OLD THREAD: New thread in FIRST/LAST posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334650-gamestop-trade-in-values-xxvi-values-available-on-ios-app-upcoming-50-bonus-with-coupon/

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. Second post has the values for games/hardware for Microsoft devices. Third post has the values for games/hardware for Nintendo consoles and the fourth post has the values for Nintendo handhelds. Fifth post has the values for games/hardware for Sony consoles and the sixth post has the values for Sony handhelds.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

WHEN POSTING VALUES:

Please try to follow the example below if possible. If you feel the need to use the system icons, please only use them once at and at the top of the list. Also always post the system it's for even if it's only on one system or the value will not get updated. I don't always know it and I'm doing these updates from work to keep them as updated as often as possible so I can't spend time searching for that info.

5/13

Game1

Game2

Game3

PS3

Game1

Game2

Game3

Current Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

None Currently.

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21,22,23,,

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value: $0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the PowerUp Rewards card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your PowerUp Rewards card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

If I buy a used copy of a game that requires an online pass for multiplayer, will it come with an online pass?
If you purchase a used title published by either Sony or WB you get an online pass from GS on your receipt. That's also why the used copies are $55 instead of $48 when the MSRP is $60. No GS issued passes of games published by EA, THQ, etc. On those titles you're totally dependent on the previous owner not using the code.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
May or May Not Charge, Depending Upon County: Florida,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the 10% extra trade in credit from the may issue the one that stacks with the 40% extra trade in value towards certain games?

I traded in an iPhone earlier. I can confirm that the 30% bonus towards Mario Kart does work. The 10% game informer bonus also stacks. As usual, I did not get the PUR bonus.

Does anyone have any information regarding the special TIVs for consoles towards the Kinectless Xbox One?  I can't find anything online referencing it but I saw a few articles. 

Also, does anyone know if those values would follow the same protocol as the 'Select Games' offer?  Meaning, I can trade towards the Kinectless Xbox one to get the higher values then cancel later on?

And I can use credit towards Kindle cards, right?

Edit:  It also looks like the new trade deal explicitly says no consoles/hardware...  Did the last deal say this even though they accepted consoles towards the trade special?

I traded in an iPhone earlier. I can confirm that the 30% bonus towards Mario Kart does work. The 10% game informer bonus also stacks. As usual, I did not get the PUR bonus.
was this today? Looks like the preorder promo was just extended today to last through 6/1

Is the Mario Kart 8 promotion something separate that isn't showing on their website? Planning on trading an iPhone in but I'll go to Gamestop as a second resort if Target doesn't take it.

My local gamestop has decided to tell me that i can't cancel a pre order because I used a trade in promotion to get extra credit. 

This is gonna be fun. 

so did the guy remember you or is it telling them that in the computer system now?
I did the pre order about 3 days ago, they tell me then that i have to put the full trade in value on the game and I can have whatever is left over to spend on other stuff, I know they can get around this but I say ok and go with it, I come in yesterday to cancel the pre order and then he tells me i can't do it because I used a trade in promotion, which I know is total BS, I ask him to show me where it says in the promotion that im not allowed to cancel and he stammers around saying he doesn't have the terms in front of him but that he knows I'm not allowed to cancel it. At this point im not in the mood to argue it so I just leave. I'm pretty sure the dude is the manager of the store so it makes it easier for him to act like he knows what he's talking about.

He's going off of the receipt and saying that the extra credit I got has to stay over on the pre order or be put towards another game to pre order, it's stupid.

It's not worth the burning survey I would say just because of this part of the terms it would only raise flags to your account. Just get the game when it comes out then return it sometime.

GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

Me trade:

(Wii)

Red Steel: 20 cents.

(PS3)

LEGO Marvel: $15.00

Naruto Generations: $2.50

Tekken Hybrid: $2.00

Game of Thrones: $3.00

If there's a game that comes out soon that you want just switch it to that game

Last edited:
I did the pre order about 3 days ago, they tell me then that i have to put the full trade in value on the game and I can have whatever is left over to spend on other stuff, I know they can get around this but I say ok and go with it, I come in yesterday to cancel the pre order and then he tells me i can't do it because I used a trade in promotion, which I know is total BS, I ask him to show me where it says in the promotion that im not allowed to cancel and he stammers around saying he doesn't have the terms in front of him but that he knows I'm not allowed to cancel it. At this point im not in the mood to argue it so I just leave. I'm pretty sure the dude is the manager of the store so it makes it easier for him to act like he knows what he's talking about.

He's going off of the receipt and saying that the extra credit I got has to stay over on the pre order or be put towards another game to pre order, it's stupid.
Pretty much everything he told you was complete bullshit. You NEED to blast him in a survey. Dude needs to learn not to lie to customers.

When I used the pro order promo to get extra credit I had to put the whole 30% which was 10 dollars on Destiny But I will be cancelling Next time I'm in there so I will see what shit he tries to pull

PS4 Call of Duty Ghost - $22

Are you suppose to receive a refurbished fee for not having the original case?

Just throwing my sig out there to try and give back to some of the regulars that has helped me out in this thread. Sorry for being off topic JP

No, and I'd use the survey to complain if you got one. Refurbish fees relate to disc condition ONLY.
Was charged one for that i would use that survey but this guy is a manager and im afraid he might burn me again when i make a huge trade there.

Was charged one for that i would use that survey but this guy is a manager and im afraid he might burn me again when i make a huge trade there.
The district manager, who reads those surveys and acts on them, is higher in authority than that guy. Don't be "bullied" into silence.

Man you people better not accept refurb fees for no cases.  I and many others do not want to have that become a norm.

5/20

:360: Fat console + wireless controller - $50  :-({|= 

It was a console i had sitting my my closet for like 3 years lol. But I traded it towards  :ps3: The Show so I got the extra 30%. I tried to stack it with the GI 10% but clerk wasn't having it.

In other non related news, I bought a PS3 SS 250gb off Amazon and it was shipped in a PS4 box. Not gonna lie I was praying there was a PS4 in it by "mistake".

To the guy who can't get his credit back, just cancel the pre order and tell him you want the money on your card. You'll get the full amount. The computer will force it.

To the guy who can't get his credit back, just cancel the pre order and tell him you want the money on your card. You'll get the full amount. The computer will force it.
i think he was saying, that the manager straight up told him he could not cancel, if anything i would say either try another day and go in without the receipt, just your PUR phone number, if you have one. You might get denied again if the manager gives employees a heads up, they will most likely listen to him than you.

worst case i would say just ask for a gift receipt when you pick it up then just return it

Today, 5/20

Values are base (40% extra in parenthesis)

PS Vita wifi console - $80 ($104)
2DS console - $55 ($71.50)
PS Vita 4gb card - $3.75 ($5.25)

3DS - Bravely Default - $17 ($23.80)
3DS - Pokemon X - $17 ($23.80)

PS3 - Gran Turismo 6 - $20 ($28)
PS3 - Ni No Kuni - $8 ($11.20)

Today, 5/20

Values are base (40% extra in parenthesis)

PS Vita wifi console - $80 ($104)
2DS console - $55 ($71.50)
PS Vita 4gb card - $3.75 ($5.25)

3DS - Bravely Default - $17 ($23.80)
3DS - Pokemon X - $17 ($23.80)

PS3 - Gran Turismo 6 - $20 ($28)
PS3 - Ni No Kuni - $8 ($11.20)
so still no 40% on any consoles? havent had too much luck having employees scan the 10% extra on console trade ins either

i think he was saying, that the manager straight up told him he could not cancel, if anything i would say either try another day and go in without the receipt, just your PUR phone number, if you have one. You might get denied again if the manager gives employees a heads up, they will most likely listen to him than you.

worst case i would say just ask for a gift receipt when you pick it up then just return it
When you want to cancel a pre-order, telling them that your moving away also works

That's the thing, he won't let it go through. He was about to do it and said "you have $9 left over from this, do you wanna put it towards another game?" I replied "nah i'll just put it on my trade card" which is when he brought up the im not allowed to cancel pre orders if i used a trade in bonus thing.

Called TiV for yesterday
dynasty warriors 8 extreme legends complete edition ps4 25
Wolfenstein : The New Order for ps4 25
Sleeping dogs for 360 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back