Okami Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='zewone']Isn't Cassamammsmassa a Nintendo fanboy though?[/quote]

Generally, yes, but you can tell when he's waxing Nintendo's (or, in this case, Capcom's) knob and when he's being forthright, and I think this case is the latter. And he wasn't just saying the brush controls work, he said they were much easier to use than the PS2.

I dunno. Just seems silly to pass judgment before any of us have played it.

[quote name='willardhaven']You guys are honestly surprised by the Wii motion controls sucking?

Too bad Clover is gone, they made some quality games.[/quote]
The big names of Clover quit and formed Seeds Inc, which recently merged with another company and became Platinum Games. So they're not actually gone, just left Capcom.

They still haven't announced a new project, though.

I'm glad they sort of exist, VJ and Okami are awesome...

The only thing in the the Wii version I envy is the cutscene-skipping ability.

Video games need less cutscenes.

[quote name='willardhaven']The only thing in the the Wii version I envy is the cutscene-skipping ability.

Video games need less cutscenes.[/quote]
It's amazing to me that it's been ten years since Half-Life's success began, and Valve are still almost the only ones making story-driven games that don't rely on cutscenes (props to the Bioshock guys). Nobody else seems to have figured out that people prefer no cutscenes.

I mean, imagine how much worse Portal would be if cutscenes replaced the dialog. Sure, it's still be good, but it wouldn't be great.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a stack of JRPGs to burn.

[quote name='zewone']No, his past actions and opinions do.[/quote]

Past actions like calling Brawl "meh" and dissing Mario Kart Wii every chance he gets?

Hmmm....

I personally dont like Matt. He is a graphics whore and frequently complains about online stuff. I think he said once that Zelda wouldnt be epic without voice acting.

He is vocal enough in his criticisms that I wouldnt quite go so far as to call him a fanboy.

I listened to enough about Matt to know that he isn't a fanboy. I like him because he seems to be on point with my tastes. He bitches about online stuff, headset stuff, and I agree that Zelda needs voice acting. For the most part he is right on.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I personally dont like Matt. He is a graphics whore and frequently complains about online stuff. I think he said once that Zelda wouldnt be epic without voice acting.

He is vocal enough in his criticisms that I wouldnt quite go so far as to call him a fanboy.[/quote]

[quote name='Zen Davis']I listened to enough about Matt to know that he isn't a fanboy. I like him because he seems to be on point with my tastes. He bitches about online stuff, headset stuff, and I agree that Zelda needs voice acting. For the most part he is right on.[/quote]

Agreed. I don't like the guy that much either, but he does tell it like it is, despite the fact that he gets paid to cover Nintendo. He's probably been the single most vocal critic of Nintendo's policy on friend codes, its overcautious and poorly implemented approach to online play, the lack of a hard drive for the Wii, and especially the absence of voice support for Wii (they even renamed the IGN Nintendo podcast "Nintendo Voice Chat" to mock the company's stance on the issue).

I trusted him when he singlehandedly campaigned for Zack & Wiki, and he was right about that. I have no reason to believe he's being facetious in his strong recommendation of Okami, controls included.

So no, I DEFINITELY wouldn't call him a fanboy.

I'm picking it up.

I don't mind if the motion controls are so so, it beats having to hook up my dusty ass PS2 to play that version which doesn't do 16:9 and would look like utter shit on my HDTV.

There's something about the PS2 that I really hate now, I can't put my finger on it. I just love playing games on the Wii, even if they are ports it's a very appealing system to turn on. This goes for the 360 as well, and I will no doubt go back to some PS2 games once I get my PS3.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']EGM gave it an A, B+, A[/quote]
Yeah, but they all said the controls were better on the PS2.

I'll get this 'cause me and my girlfriend have been wanting something Zelda-esque, but I may end up trading it on Goozex and using the points for the PS2 version.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I personally dont like Matt. He is a graphics whore and frequently complains about online stuff. I think he said once that Zelda wouldnt be epic without voice acting.

He is vocal enough in his criticisms that I wouldnt quite go so far as to call him a fanboy.[/QUOTE]

Matt has one of the toughest jobs in the game industry. Because of IGN's organizational structure, he is one of the very few recognizeable figures, and on top of that, he's a Nintendo-specific figure. That makes him, for better or worse, something of an icon among Nintendo fanboys, and thus he is often under the microscope in ways that others aren't. How many people complain about specific 1up or GameSpot Wii reviewers? Heck, does anyone even know who they are? On the other hand, get Nintendo fans together and ask about "Matt from IGN Wii" and they go nuts one way or another.

My take on Matt is that he is a passionate veteran game journalist with tastes and opinions just like any other human being who is a game journalist. On one hand, he makes no secret of his passion for Nintendo products -- otherwise he wouldn't be working at IGN Wii -- but makes, I believe, an earnest attempt to put himself in the shoes of his clients; that is, the fans who visit the site.

"The best game you've never played, now ennui." -Capcom

Suicide, Capcom! Suicide! It's like you WANT this game to fail!

[quote name='Tybee']Don't throw in the towel on this just quite yet. The guys on IGN's Nintendo podcast were waxing rhapsodic about the game today. Cassamassina said he's put in like 10+ hours or so on the final build and that it plays great, including drawing with the brush (and yes, he played the PS2 version). Bozon was agreeing. So I'm still holding out hope.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear - the NP review, needless to say, had me regretting selling my (still sealed) PS2 version. I figured the Wii version might not be any better but couldn't possibly be worse. Maybe I'll go the rental route like Botticus. I just hope Blockbuster or Hollywood deems to get this in - they skipped out on another game that would have been a perfect rental (DQ Swords).

The EGM review(s) of this were extremely positive as well. No major complaints about the controls...certainly nothing that would lead me to believe the game is broken.

[quote name='Tybee']The EGM review(s) of this were extremely positive as well. No major complaints about the controls...certainly nothing that would lead me to believe the game is broken.[/quote]
Their complaints sound similar to Nintendo Power, they just weren't as bothered by them.

[quote name='Callandor']IGN's review is up.[/quote]

Thanks, so hopefully either this or Mario Kart go on sale to make my decision easier

[quote name='ananag112']Why couldn't they do the paper effect on the Wii?[/quote]

According to the ign review, they did do it but it's not the same as the one from ps2...they said it's more fluid motions but it doesn't capture the same feel as the other one did

[quote name='Tybee']The EGM review(s) of this were extremely positive as well. No major complaints about the controls...certainly nothing that would lead me to believe the game is broken.[/quote]

No major complaints about the controls....but I do think I remember them saying they were somewhat weaker than the Ps2's.

I thought EGM's only major complaint was the controls.

The only one who barely knocked the controls (but still did) was the chick who hadn't played the PS2 version.

I'm pretty on the fence about getting the Wii version. Okami is in my top 5 fave games of all-time and I'd like the deffinitive version, but I have my concerns about the Wii one. Supposedly it has:

+480p and widescreen support, but...
-a MUCH milder paper filter, so graphically they average out.

Control-wise the Wii has

+better brush stroke controls, but
-worse controls for everything else (notably combat). So controls average out as well.

The enhancements sound nice, but the things lost sound like they would bother me a lot as they weren't broken before. I think I'll likely stick with the PS2 version, but if I hear enough good things about the Wii version I may purchase it. Decisions, decisions...

Edit: I did like Twilight Princess better on the Wii though, so that makes this decision even harder.

I'm buying the first version that hits $20. I'm hoping it becomes a greatest hit o ps2 but if not I'm sure the WII version can not keep the $40 price for long. hmmmm I might buy the WII version for $30.

Didn't the developers say that there was going to be expanded content? The IGN review says it's the exact same game. So is there any point in getting the Wii version if you have the PS2 one?

I had no problems with brush control/recognition in the ps2 version. I have a feeling the flaky IR on the wii may cause more brush problems than fix for myself. Despite that, i'm still grabbing it.

Alright, I want to get this out of the way before I fuck up my schedule like I do with every other release:

Does this game ship on the 15th? Or does it go on sale on the 15th?

Holy crap. This game totally slipped passed my radar. I never played it on the PS2 so I'm going to have to pick this up.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Alright, I want to get this out of the way before I fuck up my schedule like I do with every other release:

Does this game ship on the 15th? Or does it go on sale on the 15th?[/QUOTE]

Since this isn't a big release, I'm guessing the former.

Either way, it's safer to assume it'll be on sale the 16th no matter what.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I'm buying the first version that hits $20. I'm hoping it becomes a greatest hit o ps2 but if not I'm sure the WII version can not keep the $40 price for long. hmmmm I might buy the WII version for $30.[/QUOTE]

If anything, I'm guessing the PS2 version is only going to increase in price as time goes on.

Can't wait to play the Wii version. The ps2 version is one of my favorite games ever, so I can't wait to experience it again in 16:9 at 480p.

upscaled, it does not look good on the ps3, imho. Maybe I'll post some comparison shots after I get the Wii version.

I still am having a hard time not getting this, even though I have already put so much time and love into the PS2 version. I think I am holding off for now though, but recommending it to everyone. Honestly, I still play the PS2 and it really still looks amazing via component on an LCD. So the only bonus for me would be the 16:9, which I don't even notice the lack of after about five minutes of play.

I'll pick this up the second I can get it for $20, which is what I will be paying for the RE4 port when I find it for that price. Paying $40 for a port is pretty weak, esecially considering this game sold terribly to begin with. I've always wanted to play it, though, so I appreciate them bringing it to the Wii (I never owned a PS2, and haven't gotten a PS3 yet).

[quote name='sj41']I'll pick this up the second I can get it for $20, which is what I will be paying for the RE4 port when I find it for that price. Paying $40 for a port is pretty weak, esecially considering this game sold terribly to begin with. I've always wanted to play it, though, so I appreciate them bringing it to the Wii (I never owned a PS2, and haven't gotten a PS3 yet).[/QUOTE]

Well, Capcom has to pay for their full skin advertising at Gamespot's Wii page somehow. :D

While I will definitely pick this up soon, I think I'll try to burn through some of my old PS2 backlog first. (And maybe, if I'm lucky, there will be a sale for $30 soon!)

[quote name='mephitical']I still am having a hard time not getting this, even though I have already put so much time and love into the PS2 version. I think I am holding off for now though, but recommending it to everyone. Honestly, I still play the PS2 and it really still looks amazing via component on an LCD. So the only bonus for me would be the 16:9, which I don't even notice the lack of after about five minutes of play.[/quote]

Don't forget about progressive scan! ;)

I keep telling myself I'm going to pass on this... I hope I don't cave in between the Okami release and the GTA4 release. If I can make it to GTA4 I'll forget all about Okami...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Alright, I want to get this out of the way before I fuck up my schedule like I do with every other release:

Does this game ship on the 15th? Or does it go on sale on the 15th?[/QUOTE]
I stopped by Toys R Us today and had someone check their inventory system. She said it shipped from their distributor on the 13th and should be arriving tomorrow (16th).

Hmm. Well, I'll be finding out today if they have it at my TRU. I got a $10 off coupon in the mail so...that'll be used on this.

Just got home with my copy. As soon as I finish eating this Whopper, I'll give it a go. This will be the first time Brawl has been out of my Wii since launch.

bread's done
Back