OLD THREAD: New thread in FIRST/LAST posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/330257-gamestop-tivpromo-thread-xxv-30-extra-toward-select-games-3040-for-titanfallinfamous-second-son-more/

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. Second post has the values for games/hardware for Microsoft devices. Third post has the values for games/hardware for Nintendo consoles and the fourth post has the values for Nintendo handhelds. Fifth post has the values for games/hardware for Sony consoles and the sixth post has the values for Sony handhelds.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

WHEN POSTING VALUES:

Please try to follow the example below if possible. If you feel the need to use the system icons, please only use them once at and at the top of the list. Also always post the system it's for even if it's only on one system or the value will not get updated. I don't always know it and I'm doing these updates from work to keep them as updated as often as possible so I can't spend time searching for that info.

5/13

Game1

Game2

Game3

PS3

Game1

Game2

Game3

Current Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Extra $5/$10 per game on XB1/PS4 games (Ends 4/6/14)
GameStop.com said:
Get an additional $5 in-store credit when you trade 1 PS4 or Xbox One game. Plus, get an additional $10 each when you trade in 2 or more PS4 or Xbox One games. Valid 3/24/14 - 4/6/14
Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Defective items may be eligible for trade at a lesser value. Trades subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward items normally accepted in trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. Offer valid through 4/6/14.

Extra 30% on Games/Accessories traded towards select games (Ends 4/28/14)
GameStop.com said:
Receive up to 40% extra in-store credit when you trade any games or accessories toward the following games:
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Destiny
  • LEGO The Hobbit
  • Elder Scrolls Online
  • MLB 14 The Show
Valid 4/7/14 - 4/28/14

Extra 30% on Media Player trades (Ends 4/28/14)
GameStop.com said:
30% Extra In-Store Credit when you Trade Any Media Player Valid 4/7/14 - 4/27/14
Offer not valid on cash trades. By trading your device you release GameStop from any claim relating to the product (including, but not limited to, loss of the device or its contents, any music, pictures, or other data stored on it.) Defective items may be eligible for trade at a lesser value. Offer good in the United States, Puerto Rico, and Guam only. Void where prohibited. Offer valid 4/7/14 through 4/27/14.

Guaranteed $40 trade-in credit for Infamous Second Son (Ends 4/20/14)
GameStop.com said:
Guaranteed $40 In-Store Credit When you trade inFAMOUS Second Son on PS4 by 4/20/14. Valid 3/21/14 - 4/20/14
$40 value is net value after trade. Valid only toward PS4 versions. Offer valid only while new game is priced at $59.99. Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Defective items may be eligible with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

Guaranteed $30 trade-in credit for Titanfall (Ends 5/7/14)
GameStop.com said:
Guaranteed $30 In-Store Credit when you Trade Titanfall on Xbox 360 Valid 4/8/14 - 5/7/14
$30 value is net value after trade. Xbox 360 versions. Offer valid only while new game is priced at $59.99. Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Defective items may be eligible with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21,22,23,,

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value: $0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the PowerUp Rewards card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your PowerUp Rewards card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

If I buy a used copy of a game that requires an online pass for multiplayer, will it come with an online pass?
If you purchase a used title published by either Sony or WB you get an online pass from GS on your receipt. That's also why the used copies are $55 instead of $48 when the MSRP is $60. No GS issued passes of games published by EA, THQ, etc. On those titles you're totally dependent on the previous owner not using the code.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
May or May Not Charge, Depending Upon County: Florida,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
actually you get it back on a giftcard/trade card. That's how I clean out my points every few months, use a 50 off one item pur coupon on a remote/new game/etc and then just return it later.
I never knew about this. Thanks for the tip.

Ever since an employee told me that I would be forfeiting the entire coupon amount upon a return, I always just banked points for a future purchase.

The easiest way to recoup for the coupon is to exchange for another item then return

Edit: That might be YMMV, but when I exchange for a separate item if I use a coupon when they do the exchange it's not by my receipt they scan my card scan the game I'm returning scan the new game and total that way it looks like you did a even exchange without coupons therefore making it so if you return the game you just exchanged for you would get the full credit back for it.

I think I just did if you can follow those steps above

Actually got a free GTA V collectors edition when it got converted doing this. Bought 360 CE used a $20 coupon total was $30 afterwards went and exchanged discs only for the ps3 version when they did the exchange did it like I said above scan card then scan game to get the original total no receipt scanning. That way when I returned the ps3 disc I got the $49.99 back

the way i do it is i always ask for gift receipt. i cashed out my 150k points, first was 50+25+10+5 towards 2ds and cashed out another 50 (+40) for 2ds again. then 40 for the titanfall. then return everything with the gift receipt. they cant track on how much you paid for the game without the actual receipt. i found this out when i bought a game that was on sale and later decided to return it full price with gift receipt. no im not trying to scamming over sale the sale price or whatever you call it, it happened on accident. all in all i gained $140 on top of my 150k points.

They could've, the last time I cashed out my pur points was beginning of February, you can do what tmega suggested, just an extra step.
It's not supposed to work that way though. It's happened to me by accident once before (the employee just returned the item based on the current price of the game rather than the actual total on my receipt). But you're supposed to lose the coupon. Just an FYI. It's gonna be a YMMV situation based on the attentiveness of the employee processing the return...

Well I tried it anyway on a used copy of thief and the 30% did trigger after he scanned the promo .
Yeah, I think you could technically buy anything as long as the employee scans the barcode to give you the extra 30% (because that's what triggers the bonus in those cases, not the actual purchase). YMMV on employees willing to do that on used copies though unfortunately...

i returned an item that i used a 10$ off coupon a day ago and i did NOT get the 10$ back. was something changed ?
Yeah the more I think about it, the more you're right. When I've done a return from a game that used a bday coupon, I notice the price of the game comes up as the current price at the time (before discounts). So the cashier will look at the receipt and manually adjust the subtotal amount to make sure he doesn't return more than what you paid. They are supposed to adjust it to the paid amount and coupons don't really count.

In his case, I think what happened was that the employee just scanned the item and it rang up as the original price but never adjusted for (as it should have).

Yeah the more I think about it, the more you're right. When I've done a return from a game that used a bday coupon, I notice the price of the game comes up as the current price at the time (before discounts). So the cashier will look at the receipt and manually adjust the subtotal amount to make sure he doesn't return more than what you paid. They are supposed to adjust it to the paid amount and coupons don't really count.

In his case, I think what happened was that the employee just scanned the item and it rang up as the original price but never adjusted for (as it should have).
to save people the trouble, might be ymmv, but i have never been able to get an exchange or return for full value of the item purchased with a coupon. It was actually a big hassle and had to get gamestop DM involved in order to get credit on a gift card for the coupon, which they did as a "one time courtesy"

I have even read on either the website or the coupon (can't remember but i know i have seen it) that when making a return you forfeit the coupon value.

Learned this when I bought a USED 29.99 game with a 10 off used purchase coupon, then went in store to exchange for another USED 29.99 game and they would not do it, they scanned everything and told me i owed 10 dollars to complete the exchange. The receipt showed that I paid 19.99 out of pocket and that s what they put towards your return or exchange. Employees stated you cannot get the coupon value back. this was 2 years ago when ssf4 was still 29.99

Just aheads up, I just finished Infamous: Second Son and posted it on amazon if anyone wanted to grab it. It does not come with the Coles Legacy DLC, but it is the limited edition. It is up there for $49.99 and I will ship priority regardless if you choose priority regular. And yes, I did play it all day and I am selling it and I did get 100% of the collectibles and no I am not going to want to play it again as a different path ( I don't really play games after I finish them. Once they are done they are dead to me) It is a good game, but right now my priority is turning credit into cash. I know this is CAG, so I doubt anyone will buy it here, but worth a shot.
Why not sell direct to a CAG to save amazon from taking a chunk of the price?

Why not sell direct to a CAG to save amazon from taking a chunk of the price?
I would if anyone was interested. I don't know if it is a good enough price for CAGs to jump on, so I figured Amazon would have a wider audience plus I am already going to be going to the post office sometime when I wake up ( 5am here time to go to sleep) and I am hoping it will be sold and so I can take it with the other things. I appreciate the advice.

Edit:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's gone. :razz: Just sold on Amazon.

per the gamestop website ps4 TIV just went UP!!!

275 base. after 50% promo you will get 412.5, gamestoo is now PAYING YOU to give them your USED ps4 and take one of their NEW ones

per the gamestop website ps4 TIV just went UP!!!

275 base. after 50% promo you will get 412.5, gamestoo is now PAYING YOU to give them your USED ps4 and take one of their NEW ones
Well, they are paying you if you don't get charged tax using trade credit. Man, I actually rushed out when I got my AWD PS4 last night because I didn't want to risk the value going down. Win some, lose some.

ok, long time since ive traded into gamestop. im sure you guys can help me here. if i were to trade my games in towards the purchase of a NEW console, THAT THEY DONT have in stock, (in order to get the extra 50% towards a new system). am i stuck having to get said gaming system? or because they DONT have it in stock, i am able to use my trade in credit, ( a few days later) towards anything? In short, My question is, am i obligated to buying the system im trading towards?
You can do a web-in-store order if you want a system they dont have in stock or just buy a Wii U and return it in a day or two.

Are people actually doing the ps4 for a ps4 trade or are you doing the multi step trade/buy -return buy process?
I traded in a PS4 from AWD for my current PS4 last week. I basically said I preferred a new console over a used one and didn't have any issues.

It stings a bit that I missed out on another ~$15, but what the hey.

Are people actually doing the ps4 for a ps4 trade or are you doing the multi step trade/buy -return buy process?
Yep I traded in a couple AWD used for new ones. Wish I had waited now of course since I just traded one yesterday but oh well. I can't believe they're now paying to swap haha.

Keep in mind the headset does not need to be included and you can get another $2.50 for it (as of yesterday anyway).

Why are you guys flipping a PS4 for a new PS4?
Because we can.

Seriously though I did it because I'd rather have a brand new and newer manufactured system than one made back in August/Sept when the bad controllers were quite possibly made. One of the systems I got from AWD had a worn controller. No way I was keeping that when I could go exchange it for basically free.

You also get about 12k PUR points I think it is.

Also when they were more scarce I'm sure people bought from AWD traded to GS and resold the new PS4s.

Why are you guys flipping a PS4 for a new PS4?
Some people got ps4's cheap from AWD so they are flipping those for a brand new one at less cost.

Peace of mind? Are there problems with the launch PS4? I got mines at launch and if that's the case might try doing this then.
Not necessarily, but like any new launch system some have bugs. Pretty sure most people trading in are ones who bought them from AWD at a lower price and just want a brand new one.

I live in CA though,won't I have to pay cash for the leftover?
Yeah it's not as good if you have to pay tax on credit, which you would being in CA. Still not bad now that you get $412.50 for it. Though I think today is the last day you can do it without spending 10k PUR points.

Gamestop Rant

So I go to pick up a copy of Garden Warfare from Gamestop and I decide to pick up a couple cheap games to play and add to my collection

I picked up Homefront, one of the BK games, Killzone 2, and Resistance 2, the guy was like, "You know these games suck right?

I was like, "sure."

He tries to sell the disc protection to me, I tell him no, he then goes on some speal about how I won't be able to sell them back to him or trade them for another copy if I scratch them

Then tries to tell me the stuff about PvZ and how I am aware that it's online only and requires storage space and demands to know the size of my hard drive

Then, of course, he asks me to pre-order something, "No, not today." *continues to try

Surprised he didn't say anything when I asked for complete copies, and he was on a personal call when I entered the store while he had a customer on hold

I'm usually pro-Gamestop, but sometimes people are right....

Gamestop Rant

So I go to pick up a copy of Garden Warfare from Gamestop and I decide to pick up a couple cheap games to play and add to my collection

I picked up Homefront, one of the BK games, Killzone 2, and Resistance 2, the guy was like, "You know these games suck right?

I was like, "sure."

He tries to sell the disc protection to me, I tell him no, he then goes on some speal about how I won't be able to sell them back to him or trade them for another copy if I scratch them

Then tries to tell me the stuff about PvZ and how I am aware that it's online only and requires storage space and demands to know the size of my hard drive

Then, of course, he asks me to pre-order something, "No, not today." *continues to try

Surprised he didn't say anything when I asked for complete copies, and he was on a personal call when I entered the store while he had a customer on hold

On saying those older games suck, I think he should have said something like Homefront doesn't have online anymore or something of that nature. Maybe his store has had a lot of returns and they're being instructed to stop some of them?

In terms of PvZ, all the recent EA games that require a HDD are a huge problem for GS employees as most common game players out there have old 360's or slim 4GB systems that can't play the game then you have people coming in wanting to return opened games. It being required online is also an issue for many GS customers.

In terms of the disk guarantee probably has a manager or district manager demanding more disk guarantees, which is a waste of time on any non 360 or Wii game.

But while there are reasons for some of the things that happened you were treated kinda rudely and you should send in the survey noting that person needs some training in customer service.

I can understand where he was coming from on some of the stuff, like the PvZ requirments and trying to sell disc protection and pre-orders, but coming from someone who's worked in retail and had to do similar stuff, there's certain ways to go about it and to realize when some customers, like myself, are informed and know what they're doing

I completely forgot about the survey though, will definitely fill that one out, which now that I think about it, he never pointed anything out on my receipt to me

I should also note that this store used to be my favorite GS location ever, but I just moved back here recently and I hope this guy is just a new employee and hasn't taken over as manager or something

Gamestop Rant

I was like, "sure."

Hey at least you didn't get hit with a Nerf gun in the store by a GS employee (yes this happened about 4-5 years ago). Suffice to say, I never went back to that store again. It really depends on the store though, ever since I moved Gamestop has been so much better due to the people working there unlike the last store.

Can I return a item that I used a $25 off coupon for from my PUR account (redeemed points)? Will that just turn into normal credit if I return the item?

Hey at least you didn't get hit with a Nerf gun in the store by a GS employee (yes this happened about 4-5 years ago). Suffice to say, I never went back to that store again. It really depends on the store though, ever since I moved Gamestop has been so much better due to the people working there unlike the last store.
Story time.

Can I return a item that I used a $25 off coupon for from my PUR account (redeemed points)? Will that just turn into normal credit if I return the item?
You got to call the Gamestop 800 number and ask them to refund you the points. Had someone tell me it has to be done within 24 hours of the return but I don't know if that's true or not. I have had Gamestop return two coupons before and besides the telephone hold time it was pretty quick and easy.

from my experience you will only get, or be able to put towards something else, the amount of cash/credit out of pocket you paid after using the coupon

You got hit with the gun? Not the foam whatever? That's cold.

Am I dumb or did they remove the trade in values from Gamestop.com?

I bought my PS4 with store credit so might just trade it in for the same amount. I'm just curious to know if the $265 base value is still in effect.

Am I dumb or did they remove the trade in values from Gamestop.com?

I bought my PS4 with store credit so might just trade it in for the same amount. I'm just curious to know if the $265 base value is still in effect.
tiv is currently 275. so 412.50 after 50% trade in if you really need the points or 15.00 (2.50 for the headphones) in credit, assuming you don't pay tax on credit in your state, then you can do that.

employee told me they sell used solo ps4s for 384.99 so they are out 30, weird practice but w/e

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back