Old thread: New one linked in first and last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
New thread here:http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9443692

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. The second post is blank currently but is there for expansion or to revert back to the way things were. Third post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Fourth post has the PS2/GC values. Fifth post has DS/PSP values. Sixth post has hardware/accessory values for all systems.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

Upcoming Promotions:

Current Promotions:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

30% Trade Bonus (Various)
[quote name='GameStop.com']
620x225_30trade.jpg

Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new game only. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. Offer valid toward the following titles: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (offer valid: 1/23/12 - 2/5/12), Soul Calibur V (offer valid: 1/23/12 - 2/5/12), Twisted Metal (offer valid: 1/23/12 - 2/19/12), SSX (offer valid: 1/23/12 - 2/19/12), Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (offer valid: 1/23/12 - 2/19/12), Max Payne 3 (offer valid: 1/23/12 - 2/19/12), Mass Effect 3 (offer valid: 1/23/12 - 3/11/12), Street Fighter X Tekken (offer valid: 1/23/12 - 3/11/12), Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (offer valid: 1/23/12 - 3/11/12). See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. [/QUOTE]

$30 Guaranteed Trade-In Value (3/1/12)
[quote name='GameStop.com']
620x225_30guarantee2.jpg

Offer valid toward the following titles: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (offer valid: 1/31/12 - 3/1/12), Twisted Metal (offer valid: 2/14/12 - 3/13/12). $30 value is net after trade. Trade must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid only while new titles are priced at $59.99 (PS3, Xbox 360). Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.
[/QUOTE]

Trade 3 get $10 (Ends 3/11/12)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any 3 360, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP or 3DS games and get an extra $10 in-store credit.

Games with a trade value less than $2.00 are excluded from offer. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer subject to change at anytime. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. [/QUOTE]

$40 Hardware Bonus 360/PS3, $20/Wii (Ends 3/11/12)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Get an extra $40 in-store credit on any Xbox 360 or PS3 system traded, Get an extra $20 in-store credit when you trade any Wii.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.[/QUOTE]

PS Vita Handheld Trade Up Offer (Ends 2/20/12)

[quote name='GameStop.com']Get an extra $25 in-store credit when you trade your old hand held system toward the purchase of a new PS Vita.

Offer valid only toward DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000, PSP-3000 or PSP Go. Full trade value must be applied toward the pre-order/purchase of a new PS Vita. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. [/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value: $0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the EDGE card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2) *Fat unit requires either back cover or network adapter*
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above. They will not, however, take RROD 360 consoles. There may be stores that still do it, but official policy is to not take them in.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.
5.gif

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
No Information Yet:

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people here said that the $5 PUR coupon will stack with the B1G2 free deal, but how exactly does it work? Does it take 5 off one of the games, or off the entire purchase?

Nintendogs + Cats - Toy Poodle and New Friends (3DS) - $12
Nintendogs + Cats - French Poodle and New Friends (3DS) - $12
Flingsmash (Wii) - $2
Guitar Hero Van Halen (PS3) - $2

[quote name='SuperMario64']lol i bet u dont even have 3DS[/QUOTE]

Oh noes. Someone is angry that people flip. They are throwaway games, who cares. Personally traded in at least 6+ copies of each one without even so much as putting the cartridge into my 3DS. Unwrapped and traded in. Did take out the Club Nintendo codes though, nearly platinum for free because of these trades in (40 more points to go).

All for 3DS (should go without saying):

Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle and New Friends
: $12
Pilotwings Resort: $12
Steel Diver: $11

After the 3/$10 extra promo and PUR, I got $48.52 and now have ~$180 credit in total. \\:D/

I should probably just buy one of everything that shows up on Bestbuy's DotDs before they end on Christmas because of the awesome GS credit profit that apparently goes hand-in-hand with them. :lol:

[quote name='sylveranking']Oh noes. Someone is angry that people flip. They are throwaway games, who cares. Personally traded in at least 6+ copies of each one without even so much as putting the cartridge into my 3DS. Unwrapped and traded in. Did take out the Club Nintendo codes though, nearly platinum for free because of these trades in (40 more points to go).[/QUOTE]
I'm not against flipping, it's just the people who buy it and trade it right away, without even playing it. Or worse, not even owning the system.

Was able to get a nice gift card for my nieces for Toys R Us for Christmas and was still able to double the amount that I spent on the 3DS games from Gamestop.

Got to pick some games up that I missed now.

[quote name='SuperMario64']I'm not against flipping, it's just the people who buy it and trade it right away, without even playing it. Or worse, not even owning the system.[/QUOTE]

Flipping + playing the game = doesn't work. If you're doing that you can't flip on a worth while scale.

Those 3DS games as a flip is pretty solid. I don't feel bad because I assume yesterday's deals were just for that day (though the switch hasn't been flipped yet) so I played an instore pickup for three of Steel Diver and the Nintendogs.
Also wow at the Transformers game. I'll be dumping that as well

[quote name='SuperMario64']I'm not against flipping, it's just the people who buy it and trade it right away, without even playing it. Or worse, not even owning the system.[/QUOTE]If you dislike people who buy something for the sole purpose of trading it without ever playing a game, you dislike flipping.

[quote name='SuperMario64']I'm not against flipping, it's just the people who buy it and trade it right away, without even playing it. Or worse, not even owning the system.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, you just defined flipping. Well, assuming said person is intelligent enough to sell what they bought for a higher price.

And are you people serious when you say some Gamestops fingerprint? That's hilarious.

:360: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - $13
:wii: Flingsmash - $2
:3ds: Steel Diver - $11

Eh, not bad for spending $18 at Best Buy to get almost $40 in credit AND a wii remote :D

12/22

:360:
Tron Evolution - $5
Dead Rising 2 -$5
Dead Space 2 -$6
Transformers Dark of the Moon - $13
Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters - $8
Fear 3 -$9
WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2011 - $8

:3ds:
Steel Diver - $11
Madden NFL - $7
Pilotwings - $12

[quote name='mgford11']Hoping someone reports in early tomorrow morning with TIVs - missed out on going tonight :([/QUOTE]
Same here and I can't go until the evening

So I went to a few GS locations to trade in my BB DotD 3DS games and...they're still holding value.

But one policy around my parts at least is not to allow the trade-in of two identical games. I kept getting turned down when I showed them two copies of that Steel Diver game. Made felt like a criminal.

But in the end I was able to turn 9/12 of them, and I'm going to try again later for the last three. Thus far: $45 - +/-$180 GS credit.

Satisfied.

Im wondering, If i buy 3 ass creed revelations with the b2g1 free and trade them after this 39.99 sale for the game is over i would get 30 for each including the one i got for free. Instant profit :)

[quote name='Kortedala']So I went to a few GS locations to trade in my BB DotD 3DS games and...they're still holding value.

But one policy around my parts at least is not to allow the trade-in of two identical games. I kept getting turned down when I showed them two copies of that Steel Diver game. Made felt like a criminal.

But in the end I was able to turn 9/12 of them, and I'm going to try again later for the last three. Thus far: $45 - +/-$180 GS credit.

Satisfied.[/QUOTE]

It's funny that they do try and make you feel like a criminal. No one should feel that way though. It's just trading video games for fucks sake. I always try and laugh it off. At worst it just makes it a little bothersome having to get friends/significant others to help you trade.

[quote name='p-spiddy']It's funny that they do try and make you feel like a criminal. No one should feel that way though. It's just trading video games for fucks sake. I always try and laugh it off. At worst it just makes it a little bothersome having to get friends/significant others to help you trade.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I think it's rather unprofessional of them, though, that some locations will abide by this policy while other, more friendly, GameStops don't. One so much as even told me that since he's seen my two copies of Steel Diver he is unable to take either of them. He just shrugged me off, and his co-worker did the same. I thought to take my Best Buy receipt in there just to assure them that I did indeed buy them but I think that would only have made things worse.

Fortunately the GameStop closest to my house is one of the "friendlier" establishments.

Nonetheless: $180 for slightly less than $50 makes me a happy camper this holiday season. Thanks CAG.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Im wondering, If i buy 3 ass creed revelations with the b2g1 free and trade them after this 39.99 sale for the game is over i would get 30 for each including the one i got for free. Instant profit :)[/QUOTE]
That's actually a really good idea. Thanks.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Im wondering, If i buy 3 ass creed revelations with the b2g1 free and trade them after this 39.99 sale for the game is over i would get 30 for each including the one i got for free. Instant profit :)[/QUOTE]My math might be off, but would that give about $20 profit? This actually sounds like a pretty good idea...

The assassins creed idea is good. However you could also do this at Best Buy. TIV is 19.00 50% bonus is supposed to be next week. So it would be 91.20 for 3 copies after 50% and 10% GCU. Just showing there is a way to move credit and make some as well. If you just want a little more GS credit the original idea is brilliant.

I'm tempted on the Revelations idea, but idk If I want to go through the trouble just for $20 in credit
Though if my math is right it would also get you 3300 points.

If you managed to do it twice you would make $40 in credit and receiver almost 7000 points

I'm going to assume the extra 10% doesn't stack with the guaranteed TIV?

[quote name='kinney_bmx']I'm tempted on the Revelations idea, but idk If I want to go through the trouble just for $20 in credit
Though if my math is right it would also get you 3300 points.

If you managed to do it twice you would make $40 in credit and receiver almost 7000 points

I'm going to assume the extra 10% doesn't stack with the guaranteed TIV?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, the extra 10% always stacks regardless of promo. I could be wrong though. I don't have any experience with the guaranteed TIV.

[quote name='Tsel']As far as I know, the extra 10% always stacks regardless of promo. I could be wrong though. I don't have any experience with the guaranteed TIV.[/QUOTE]

It does. I did it last week and got $32.20 for Skyward Sword.

I might try this later. I currently have $170 in credit

$72 in credit for the 3 games. I'll get 1440 points for the purchase.
Trade them in for $99 if the 10% stacks. And get 1980 points for trading them in.

Thats $27($37 if I use my $10 off coupon) extra credit and 3420 points

And would leave me 314 points away from another $5 coupon

I could also go ahead and finish playing through it while I'm at it.

Edit: You could also make $15 in credit & 2354 points with Dead Island (PS3) the same way. Assuming the TIV holds for a few days

PS3
Demon's Souls $3
Create $5
XBox
Tiger Woods 12 $10
EA Sports Active 2 $8
Star Wars TFU 2 $5
EyePet $4
Once Upon a Monster $17.5

With all that credit and some previous credit from the last B2G1, I picked up 2xSaints Row 3 and Battlefield 3 (47.99 each) then flipped it to Amazon for $33.75 each for a net profit of $14.86. I had a ton of credit to burn and would rather have amazon credit to buy non-gaming stuff for my family and this was a great way of moving it.

While you are out you could also do a quick flip of Final Fantasy 13. Pick up 3 for each system cost is 17.xx

Trade in at Best Buy for 21 base plus bonuses. If you wait till next week the bonus is 50% +10% GCU

Total 33.60 at Best Buy in credit

[quote name='boosted02gt']While you are out you could also do a quick flip of Final Fantasy 13. Pick up 3 for each system cost is 17.xx

Trade in at Best Buy for 21 base plus bonuses. If you wait till next week the bonus is 50% +10% GCU

Total 33.60 at Best Buy in credit[/QUOTE]

Just don't get banned from BB doing that!

I do have a question though. Since on the page it says only available while titles are priced $60.

Since AC:Revelations is $40 is the promo still valid?

I guess you could just wait for the sale to be over? then it'll be $30 again?

I'd totally do that assassin's creed thing, but they'll give me issues about buying 3 copies in the first place, and then having to trade 3 in, and odds are the TIV will drop... idk if it's worth all the trouble. are there 2 other games that could trade in for more than they'll cost too?

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I'd totally do that assassin's creed thing, but they'll give me issues about buying 3 copies in the first place, and then having to trade 3 in, and odds are the TIV will drop... idk if it's worth all the trouble. are there 2 other games that could trade in for more than they'll cost too?[/QUOTE]

You are still going to get 30$ for it untill the middle of next month so you would be fine :). Im picking up 6 ass creeds later today lol

[quote name='jdb18']Where do you guys see the b2g1 for assassins creed at 30 each? I don't see it anywhere. Maybe I am blind.[/QUOTE]
herp derp

[quote name='jdb18']Where do you guys see the b2g1 for assassins creed at 30 each? I don't see it anywhere. Maybe I am blind.[/QUOTE]

Noooooo thats not what im doing lol. Im buying the copys of ass creed using the b2g1 free used promo and then after the 39.99 sale for a new assassins creed copy is over ill trade in each copy i brought for 30$. Buy doing this you get around 22$ profit for each 3 you trade in

[quote name='strait edge follower']snip[/QUOTE]
delete that. if he can't look back 1 page in the thread, are you going to go to GS with him, too?

[quote name='DerClaw']delete that. if he can't look back 1 page in the thread, are you going to go to GS with him, too?[/QUOTE]

I didnt think about that honestly lol. Post was nuked :)

[quote name='DerClaw']herp derp[/QUOTE]

I get it now. Buy 3 for $80 plus tax and then trade in 3. Still a net of only $10. What am i missing?

bought 3 assasins creed @ 75 after tax
and 3 call of duty 3 ps3 @ 90 after tax
$165 spent

will hopefully trade in 2x ass $60 to gamestop a bit more if pur %10 stacks
and will trade 2x Cod Mw3 $74 to trade in of the day
$134 tiv

$165
- $135
$30 to keep both games

hoping that in the 3 mw3 I find an online code as i already have one for assassins creed which i traded it earlier at amazon for $36.

Anyway, this seems like a good way to get banned/limited at GS for a pretty minimal amount of credit (and a lot of work since at least around here no GS will take more than 1 at a time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back