Okami Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

I'm a little aggrivated. I've got both PS2 and Wii versions, and here are my gripes:

The PS2 and PS3 have the option to output optical audio which sounds crisper than regular RCA. The Wii only has the left/right RCA cables so the sound seems a little duller. Maybe it's just me, I dunno.

Second, remember when Ready at Dawn said it was *almost* 16:9 then retracted their statement? Well they were right the first time, there's still little thin black bars down the sides of the screen. Not that big of a deal, but still.

And finally, my biggest gripe of all... the god damn celestial brush... REQUIRES you to be perfectly horizontal with the remote. For example, if you hold your remote at a more natural 45 degree angle (in terms of it's rotation, not like you're pointing up at the screen, but rotating your wrist naturally) and then move side to side with your arm, the brush moves DIAGONALLY. What the fuck! I can do this on the fucking Wii home screen and move side to side. Instead it's like a computer mouse?

*sigh*

I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'll put a bit more time into it but so far I feel like I just got ripped off. And it's not like they can patch the game, either. Thanks, Ready at Dawn.

EDIT: While the forced horizontal orientation of the remote is still a bad call (unless there's some strange reason for it), I just played a bit more and I feel much better. I got used to the mouse-like movement of the brush. I think my only remaining gripe is the reduction of the paper canvas visual effect, but hey, whatever.

[quote name='redgopher']
And finally, my biggest gripe of all... the god damn celestial brush... REQUIRES you to be perfectly horizontal with the remote. For example, if you hold your remote at a more natural 45 degree angle (in terms of it's rotation, not like you're pointing up at the screen, but rotating your wrist naturally) and then move side to side with your arm, the brush moves DIAGONALLY. What the fuck! I can do this on the fucking Wii home screen and move side to side. Instead it's like a computer mouse?[/quote]

That's my only gripe so far, but I think I'll be able to get used to it fairly quickly. It really didn't bother me that much in the first place though.

I don't have the black bars on the side of the screen...

I picked it up out of boredom. I never played the original on PS2, so I can't make any comparisons.

So far I like it though. It's stunningly beautiful and if ever an argument could be made for video games as art, this would be a mighty fine example. Unfortunately, the controls feel like ass. The camera is a little touchy and the waggle is downright stupid. It's just not responsive at all in battle. No matter what force I shake it with, only a fourth of my moves register. It really irritates me because there's no option to change the controls at all.

Hopefully I can adjust. otherwise, no further complaints.

So is the Wii version really worth ten bucks more? I don't want to be struggling with the controls, but people's opinions seem to vary wildly, and I would like to be able to draw with the Wiimote rather than an analog stick. I haven't played either version though.

[quote name='tankexmortis']So is the Wii version really worth ten bucks more? I don't want to be struggling with the controls, but people's opinions seem to vary wildly, and I would like to be able to draw with the Wiimote rather than an analog stick. I haven't played either version though.[/quote]
Well, as much as I want to promote the Wii version (and keep in mind I have not played it), if your only concern is the brush controls and $10 is the deciding factor, get the PS2 version. I never had a single issue with the brush controls. I even got a Wii around the same time and never once thought, "this would control better on the Wii". I'm pretty sure the brush controls were designed around natural movement for the analog sticks.

Has anyone gotten far enough to get another weapon? I remember playing mostly with the beads on the ps2 version. The brush is a bit iffy, but the battles are downright killing me. Like others have said, it's very unresponsive. I'm hoping that improves when you get a chance to change your weapons, otherwise this will be going back to the store.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']That's my only gripe so far, but I think I'll be able to get used to it fairly quickly. It really didn't bother me that much in the first place though.

I don't have the black bars on the side of the screen...[/QUOTE]

re: black bars, your tv may not be set to Just Scan mode, or it may not have that option.

Anyways, I just played a bit more and I feel much better. I got used to the mouse-like movement of the brush. I think my only remaining gripe is the reduction of the paper canvas visual effect, but hey, whatever.

Also a word of advice on battles: make sure you're timing your attacks and not just flailing your remote. I believe Matt Casamassina on IGN said that it requires precision, unlike Twilight Princess' waggle-spamming attacks.

I'm not having any problems in battles, so he's right.. just time your attacks and you'll do fine.

I figured out the battles, finally. The battles do require timing.. slow..slow timing. I popped in the ps2 version to comparison. Everything is much slower, and requires a lot of precision I just don't think the wii remote is capable of. I really loved this game for the ps2, I'm pretty let down.

I'm pulling off godlike rankings in battles fairly easily now.

The trick is to wait until your first hit in the potential combo makes contact, then gesture again. Doing it that way, the response is much better and combat feels much much less frustrating than it did when I first picked up the controller.

You've got to wait for Ammy to complete the attack before you start a new one. Waggle, *enemy hit/miss* waggle, etc. The Wii remote works fine for battles, to add to the overuse of a popular meme, you're doing it wrong. ;)

Yknow the real shame is that I'm hesitant to start playing this.. I'm playing the Halo 3 Legendary pack, CoD4 Variety pack, I just bought both GRAW2 co-op packs and I'm playing Crisis Core. Woo! I mean, awww.

OK, yeah, I'm returning this and sticking with the PS2 version. The blurry as hell visuals, the reduction to almost zero canvas filter, the BLATANT over saturation of color, it's fucking aggrivating. Not to mention the slight flicker of the edges of characters that makes them look like living drawings? GONE. It looks like a game instead of a living painting. The controls are good but the visuals have been raped. *sigh* Oh well. PS2 version still amazing, even upscaled to 1080p and stretched to pseudo-16:9.

[quote name='redgopher']The blurry as hell visuals...[/quote]

This is disappointing to hear. Are you playing on component cables?

I tried to pick this up from Toys R Us today...
Me: Do you have Okami in stock? Can't find it on the shelves.

Clerk: Mmmmm...no that's not in yet. [Walks over to grab a promo card] We will have the new Pokeman for the DS in two days though. [Points at card]

Me: No, no. Not Pokeman. Okami. O-k-a-m-i.

Clerk: Oh. [Puzzled expression] We don't have that.

Me: [Holding in laughter] Could you look it up in your system?

Clerk: No, but I can call it in. [Gets on walkie talkie] Do we have Ogamong?

Me: [Shocked expression] No, it's...

Walkie Talkie: No, we don't have that.

Clerk: Sorry, don't have it.

Me: Thanks anyway.
I might try again with the new $5 off TRU coupon, but as uncheapass as this sounds, $5 isn't much incentive for me to go back there. Especially if the game is blurry.

blurry? I found the ps2 version had more blur, though both versions have solid visuals. Colors are slightly warmer on the wii though it's probably personal preference which is better.
For me, it came down to controls, and once I used the wiimote for brush strokes, going back to analog felt way too clunky.
There is a learning curve, but holding down z while drawing makes it MUCH easier to draw straight

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I think I will keep my sealed ps2 version for now and wait till the wii version is cheaper.
[/quote]
Even better, you should play the PS2 version for now. Because it is amazing.

[quote name='mephitical']Even better, you should play the PS2 version for now. Because it is amazing.[/QUOTE]

QFT. And yes, I am using component.

EDIT
----------------

Here's some comparison shots. Note that the camera view in Okami in each of these images is pretty close to Ammy so imagine the blur if you zoom out.

PS2 version:

Wii version:

i got a new copy of the ps2 and wii version of okami. So the PS2 looks better and have better control? Is there any reason to play it on Wii?

[quote name='62t']i got a new copy of the ps2 and wii version of okami. So the PS2 looks better and have better control? Is there any reason to play it on Wii?[/QUOTE]

The PS2 version looks better. Control is kind of a preference thing. It plays great either way, but the visuals are really important in this title (making them look "better" actually degraded the quality and ruined the feel of the game on the Wii) so unless you don't have a choice, play the PS2 version.

I don't understand how everyone's saying the PS2 version looks better. It's 4:3 and not progressive scan. But more to the point, in the comparison video on GT, the Wii version looks INFINITELY better. Maybe that's not the best barometer.

Those of you saying the PS2 version looks better: did you play both versions back to back, or are you just going by memory?

[quote name='Tybee']I don't understand how everyone's saying the PS2 version looks better. It's 4:3 and not progressive scan. But more to the point, in the comparison video on GT, the Wii version looks INFINITELY better. Maybe that's not the best barometer.

Those of you saying the PS2 version looks better: did you play both versions back to back, or are you just going by memory?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they mean the filter that the Wii couldn't emulate properly.

[quote name='zewone']Perhaps they mean the filter that the Wii couldn't emulate properly.[/quote]

Maybe, but like I said, from what I saw on GameTrailers, the Wii version looked much, much better. Cleaner, sharper, vivid colors. The PS2 version looked like it was filmed through cheesecloth.

Gametrailers comparison is shit. I'm playing it on the PS2 right now and the graphic is no where near as faded or washed out as the video in GT.

[quote name='Slayzz']Gametrailers comparison is shit. I'm playing it on the PS2 right now and the graphic is no where near as faded or washed out as the video in GT.[/quote]

glad to hear that, I think I will most definitely wait on the wii version should I decide to buy it again.

[quote name='Tybee']I don't understand how everyone's saying the PS2 version looks better. It's 4:3 and not progressive scan. But more to the point, in the comparison video on GT, the Wii version looks INFINITELY better. Maybe that's not the best barometer.

Those of you saying the PS2 version looks better: did you play both versions back to back, or are you just going by memory?[/quote]

Progressive scan on crummy mastering is just progressively crummy. Or whatever. All this talk has made me go back and play more non-progressive PS2 Okami on an LCD TV and it looks amazing. Really vibrant, beautiful and amazing. And after just a few seconds of playing you don't notice the bars on the side of the screen. Really. They knew what they were doing in the PS2 version - it really used the hardware capabilities wisely, the way that Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog did in the eight and 16-bit generations.

This game is starting to fucking piss me off. I have to draw circle around blossoms for this old geezer. The problem is, the game rarely recognizes that I have drawn a circle, but if it does recognize it, it thinks I drew for the fucking sun to come out. So far I am not happy with this game as I can't progress any farther!

[quote name='nate88']This game is starting to fucking piss me off. I have to draw circle around blossoms for this old geezer. The problem is, the game rarely recognizes that I have drawn a circle, but if it does recognize it, it thinks I drew for the fucking sun to come out. So far I am not happy with this game as I can't progress any farther![/quote]

That bit is frustrating, it took me a couple tries.. only thing I remember is make sure on the buds with sky in the background that the circle is really small, much smaller than you normally can do, and try your best to have most of it on the bud, rather than around it if that makes any sense.
Good luck.

I remember the EGM reviews mentioning the difficulty of writing/drawing with the wiimote. I'm not sure if I want to get the Wii version now, maybe I'll just continue to play the PS2 version and get it for the wii when is cheaper.

[quote name='zewone']Perhaps they mean the filter that the Wii couldn't emulate properly.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tybee']Those of you saying the PS2 version looks better: did you play both versions back to back, or are you just going by memory?[/QUOTE]

I have something like 3 fucking posts AND a pair of images that CLEARLY show the difference between the two, so when I say that the PS2 version is notably sharper and sticks to Clover's original vision of the game, IT IS NOT OPEN FOR fuckING INTERPRETATION. Kindly read the thread!

[quote name='Tybee']The PS2 version looked like it was filmed through cheesecloth.[/QUOTE]

You don't deserve to play this game if you don't understand what the filter was for. Then again, you can't teach art to stupid people, so go ahead and enjoy the mediocre Wii version. It'll be a fun diversion from Wii Sports. Congratulations on buying your first game for your Wii Sports system. Honey, did you get the milk out of the minivan? Don't ever let me catch you calling yourself a gamer.

I wonder if the people who refuse to give the Wii version a chance are the same people who constantly lamented that the game didn't sell better.

After switching between both versions the PS2 version looks better when played on a PS3. Using the Wiimote for brush strokes has been very hit or miss for me. So far I agree that the PS2 version is superior.

Got my copy today. Can't wait to head back to my dorm to try it out tomorrow. Personally I could care less if the Wiimote controlls suck because I can play it at my dorm instead of only at home (PS2 is at my house and not my dorm), and heck I played through Red Steel so it can't be any worse right.

Oh well I feel good for purchasing this game and I hope other devs get the idea to make games that are different like this.

Those of you saying the PS2 version looks better: did you play both versions back to back, or are you just going by memory?[/quote]

For the people who think PS2 version is too washed out. Go watch the PS2 Okami review video on gametrailers.com then go back and watch the comparison video. The PS2 version looks so much better in the review video than the comparison video.

Didn't GT fucked up the PS3/360 comparison video on Assassins Creed too?

I just beat
Orochi at 13 hours in
and I'm enjoying it so far. The combat...not quite as good as Twilight Princess on Wii.

It looks a lot better than the PS2 version on my LCD, even in 1080p through a PS3. I will note that the filter is the same on Wii as the PS2 version in certain cutscenes. It's really apparent, and that's when colors look washed out again.

Neogaf is reporting that the cover has an IGN logo. so any CAGs that has the Wii version, is it true?

okamign.jpg

[quote name='Slayzz']Neogaf is reporting that the cover has an IGN logo. so any CAGs that has the Wii version, is it true?

[/QUOTE]

Faint, but yes I see it in my cover.

So you people bought Okami for Wii and already had it on the PS2? Great.

If you don't like the "enhancements" go sell your Wii copy on eBay, because no one cares. I never knew Okami would be judged on how it looks better when the game play is still there which is supposed to be what games are all about. Okami getting ported to the Wii gives other people a chance to play the game that never owned a PS2 or overlooked it. At the current rate of Wii sales and the way the audience is trending a lot of Wii owners may have never had a PS2 as it is in their time.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So you people bought Okami for Wii and already had it on the PS2? Great.

If you don't like the "enhancements" go sell your Wii copy on eBay, because no one cares. I never knew Okami would be judged on how it looks better when the game play is still there which is supposed to be what games are all about. Okami getting ported to the Wii gives other people a chance to play the game that never owned a PS2 or overlooked it. At the current rate of Wii sales and the way the audience is trending a lot of Wii owners may have never had a PS2 as it is in their time.[/quote]
And that's great. But releasing a port years after the original game that is noticeably worse is pretty pathetic, so let 'em complain a bit. Not hurting anything.

[quote name='Slayzz']Neogaf is reporting that the cover has an IGN logo. so any CAGs that has the Wii version, is it true?

okamign.jpg
[/quote]

lol

[quote name='tankexmortis']And that's great. But releasing a port years after the original game that is noticeably worse is pretty pathetic, so let 'em complain a bit. Not hurting anything.[/quote]
Thank you. The PS2 version is possibly my favorite game of all-time. I say that somewhat off-the-cuff, but I am hard pressed to think of many games that have come close to matching Okami in any area really, but especially as an artistic endeavor. I do encourage anyone to play it on whatever system they have, but I am allowed to be a little sad that some of the beauty was taken away for the Wii version.

Honestly, I don't see that much of a significant difference between all these comparison screenshots and videos. If it's that small, it doesn't fucking matter. The nit-picking going on is crazy.

Also, that damn flea on your back is like ten times more annoying than Navi could ever hope to be. I can't be the only one who wants to give Ammy some K9 Advantix, can I?

Controls are still spotty, but I don't really care anymore. I just sort of put up with them. The gameplay is good enough that I don't mind having to power thru a few sticky spots here and there. I'm hoping that previously mentioned "bud circling" thing doesn't put a halt to that perspective... I suppose I'll find out soon.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I never knew Okami would be judged on how it looks better when the game play is still there which is supposed to be what games are all about.[/QUOTE]
Have you not been reading? Game play is also a problem.

bread's done
Back