Old broken cellphone- would anyone care?

DuelLadyS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So my fiance accidentally cracked the screen on my 4-5 year old LG Fusic yesterday... it sucked, but I've been meaning to upgrade anyway, and I can't say I'm displeased with my new Evo Shift (especially since he insisted on paying for it in full, despite me telling him it was unfair and unnessecary- yes, I do intend to pay him back part of it.)

As for my Fusic- it still works, I can make calls and see everything loading normally on the 1/6th of the screen that still shows a picture. I'd really like to send it off to someone who'd fix the screen and then give it to charity... but I don't know if anyone would bother on such an old phone. Anyone know anybody who'd do such a thing, or do I have to accept it's trash? I'd rather not junk it, it was a nice phone (good reception, super long battery life, etc.)

Considering Best Buy gives $0 trade-in value on it, it probably isn't worth repairing. If it still makes calls, you could toss it into your car's glove box and keep it as an emergency 911 phone.

Why would you pay $100 or more to fix the screen on your phone, and then donate it to charity? That seems so pointless and counter intuitive. The phone is junk, remove the SIM card and toss it in the recycle bin the next time you stop at Best Buy. Just don't toss it in the trash, that lithium battery is hazardous.

[quote name='spmahn']Why would you pay $100 or more to fix the screen on your phone, and then donate it to charity? That seems so pointless and counter intuitive. The phone is junk, remove the SIM card and toss it in the recycle bin the next time you stop at Best Buy. Just don't toss it in the trash, that lithium battery is hazardous.[/QUOTE]
The LG Fusic was a Sprint phone. There wasn't a SIM card in it since it's CDMA-based.

Although you are somewhat right in what the cost of a replacement screen would be. Since the phone is as old as it is, it seems unlikely that there's too many replacement screens around. It would likely cost a decent amount to replace the screen, and the phone really isn't worth much.

[quote name='spmahn']Why would you pay $100 or more to fix the screen on your phone, and then donate it to charity? That seems so pointless and counter intuitive.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't- I just have (well, had) no idea whatsoever how much fixing the screen would cost. I was half-hoping there might be some charity out there that takes broken phones and fixes them (since they'd get a break on their costs), but I knew it was a total crapshoot.

I like the idea of having it as a 911 phone, though- thanks for that, pacifickarma!

There are charities that will take working phones for emergency calls, but I doubt they will take something broken.

[quote name='4tygames']The company recycles the phones and buys phone cards for U.S. soldiers.[/QUOTE]

I thought they were for target practice. , ,

bread's done
Back