game sales) is a doctrine we can live without.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Well, I for one do NOT want the game industry to be able to control post sales. That's an awful lot of power given to an industry; can you imagine a company that controls the product AFTER it's sold it to you. What exactly is the difference between Half.com and Gamestop? In both instances, the user purchased a product and CHOSE to sell it to someone else, who then in turn sells it again.

When I pay money and BUY something, it's mine -- I may not own the copyright or trademark of the product but I own THE product and as such, it's my right to do with it as I want (that's basic property law). Why would any of us want to give up that right? Why should game companies be allowed to control their product after they've sold it to you. That's in part why I dislike the use of online -- it's another way for publishers to OWN the property AFTER they've sold it to the gamer.

I'm all for the publishers making money, but there's a balance that needs to be struck. The gaming industry, IMHO, affords no special treatment over the movie industry which has dealt with rentals for a long time. If the gaming industry is SO worried about the bottom line, they can innovate -- the burden should be on them to expand their customer base (Wii!) and develop broader games to cater to wider audiences.

Proposed laws to prevent used game sales do nothing but hurt the consumer. It takes away our right to own the property and do with it as we want, and it harms less affluent gamers.

I understand some people here don't like Gamestop but their mantra, "Power to the Gamers," speaks volumes about why any law trying to ban POST first-sales (aka used game sales) is a doctrine we can live without.[/quote]

No, I totally agree with you, actually; I just don't think Gamestop is a very good cause to champion. Don't kid yourself into thinking they give even a small turd about the gamer and the power of the gamer. They like money, and that's how they make money, by posing as being on our side. If you really want to trade your stuff in, sell it on Half.com or go to a local game trader, not Gamestop.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Are you really vegan? I am, too. :)

Anyway, about your statement above, I'm not attempting to criticize you or make you feel bad or make you think I'm right and you're wrong; I just want to say that, from my limited perspective, I'm not sure if your logic is correct. If we're talking Gamestop, their used games are usually only $5 less than the prices for their new games, which are usually set at retail (occasionally above!)[/quote]

Sure am.

Anyway, I'm not talking about recently-released games where the used copy is only $5 less. In that case it's worth the extra Lincoln for a nice new copy anyway.

In true cheap-ass fashion, I usually go straight to the $15 and under used game bin and never even look at the used games along the wall. A lot of those games aren't even in print anymore (as I'm sure you're aware of the short print duration of video games).

My buying practices may change as I play through my backlog of these older games and catch up to sitting around waiting for new releases, but I don't know... I can't see myself paying $60 for a video game. Ever. I sometimes buy new $35 DS games that I just can't wait for, and I cringe even at that.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']No, I totally agree with you, actually; I just don't think Gamestop is a very good cause to champion. Don't kid yourself into thinking they give even a small turd about the gamer and the power of the gamer. They like money, and that's how they make money, by posing as being on our side. If you really want to trade your stuff in, sell it on Half.com or go to a local game trader, not Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I suppose -- I understand some hate Gamestop (I'm not a big fan of their practices, but I'm not a hater, either). I'm of course not fooled by their slogan, but whichever side of the fence you're on, Gamestop represents a force in the industry, and IMHO one that is important. Sure, if games do eventually go strictly to online downloads, then Gamestop's future might be done for, but until then, it remains an alternative place for gamers to get their hands on used titles.

I for one like Gamestop for stocking older games I have a hard time finding elsewhere. Half.com and Ebay are great places to find used titles, but prices aren't always cheaper and sometimes, it takes an awful lot of time to find the game you're looking for in the condition you want it.

[quote name='Vegan']
In true cheap-ass fashion, I usually go straight to the $15 and under used game bin and never even look at the used games along the wall. A lot of those games aren't even in print anymore (as I'm sure you're aware of the short print duration of video games).

My buying practices may change as I play through my backlog of these older games and catch up to sitting around waiting for new releases, but I don't know... I can't see myself paying $60 for a video game. Ever. I sometimes buy new $35 DS games that I just can't wait for, and I cringe even at that.[/quote]

Yeah, $40 and $35 for a DS game seems nuts to me.

By scoping the ads and things, though, you can get new stuff for $10 and $15 off. I've bought a LOT of new games lately... like a lot... of stuff that has just been released, and I haven't paid full price for a single one of them.

[quote name='romeogbs19']I for one like Gamestop for stocking older games I have a hard time finding elsewhere.[/quote]

I usually don't have too much trouble finding out of print stuff, either. Half.com is great. I can usually get stuff factory sealed (so I can convince myself it's still "new"). I'm not sure what in particular you've been looking for, but I've never had much trouble finding something, somewhere. For out of print stuff, anything goes, really, but I still have never had to resort to Gamestop in however many years, although I do still sometimes sell games I'm finished with on Half.com.

[quote name='romeogbs19']...but whichever side of the fence you're on, Gamestop represents a force in the industry, and IMHO one that is important.[/quote]

I think they're crooks, cheat customers, and gimp the industry. :) I have a hard time seeing the good side. It's also impossible to stop them unless publishers want to crack down, and that would be difficult as well.

But think about it. If there were no used game market, I wonder what we'd be paying for games? $50? $40? That could be the cap instead of $60. But then again, how could we enforce that? I get just as ticked at publishers who talk about how in-game advertising is the wave of the future. Fine, put the ads in there, but then CHARGE LESS FOR THE GAME! I don't understand their mentality.

All this corporate crap going on, and when does the consumer ever benefit? It really irks me, especially when I try so hard to get as much of my money as I can to the developers (though I do always look for deals and gift cards and things--they're better than price drops; I get the game nearer its release date, and that's when the sales numbers count the most when it's something I want to support).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am going to wait until black friday
smile.gif

I played and beat the ps2 version first and the Wii afterward. The Wii version is clearly the superior one. The brush control in the Ps2 version is slow and tedious, whereas the Wii version is fun and fast. The skippable dialogs is also a huge plus. I hated how I was forced to scroll through Ps2's tons of inane text dialogs. And believe me, the amount of text dialogs are absolutely tremendous.

I also like Wii's visuals better. Ps2's might be more artistically in tune with the developer's original intentions, but it just looks kinda washed out and distant compared to Wii's more clear and vibrant look.

And a hint for the wii version, hold down the Z button to draw a perfect straight line.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']I feel terrible for not supporting the game earlier, but I'm going to wait until it drops to $20.[/quote]

I don't suppose there's any harm in waiting now that Clover has been disbanded.

[quote name='Vegan']I don't suppose there's any harm in waiting now that Clover has been disbanded.[/quote]

It's never too late for a show of support! Even though it would take a miracle to resurrect them, and apparently all the critical success in the world didn't help, they're still minimizing losses, so to speak.

I'm sad that I didn't support it when it was first released, too. :( I learned my lesson and bought No More Heroes at full price. But.... then it dropped to $29.99 not long after. Sigh. It's so hard to live in both worlds, always balancing my cheapness with my wish to support. Someday, when I make decent money, I will probably buy a lot more games early, at full price, and won't scrounge around so much for deals. Seems almost sacrilegious to say that!

bread's done
Back