Okay, here's a long shot, but...bakeries...

Tybalt Flux

CAGiversary!
Feedback
43 (100%)
No, I'm not going to complain about them. And yes, this post is going to be both silly and an abuse of the helpfullness of the CAG crowd, BUT-

My parents opened up a restaurant at this mall, with an annex being set aside for a bakery, and the manager-thing of the mall has been bugging them to start baking bread. We've had a rough time finding a baker, and well, I told them I'd internetz-it - worse case scenario is we make some simple bread, but at least we get the manager-thing off our asses.

So, does anyone know anything about bakeries and are willing to offer up some advice for beginners?

I don't like baking but I can do it. Chika's parents owned a bakery in Brooklyn NY or some shit. Where are you located? I could do with some more work and I got 2 pasty girls that need more shit to do.

I don't get why you're just not having the chef in this restaurant cooking the bread for the bakery part of it and then just hiring people to work the counter.

yea my family has a bakery. used to be Alpine Bakery (4 of them) in the Bronx. Moved it to Bronxville for the more upscale clients after my grandfather died. Now the shop is in upstate NY and mostly caters restaurants and country clubs, large facilities, but still has a small cafe.

Well the chefs aren't trained in baking. We figure if we can get some easy recipes (we have the equipment, mixers and ovens and such), we can just bake any sorts of bread. It's honestly a situation where we have to do it for the sake of doing it, and we don't want to sabotage the main restaurant or anything by putting too much effort into the small subsection that'll be the bakery.

We're located in northern SC, just south of Charlotte, so sorry JimmieMac, I doubt you wanna commute ;p. You guys got any recipes or advice you can pass on though?

I dunno, should all be pretty easy to get a baker in, problem is, do you think the bakery part of it is going to be able to sustain 2-3 people that you're going to have to hire? Maybe go with some pies and cakes as well as breads. You gotta find out what's hot in your area. Maybe make sourdough bread bowls and use them in the restaurant for chowder or crab bisque. I got a guy on my staff now that used to cook down there, I;ll see what he says is really good down there and let you know. But if there's like a Panera Bread in town, but go there and ask them what their best seller is, ask your grocery stores bakery department, find out what sells out and focus on making those.

Shit, I just checked the web site, you got 12 in SC. Hit the pavement tomorrow, ask them all the questions you have. Maybe even try and steal one of their people from them, especially if it's a cute girl.

Haha, good advice ;p.

I hadn't thought about Panera- they sound good like a good place to start at. We're hitting a Hispanic demographic so I bet Panera, being a chain and more mainstream, wouldn't be too afraid of us taking away their costumers and might offer up some help. Other smaller bakeries, especially Hispanic ones, might work well for taking away an employee or two, but I'm guessing they'd be a little harder to get help from.

You want to make some really solid spreads too. Sell those separately, in little 1/4 pint to-go containers. Dill butter? Hispanic? Make like a sofrito or even a sofrito cream cheese blend.

But really, see if you can't talk get a girl or two to bounce on corporate Panera for your home town joint. Believe me when I tell you, it'll work. I make hits like this all day kid.

What mall is it? Are you in Rock H---? (I wont say the full name just in case you don't want it known, but you should know what i'm talking about)

I live in Spartanburg, SC...so i'm not that far from you at all, but sadly I don't have any experience baking or I would go help you guys out :(

Would you guys be willing to hire someone in? I have a friend who works for Panera Bread now (near Concord Mills) and if the price is right he might be willing to go work for you guys...

We're not, but we're from the area, it's nice to see CAG's near here though ;p.

As far as wages go, we're probably not going to offer anything too high since we're just starting up the bakery division and it's not high on our priorities list, just to have it there for the sake of getting the mall management off our asses.

I appreciate the help though- if something changes and we really need someone, I'll shoot you a PM about it ;D.

bread's done
Back