OLD THREAD: New thread in FIRST/LAST posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334650-gamestop-trade-in-values-xxvi-values-available-on-ios-app-upcoming-50-bonus-with-coupon/

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. Second post has the values for games/hardware for Microsoft devices. Third post has the values for games/hardware for Nintendo consoles and the fourth post has the values for Nintendo handhelds. Fifth post has the values for games/hardware for Sony consoles and the sixth post has the values for Sony handhelds.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

WHEN POSTING VALUES:

Please try to follow the example below if possible. If you feel the need to use the system icons, please only use them once at and at the top of the list. Also always post the system it's for even if it's only on one system or the value will not get updated. I don't always know it and I'm doing these updates from work to keep them as updated as often as possible so I can't spend time searching for that info.

5/13

Game1

Game2

Game3

PS3

Game1

Game2

Game3

Current Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

None Currently.

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21,22,23,,

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value: $0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the PowerUp Rewards card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your PowerUp Rewards card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

If I buy a used copy of a game that requires an online pass for multiplayer, will it come with an online pass?
If you purchase a used title published by either Sony or WB you get an online pass from GS on your receipt. That's also why the used copies are $55 instead of $48 when the MSRP is $60. No GS issued passes of games published by EA, THQ, etc. On those titles you're totally dependent on the previous owner not using the code.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
May or May Not Charge, Depending Upon County: Florida,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I attempted a trade in of a 360 console towards a PS4 today at a GS I don't normally frequent. My accessory did not get the 30% boost. For anybody that had a similar experience, was the employee supposed to scan a barcode? I asked the cashier and he said there wasn't anything to scan. I thought buying a PS4 was one of the "eligible E3 items for the 30% bonus" and he said it was actually the games and not the systems itself.

Did I just get tricked? Or was he right? Based on another cags Vita handheld/memory card trade towards a PS4, he still got the 30% boost on top of the system bonus. So it made me seriously doubt the guy.
You got tricked donut. The guy at my store tried to tell me I needed the full amount after only putting $5. He scanned the barcode after I asked to apply the entire amount. He never put the entire amount and he's like oh, I guess you don't need it.

Lol gamestop employees
I hate the guilt trip they give you when you try to cancel a preorder
Specially gonna hate canceling thewhite ps4 bundle though that white looks sexy

I just wanted to make sure of this, but when we trade games in when there is a pre-order bonus and then cancel that pre-order, we still get that bonus back right? I traded in COD ghosts ps3 for 19.50 including the 30% bonus, so I should get 19.50 back in store credit if I cancel that pre order?

Lol gamestop employees
They act like you are killing thier puppy.If that's one thing gs should fix is the canceling a preorder process,your credit you should be able to do what the hell you want with it.

Lol gamestop employees
Is that the general consensus? That the white looks good? I personally HATE white electronics, looks hipster/feminine to me. The original 360 wasn't bad, I think because it was at-least matte. Things like smartphones and this console, the glossy white, I can't STAND it.

Realistically, I hate ALL glossy electronics though, because it takes about 3 minutes before the thing is covered in fingerprints and looks terrible.

I just wanted to make sure of this, but when we trade games in when there is a pre-order bonus and then cancel that pre-order, we still get that bonus back right? I traded in COD ghosts ps3 for 19.50 including the 30% bonus, so I should get 19.50 back in store credit if I cancel that pre order?
yup.

just use the 30% trade in coupon. with pur you get the 40% and you wont have ti cancel anything

You got tricked donut. The guy at my store tried to tell me I needed the full amount after only putting $5. He scanned the barcode after I asked to apply the entire amount. He never put the entire amount and he's like oh, I guess you don't need it.
Technically, you don't. But depending on how the SM enforces it, a lot of times they will get the employees to only honor the bonus if you put all of your credit towards/pay off the game. I will honestly come out and say that it's slightly frustrating to see so much abuse of the promotions here, but what can you do? I'm sure I'm one of the only ones who feels that way.

Call a store and find out.
Fair enough. I asked when I didn't realize it was already 8 minutes past store opening time, but you're right. Called the first store in my area on the list in the Tier 3 link, and after spieling every other trade promotion they have, he confirmed they are not running a general 50% trade offer this weekend.

So, the tier 3 link is not the correct one.

And since I was now invested in the process, I pulled up tier 2, even though the closest store is 40 miles away. I called them, and they are running the general 50%. So, looks like this is the correct link to find a participating store:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/trade-weekend-tier2/default.aspx

So, perhaps it's time to record the pattern. (I'm not invested enough to look for historical mentions.)
June 6-8 - Tier 3
June 13-15 - Tier 2
June 20-22 - Tier 1

Is that the general consensus? That the white looks good? I personally HATE white electronics, looks hipster/feminine to me. The original 360 wasn't bad, I think because it was at-least matte. Things like smartphones and this console, the glossy white, I can't STAND it.

Realistically, I hate ALL glossy electronics though, because it takes about 3 minutes before the thing is covered in fingerprints and looks terrible.
I think the white looks awesome and I think most others do as well

Nice, thanks for looking into the dates!

Has anyone traded in a YLOD ps3 as part of the get $150 toward a PS4? The fine print of the offer says "Defective items may be eligible for trade at a lesser rate."
I'll give my local store a call after they open and update my own question later, taking after Kojubat's example.

Fair enough. I asked when I didn't realize it was already 8 minutes past store opening time, but you're right. Called the first store in my area on the list in the Tier 3 link, and after spieling every other trade promotion they have, he confirmed they are not running a general 50% trade offer this weekend.

And since I was now invested in the process, I pulled up tier 2, even though the closest store is 40 miles away. I called them, and they are running the general 50%. So, looks like this is the correct link to find a participating store:

So, perhaps it's time to record the pattern. (I'm not invested enough to look for historical mentions.)
June 6-8 - Tier 3
June 13-15 - Tier 2
June 20-22 - ?
One would think that Tier 1 (i.e., the one that actually includes stores in my area) would be up next, but we'll have to see.

So what are these GameStop store tiers? I've never heard of this. Just curious.

Also, of course this offer starts right after I trade off Watch Dogs. I wonder what it would have gotten (since these stores are in my area).

Guy didn't do a 50% bump on the two games I traded towards a ps4. Traded a ps3 in and am gonna return the ps4 I got today for a destiny bundle pre order

Just realized...I was planning on keeping Zoo Tycoon for my Bone, but if they're going to give me a good bit more credit that I spent ($11), I might flip it. Anyone checked the value on it?

One would think that Tier 1 (i.e., the one that actually includes stores in my area) would be up next, but we'll have to see.
Agreed.

So what are these GameStop store tiers? I've never heard of this. Just curious.
I have no idea what the term actually means to GameStop corporate, just that you can change the number in the URL and get a different list of stores. There is no tier 4 or higher, and there are stores that aren't in any of the three lists - many of the ones that are tend to be visual distance to a Walmart.

I see.

I just got an e-mail from GameStop that my store is running this promo. I'm in Springfield, IL. What's funny about how you said that the non-tiered are usually near a Wal-Mart is that there are 3 GameStops in this city. One of the two running the promo is in the same strip as a Wal-Mart and Target. The second is in a strip located right in front of another Wal-Mart (yeah, we have 3 Wal-Marts). The third store, which isn't in that tier (not sure if it's in another tier or no tier) isn't next to a Wal-Mart. It's about 3-5 minutes of driving form the first GameStop and between Kohl's and Toys R Us.

I Am curious about something with preorders. Lets say i preorder a game for the minimum $5. If i happen to never pick it up after a long time or never go in to cancel it, doesn't gamestop send you something email wise with like a $5 giftcard after some time and auto cancel it? I feel like i remember this happening before in the past but its been a really long time ago.
I highly doubt they notify you. Just a few weeks ago, I just moved a $5 preorder deposit I had from Assassin's Creed: Black Flag towards Destiny.

you probably got tricked. you have been here long enough to know you can't trust gamestop employees.
I just left a store and had a employee say something similar when I tried to trade some games and memory cards towards the destiny ps4 bundle, manager came over and told him to scan the barcode and that gave me the bonus.
I asked about the boost and the employee told me it was only good for preorders of stuff coming out. I think they are just making up their own rules since the wording of the promo is so vague.
Ok thanks guys. Yeah I had a feeling something was up. I should have pressed the issue and I guess I just wasn't up to it at the moment and conceded. I know that the stores I usually frequent are really good to me and had I gone there in the first place, I'm sure they would have double checked for me.

I picked up some cheap games from him anyway in the same transaction so I will be giving him a really bad survey to teach him a lesson. He'll remember me once he hears about the comments from his manager but I rarely go that Gamestop anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Dirksen Pkwy store is the best. I used to drive to Springfield just to raid their PS2/GC sections
That's the one farthest from me, so I never go. Where do you live that you're able to head up to Springfield?

I tend to go to the one across from our mall, but there's been little reason of late. I get more in trade from Best Buy, and now that I have GCU, no reason to give them more for new games, either.

For the guaranteed 40 for watch dogs is it required to have purchased the game from game stop ? I know similar promos in the past it didn't matter .

June 6-8 - Tier 3
June 13-15 - Tier 2
June 20-22 - ?
Thanks for the head's up, just checked the link for last weekend and not a single participating store showed up within 100 miles. This weekend, it's mostly out of the way stores with one semi-close in the ghetto.

Also my store had the 50% bonus today, and I got PS4 Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for $38 used minus the 20% off birthday coupon was $30.39 (no PUR Pro)

Glad i waited. my store is also doing 50% this weekend. Need to do a trip to target during lunch time and to gamestop after work. ;-)

So I'm guessing if I wanted to get the most credit out of my stuff, trade it in (320GB slim) for a destiny preorder PS4, then cancel it and get it on a gift card?

Going to cancel my destiny bundle preorder on Monday what are some good trades to convert gamestop to best buy credit I know trials fusion and Phineas and ferb so far

If I trade toward a pre-order to get a promo (I'm thinking 3DS XL toward the white PS4 bundle for the 50%), can I later cancel the preorder and keep the promo? Or will the refunded credit just be the base value?

I DO want a PS4, but I have about $350 in Target credit from the triple promo.

Base 6/13

Xbox One - FIFA 14 $25

Playstation 4 - FIFA 14 $25

Xbox 360 - Rayman Legends $14

Xbox 360 - Assassin's Creed IV $11

Xbox 360 - Call of Duty Ghosts $12

Playstation 3 - Diablo 3 $12

Playstation 3 - Call of Duty Ghosts $15

Playstation 3 - Assassin's Creed IV $10

If I trade toward a pre-order to get a promo (I'm thinking 3DS XL toward the white PS4 bundle for the 50%), can I later cancel the preorder and keep the promo? Or will the refunded credit just be the base value?

I DO want a PS4, but I have about $350 in Target credit from the triple promo.
you should have been grabbing games at Target using preorder cards and cartwheel coupons and "moving" the credit over to GS if that was the store of choice. Still have a day and a half if there is anything left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back