Old school LucasArts games being released on Steam (elsewhere?)

Tybee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
LucasArts announced today that they will be releasing a large portion of their back catalog on Steam this week, including several of their classic point-and-click adventure titles. They appear to be straight ports. The announced games are:

• Armed and Dangerous™
• Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
• Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
• LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
• LOOM™
• Star Wars Battlefront® II
• Star Wars Republic Commando®
• Star Wars Starfighter™
• The Dig®
• Thrillville®: Off the Rails™

If you've been keeping up with the news, the company has made a significant move to re-embrace its adventure game heritage, probably best evidenced by the upcoming (July 15 on XBLA) release of "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition," not to mention allowing Telltale Games to produce a whole new series of Monkey Island games.

I would like this to be a clearinghouse thread for further LucasArts news like this.

Official press release: http://www.lucasarts.com/company/vip/catalog/lec_backcatalog_2009.pdf

Joystiq interview with LucasArts CEO Darrell Rodriguez, who reveals that more games and likely more platforms are coming: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/06/b...ics-coming-to-steam-this-wednesday/#continued

EDIT:
For those too lazy to click the link, other revelations in the Joystiq interview:
- Seems like iPhone ports of some games are likely and may already be in production: "On iPhone, you know Apple's policy that we can't talk about a release until it's ready to release. But it would make sense that we would do something like that if we were to go in that direction ... wink wink, nod nod." Note that Rodriguez actually SAYS "wink wink, nod nod."
- Been said elsewhere, but sales of "The Secret of Monkey Island: SE" will determine whether additional games get this treatment. "We have the plans in our back pocket and if things go extremely well, we'll roll out those plans and put them into action. Whether it's Maniac, Day of the Tentacle, or Grim."
- Mac users may not be out in the cold: Rodriguez says, "We're definitely looking into that as well. We're looking at partners for potentially porting some stuff over to Mac, and figuring out the right distribution channel as well."

EDIT:
For the most up-to-date news on all of this, I recommend following the official Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames

EDIT:
Fate of Atlantis, The Dig, and (perhaps most pleasingly, since the talkie version was always hard to find -- but I have it ;)) LOOM will all be the versions with full voice.

EDIT:
- LOOM and Last Crusade will include PDF versions of the nifty books that were used as copy protection when those games first came out (in the case of the former, a book of spells, and in the case of the latter, Henry Jones Sr.'s grail diary).

- Games will run in whatever resolution you're running in (not sure how this works) and can run full screen or in a window.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loom and The Dig. Wow.

I'll take it.

Edit: No need to give DoTT a remake - just give me the game. It's already perfect. I'd buy it on all available platforms.

MI2 could use voices though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully this paves the way for both KOTOR games to show up on Steam, preferably in some kind of special priced bundle pack of the two.

Games I would want on my iPhone: Starwars battlefront, jedi outcast or dark forces 2/ mysteries of the sith. Other than that, Lucas arts can rot in hell.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']They need to give me Dark Forces. I miss playing that.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It would be so awesome to play that without playing on MSN Zone, haha.

Some more tidbits from the Twitter feed:

- LOOM and Last Crusade will include PDF versions of the nifty books that were used as copy protection when those games first came out (in the case of the former, a book of spells, and in the case of the latter, Henry Jones Sr.'s grail diary).

- Games will run in whatever resolution you're running in (not sure how this works) and can run full screen or in a window.

bread's done
Back