OLD THREAD: New thread in FIRST/LAST posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334650-gamestop-trade-in-values-xxvi-values-available-on-ios-app-upcoming-50-bonus-with-coupon/

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. Second post has the values for games/hardware for Microsoft devices. Third post has the values for games/hardware for Nintendo consoles and the fourth post has the values for Nintendo handhelds. Fifth post has the values for games/hardware for Sony consoles and the sixth post has the values for Sony handhelds.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

WHEN POSTING VALUES:

Please try to follow the example below if possible. If you feel the need to use the system icons, please only use them once at and at the top of the list. Also always post the system it's for even if it's only on one system or the value will not get updated. I don't always know it and I'm doing these updates from work to keep them as updated as often as possible so I can't spend time searching for that info.

5/13

Game1

Game2

Game3

PS3

Game1

Game2

Game3

Current Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

None Currently.

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21,22,23,,

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value: $0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the PowerUp Rewards card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your PowerUp Rewards card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

If I buy a used copy of a game that requires an online pass for multiplayer, will it come with an online pass?
If you purchase a used title published by either Sony or WB you get an online pass from GS on your receipt. That's also why the used copies are $55 instead of $48 when the MSRP is $60. No GS issued passes of games published by EA, THQ, etc. On those titles you're totally dependent on the previous owner not using the code.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
May or May Not Charge, Depending Upon County: Florida,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont like that idea i kinda like the promos they do knowing when to trade and when to hold. but i guess its a business decision. gamestop will be gone sone anyway

It is real, I was all excited to come tell you guys about it. The store manager told me they had a big conference call about it. Said "The number one complaint is our tiv's." So they are just going to offer more with out the bonuses. I think this will be bad for us cags, many things I trade in are only profitable because of bonuses. Although it will be nice to not have to cancel preorders. They're going to have much less preorders now and maybe even a more accurate idea of how many games they need.

It's because the general person who thinks the values are low will be thrilled by this, while people that are more knowledgable about how to maximize profit like us will likely be hurt by this.

Yeah this is gonna suck for CAGs as they push preorders more for the good bonuses and have fewer bonus periods where we can score big.  

Oh well, I'm sure there will always be arbitrage opportunities, just may be forced to put more of your trade ins towards pre-orders which you cancel down the line.  I wonder if Gamestop would ever implement something like GCU, I gotta imagine thats killing them on pre-orders and new games.

Well it seems the profitable flips we're used to will soon be over. On the plus side, those 50% coupons for the end of the month just became quite a bit more valuable. Ill be trading in more backlogged games that week then ever before since those opportunities will soon become few and far between.

I had about $150 worth of crap sitting here to go to eBay....looks like I may just wait and see what I can get at GS at the end of the month with this and the 50% coupons.

Should have held on to my GTAV today :cry: By this math is would be worth $36 that week. Of course that value would have probably been nuked.

:-({|=

Looks like I might have to switch my GS credit over to BB or something. Should have tried to get in on GCU when it was $60 last time...

Yeah this doesnt seem good for us that know how to flip.

Now, if this goes live August 18th like it says, and then end of the month we have those 50% trade in bonus coupons, we might be in for some epic trade ins lol

I wonder if Gamestop would ever implement something like GCU, I gotta imagine thats killing them on pre-orders and new games.
I still think the majority of game buyers shop at GameStop by default and don't even know about GCU.

Funny story, on release day for TLOUR I was at GameStop and this guy came in looking for a copy. The clerk advised him that they were sold out except for preorders. The guy continued to hang around and asked them to call several other GameStop's within a 20 mile radius. He must've been there for 15 minutes and kept saying "damn, I should've preordered" (I thought maybe I was in a GameStop commercial or something). The point of the story was that while this guy was willing to drive 30+ mins to another GameStop, while the Best Buy across the street had 5+ copies on the shelf.

The part that concerns me is increasing trade values equates to increasing the prices across the board on pre owned titles . Seems to me they've already got the ball rolling on this , if you search for used games using the filter for prices low to high you'll notice how few titles they have for 5$ or less . There's a ton of games that used to fall in that price range for 360/ps3 that have gone up in price . I noticed this trying to find 2 games to pair with bulletstorm for the b2g1 , I could barely find anything I wanted .

I still think the majority of game buyers shop at GameStop by default and don't even know about GCU.

Funny story, on release day for TLOUR I was at GameStop and this guy came in looking for a copy. The clerk advised him that they were sold out except for preorders. The guy continued to hang around and asked them to call several other GameStop's within a 20 mile radius. He must've been there for 15 minutes and kept saying "damn, I should've preordered" (I thought maybe I was in a GameStop commercial or something). The moral of the story was that while this guy was willing to drive 30+ mins to another GameStop, while the Best Buy across the street had 5+ copies on the shelf.
U should have told him.

I've got a buttload of 50% coupons for end of the month, but almost no games to trade in :(  gonna have to finish TLOU ps4 fast so I can trade that in, not sure what else will be good.  maybe things like Wolfenstein, UFC, etc if some deals come up at BB and Target the next week or two.

and yeah I foresee the first day of the 50% trade day being epic, with GS trade values not quite updated and getting great prices, probably be fixed by end of the day though

you shoulda bought all the copies of TLOU at best buy and hung out outside gamestop, asking people if they want a good deal and flashing your overcoat, loaded with TLOU remastered

Now, if this goes live August 18th like it says, and then end of the month we have those 50% trade in bonus coupons, we might be in for some epic trade ins lol
Would be nice, if they at least went out with a bang.

This could be one of the last goes for a trade promo like this.

Here's my problem with it: I have a copy of Assassin's Creed for PS3. It trades in for $2, they sell it for $10-ish. How much can they really give me for that game? I'm not gonna complain, but a lot of that old shit is worth about $2.

I'm also not saying the GTA5 I traded in today was worth more than the $28 (after bonus) I got for it. Hell it's a year old, $40 last week, and I think you can get it on eBay for $30-ish. I guess this will just simplify the whole process, make that $20 game $26 after the bump and PUR 10%.

I think the games that have a $5-$12 TIV will benefit a lot from this, gonna make them worth $6-$14-ish. The high end and new stuff will still have a good value, so we won't lose there, and not having to preorder stuff will help too. I always throw crap on a preorder, even if I move it a few times to get to something I really want.

Hope this works out for us for at least a couple weeks, because selling this stuff on eBay is sometimes a PITA.

What are they going for? They let you just trade in cord? People buy cheap ones off eBay or what?
last posting a couple days back was $24. Been that way since I've been tracking them for a year or so.

No, adapter and cord.

Yes, that's one place of many.

Just picked up two to get in before the nuke the promos. Then we'll see if they're as profitable post TIV boost.

last posting a couple days back was $24. Been that way since I've been tracking them for a year or so.

No, adapter and cord.

Yes, that's one place of many.

Just picked up two to get in before the nuke the promos. Then we'll see if they're as profitable post TIV boost.
I still have 7 of the 50+ I ordered off ebay, all were OEM and original. Just got a soft ban and am sorta "that guy" at my local store so i gotta travel to offload them now.

Can someone post a pic of which ones they are? I have a few laying around from spare just want to make sure they are the same ones. I am assuming it is just the ps3 power cord.

Honestly, a change in the TIV "game" was needed. No one wants to do the $5 preorder for 30% because everyone who has done it at least once knows it's a pain in the ass to get it cancelled/changed. Even if it's from just one game to another. They can also change trade to "sell" all they want, it doesn't change the nature of the business. They're going to do promos, it clearly says "targeted offers." It just won't be the silly 3-5-7 tiered, 30% preorder and 2 for extra $x crap any more. It'll probably include more preorder bonuses/exclusives (Madden NFL 15 Ultimate, AC GameStop edition, etc) and maybe an extra 10% on certain games (Madden, Halo 5, etc). Although it does suck we lose ~10% because most of their customers can't do math, however I can streamline my trip. I can know the values, walk in, "sell," ignore their preorder requests, and leave. Values might even be a little more stable since we don't have to run to the store before a promo ends on Sunday (I imagine stock levels increase rapidly at the end of a promo). Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and ride this out. Change is hard.

Honestly, I wish they would move their stores outside of malls but still stay nearby. I just don't like walking through the mall with games/electronics to "sell." Also they need to find a better way to identify and reward good employees. Even if I have to do more surveys, I'd rather help the guys and gals who help me get in and out quick or get me hard to find stuff.

Who are you?

Honestly, a change in the TIV "game" was needed. No one wants to do the $5 preorder for 30% because everyone who has done it at least once knows it's a pain in the ass to get it cancelled/changed. Even if it's from just one game to another. They can also change trade to "sell" all they want, it doesn't change the nature of the business. They're going to do promos, it clearly says "targeted offers." It just won't be the silly 3-5-7 tiered, 30% preorder and 2 for extra $x crap any more. It'll probably include more preorder bonuses/exclusives (Madden NFL 15 Ultimate, AC GameStop edition, etc) and maybe an extra 10% on certain games (Madden, Halo 5, etc). Although it does suck we lose ~10% because most of their customers can't do math, however I can streamline my trip. I can know the values, walk in, "sell," ignore their preorder requests, and leave. Values might even be a little more stable since we don't have to run to the store before a promo ends on Sunday (I imagine stock levels increase rapidly at the end of a promo). Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and ride this out. Change is hard.

Honestly, I wish they would move their stores outside of malls but still stay nearby. I just don't like walking through the mall with games/electronics to "sell." Also they need to find a better way to identify and reward good employees. Even if I have to do more surveys, I'd rather help the guys and gals who help me get in and out quick or get me hard to find stuff.
Obama? Guys Obama works for gamestop! I knew it! Because CHANGE.

Dick Chenney sponsored this post.

Well it did say that the "average" trade value will increase 20%. Meaning many titles could go up say, 35% and others could even go down slightly. We'll just have to wait and see. My guess is next gen titles go up and last gen stay but who knows. I still suggest taking full advantage of the 50% trade coupons later this month though

i dunno why people keep saying this change eliminates the pre-order issues - everything I read said that pre-orders will basically be getting a 30% perma trade bonus, which means if you don't do a pre-order when you trade in you will be screwed.  

Thats much worse for CAGers than it is now, because right now usually a pre-order bonus week is soon followed by a better bonus week (50%, $15 bonus when you trade in somethingsomething, etc).  If they eliminate most of the bonus weeks then the only way to get the "good" bonuses will be to pre-order.

if anything this just seems like a way to drive down TIV values for high value games, and get more customers to always be pre-ordering.

i dunno why people keep saying this change eliminates the pre-order issues - everything I read said that pre-orders will basically be getting a 30% perma trade bonus, which means if you don't do a pre-order when you trade in you will be screwed.

Thats much worse for CAGers than it is now, because right now usually a pre-order bonus week is soon followed by a better bonus week (50%, $15 bonus when you trade in somethingsomething, etc). If they eliminate most of the bonus weeks then the only way to get the "good" bonuses will be to pre-order.

if anything this just seems like a way to drive down TIV values for high value games, and get more customers to always be pre-ordering.
so you're saying i should offload now while i can right? :D

So if I do my math right COD Ghosts for the ps4 is $18 and Killzone Shadowfall is $7. So I will get about $40 in credit with the 2 for 15 deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back