Old deal? pelican selector pro $30 at EB

minmao

CAGiversary!
bought this at a EB today. $30+tx
I believe BB still want $100 for it. But this might be an old deal, since I havent seen one in a EB or GS for a long time.

but frankly, not a great unit. I could see some waving noise from this on the screen when screen is dark. But hardly noticable during movie or game.

Yep, the deal has been around for a while -- I picked one up a month or so ago and I seem to recall having read something about it being on sale here a few months before that.

I picked up a GE component video selector on clearance at Target today for $6.24. No digital audio on it, but I'm not going to complain for 6 bucks.

[quote name='mkelehan']Gamestop has a good house-branded component selector for $20.[/QUOTE]

That one works pretty decent, I didn't notice degradation on either hdtv channels or 360 games. Like the previous poster said, it would be nice if it had TOSLINK inputs and output, but for $20 it's a pretty decent deal. It looks like crap with the Gamestop logo, though.

wish i could find one of those bastards for 30 bux it keeps eluding me. would like to have the digital audio one but I would use it for a secondary one on a 2nd tv to hook up a billion more systems

[quote name='Kuma']I have one of the Pelican ones. Definatly worth 30 bucks, optical audio, no picture loss = win[/quote]

Are you sure there is no picture loss? What kind of tv are you using?
do you get the same unit as I got? --the version 1 pelican with 3 ethernet/optical port?
The noise is there for sure, at least on my unit--just a little hard to see if you dont look closely.
I believe the noise is from the power supply it uses, like some of the noises on the tv-out from a computer with a crappy power supply.

I've got the Pelican PL-957 and it's great. I've got Xbox, PS2, and GC hooked up via component, and I don't see any loss of signal -- even on a 60" display. The 957 also has three TOSLINK inputs. Of course, right after I got this one Pelican came out with the 1037 which looks cooler and has the LCD screen, but has two less inputs.

[quote name='kaw']I've got the Pelican PL-957 and it's great. I've got Xbox, PS2, and GC hooked up via component, and I don't see any loss of signal -- even on a 60" display. The 957 also has three TOSLINK inputs. Of course, right after I got this one Pelican came out with the 1037 which looks cooler and has the LCD screen, but has two less inputs.[/quote]

I see. thx.
Maybe I m too picky about picture quality...anyway, not bad for $30 dollars.
I might just turn back to use the component switch on my receiver.

Yeah...I have that one.....black color,ethernet outputs,digital inputs, yeah I
bought that when it was $99.99 and never gave me any prob's

Just so you guys know this thing causes some major banding issues with the Xbox anda little more subtly for the xbox 360. I tried 2 diff units from 2 diff merchants with the same problem and 2 different Television sets. I recommend a passive switcher instead, which is a shame because in terms of inputs and outputs this unit is really great. I only use it for optical audio switching now though and composite video switching between my DC and GC. Strangely the PS2 component does not have the same problem.

I have one, and while it's nice, I'm thinking about selling it and getting an Audio Authority or something.

I need a splitter that doesn't compromise on quality.

Weird -- I've got everything under the sun hooked into my v1 Pelican (GC, XB, PS2, TiVo w/ Component, VCR, SNES/N64, Saturn) to my Vega (Component SDTV) and never once noticed a drop in signal quality. Bought mine for $80 and never had a moment's problems with it. I was VERY concerned when i got it about potential problems -- but I've never looked back since :)

The image quality issues are mostly when displaying progressive scan quality images. I hear it's particularly bad at 720p and such from the Xbox 360, so I'm looking to avoid that issue.

To be honest, I've only noticed issues with certain movies when upconverted and Xbox games that run at 720p, so if you aren't using progressive scan quality video, you should be fine.

And I don't notice any sound issues with the toslink inputs and outputs either (Although since it's digital, I shouldn't.)

[quote name='mofo1115']I saw it at my local best buy,

the Pelican HD System Selector

for $24.99

if you have GGC then $19.99[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's the crappy 4 or 5 input one with no Toslink inputs or anything.

This thread is about the 8 input selector with three toslink and three ethernet, as well as 8 component, composite, s-video, and analog audio connectors.

I'm no expert on it and didn't read it that carefully, but I do know that there were tons of inputs and there were indeed three ethernet ports. I don't know if those are included in the inferior one you speak of because I have no experience at all with these things.

[quote name='minmao']Are you sure there is no picture loss? What kind of tv are you using?
do you get the same unit as I got? --the version 1 pelican with 3 ethernet/optical port?
The noise is there for sure, at least on my unit--just a little hard to see if you dont look closely.
I believe the noise is from the power supply it uses, like some of the noises on the tv-out from a computer with a crappy power supply.[/QUOTE]

the very same, im using an aftermarket powersupply though running to a monster cable surge protector. no noise getting through on my bad boy. Im using it on a 30 inch Sony HD CRT

JasonTerminator, That may explain why I'm not getting any interference on mine, since all I can watch is component-based SDTV. I'll have to get my unit over to my brother's house at some point to test it out on his HDTV setup.

I get a little ghosting off bright-on-dark letters at 720p/1080i with mine. It's -barely- noticeable, and then, only when looking at the CRT (Sony) from an extreme side angle. From the front, six feet away, you can't see it at all. It goes away if I unplug the red/right stereo cable, so it's probably a grounding issue.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Was it big?

The Pro selector is about the size of a full size DVD player. The crappier one is much smaller.[/QUOTE]

It seemed pretty big, I would say like the size of a smaller dvd player. It wasn't That tall though.

I have it and I'm happy with it. Haven't experienced any problems at all, although I am using an SDTV. I'm hoping I don't encounter any problems once I get an HDTV.

bread's done
Back