OLD THREAD: New thread in FIRST/LAST posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334650-gamestop-trade-in-values-xxvi-values-available-on-ios-app-upcoming-50-bonus-with-coupon/

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. Second post has the values for games/hardware for Microsoft devices. Third post has the values for games/hardware for Nintendo consoles and the fourth post has the values for Nintendo handhelds. Fifth post has the values for games/hardware for Sony consoles and the sixth post has the values for Sony handhelds.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

WHEN POSTING VALUES:

Please try to follow the example below if possible. If you feel the need to use the system icons, please only use them once at and at the top of the list. Also always post the system it's for even if it's only on one system or the value will not get updated. I don't always know it and I'm doing these updates from work to keep them as updated as often as possible so I can't spend time searching for that info.

5/13

Game1

Game2

Game3

PS3

Game1

Game2

Game3

Current Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

None Currently.

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21,22,23,,

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value: $0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the PowerUp Rewards card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your PowerUp Rewards card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

If I buy a used copy of a game that requires an online pass for multiplayer, will it come with an online pass?
If you purchase a used title published by either Sony or WB you get an online pass from GS on your receipt. That's also why the used copies are $55 instead of $48 when the MSRP is $60. No GS issued passes of games published by EA, THQ, etc. On those titles you're totally dependent on the previous owner not using the code.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
May or May Not Charge, Depending Upon County: Florida,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone with the iphone app able to give me an updated value for the xbox one with and without kinect if possible? Curious if they really kept it at $200 and $230 or if they bumped it up to something decent since the 50% ended on the 13th. Thanks in advance.
they kept it at 200 w/o and 230 with.

A guy cancelled a preorder for me tonight and did his job well. I told him I appreciated it and would make sure to give him a good survey.

Although he was very adamant that only one PUR coupon could be applied when I was picking up my preowned MGS:V GZ. I was going to attempt to stack the birthday coupon with a $5 off coupon. I know I did this in the past. Did they change the system since then?
He was wrong.

I stacked birthday with SOTW three times today.

And there was a video about slidecage released today: http://www.vevo.com/watch/USRV81400343

Yes Really. Some of the games I checked seem to have a high value, and since this is just a deal where (from what I see looking on the website) you can just go in to the store no coupon or anything. It would not be hard at all to update the system to show values with the 50% on top. Example would be alice madness returns shows on gs app as $10 (so $15 I assume the 50% is not added on) and best buy shows only $1 seems hard to believe gs is paying so much.

So yes really is the app showing base value or is the 50% included

Yes Really. Some of the games I checked seem to have a high value, and since this is just a deal where (from what I see looking on the website) you can just go in to the store no coupon or anything. It would not be hard at all to update the system to show values with the 50% on top. Example would be alice madness returns shows on gs app as $10 (so $15 I assume the 50% is not added on) and best buy shows only $1 seems hard to believe gs is paying so much.

Use common sense. Please.

Do not compare values to BB. Best Buy preowned games are almost always cheaper than GS. Especially older games. For instance Dirt 3 360 is $4.99 at Best Buy so the base is $0.25. It costs $29.99 at GS with a $10 base.

edit - Always compare the newer games though, since it could be a difference of $2-$3 depending on promotions. I meant older games that still have good value are usually much more at Gamestop than Best Buy. Those are usually not worth comparing.

Thank you. This makes sense.
Always compare the newer games though, since it could be a difference of $2-$3 or more depending on promotions. I meant older games that still have good value are usually much more at Gamestop than Best Buy. Those are usually not worth comparing.

Went into a gamestop last week and a dude refused to let me use the birthday coupon from my phone, like I've done a million times by now, and insisted he needed a printout version of it because he "had" to take it from me and won't work unless he scans the code." I explained it'll work and that it's a reusable code, and he got more and more mad at me, snobbishly laughing at me as if to be condescending, and for once I lost my cool and told him "cool I'll go to a different store and just use it there, like I always do. Thanks man."

Bad mistake. Went to my local store where my friend works and he said the guy sent out an email to every store in my town describing me and saying to "watch out for me abusing coupons." He laughed and said "it's cool dude just don't use any for a while." The guy who got mad seriously typed out a whole page long email, explaining my description hahaha.

What do I do? I'm not banned or anything, and I've only ever used the coupon that's edited to just say 20% off and mentions nothing of birthdays, but this dude knew somehow and went this far. My friend is a manager and even though he's let me use the coupon dozens of times still had no idea what it was specifically or how it never ran out until I explained it, so how did this guy know and why did he care so much? If anyone calls me out, couldn't I just show there's no mention of it being a birthday coupon and explain he sent out the email because I didn't have a paper version?

;_;

Went into a gamestop last week and a dude refused to let me use the birthday coupon from my phone, like I've done a million times by now, and insisted he needed a printout version of it because he "had" to take it from me and won't work unless he scans the code." I explained it'll work and that it's a reusable code, and he got more and more mad at me, snobbishly laughing at me as if to be condescending, and for once I lost my cool and told him "cool I'll go to a different store and just use it there, like I always do. Thanks man."

Bad mistake. Went to my local store where my friend works and he said the guy sent out an email to every store in my town describing me and saying to "watch out for me abusing coupons." He laughed and said "it's cool dude just don't use any for a while." The guy who got mad seriously typed out a whole page long email, explaining my description hahaha.

What do I do? I'm not banned or anything, and I've only ever used the coupon that's edited to just say 20% off and mentions nothing of birthdays, but this dude knew somehow and went this far. My friend is a manager and even though he's let me use the coupon dozens of times still had no idea what it was specifically or how it never ran out until I explained it, so how did this guy know and why did he care so much? If anyone calls me out, couldn't I just show there's no mention of it being a birthday coupon and explain he sent out the email because I didn't have a paper version?

;_;
To be fair, you shouldn't have said it was a reusable code, as that immediately raises red flags for junior detectives.

As for what you can do, I suppose you can justify yourself that way. One other thing you can do is buy something cheap through the employee who was giving you trouble and give him a bad survey, pointing out his highly unprofessional behavior in that he wouldn't let you redeem a coupon from your phone (would he have denied redeeming an actual PUR coupon from your phone, because that's how I'm forced to do it most of the time?) and was acting unpleasant in general.

I just got an email from Gamestop with a Unique Code Coupon to take to the store for a 50% trade-in bonus on games.  Why am I getting this?  Isn't the trade-in bonus the same for everyone?  The coupon has the same dates of 7/14 to 7/27 so i'm assuming it's just a gimmick coupon.

told him "cool I'll go to a different store and just use it there, like I always do. Thanks man."
;_;
The worst thing you could do was to say that. You only brought more attention to yourself. You should have just said thanks and left. Drawing more attention to the code only risks getting the whole thing terminated and screwing every cag in the process.

:/

;_;
This sounds like the dick manager at one of the stores in Independence, MO. This guy is the poster child for why gamestop employees get a bad rap. I had a similar experience to yours with the douche acting the same way (not about the coupon but the Angry Birds SW WiiU for $10 that they had advertised a month or so back). For some reason, some GS employees immediately go into "NO" mode and no matter how, how long, or how polite you try to explain that what you're doing is legit, they still think you're trying to rob them. Don't go back to that store, wait a few days, and start shopping again at other stores using the coupon. Or you could print it off, buy something from him, then tell him to retract his regional email? That would really freak him out too that you know about the email.

;_;
Had the same experience and reamed the employee/manager on tellgamestop.com, during my experience she called another manager friend of mine who calmly explained to her that if the customer didn't have a printer how would they ever be able to use the code.

;_;
Reading your post gets on my nerve. -_-

Burn him in a survey or something! Idk, CAG any thoughts? :wall:

;_;
I've been there: The only person lifetime banned from Funcoland.

Does the bday coupon work on preowned accessories as well? I just noticed my local store recently converted some street fighter x tekken 360 fightpads. Either recently or they found them buried in the back room recently. I always wanted one of these and never managed to find them on clearance like some cags. I think they were tagged $23.99.

Does the bday coupon work on preowned accessories as well? I just noticed my local store recently converted some street fighter x tekken 360 fightpads. Either recently or they found them buried in the back room recently. I always wanted one of these and never managed to find them on clearance like some cags. I think they were tagged $23.99.
Nop

;_;
I'd let it go and lay low for a bit if I were you. You might tempt a full on ban if you bring more attention to yourself. As a flipper, it's been my policy to not fill out negative surveys or make waves.

Sure I deal with bad service occasionally (I would have bitten my tongue and not said the line about going to another store), but considering that I use flipping to pay for my gaming habits it's not worth killing the Golden goose.

It might be tempting to burn that guy on a survey, but if you're constantly reusing the birthday coupon I'd be willing to bet you don't want your local District Manager taking a fine tooth comb to your purchase/trade history.

Last of all, face it you got caught exploiting a coupon that wasn't yours. I'm the last one to get on a soap box about shopping morality, but the guy was doing his job denying your coupon. I'm not saying I don't use the coupon, but most competent GS employees know what that coupon is for (they can also see your birthday pretty easily and surmise that it's not your coupon). I've been denied or hassled over the coupon a few times, and I always just tell them not to worry about it and return the game later.

Good luck with whatever direction you take on this. Hopefully your situation gets better not worse.

My policy is to always print out coupons even for reusable ones, yeah I wasted about 6 cents in paper and ink but there's something about taking in a piece of paper that eases the cashier's minds greatly.

Could someone please answer these two questions?

1.Does gamestop take samsung galaxy s4 mini's?

2.Does those summer coupons work on phones?

Just checked that out the conversion from what Deader posted.

My $59.67 Walmart Gift Card nets $50.72 GameStop credit.  Which is about 15% less.

Can the $5 off steal of the week coupon be used multiple times?

I remember before I was able to print out the coupons and take them to various gamestops and they would still be effective (not 1 time use).

Or did they ever close this loophole?

Thanks.

I was told today that gamestop now takes graphing calculators for trade.
Don't know what the trade values are but I resold mine for a decent amount of money on eBay when I finished college.

Thank God you could play mini games on them while looking like you were doing your classwork. Got me through many boring lectures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back